PDA

View Full Version : Relocating To What Cheer, Iowa

Packy
3-22-15, 1:43am
This is about breaking out of the revolving door(so to speak) of outmigration by Those People from one trendy, overpriced, overpopulated place to another trendy, overpriced, overpopulated place, just to get away from it all. But then, they bring "it" with 'em. You know who you are. How about an alternative: Make your next move, and break the vicious circle. What other corny cliche' applies? Anyway, I am starting a movement---an advocacy promoting a trend of talented people moving to places that actually NEED repopulating with industrious, well-educated, and resourceful people. I've chosen What Cheer, Iowa as the first place for Those People to move to. I, will not be moving there. I'm not that industrious, and don't need to get away from Callyfornya or Noo Joisy or the hellhole known as Fla. I'm fine where I'm at, but really don't want more people moving here, either. Anyway, What Cheer, Ia had a population of 3,246 in 1900, but it has downsized to pop 646, now. Lots of empty buildings up there, needing rehabbed. The infrastructure of Iowa--the finest. So, you won't be placing a burden on it, as it happened here. They need more tax revenue to sustain it, and also--the people who can CREATE wealth, by producing added-value products. So, forget about starting up a financial services call center or a campus for a university or religious organization or a prison or a health-care facility or an insurance company or a Country Music theme park or artsy-farstsy antiques shops or biker rallies or a packing plant and that kind of crap. They don't need a parasitic, secondary, service economy--they already got it. They need something useful, that can be exported, besides raw agricultural commodities. For instance: Iowa used to be the Appliance manufacturing capital of the whole country--but not no more. See--greedy capitalists shrewdly moved production to non-union, low wage venues, just to increase profits and CEO compensation. See? What about the climate in Iowa? Well, as Sarah Palin might say: "Yah, sure--you betcha--Iowa's got a Climate! Plenty of climate. Okey, dokey." Hope that helps you some. Later.

Packy
3-23-15, 1:06am
Nobody here wants to move to What Cheer, and restore Progress. Why not?

Gardenarian
3-23-15, 1:22am
I think people who have reached that stage in their life (me, for example) feel they have done their bit at building things up and creating progress, and are ready to kick back and just enjoy being. And it's easier to do that in a place that is already thriving, that has cultural attractions and natural beauty, is walkable/bikable and has a less than challenging climate.

But you already knew that, right?

ApatheticNoMore
3-23-15, 2:16am
I'm not planning to move anywhere anytime in the immediate future (real long term - shrug how should I know) except perhaps to an apartment closer to work, which would probably be very good for me. Moving has it's advantages but so does staying put (though it's probably un-american to say so).

I enjoy creating progress (social progress - volunteering etc.) but one can do that to some degree anywhere (although there may be different obstacles in various places). I enjoy doing, but I'm not conventionally super industrious, and I'm not well educated either (in terms of degrees at any rate - I don't' have one).

Packy
3-23-15, 4:03am
Both of you would be a good fit, based upon your self-description. Believe me. I forgot to mention--Ia has excellent soil, and mostly level terrain, and more than adequate rainfall. So, it would be great for a very large garden, featuring sweet corn. Plus, relatively low crime. Older homes are very well-constructed & no termites, unlike here. What more could you kids want? Okay, then--instead of What Cheer, (which is not really very picturesque) maybe you could move to a town along the Mississippi. They could use some new blood, too. Plus--you can visit Illinois or Wi or Zurra any time you want! Even 'sota! How about that?

Packy
3-24-15, 5:55am
Okay--you don't want to move to Iowa. Not trendy enough. Ha. Ok---here's one I picked out, just for you kids. It, is even less trendy. A lovely little town called "Shattuck", out in western Oklahoma. Another one that would be a great place for you kids to move to is further north--Brunswick, Nebraska. It's in North-central Nebraska, and the nearest Wallyworld is in Norfolk, about 40 miles away. But, I think you'll really like it.

pinkytoe
3-24-15, 10:12am
The problem as I see it with really small places like that and most rural-ish towns is that there are very often long-time close-minded residents who don't accept newcomers easily. Very often the only place to shop for groceries is a Walmart and there are churches on every corner. Conservative mindset. Has nothing to do with trendy - one just gets used to having other options after living in the big city.

