PDA

View Full Version : June 2015 Frugals

cdttmm
6-1-15, 6:05pm
Bring on the frugals!!! :D

Stacy
6-1-15, 11:02pm
I avoided going to the store this afternoon because I just knew that I'd splurge on expensive and unhealthy things. I was tired out from work and hungry. I had coupons for ice cream and the store's hot fried chicken. I could see myself talking myself into these things just because of the coupons, and I didn't feel like cooking.
So I made myself some leftovers again, and I announced that dinner was leftovers or whatever else they wanted to make. So my husband had breakfast for supper (eggs and bacon), and my son got a box of mac 'n cheese from the pantry and is preparing that now.
I'll be going to the store with my list and the appropriate coupons tomorrow.

rosarugosa
6-2-15, 5:44am
Good for you Stacy!
I went back to work yesterday and didn't spend anything except bus/train fare, brought my lunch as always, no time to spend any money!

lessisbest
6-2-15, 5:54am
I wanted to make a draft dodger to go in front of a door yesterday, but I didn't want to spend any money on making or buying one since June is a NO SHOPPING month. I found a recently-knit long skinny scarf in my stash that worked perfectly. I doubled it over and stitched the sides together with some poly-fill stuffed in it for insulation. I actually think it looks better as a draft dodger than it did as a scarf :~). It was knit with multi-colored sock yarn in a bright color (easy to see) that cost $1 per skein at Big Lots (using 2 skeins) and the insulation was from the dishwasher we replaced last year (I knew it could be uses for something....). I'm going to make a couple more since it worked so well and I still have more yarn and insulation.

cdttmm
6-2-15, 8:11am
Nice start to the month, Stacy, rosarugosa, and lessisbest!!!

Yesterday, I started teaching my summer session class. I brought tea with me in two travel mugs, which is pretty typical, and a brought leftover pasta with marinara sauce for lunch. When I was done teaching I went over to the student activities office, warmed up my pasta and ate it while catching up with a few students who are on campus for summer classes. I did spend $1.25 to buy a package of peanut M&Ms from the vending machine, but that is an enormous improvement over what I was spending every day while teaching my intensive classes for the past two weeks.

The string in the elastic waistband of my pants for my Tae Kwon Do uniform finally gave out last night. I need to figure out how to replace it because that will be far cheaper than replacing the pants, which would run me about $30. I have other pairs of pants, but this happens to be my favorite pair and they've lasted about 5 years and are still going strong so I really want to salvage them.

lessisbest
6-2-15, 8:56am
Nice start to the month, Stacy, rosarugosa, and lessisbest!!!

The string in the elastic waistband of my pants for my Tae Kwon Do uniform finally gave out last night. I need to figure out how to replace it because that will be far cheaper than replacing the pants, which would run me about $30. I have other pairs of pants, but this happens to be my favorite pair and they've lasted about 5 years and are still going strong so I really want to salvage them.

You can replace it with elastic or a string/cord tie. You can find elastic in many different widths at fabric stores, or even the fabric department at Wal-Mart. Attach a large safety pin to one end of the elastic/cord and use the safety pin to thread the elastic/cord through the channel. Before you begin threading it through, be sure to secure the other end (with another safety pin) to the outside of the waistband so it doesn't all go through the channel before you can tack the two ends of the elastic together. You may need to open the seam to insert the elastic/cord, and be sure to sew it up again when done. I usually wait to adjust the length needed, and cut the elastic/cord, after I try on the garment being mended. If you are using elastic, be sure there is enough slack so you can pull the pants down over your hips, not just adjusting it to your waist. Try not to twist the elastic within the channel - keep it flat. Tack the two ends together of the elastic securely by sewing it. If you are using a cord, tie a knot in both ends to keep them from slipping into the channel.

Tradd
6-2-15, 9:35am
I'm selling my 22 pistol that I don't use much, as well as the ammo for it. Will net me about $350 which will go on my credit card debt.

kib
6-2-15, 12:21pm
I'm not sure if this qualifies for "frugals" but I've started keeping a day to day spending diary down to the penny for June. Sort of like a food diary, this micro-managing is more than I need for budgeting and I only do it occasionally, but it gives me a very clear picture of where I might be going off track, and when I start to see things adding up, it inspires me to curb the spending. "Oh yeah, I forgot, we ate out for lunch just two days ago. It's soup at home time!"

Stacy
6-3-15, 11:17pm
I'm not sure if this qualifies for "frugals" but I've started keeping a day to day spending diary down to the penny for June. Sort of like a food diary, this micro-managing is more than I need for budgeting and I only do it occasionally, but it gives me a very clear picture of where I might be going off track, and when I start to see things adding up, it inspires me to curb the spending. "Oh yeah, I forgot, we ate out for lunch just two days ago. It's soup at home time!"
It totally qualifies as frugal. I did that a couple weeks ago for a week and was shocked at how much junk I was buying without realizing it. Definitely a practice worth repeating.

