PDA

View Full Version : Yard Sale - Worth It?

jennipurrr
3-30-11, 5:30pm
I have a bunch of junk (working, good condition) that I am either going to donate to the local thrift store or have yard sale. DH and I aren't generally 'stuff' accumulaters, but wow...somehow over the past couple of years we have boxed up a bunch of stuff we don't need anymore. Also, I have been doing some couponing the past few months and when non food items are "better than free" after coupons I toss them in with this stuff. I donate the food items to the food bank here. Aside from "stuff" and clothes we have a working clothes dryer and a changing table (that I dumpster dove a couple years ago, still haven't the desire to have a baby, so its going!).

We are going on a trip to a friend's wedding in a couple months and I thought it would give us some good spending money. I have received mostly negative comments IRL about the amount of work it takes. So, what has your experience been, is it worth it to have a yard sale?

Rosemary
3-30-11, 5:33pm
When we were getting ready for a cross-country move, we had a big yard sale with a friend. That time it was worth it. In general, though, for me, it is not worth the hassle of labeling items, storing them until the date, and spending 1-3 days sitting around waiting for people to buy stuff.

Gina
3-30-11, 7:19pm
In my area yard sales are only on Sat morning, usually 8am to noon, but it takes time to set it up, to make and put up signs on streetcorners, etc.

If it is worth it depends on the quality of the things you have to sell. People can make hundreds of dollars with good stuff, or far less with stuff a step up from junk.

I've given about 4 yard sales over the years and made in the range of $100 each. And then I donated most of what was left to thrift store to get rid of it. Was it worth it $ wise? I don't know - it was a lot of work. I shop yard sales and know many of the locals so I had a lot of fun interacting with people I often encounter. If you donate it to a charity instead, you'll get a tax write-off, so whether you actually make much or not above that, I don't know. I just like the yard sale culture.

I also want to have another sometime this spring. But I've only been saving things to sell that I'll ask a few dollars for, and have been donating 'lesser' stuff that putting out to sell would get me less than a $1, or was simply getting in the way. (I was on a real downsizing spree Nov and Dec.)

Mrs-M
3-30-11, 9:06pm
http://www.myemoticons.com/images/objects/signs/garage-sale.gif I say go for it, do a yard sale. Electric dryers in good working order go fast around here, lots of people starting out are looking for something affordable, and as far as the baby changing table goes, seems a lot of new moms nowadays appreciate having one. I can't see why you wouldn't be able to pad your pockets with a couple hundred dollars (or more) just between those two items alone, add in all the other stuff you have and even if not everything sells (which it seldom does) you'll have money in your hand and less stuff to haul away afterwards.

dovergirl
3-30-11, 10:09pm
We usually combine with friends or family and turn it into a social event. Neighbors stop by to chit chat and trade items amongst each other. We hang out and have lunch together. We don't get crazy with the work or the money - sketch a few signs and hang them up at the end of the road. Keep prices low and whatever doesn't sell get sent to Goodwill or the local thrift store. Not a bad way to earn a little pocket $ and get rid of unwanted junk, I mean stuff!

Kat
3-31-11, 8:35am
I also think your end goal matters. People have yard sales for two reasons: 1) to make money or 2) to get rid of stuff. The people who want to make money run the risk of being disappointed if they price their stuff too high. Your stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you price stuff on the lower side, you might actually make more because people will buy more (and you'll have less to haul away at the end).

jennipurrr
3-31-11, 11:16am
Thanks for the opinions. I definitely see the main motivation as to get rid of stuff, and the secondary motivation to make a little cash. I think if we can get our act together and finish decluttering, we will try to have one sometime in April. I have a mental goal of $200-300 from it, but who knows if we will get that. I guess the worst that can come of it is we spent time setting up and having it and then we just end up donating the stuff. Either way, it will force us to get these boxes out of the house and give everything a good look over in the house. I spent last night changing out my winter and spring clothes in the closet and have a box of stuff!!! Sometimes it seems like this decluttering stuff is never ending, argh. I don't really know how I let it get this way, as I don't feel like I bring in a lot of extra stuff...but I guess it has been over 5 years since we have moved, so we have just been accumulating since then.