Packy
3-24-15, 10:52am
Are you sure they are close-minded and don't accept newcomers? The way I see it, you have to bank on what you have in common, not with focusing on what differences, if any, that you have. They really are minor, in the overall scheme of things. Besides, you aren't moving into their household! It actually might be easier to get along there, than with the pretentious and competitive types you would find in a trendy urban area that is experiencing rapid growth. As far as being an outsider, one factor that has worked against population declines in rural areas of the Great Plains and Midwest is the influx of immigrants. The city of Norfolk, ne. has a significant minority of Hispanics, for instance. I would also recommend that you kids relocate to Quincy, Illinois. It is bigger, and has a lot of historic buildings.

Packy
3-24-15, 11:13am
I guess I have to look at what celebrities have done, okay? A good many of them leave Urban areas where show-biz is big biz, and buy properties clear out in the middle-o-nowhere. Some of them even build large, luxury estate homes, that might not be easy to sell for a return for a very long time, if ever. I could name a few, just from recollection. But I won't, unless you want me to. My point is, if they can get out of the fast-lane and be comfortable, you can too.

Gregg
3-24-15, 11:40am
Okay--you don't want to move to Iowa. Not trendy enough. Ha. Ok---here's one I picked out, just for you kids. It, is even less trendy. A lovely little town called "Shattuck", out in western Oklahoma. Another one that would be a great place for you kids to move to is further north--Brunswick, Nebraska. It's in North-central Nebraska, and the nearest Wallyworld is in Norfolk, about 40 miles away. But, I think you'll really like it.

I have lots of family in NW Oklahoma, including Shattuck. If you really want some peace and quiet check out Sharon, a little east of Shattuck. You could get 10 or 12 cars per hour going down main street in Shattuck. That high traffic flow isn't a problem in Sharon any more.

We sold cattle to a rancher in Brunswick, NE when I was a kid so I've been up there many times. Its about as bustling as Sharon, OK. Weird how you picked those two towns...

I personally look for towns with at least as many taverns as churches. Not as easy to find as you might think.

Packy
3-24-15, 12:25pm
Well, Greggory--I've got one allll picked out for you, that I spotted quite awhile back. It is Whiteclay, Nebraska, and the main industry is Retail Liquor Sales--a lot of it. Other than that, there's not much else there. But, they can prolly always use another Liquor Store, if you go there with the intention of opening one up. See, it sits on the border with South Dakota & the Pine Ridge Rosebud Reservation. I think you can even do a little barter, & trade firewater in exchange for crafts and so on. You might even make a fortune with an aluminum can redemption center. But, it looks like you need to have a pretty secure building, to house your merchandise.

ctg492
3-24-15, 5:07pm
Moving up north to our cabin to live when we were going to watch the river flow a few years ago, visiting is far different then living in a rural place. The locals called us types; flat landers or trolls or weekenders or a variety of names. They all knew we would never make. We did not. We are not big city, but when the only place to eat is say Robin's Home Cookin' and they close at 6 pm, we soon realized it was not for us. So more power to those that can move out and be content.

Packy
3-24-15, 5:11pm
I'll tell you what--there is nothing worse than being referred to as a Troll. I don't mind being called a Flatlander or a Weekender, but call me a Troll, and all heii breaks loose. Better believe it. That said, did that Robins' Place have good PIZZA, piled HIGH with Ooooey-Goooey yummy mozzzzarellla cheeeese? Just Curious.

Packy
4-21-15, 12:45pm
Okay--I found you kids a place in that state that you can move to. It is a town(Ogden) located in central Ia along highway 30, where I have stopped for gas many times. But, I did some fact-checking, and discovered that the town is not only much BIGGER than I ever realized, but that it is one of the few burgs in Iowa that has not shrunk in population in the last 50-60 years---amazing! True--it has not kept pace with overall national population growth, percentagewise; but the actual number of people has increased slightly and steadily. My perceptions were that it was a burg of maybe 200-300 people, but noooo--it is slightly over 2000! There is only one Pizza restaurant, and then of course, pizza at Casey's. So, you kids might consider moving there, and starting up a Pizza place, because they are very drastically undersupplied with pizza in Ogden, it sounds like to mee. A meat locker might be another possibility, too. That way, you can do your part in preventing malnutrition, AND give them something to do--EAT! One thing I am sure you will like is that the community is very NEAT and TIDY. See, they don't have much to do, but tidy up. So, you'll be fine. Hope that helps you some. Thank mee.