--------
Nothing much to report today. I spent a little more than expected, but that's because I plan to make a lot of stir-fry meals this month and lacked the basic seasonings and spices for Asian cooking. Now that I have those, the veggies that I'll start getting through my CSA pretty soon are already paid for. We had some delicious Szechuan chicken tonight, and I'm still sweating from the spiciness.
Oh, I guess there is something. I discovered a small meat market just outside of town that is also a little store. It's got very good prices because it buys directly from the farmers and I get to support the local farmers, instead of getting the meat shipped across the country. So it's the best of both worlds. I also like shopping in tiny stores better than the massive supermarkets like we have in town. It makes me nostalgic for the small store in the village where I grew up.

kib
6-3-15, 11:24pm
I didn't spend anything today. I also found a credit card associated with my credit union that should give me a little cash back and simplify my banking a bit.

Selah
6-4-15, 5:43pm
Well, this part doesn't qualify as frugal, but we are very excited about having just made a major purchase: we bought a house! The frugal part is that we asked the seller if she would consider selling us her washer and dryer, which wasn't included in the contract. To our delighted astonishment, she said she would give them to us! They are really great machines...snazzy and modern, a far cry from our current apartment's 19-year-old model. We cannot wait to move in--I'm so excited! Apartment living was frugal, to be sure, but our quality of married life really suffered from being so cramped (having to share the small second bedroom as our work-at-home office for more than 40 hours a week was the worst) and living in such a noisy and trafficky apartment complex.

Float On
6-4-15, 7:33pm
Congrats Selah! Looking forward to hearing more about your new house and neighborhood. Is it cottage??

JaneV2.0
6-4-15, 8:04pm
A new house--congratulations! Details, please!

Tussiemussies
6-4-15, 11:35pm
Congratulations Selah! Sounds like your new home will be so much more peaceful for you and your family!

Gardenarian
6-5-15, 3:18am
That's great Selah! Best wishes to you in your new home :)

Tradd
6-5-15, 2:52pm
Congrats, Selah!

Selah
6-5-15, 7:19pm
Thanks, everyone! The house is a split level, built in 2002, in Sudden Valley, Bellingham, Washington. It's built on a steep forested hill on Lookout Mountain, which has Whatcom Lake at its base. We just look at our neighbors to our front and sides, and a steep hill out the back. No lawn...too steep and shady for grass, but there's a big wrap-around deck surrounding the front and one side of the house, so there will be lots of ways to do container gardening. I'm VERY excited...I will FINALLY be able to use my glass grinder to do stained glass work, in the garage. We move this month and I cannot WAIT to have my own office...whoo HOO! >8)

Tussiemussies
6-5-15, 10:15pm
I wanted two compost tumblers for my birthday but they were expensive...so DH found a coupon for the company for $100.00 off. We ordered one and the email came with another coupon for $100.00 off so we purchased a second one. What a great savings and now I get to learn how to compost! YAY!

lessisbest
6-6-15, 6:50am
I wanted two compost tumblers for my birthday but they were expensive...so DH found a coupon for the company for $100.00 off. We ordered one and the email came with another coupon for $100.00 off so we purchased a second one. What a great savings and now I get to learn how to compost! YAY!

Did you get small or large tumblers? I have a small tumbler and love it because I can empty it several times during the year. It also keeps out the "wildlife". A traditional compost pile is little more than a buffet for wildlife where I live, and nothing gets you as excited as seeing a skunk backing out of your compost pile :0!!

You just need to remember to keep a 50/50 balance of green and brown materials, and I'm sure your unit came with instructions to follow. For me, that means I put my kitchen scraps in a brown paper lunch bag (I bought a bundle of the from a thrift store for $2), and the bag serves as the "brown", dry, material. I cut 2-inches off the top of the bag and place it inside, on the bottom of the bag, to reinforce the bottom. Then I put the bag inside a stainless steel container I have (the container is designed to be used for holding food items on a buffet and available at restaurant supply stores), and I put a plastic cover over the top (looks like a tiny shower cap).

Each fall I fill a plastic trash can with dry, crushed, leaves to use as brown material, and when it's gone during the summer, I'll dry cut grass and use it for the dry material. I also use sawdust (hubby works at a cabinet manufacturing plant and keeps me supplied) and we keep 5-gallon buckets of it to add to the compost when I need dry materials in bulk.

When you see your compost clumping (it looks like dark potatoes have developed in it), put on a pair of garden gloves and break up the clumps with your hands. Remember to turn it 3-4 times a week - 5 complete revolutions.

I find I need to cut some foods into smaller pieces, and use a pair of scissors for that. For instance, cutting a grapefruit or orange rind, and even a banana peel, into several pieces will help it breakdown faster. I don't put the hard stem at the top of a bunch of bananas in the composter because it literally takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to breakdown and you end up sifting it out anyway when you dump your compost.

