PDA

View Full Version : Vitamix

TxZen
4-23-15, 2:22pm
I have saved enough and sold a few things to purchase a Vitamix. I have used one before and I loved it!!! Anyone have experience with them and which version do you like? Thank you.

ctg492
4-24-15, 3:28am
It is on my list of things I must have. I have wanted one for years, I go cheap and then say WHY did I not get the VitaMix? SO this is the year hopefully next month. Will look to hear which one you get and why.

lessisbest
4-24-15, 4:47am
I was gifted a certified reconditioned Vitamix (5200) and wish I would have gotten one years ago, instead of all the pitiful cheap blenders I purchased over the years. Not long before I got the Vitamix I purchased the Ninja thinking it must be nearly as good as a Vitamix, but a lot less expensive. Although it was a HUGE improvement over what I had before, for some of the things I was making at the time it didn't do a great job because the container was so wide at the bottom (and I had two sizes of containers). Food got stuck in the corners and I had to stop and scrape it out. The Ninja didn't make nut milk (left a lot more nut pulp) as well as the Vitamix, and did a really bad job using small canary seeds for canary seed milk. I suggest you get the long/narrow Vitamix, not the one with the wider base, especially if you want to mix small portions of things.

It will come with the wet blade container, but if you want to blend hard, dry materials such as grain, and for kneading dough, you need a Dry Blade Container. Personally, I would suggest a real grain mill (something like a Nutrimill or a Wonder Mill if you mill a lot of grains/seeds/beans and need an electric model, or a Wonder Mill Jr. for a hand-powered mill) over getting a Dry Blade Container. The Vitamix is very limited in the type of grain it will mill into flour.

Be sure to watch the video (more than once, and periodically after that). You need to start the Vitamix on the lowest speed and increase the dial to the fastest speed, then flip the switch to the high setting each time you use it. Follow the suggested uses found in the cookbook. You can also find a lot of Vitamix recipes on-line, and the cookbook that came with it had LOTS of ideas and recipes. You'll LOVE it!!!!:D

Clean-up is really easy. Rinse it out with a small amount of water, then fill it to the 5-cup line with clean water and add a few drops of liquid dishwashing detergent. Snap on the lid and blend it clean.