PDA

View Full Version : Can I be a teacher and still be minimalist-ish????

TxZen
3-26-15, 10:10am
I have been substituting and volunteering at the school. The amount of stuff teachers have in their classrooms is overwhelming for this minimalist-ish/simple living me. I understand having enough for each student, sharing among teachers, having enough to foster creativity and be productive in a learning environment, etc but OH MY GOSH---the amount of stuff is almost too much for me. Anyone a teacher who kept it all under control without taking away from a stimulating and efficient classroom? HELP???

Chicken lady
3-26-15, 10:21am
I think teachers tend to accumulate stuff because parents bring them things and because you never have enough money for anything in the classroom so you learn to save "just in case" and find creative uses for things. But I think your classroom can reflect your own style. We have a math teacher who hates mess and clutter and all of her manipulatives are neatly put away in labelled bins behind cupboard doors, her books are shelved, her supplies are in her drawers, and her decorations are very neat and clean - bulletin board with a few charts and graphs for example.

otoh, my art classroom looks like a bomb went off. The spanish teacher is in between - lots of decorations, mostly labelled with spanish words, color, a reading area with books, stuffed animals and games that looks like a messy playroom.

ToomuchStuff
3-26-15, 11:48am
In the classroom you have your stuff (can be minimalist and you have a right to) and their stuff (Students, school property, etc, you don't really have rights to), in a shared space/environment. Your going to have to learn to deal in public environments and consider this one, as compared to teh inside of your desk when your the PRIMARY (not substitue/guest) teacher.

mtnlaurel
3-26-15, 3:19pm
I feel the same way spending time in my kid's traditional school classrooms... and I am nowhere near a minimalist lifestyle right now!

Have you ever been in a Montessori classroom?
I have only been in Montessori preschool classrooms, but they have a much more peaceful feel visually.

Tussiemussies
3-26-15, 4:17pm
Think too much visual items are distracting and create an environment that is not calm and somewhat irritating to the nervous system. I never had a teacher with their items all over the classroom....

mschrisgo2
3-26-15, 6:24pm
Yes, you can be a great teacher and have a neat, clean, "minimalist" classroom. IMHO, you will be happier and the kids will be calmer and learn more efficiently. Research shows that cluttered visual fields scramble thought processes.

I am teaching full time in a brand new building this year. Many of the teachers brought 200-300 cartons of materials from the old building. They are still "trying to put it all away." Someone suggested the recycle bin, and there was a general gasp of horror.

I taught in the same school for 12 years, and when I left to sell textbooks, I took about 40 cartons of stuff home, about 20 of those were hardback books I had purchased to use for various reading and writing lessons. I donated most to several elementary school libraries. But now I wish I had some of them; the education pendulum has swung again, and those have a new name, "mentor texts." If I had them, I would be using them this year.

I kept two very portable boxes, one for tutoring math, and the other for tutoring reading/language arts. I still have tutoring clients and use those weekly.

And I still have about 4 cartons of various things, most of which is going directly into the recycle bin during spring break when I'll have time to dig them out of the closet. I don't foresee actually using any of that stuff that I was keeping for "if I go back into the classroom."

I took one small box of things from home at the start of school, and spent about $75 at the teacher supply store for borders for the bulletin boards, name plates, cute labels. That, plus the 97 cartons (for real, I kid you not) that I unpacked from the previous 5th grade teacher has carried us through the school year just fine. In fact, I just spent about 45 minutes the other day, opened each cupboard and drawer, and tossed out all the odds and ends of stuff we haven't used and I don't plan to use in the next 10 weeks. (filled 2 recycling bins) I can't stand clutter, even if it's not immediately visible.

TxZen
3-26-15, 9:21pm
Thank you all for your answers!!! I can understand trying to save money and stretch a dollar when it comes to supplies. Yes I did snoop a bit since this is my new career path and I think I will be fine. I am a natural organizer/labeler. How do you handle your stuff at home? Do you have a dedicated area? Thank you so much.

mschrisgo2
3-26-15, 11:31pm
I have a table where I unpack my school bag, grade papers, and repack. And I have 2 shelves of my many bookcases that have children's picture books that I sometimes take to school for a specific lesson and then bring home. (and the 4 cartons in the closet, that will go to recycling soon). Other than that, I keep school stuff at school, and not much belongs to me personally. If I quit today, everything that is mine would fit in my tote bag.

Years ago, it threatened to take over not only the house but a large section of the garage, too. I now live in a much smaller space and have learned both organization and boundaries. Oh, and the tutoring boxes live in my car, so they are always ready for whatever the schedule ends up being.

Tiam
3-27-15, 1:48am
I have been substituting and volunteering at the school. The amount of stuff teachers have in their classrooms is overwhelming for this minimalist-ish/simple living me. I understand having enough for each student, sharing among teachers, having enough to foster creativity and be productive in a learning environment, etc but OH MY GOSH---the amount of stuff is almost too much for me. Anyone a teacher who kept it all under control without taking away from a stimulating and efficient classroom? HELP???

I'm not sure if you mean storing the stuff in the classroom? I'm a preschool teacher and it's a constant battle. I store stuff at home, but the classroom does fill up and I have to make efforts at decluttering the room and my desk and car and anything else.