Be sure to set a container at the bottom of your tumbler to catch the excess moisture that drains out of the unit. You can dilute it with 10 parts water to 1 part liquid and have a wonderful fertilizer for your plants (aka compost tea). Such FUN!:cool:

JaneV2.0
6-6-15, 11:09am
Your description of composting is irresistible; it makes me want to run out and buy a tumbler, and I don't grow anything but indigenous plants on my property. Maybe someday I'll grow herbs.

kib
6-6-15, 12:27pm
I figure as long as you have somewhere to dump finished compost, even if it's under a bush in a city park, you're still doing the environment a favor. Might also bring it out to a local CSA farm? I don't have much natural "brown" but I add in my shredded paper.

I have a compost question. Mine is a bin, not a tumbler. I have added in earth worms, but I'm often seeing other creatures in there, a kind of plated looking thing about an inch long. I assume it's the larva of some sort of beetle or fly, I guess it could be a sow bug. Does anyone know: does it matter what sort of animal is digesting the compost? I obviously don't want to encourage flies breeding, but in terms of the compost, is it all the same or are these animals taking nutrition out of the pile without giving much back?

awakenedsoul
6-6-15, 2:54pm
I've been buying produce on sale at Vallarta. I watch the weekly flyers that we get in the mail. They have great prices on Wednesdays. I take the bus there and use my bike trailer/shopping cart. I'm going to go back today and get a watermelon at .20 a lb. and four small avocados for a dollar. I made chicken fajitas with a whole chicken that I bought at Costco. They come two to a package. I put the second one in the freezer. I've gotten so many meals out of the first! Will use the carcass for a pot of chicken stock today. Baked a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies this morning. I already had the dough premade. It's so convenient to just bake a dozen at a time. Homemade cookies are such a treat! Fed my vegetable garden and flowers some compost tea this morning. It's such great food, and it's free. I picked up some seeds for giant pumpkins at Home Depot last week. I think I will plant those in the potager garden today. Washed my linen sheets in homemade laundry powder and hung them on the line. They dry so quickly! They are really luxurious. I'm so glad I bought them. The hanging baskets with trailing miniature petunias on my porch are attracting a lot of hummingbirds. I love watching them from my desk. I'm going to make more nectar for their feeder. They're so sweet...

Glad to hear others are composting. It makes such a difference in the garden. I do a lot of mulching, as well...

Tussiemussies
6-7-15, 2:04am
Thanks so much Lessisbest, for going into so much detail for me. I did read that the brown/ green material has to be two parts to one. I am wondering if I will get compost tea since this is a round tumbler off of the ground and has a closed opening on it. That would be so great if I could have that for my house plants.

Even though I won't have my garden until next year because it will be quite an investment since we have to put up an eight foot fence since we have had bears at our house....and we will put in raised beds with mushroom soil, so it won't be a frugal endeavor at all. I am going to start compost now to spread out over the lawn.

I have an old Vitamixer that I am going to use to blend up all of my green kitchen clippings and chop it up for faster effect.
I just have to find it since we still haven't fully unpacked our boxes from our move....thanks again for your help. Let me know what you think about the tea...thanks. Chris
PS I got two tumblers that hold fifty pounds each...

Tussiemussies
6-7-15, 2:06am
Hi awakened soul,

Nice to hear from you...you always have interesting adventures to post about...hope all things are going your way, I know you are having a terrible drought right now. How I wish it would rain really good for you all...chris

lessisbest
6-7-15, 7:38am
-Filled both cars yesterday and saved 30 cents a gallon using our May gas points.

-Attended a banquet dinner last night and most of the people at our table didn't drink the bottled water that was placed on the table. It would have been trashed, so I pulled out my handy-dandy tote bag from my purse and took the unopened bottles home. I just hate to see waste like this!!!

rosarugosa
6-7-15, 9:41am
Well I was disciplined all week then veered off track yesterday. We went out to dinner & a concert. We also had some minor car repair items and an oil change which were unexpected (other than the oil change). About the only good news is that we stayed within budget on groceries.

awakenedsoul
6-7-15, 5:36pm
Hi awakened soul,

Nice to hear from you...you always have interesting adventures to post about...hope all things are going your way, I know you are having a terrible drought right now. How I wish it would rain really good for you all...chris

Hi Tussiemussies! Thanks...you too. Even with the drought, we can still water three days a week. We are allowed to water fruits and vegetables more often...so the garden is fine. We did get some nice rain earlier this year. It was a huge relief. I don't have a lawn...just straw mulch and lots of flowers and herbs. I use compost in my hanging baskets and window boxes. It holds the moisture really well.

Tussiemussies
6-7-15, 8:59pm
Hi Tussiemussies! Thanks...you too. Even with the drought, we can still water three days a week. We are allowed to water fruits and vegetables more often...so the garden is fine. We did get some nice rain earlier this year. It was a huge relief. I don't have a lawn...just straw mulch and lots of flowers and herbs. I use compost in my hanging baskets and window boxes. It holds the moisture really well.

Hi again awakenedsoul,

Well I am so very glad that you are able to water your fruit trees, flowers and herbs. I know you enjoy them so much...I remember when you did get some rain earlier this year, still that doesn't seem like enough.

You will have to keep us posted about your fruit trees and Meyer lemon tree. I haven't seen any Meyer lemons in the store, although my husband does the food shopping he likes them a lot too...