Fawn
3-31-11, 12:08pm
"So, what has your experience been, is it worth it to have a yard sale? "

No.

catherine
3-31-11, 12:55pm
I've had a few garage sales in my day--the last two were spearheaded by my grown daughter (I told her she could keep any money made). They are a lot of work, but on the other hand, it doesn't have to be more than posting signs in the neighborhood the day before, yanking all the stuff out on the front yard/driveway, pricing most things (you can use global signs for books ($1 hardcover/$50 paperback) or "anything in this box for $.25."

I've made around $200 on them. Frankly, I'm going to have one this spring.... You would be absolutely amazed at what people buy. My MIL used to join us and try to sell brand new towels she had in her attic from when she was a clerk at Macy's. No nibbles. But the old worn 70s chip dishes would go. Yard tools go. Clothes usually go, especially classics. Golf clubs, bikes. Shelving units--even if they're crummy--people buy them for storage in their garages (to store the junk they buy at garage sales, no doubt!)

Mrs-M
3-31-11, 1:32pm
In reading your entry Catherine a story came to mind. I'm going back some 15 or so years ago in telling this one, but it's worth it IMO. Old neighbours of ours (junk-oholics) put on a yard sale and EVERYTHING was junk! Dirty, filthy, disgusting old used junk! Anyhow, on the last and final day the Mr. started dumping the remains of one picked through box into another, then dumping that picked through box into another, and so on, till he had a series of junk-filled boxes ready for presentation.

He pasted $2 tags on each box and when the people started showing up the boxes of junk went first. (Nuts, bolts, washers, screws, caps, nails, tape, clips, you name). What got us is, a couple of buyers (shoppers) couldn't run to their vehicles fast enough (boxes in hand) to stow away their finds! I actually find it pathetic.

sumarie
3-31-11, 3:32pm
Hi Jennipurrr. I've always enjoyed having a yard sale but it truly IS alot of work. It's a time commitment -- to gather & price stuff, to take the day off from whatever else you might have been doing, to deal with money & kids & people at the sale, and to figure out what to do with what's left at the end. The thing that has helped win me over has been doing it with someone else. Then it can become fun, the work is halved, and the time goes quickly. Either way, I have made money & it's very satisfying to see somebody taking stuff AWAY -- and paying you for it -- that you would have had to gather up & donate someplace anyway.

madgeylou
3-31-11, 6:22pm
if you get a lot of traffic by your house (foot or car), then it's worth it. if you're out in the middle of nowhere, not so much. i had a few stoop sales in brooklyn and always made a few hundred bucks and got a bunch of stuff out of the house, but my street had a lot of foot traffic.

if you do decide to have one, make sure you list it on craigslist.org -- i got a lot of people showing up as i was setting up and they cleared me out of a lot of stuff for a decent stoop sale price.

janharker
3-31-11, 7:20pm
I had a sale a couple of weeks ago. I didn't have to do any advertising, because it was a fund-raiser for the fire department. All I had to do was show up and put out my stuff. I didn't have but 2 tables worth of stuff and still made $50+, minus the $15 space rental. Was it worth it? I got rid of junk, and had a good time people watching on a Saturday that I had nothing else planned. Just for the sake of entertainment it's worth it.

Gardenarian
3-31-11, 7:37pm
I have had a couple and I won't have a garage sale again. I didn't enjoy the process (as some do) and I didn't make much $ off of it. I sometimes have a hard time letting go of stuff, and I would rather just give it to charity and believe that it is making someone happy.

Dickering with someone over a pretty little vase that my mom gave me? No thanks.

Simplemind
3-31-11, 11:28pm
I have been having a garage sale every year for almost 20 years. I am in the minority on these boards. I do it for fun and friendship. I have several friends that join in with me and we have a BBQ when all is said and done.
I am organized and have a system so it is no hassle for me to label and store for each year. We have many people who shop with us year after year. I am always amazed at what people buy or will cart away for free. I enjoy talking to people and sending items off with a story. My son likes to work the crowd and sell soda and popsicles.

iris lily
4-1-11, 12:47am
I'd rather clean toilets.

Now, that said, I found value in the one we had years and years ago because I was able to get rid of stuff. I laid the groundwork by saying to DH that the stuff would NOT be coming back into our house. We would be giving it away at the end of the second day and he would haul all remains to the thrift store. But as it turned out, there wasn't enough to haul, we gave most of it away by the end.

Last year we had a booth at our neighborhood's "Antiques on the the Park" event and made $880, but that was a one time thing where I sold things that were interesting or vintage or true antiques. My method was to price them at wholesale so that the antique dealers there would jump on half of them, and that's exactly what happened.