PDA

View Full Version : Just checking in

TxZen
3-20-15, 5:37pm
SOOOOO much has happened since I last posted. Mostly, I got sick for 6 weeks straight. It was awful but taught me a lot about taking downtime and enjoying it for the better. Yeah me!!! LOL

I have FINISHED the purge of the house- I have NEVER been at this point and wow..it feels good. The only thing left for me to do is actually a project for my hubby. He has a drawer of papers he needs to sort out so I can file them away. I donated another small trunk load and brought some green plants into the house. I eliminated all of my candles (we have 4 flashlights with rechargeable/solar batteries in them) because I have been reading on the harmful effects of candle residue and burning. I have become super sensitive to smells in general and I feel better already. I swear I just added 4 plants 3 weeks ago and the air seems cleaner in here.

As far as everything else, I applied for my Masters in Teaching and am awaiting an answer. I have removed a lot of things off my calendar and I added a few things I have wanted to do for some time, mainly assisting girls youth soccer and teaching a yoga class here and there.

Oh and all those lists I used to have? I threw them out. I completed all projects I had started and refuse to start anything else for awhile. Just enjoying being. Besides this post here on this forum, I have been off all social media, only checking my email once in the morning and once at night. It has been so nice.

Really have been enjoying time with my hubby and son and the dogs and focusing on my health. What a change!!! We have gone to the waterpark 3x in the last 2 weeks since it opened, we have been walking a lot more and just making life healthier all around.

So that is a life check in for now. How are y'all doing? Spring has sprung!!!!

Zoe Girl
3-20-15, 6:26pm
wow yeah! i have done similar things as the lists and it feels great. mainly when i have moved all my unfinished craft projects are donated and i start fresh.the plants are great, we have a swedish ivy that has been passed around the family at least since my great-grandmother. it is so hardy and beautiful.

you sound great, especially for having been sick so long. good luck on the masters program, and let us know when you get in.

Float On
3-20-15, 10:53pm
Sorry you were sick so long.
Good to hear your update.

TxZen
3-21-15, 10:59am
Thanks y'all. We have been having a lot of rain- not complaining, but I need it to dry out a bit so I can get out in the sun a bit. I know it will be sunny soon enough, just miss it after the dark winter we had.

I honestly believe I was sick so long because life was trying to slow me down. I had been going at 1000mph for years and I just took it easy. It was a nice change and I focused on holistic healing. I refused to go to the doc for ANOTHER round of antibiotics, which do nothing for me. I still think I healed faster without the normal medical intervention. I was never at risk for anything other than having an annoying cough that kept me up for a few nights. I am working on building up my immune system and cleaning up my environment around me.

Our saying around here is easy, low key living. :)

Gardenarian
3-21-15, 8:29pm
Glad to hear you're feeling better! That is wonderful that you are able to just be, and not have any 'to-do' lists nagging you.

I was bedridden after foot surgery last year and it had a profound impact on my life. The world went on without me just fine, much to my surprise. For a month, I focused on myself and my healing and gave real thought to what my mind and body needed and wanted. I have never pampered myself before, and it did me good - I now try to make that part of my life. I've always been wary of being selfish and feel guilty putting myself first, but doing so makes me much more content and thus a happier and saner person, mother, and partner.

I also tend to go at full bore all the time, but am really working at slowing down. Sometimes, I need to literally slow down - walk more slowly, focus on slow breathing.

How did you think the candles were affecting you? I don't use a lot of candles, but like them occasionally on the dining table and sometimes light one in my bedroom. I don't use scented candles.

I'll be interested to hear about your experiences with natural healing. I try to avoid the doctor's office, but I haven't really learned to trust my body. I guess I mainly use the doctor for diagnosis. For example, right now I have a couple of things that MIGHT be skin cancer and I want to get in ASAP, as I've had it before. But I don't bother to go to the doctor's with general aches and pains or colds/flu/sinus stuff.