How is your knitting going?

Chris

Tradd
6-7-15, 9:25pm
I took the $475 cash I made from selling pistol and ammo immediately to the bank and deposited it, and then put it on my credit card. I also cancelled a trip planned for Thanksgiving that would have cost about $1K and the money that would have otherwise been spent on trip will go on credit card.

awakenedsoul
6-7-15, 10:50pm
Hi again awakenedsoul,

Well I am so very glad that you are able to water your fruit trees, flowers and herbs. I know you enjoy them so much...I remember when you did get some rain earlier this year, still that doesn't seem like enough.

You will have to keep us posted about your fruit trees and Meyer lemon tree. I haven't seen any Meyer lemons in the store, although my husband does the food shopping he likes them a lot too...

How is your knitting going?

Chris

Hi Chris,

The fruit trees are doing well. The meyer lemon tree gave me a huge crop of lemons this year. The main thing with the citrus is that I have to remember to feed them compost four times a year. I also keep them heavily mulched. They love mulch. With the drought, the entire yard is coveredin straw. It really helps to conserve water.

I'm still knitting. The past two years I have been working from my stash. I use up the leftovers for socks, gloves, and hats. I'm making another cotton/linen tank top for the hot weather. I've been surprised at how easy it is to not buy yarn, and just use up what I have. I try to only buy it when it's on sale or clearance. That way I can get excellent quality and low prices. How are your crafts going?

rosarugosa
6-8-15, 5:45am
I have to admit I've never been a conscientious composter, which is a shame, since I'm sure my garden beds would love it. So good for you KIB, TM, & AS.
Tradd: Congratulations for taking a nice bite out of your debt. I look forward to the day when we can pat you on the back for being debt-free :)
AS: Homegrown lemons sound wonderful!

kib
6-8-15, 2:10pm
I'm still knitting. The past two years I have been working from my stash. I use up the leftovers for socks, gloves, and hats. I'm making another cotton/linen tank top for the hot weather. I've been surprised at how easy it is to not buy yarn, and just use up what I have. I try to only buy it when it's on sale or clearance. That way I can get excellent quality and low prices. How are your crafts going? I hope this doesn't sound rude, but what do you do with all the knitting? I find knitting soothing, and it can also be challenging and satisfying if it's a complex pattern. In other words, it's a hobby I'd like to pursue. On the flip side, I have to admit that my stuff is never going to be first quality or nicer than store-bought, and I get a little embarrassed providing main-stream-consumer friends and family with a never-ending stream of odd colored scarves and lumpy hats. :|( I'm kinda the same way about sculpture/ceramics ... it was fun, but does anyone really need another 2 pound coffee cup ...

awakenedsoul
6-8-15, 5:22pm
HI kib, I wear it. Instead of buying clothes, I make them. I get a lot of compliments on the sweaters, tank tops, and socks. I took classes with some incredible master teachers, and was surprised at how well the projects came out. Several of my friends and neighbors have asked me to make them baby sweaters, blankets, socks, etc...People tell me that the gifts are very professional. I think a lot of it is the nice yarn. It looks beautiful.

gadder
6-8-15, 7:54pm
Got a 'new' bike last month (read: I found it at the dunpster 'round the corner), a big upgrade from my old one (read: made in the 21st century not 20th), but riding it during a downpour this week I discovered a need for a rear fender (no more skunk stripe for me). Buy one? Never! Instead, I will attach a piece of flat plastic (cut from recycling waste) to my rear rack. And the bonus is: when my ride looks like Depression-era trailer park trash, no one bothers to steal my bike.

Selah
6-8-15, 8:01pm
Score on the moving front: my mother snagged some moving boxes from her neighbors, who just moved in next door to her and threw the boxes out, and gave them to us. At least $20 saved!

rosarugosa
6-8-15, 8:42pm
I like your thought process, Gadder! I felt the same way about my 19 year old car, now sadly retired.

Selah: Not sure if I congratulated you yet, so congratulations on your new house! I look forward to hearing your adventures in creatively furnishing it :)

Awakened: I wish you could post pictures; I would love to see some of your projects. DH & I have some hand-knitted scarves from my sister and some friends and we love them.

Tussiemussies
6-9-15, 12:29am
Hi Awakened Soul...

Glad to hear that you are moving along with your knitting...all I know how to do is knit and purl, and I would need easy directions. It is so nice that you can make clothing for yoursel...I am sure it is all beautiful....

Well I have to admit I haven't been doing any crafts lately. We just had our powder room horrific bathroom demolished and they put up the wall board and DH is going to do the rest of the work on the weekends. The picking of tile, paint etc. was a lot of fun.

It really is a great way to do a project. We looked up on Angie's list someone with consistent A's and he was an amazing contractor. Now my husband can handle the rest, which we are blessed that he knows how to do these things....so that is pretty much what I have been up to!

