PDA

View Full Version : organic, pasture fed butter

nswef
3-30-11, 8:53pm
I bought my first pound of pasture fed ground beef and butter. The ground beef was great but the butter had an odd, gamey taste. Is this normal? I am enjoying it more now, but it still has an odd coated feel to it in my mouth.

I also experienced "store bought" apples and realized how spoiled I am to have only local orchard apples. The store apples tasted watery and just not right. Fresh is better! Something many of you already know!

loosechickens
3-30-11, 9:42pm
butter from animals pasture fed will carry the tastes of whatever grasses, etc., they are eating. In springtime, when wild onions might be in the pasture, the butter will have an onion taste. I don't know that I'd describe it as a "gamey" taste, and perhaps the butter was not well handled, cream too old, etc., especially if it was from a small supplier, such as at a farmer's market.

But, undeniably, "store" butter, organic or not, will have a more stable taste, because what the cows are fed is carefully controlled if they are not on pasture. If on pasture, flavor of butter will naturally vary all during the year, just as the milk itself will from a pastured, home milked cow.

Can't know if this is the situation with the butter you have, but hope this info helps.

ApatheticNoMore
3-31-11, 1:49am
I have noticed this with butter that is supposedly pasture fed like Kerrygold. Slightly gamey, more oily (hard to describe, but yea the butter was more oily and hence the cookies made with it were more oily, mind you they still got eaten :)) .... hope it wasn't rancid ...

I don't buy butter very often but if I'm buying butter (a few times a year when baking), I do try to get the pasture fed stuff. But I know what you mean, maybe I need to try different brands.

nswef
4-1-11, 12:23pm
Thanks, I think it may just be an adjustment for me. It's not a small farm, they do milk delivery, make ice cream and have a very good reputation, although I was a bit disappointed in their store area on the farm..not quite as pristine as I felt it should be. It doesn't taste rancid, though, just very different.