I love house plants. I've read that some are better at cleaning the air than others. I feel like I get a lot of benefit from just having green living things in the room. I bring geraniums inside in the winter, and have a lot of inch plant (I grow inch plant in just water - very easy) spider plants, testastrigma, philodendron, and a majesty palm. I know some people avoid houseplants because of possible molds in the soil, but I haven't been bothered with that (though I have had problems in the past with the gnats that grow in the soil fungus.)

TxZen
3-21-15, 9:13pm
Believe me...there were lists..I just ignored them!!! LOL

I was bedridden after foot surgery last year and it had a profound impact on my life. The world went on without me just fine, much to my surprise. For a month, I focused on myself and my healing and gave real thought to what my mind and body needed and wanted. I have never pampered myself before, and it did me good - I now try to make that part of my life. I've always been wary of being selfish and feel guilty putting myself first, but doing so makes me much more content and thus a happier and saner person, mother, and partner. , VERY important to pamper one's self, even if it's something small like a fresh haircut or a relaxing massage.

I also tend to go at full bore all the time, but am really working at slowing down. Sometimes, I need to literally slow down - walk more slowly, focus on slow breathing. That's me too!!!!

How did you think the candles were affecting you? I don't use a lot of candles, but like them occasionally on the dining table and sometimes light one in my bedroom. I don't use scented candles. I think it was the scent. I have noticed my favorite one's from Yankee Candle now irritate me and are too strong. I have been reading a lot of the effects of candles, even natural made one's. Some say the soot or what is burning off is not good for you. I donated them and bought myself a Himalayan salt lamp. We shall see.

I'll be interested to hear about your experiences with natural healing. I try to avoid the doctor's office, but I haven't really learned to trust my body. I guess I mainly use the doctor for diagnosis. For example, right now I have a couple of things that MIGHT be skin cancer and I want to get in ASAP, as I've had it before. But I don't bother to go to the doctor's with general aches and pains or colds/flu/sinus stuff. ASAP stuff- like cancer or like when I had a kidney stone, I would go right to the doc, along with researching some natural alternatives to go along with whatever treatment. This time around, I had the cough from hades. Last year, when this happened, I went in for a round of steroids and antibiotics. They helped ease it but still was sick for 3 weeks straight. This year, as soon as I felt a tickle, I started drink. I drank TONS of water with lemon and ginger, making "golden milk" with coconut milk, turmeric, black pepper, a little honey and cinnamon. Drank that 3x a day. I did use Vicks Vapo rub on my feet, covered in socks and rubbed down my chest and neck, wrapped it in a towel and put on my bathrobe. Humidifier with essential oils- peppermint, lavender, orange blossom, depending on my mood. I had a 2 bags of frozen mixed fruit and I would just suck on that to sooth my throat and get vitamins and food in and LOTS of physical rest- not even getting online. I can now tell you I think I have caught up on all movies I ever wanted to see. Hot baths with epsom salts andI did buy some prepackaged broths for the first week because I was too tired to even cook. I would say I was over the worst of it in 5-6 days. It did take another 2 weeks to get the final coughing out but it did not go on for as long.

I love house plants. I've read that some are better at cleaning the air than others. I feel like I get a lot of benefit from just having green living things in the room. I bring geraniums inside in the winter, and have a lot of inch plant (I grow inch plant in just water - very easy) spider plants, testastrigma, philodendron, and a majesty palm. I know some people avoid houseplants because of possible molds in the soil, but I haven't been bothered with that (though I have had problems in the past with the gnats that grow in the soil fungus.)[/QUOTE]
I only have to be concerned with nosy pets on what types I have but even the aloe plant and spider plant are helping so far. :)

Gardenarian
3-21-15, 10:28pm
Oh, that's great info! My dd gets nagging cough after every cold and sometimes it lasts for months. I've tried the Vicks, but that golden milk sounds super healing. Thanks!