It would be nice to see some of you items that you have knit...Chris

kib
6-9-15, 12:39pm
HI kib, I wear it. Instead of buying clothes, I make them. I get a lot of compliments on the sweaters, tank tops, and socks. I took classes with some incredible master teachers, and was surprised at how well the projects came out. Several of my friends and neighbors have asked me to make them baby sweaters, blankets, socks, etc...People tell me that the gifts are very professional. I think a lot of it is the nice yarn. It looks beautiful.Ah that sounds nice. Maybe I should try something with cotton yarn. It's so hot here there really isn't much call for woolens. My mom is an avid knitter, she produces baby clothes like people make bread, but she uses awful cheap poly yarn to make these clothes "for the poor". While I applaud her charity, I find it a great shame that these things that could be wonderful heirlooms are instead this weird amalgam of handmade skill and made-in-china garbage. I always used great yarn and so my things that could be wonderful heirlooms are instead the products of a fifth grader who got into the good stuff.:~) Maybe I should look for a class.

rosarugosa
6-9-15, 6:16pm
Hey Kib, It sounds like you and your mother need to do some kind of a swap!
I'm in New England, so what I think of as knitted garments are probably a far cry from Awakened's linen tank tops.

awakenedsoul
6-9-15, 7:20pm
Hi Guys, I just bought a used mini ipad for $50.00, so I should be able to post some photos soon. It's been hectic...my mom died, so I am dealing with that. I had a guy come over and help me with my computer. He showed me how to post profile pics and photos from a folder on Facebook. We didn't get to everything on my list, because I use an old computer, and it runs slowly. He cleaned it up and got rid of the virus, though. I can probably have a friend help me.

kib, I think a lot of knitting boils down to talent. One of my teachers is a top designer from Germany. She learned from her grandmother and her mother. They owned a knit shop. I felt like I improved just being around her. We all have different talents that come easily to us. Mine happens to be knitting. I also have champagne taste on a beer income, so I buy gorgeous, quality yarn on clearance. The cotton/linen stuff is hand dyed. The colors are beautiful. For the baby sweater I knit my neighbor, I used leftover merino Superwash wool from a sweater I had made myself. That way she can throw it in the washer, and if she accidentally dries it, it won't get ruined. Most knitters use the cheaper yarns for babies. It's easy to wash, and babies grow so fast...I made tons of cotton dishcloths and pot holders in the beginning, to develop technique. Once my stitches looked at a professional level, then I started making clothing.

rosarugosa, I make warm clothing, too. I have to get up early to wear it, though. Seriously, I would walk the dogs at 7:00 a.m. so that I could wear my gloves, scarves, hats, and wool sweaters! It also comes in handy when I'm traveling.

Float On
6-9-15, 7:31pm
awakenedsoul, so sorry about your mom.

Tussiemussies
6-9-15, 8:03pm
Awakenedsoul, I am so sorry about the loss of your mother.....prayers for you...christine

iris lilies
6-9-15, 8:12pm
Ah that sounds nice. Maybe I should try something with cotton yarn. It's so hot here there really isn't much call for woolens. My mom is an avid knitter, she produces baby clothes like people make bread, but she uses awful cheap poly yarn to make these clothes "for the poor". While I applaud her charity, I find it a great shame that these things that could be wonderful heirlooms are instead this weird amalgam of handmade skill and made-in-china garbage. I always used great yarn and so my things that could be wonderful heirlooms are instead the products of a fifth grader who got into the good stuff.:~) Maybe I should look for a class.

This reminds me of my grandmothers. One made lovely quilts. She used 100% cotton, the designs were pretty and she was adamant about fine stitches and pressing. The quilting was professional since she had them done by someone else after piecing them.

My other grandmother used scraps she had around the house, usually polyester. And the color combinations did not work. Her stitches were large and uneven and she finished all quilting herself since she couldn't afford to hire it out. She made a lot of quilts because she completed them quickly! It was a running joke among us grandchildren that another quilt from grandma was inevitably due and it was not entirely welcome. The funniest thing about her quilts was that she left a lot of pins in them, so anyone actually using them would get stuck multiple times by pins.

But yeah, poly yarn is kind of ugh.

Lainey
6-9-15, 11:22pm
Awakenedsoul, sad news about your mother. I hope you and the rest of your family are coping okay, but if you feel the need to process it here online you are very welcome. Many of us here have been in that place ourselves.

rosarugosa
6-10-15, 5:53am
I'm sorry to hear about your mother, Awakened.

Tradd
6-10-15, 8:54am
Awakened Soul, so sorry to hear about your mom.

Tradd
6-10-15, 8:57am
I had $2K in savings. I transferred $1K to my credit card yesterday! :) I should have about 20 hours of OT on the 15th paycheck. That should be a nice chunk, even after the tax hit, which will be put onto my credit card.

Gardnr
6-10-15, 9:21am
We spent less than half our takehome income this 30d cycle:cool: So excited about that!!!!!

iris lilies
6-10-15, 10:00am
We spent less than half our takehome income this 30d cycle:cool: So excited about that!!!!!

That's great, love it!

flowerseverywhere
6-11-15, 9:45am
I put in a large butterfly garden this year and tried to put in as many native plants as I could. I grew a lot from seed, had other gardeners give me cuttings, and bought some at at the farmers market.

