PDA

View Full Version : Less car, more fun

Gardenarian
3-9-15, 2:55pm
We moved to Oregon at Christmas, and I haven't been to the gas station since. Most everything is within walking/biking distance.
I have used my car occasionally to carry heavy/bulky items (I just bought a bunch of half wine barrels for the garden). The tank is getting pretty low - I want to see how long I can go!

In the Bay Area I was filling my car almost weekly. I didn't realize how much I was driving, and how much I disliked it, till I came here.

oldhat
3-9-15, 9:10pm
I'm envious. I'd love to live in an area that's completely walkable. Actually, my neighborhood isn't that bad. I can walk to a number of restaurants, a CVS, a couple of delis and a few other things. But the nearest supermarket is more than a mile away (and it's not very good), the nearest library two miles, and there's no real green space anywhere nearby. And of course I have to drive to work.

Biking would expand my range, but nobody's going to convince me that biking on these heavily trafficked, narrow streets isn't taking your life in your hands. So, for now there's no getting away from driving. I'm nearing FI, though, so perhaps one day I will find my walkable Shangri-la and move there.

ToomuchStuff
3-10-15, 4:10pm
You moved, or are bilocated? (look at your location in your preferences)
While I wouldn't let the car be empty (in case of emergency), I wonder about how far you went to get the barrels and how many of them? (verses say a bike trailer) I know some others who have used scooters with trailers (one kid I know hauls his laundry that way), and if not too heavy, but longer then pedal power, that might be another option.
Also, what about delivery verses car costs?

I get paid to drive and pickup stuff for work. It wouldn't work for me, but what I do is combine those errands with my own.

ctg492
3-10-15, 5:19pm
Never getting in a car again would be my perfect world. I accomplished a near miss a couple years ago. Then the driving for parents took over. Today as I was riding my Detroit I was smiles all the way with 45 degree beautiful day. I so missed riding everywhere , but soon maybe.

sssun
5-13-15, 10:33am
I'd love to sell my car! As it is, I try to walk as much as possible in my neighborhood. Luckily, there is a supermarket only a few blocks away from th house, so I find myself popping by onfoot when I only need to buy a few things. It's good excercise, especially carrying the bags back home.

catherine
5-13-15, 12:55pm
That's great, Gardenarian! As much as I like the idea of living in a quiet, semi-rural place, at this point, I know myself and I get more claustrophobic in the country than in the city, because I don't like HAVING to depend on 4 wheels. My ideal community is probably just like yours: village living where a bike or your own two feet can get you anywhere. The town I stayed in for 2 months, Ocean Grove NJ, was a perfect example of that. I LOVED that town.

Kestra
5-13-15, 3:42pm
That's great, Gardenarian! As much as I like the idea of living in a quiet, semi-rural place, at this point, I know myself and I get more claustrophobic in the country than in the city, because I don't like HAVING to depend on 4 wheels. My ideal community is probably just like yours: village living where a bike or your own two feet can get you anywhere. The town I stayed in for 2 months, Ocean Grove NJ, was a perfect example of that. I LOVED that town.

I feel the exact same way about living in the country. It'd have to be a community of a particular size so the required amenities are there.

I just love being car free now so much. I'm going to be walking downtown soon tonight for a class - it's about 40 minutes each way which means some real exercise but not too much. I love being able to walk almost everywhere I go now. It helps to be semi-retired as well, so I don't have any particular schedule. If you just start walking you get there eventually, though 90-110 minutes is about my limit.

Dhiana
5-13-15, 8:52pm
Recently moved also and we are car free here in Hawaii. Makes a difference. Less stress & worry about insurance, maintenance, etc. We have a grocer within walking distance and several bus lines to take us to farther areas we want to go.

We rented a car for 1 day a couple of weeks ago to take care of some errands and for my husband to attend an event far away super early in the AM. We'll rent a car again at the end of July to complete similar errands and for him to attend another similar event. All this is much less expensive and less of a hassle than owning a car ourselves.

Even better is his work pays for his bus pass so his commute is FREE :)

Float On
5-14-15, 8:32am
Recently moved also and we are car free here in Hawaii.

Congrats on your move to Hawaii. Which island? I have friends living on Kauai, Lanai, and Big Island. All of them keep asking me to visit, hopefully someday.

We almost took a job in Bermuda one time and would have been car free there. They encourage scooters over cars since it's such a small island.

I would love to live somewhere where I could walk to the grocery store. It's 4 miles of narrow and hilly cliff roads, just not safe.