Since i I used mostly natives I just planted them in the existing soil. I figured they self seeded in the wild. Anyway all but a few plants are thriving. Every day I have three or four varieties of butterflies. It has given me great joy and cost little.

awakenedsoul
6-11-15, 6:36pm
Thanks to all who mentioned my mom. I miss her, but I am relieved that she is out of pain. I don't like to see people or animals suffer.

flowerseverywhere, Your butterfly garden sound glorious! I have a hummingbird garden. The butterflies love it, too. I had two monarchs circling each other yesterday. It was so uplifting to watch them. It's a great feeling to grow plants from free cuttings and seeds. I've done the same thing here. The compost carries a lot of seeds, too. I just leave the volunteers. They do so well.

mschrisgo2
6-11-15, 8:18pm
Funny that I just realized that I don't think I know anybody IRF who will appreciate this, but I think you all will. I went to the 99 cent store this morning, spent $5: bought 3 pairs of short socks, 4 kitchen towels, 2 emery boards, a 12 oz bottle of Dawn, and a 22 oz bottle of laundry detergent!

I went in to get the emery boards and Dawn, next stop would have been Walmart, where I would have paid about $25 for the other 3 items!

Selah
6-11-15, 9:53pm
We went to a big chain home improvement center yesterday. DH spent approximately $250 on various things our new house needs, not the least of which was over 20 (!) LED high-efficiency lightbulbs. He tried to use the self-checkout, but when he got to the lightbulbs, the scanner would not read the barcodes. A store clerk rang them up for him, he paid, and we left.

Today, he went back there to return a defective lightbulb that was in the bunch. Turns out, the clerk from the day before had entered the wrong price, and we got $108 back! As an added twist, the second clerk chided my husband for "not checking his receipt more carefully" before he left! He replied that he trusted in the competence of the clerk's co-worker, and didn't feel that he had to check. Anyway, it was a happy ending to the story!

flowerseverywhere
6-11-15, 10:33pm
Seleh, I am in the habit of always checking. Just today at the grocery store I went to a line it's a person in it so I could arrange my items on the belt. I watch carefully and find a problem a few times a month. Once someone added my coupons instead of subtracting, she hit the wrong button. Today two big boxes of cereal, my husbands favorite did not ring up buy one get one free. Catching that saved 4.19 x 2.
We also save receipts and I check them again when I get home. I do not hesitate to take a can or package off the belt if it is dented. I am so used to keeping a running total in my head I am within a dollar or two when they tell me the total.
I also do not hesitate to bring something back to the store if it is not right.

Float On
6-11-15, 10:38pm
[QUOTE=mschrisgo2;205966] and a 22 oz bottle of laundry detergent!

QUOTE]

Do you know what brand the detergent was? I got a store brand the other day and I swear it smells like lavender in the bottle and wet dog after it's run the cycle. Not a bargain at all.

mschrisgo2
6-11-15, 10:54pm
Float On, the laundry detergent is "All." It is unscented. I'm debating about going back to get another bottle (they don't always have it), don't really know why I didn't get 2 this morning, except that 1 will last me 3-4 months. I started buying it years ago when I was doing dog rescue and had lots of dog towels to wash. It gets things clean, has no odor, and- the price is right!

Tussiemussies
6-12-15, 12:35am
Hi flowers everywhere, sounds like such a beautiful garden...did you grow any perrinial plants? We're they from seed? Just wondering how hard that is to do...which did you grow?

I always had zinnias and one year Titholonia (sp) or Mexican sunflowers down the center of my vegetable garden and just got so much joy from watching the butterflies and hummingbirds too...it makes me feel like a child again...

Tussiemussies
6-12-15, 12:38am
Selah, lucky that your husband had to go back to the store so that you got your $108.00 dollars back. You must have been relieved afterward...

flowerseverywhere
6-12-15, 8:30am
Tussiemussies, I live in Florida so almost everything is perennial here. I tried to put in native plants, and what seed I could get my hands on I grew from seed. Gardening is a whole different animal down here. The growing season is about four times longer than NJ as it is sunny almost every day. Right now it is too hot to set tomatoes, while up north you are all anxiously waiting for your first to ripen. My orchids stay outside all but a few days of the year when light frost comes through. A gardeners and birders dream living here.
When I lived in the north, I grew lots of coneflowers, black eyed Susan's, hostas and coral bells as perennials. I kept dividing the plants. I also had nicotiana (flowering tobacco) which I grew from seed. It is invasive here so I don't grow it. I am going to start a what are you growing thread.

Mary B.
6-12-15, 10:53am
About checking receipts -- I'm not very good at that, but like flowerseverwhere i keep a running total as I shop.
I found off to the nearest dollar to do this -- so if an item's $3.49 it counts as $3, and if it's $3.51 it counts as $4. If the till receipt's within a couple of dollars I don't worry about it, but if it's much more than that I check it.
Doesn't account for tax, which often catches me off guard, but I suppose just adding the appropriate percentage at the end would do that. Somehow i never remember that part -- my Mom taught me how to do this at the grocery store when i was really little and there was no tax on groceries.

Tussiemussies
6-12-15, 5:20pm
Hi flowers, Wow it truly is a gardener's dream there! Do your plants die out at a certain point in the season and new ones have to be grown? When you lived in the north did you start your perrinials from seed? Also how do you know when it is time to divide plants? My Siberian Irises are growing in a circle now and I don't know if the means it is time to divide...thank you for your help! Christine

rosarugosa
6-18-15, 7:25am
Wow, not much action in the Frugals Forum this month! I have one to share. My Mom doesn't have a computer so will sometimes ask me to buy something for her online and then she writes me a check. She wanted me to order her about $300 worth of salmon from Seabear. I placed the order through the Swagbucks site, and I'll be getting about $15.00 worth of Swag Points. I've never done much through that site other than answer the daily poll question, which means I can earn a $5.00 Amazon card in about 1.5 years! So this was an eye-opener for me and now I'll always check the SB site before placing an online order to see if I can earn Swag Points. I used a rewards card, so that will also yield about $3.00 in credit card rewards.
We've been trending in the wrong direction with dining out recently, but last Sat night DH cooked one of his famous restaurant-worthy meals (sea scallops) and we made mojitos at home. So not the cheapest meal ever, but way cheaper than eating out. We had also bought some peaches that were going from rock-hard to rotten, so I cleaned and cut them up, and DH turned them into peach pie, so much better than garbage. :)

awakenedsoul
6-18-15, 12:55pm
We have this new supermarket that opened nearby about six months ago. It's called Vallarta, and they have excellent deals on produce. You have to go on Wednesdays to get the best prices. Yesterday I bought a huge papaya, two containers of strawberries, eight avocados, two pineapples, and three pounds of limes. My total was $10.00!

With this heat, I've been eating mostly fruits and salads. My neighbor sells me fresh eggs at $3.00 a dozen. I've been having one of those raw swished in a glass of soy milk. It's inexpensive protein...kind of like an eggnog. The vegetable garden is bursting with life. I've been keeping it watered and fed. The compost tea has been a real money saver. I use all of my autumn leaves as mulch, and they provide a nice slow feed to the trees.

The other day I went to the Salvation Army with a friend. I bought a gown for an upcoming reunion for the cast of "42nd Street", a long black dress, a sun dress, two glasses, a small vintage coffee cup, and a set of pails. the total for everything came to $14.00! The dresses fit perfectly, and are in excellent condition. I love shopping there. The deals are amazing, and it's a good cause.

cdttmm
6-19-15, 8:31am
A few small frugals over here. I harvested rhubarb and strawberries and made a rhubarb-strawberry crumble. Delicious! And neither my rhubarb plants nor my strawberry plants get much in the way of care from me so it truly is like getting free food!!!

My mom is here visiting for her annual gardening extravaganza and we went out to eat at a local place last night and used some gift certificates that I bought years ago on a BOGO gift certificate deal. The food was mediocre and the service was terrible, but we only paid cash for the tax and tip so it was worth it to not have to cook after a day of gardening.

The weather has been nice so I've been line drying clothes whenever I can. Plus no need to turn on the A/C except for maybe 15 minutes every few days to help with the humidity.

Had a leadership training for three days at work this week. Breakfast and lunch was provided as part of the training.

iris lilies
6-19-15, 9:05am
Hi flowers, Wow it truly is a gardener's dream there! Do your plants die out at a certain point in the season and new ones have to be grown? When you lived in the north did you start your perrinials from seed? Also how do you know when it is time to divide plants? My Siberian Irises are growing in a circle now and I don't know if the means it is time to divide...thank you for your help! Christine

Yes, divide your Siberians.

Tussiemussies
6-19-15, 7:07pm
Thanks iris, what are the signs that you should divide the Iris'?

awakenedsoul
6-19-15, 7:34pm
Yesterday I made pizza dough and homemade sauce. I'd forgotten how delicious and inexpensive pizza is. The recipe makes enough for four pizzas. That will be an easy meal I can reheat in the toaster oven all week. I used fresh oregano and basil from the garden. The tomatoes I bought on sale, 3 lbs. for a dollar. Had to take one of my dogs to the vet for another skin infection. She keeps licking herself raw. So, that wasn't so frugal, but I had plenty of cash set aside in my emergency fund. I walked her there. (A 45 minute walk each way.) Have been doing yoga at home, which is free. Will do a load of laundry this evening with homemade washing powder and hang it on the clothesline. Yesterday I washed the dog beds. I've been running the window air conditioner and the ceiling fans. It doesn't cost much at 77 degrees, and we're much more comfortable in this heat! Have been leaving the windows open at night. I hear roosters crowing all night long, but it doesn't really bother me. It makes me feel like I live on a farm...

rosarugosa
6-21-15, 9:26am
Awakened: Homemade pizza is a great frugal meal, one of our favorites!

I think I must be deranged or something. I spent so much money this past week on non-necessities. Granted, it was my own saved allowance, so it isn't like I was spending the grocery budget or something, but there is no question the money could have served me better deployed elsewhere. Yesterday I went to a vintage bazaar with DSIS, DH, DBIL, & a very DF. This had been planned and anticipated for a long time. I spent $80.00 on lovely things I do not need, including a pair of earrings. They are wonderful earrings, but I already had 93 pairs of earrings, which is just crazy! I picked up the tab for dinner and paid for some drinks, snacks and admission for DH & me, and that came to another $200. Now I don't feel too bad about the $200 actually, since good food and drink with people I love is OK in my book. But the STUFF I don't need is just a stupid waste of money. Instead of just talking about my frugal successes here, I think I'm going to do a weekly recap on my allowance and non-essential expenditures to add a sense of accountability. This reflection did prompt me to cull a bunch of jewelry from my collection to bring to the consignment shop, but I don't want to fall into a "purge and splurge" mindset either, since that's another way to waste time & money.
ETA: Thanks for listening!

lessisbest
6-21-15, 10:44am
Awakened: Homemade pizza is a great frugal meal, one of our favorites!

I think I must be deranged or something. I spent so much money this past week on non-necessities. Granted, it was my own saved allowance, so it isn't like I was spending the grocery budget or something, but there is no question the money could have served me better deployed elsewhere. Yesterday I went to a vintage bazaar with DSIS, DH, DBIL, & a very DF. This had been planned and anticipated for a long time. I spent $80.00 on lovely things I do not need, including a pair of earrings. They are wonderful earrings, but I already had 93 pairs of earrings, which is just crazy! I picked up the tab for dinner and paid for some drinks, snacks and admission for DH & me, and that came to another $200. Now I don't feel too bad about the $200 actually, since good food and drink with people I love is OK in my book. But the STUFF I don't need is just a stupid waste of money. Instead of just talking about my frugal successes here, I think I'm going to do a weekly recap on my allowance and non-essential expenditures to add a sense of accountability. This reflection did prompt me to cull a bunch of jewelry from my collection to bring to the consignment shop, but I don't want to fall into a "purge and splurge" mindset either, since that's another way to waste time & money.
ETA: Thanks for listening!

It's soooooo easy to spend money --- even small things. I even drop-the-ball occasionally with my "walking around money", and the wonder why I did that! I've now developed a secondary reaction to my "wants" by asking myself is there another option, do I already have something similar, how much will it cost per (use, wear), instead of purchasing a book checking to see if it is available from the public library? I don't do without, I do "different".

Example: I was given a bottle of Aura Cacia aromatherapy mist "Patchouli/Sweet Orange" and I like to spray it on our pillowcases when I change the sheets. Instead of buying another bottle of this product at $5-6 for 4-oz., I invested a little more than that in patchouli and sweet orange scented oils and now I make a homemade version of it for pennies. It's easy to justify almost anything at the time. But then buyer's regret sets in.

June is a no-shopping month for me (other than groceries), and I only shop every other month, and I've decided this morning to only shop the first week and the last week of shopping months to reduce the "pull" of unnecessary shopping even more, and to keep focused.

SteveinMN
6-21-15, 2:05pm
I'm starting to think that "frugal" should be redefined a bit. Maybe we'd have a few more frugals to report.

Besides the usual no-drive days (i figured out I'm putting less than 7,000 miles a year on my car -- and it's the one we take on long trips) and a nice spring that has saved on air conditioning and garden watering, there hasn't been much to be proud of.

I finally bought a replacement for my laptop. I tried to strike a balance between saving money up front only to spend it shortly thereafter. Sure, I could buy a used three-year-old laptop that was maybe 80% of the power I would use on a regular basis. But then you're dealing with a three-year-old battery and a three-year-old hard drive and, at well over $100 apiece to replace them, a brand-new laptop was within a couple hundred of that and it would be totally new, significantly faster, more futureproofed, and come with a warranty and no history besides. So I bought a new-in-box last year's model. Since I'll very likely keep this one till it drops (another 7-8 years of hours of daily pounding), the price differential was not huge. But I saved about 25% over buying the equivalent 2015 model, so I'll count that as a 'win'.

We are expecting house guests at the end of this week; two will go up to camp in the Boundary Waters; the one who broke his wrist will stay with us. However, that will give me someone who can help with some house repairs, so maybe I'll get some things done. One good thing about making money back in the day is that we would have paid a handyman/electrician/whoever to handle the project and it would be done <sound of hands dusting themselves off>. Now it seems there are so many things to do they tend to back up on each other....

We've been eating out of the fridge and freezer for the last couple of weeks; my only food shopping has been what few items I've needed for recipes. Even the Mexican hot dish (casserole to you non-Minnesotans) I brought to a party yesterday was made of ingredients mostly already in the house. The plan with the hot dish was to bring it and have the leftovers at home. But it was popular enough with everyone that there wasn't much to bring home.

Still to come: copays for medical procedures DW and I need to complete this month. A clutch (actually a flywheel) for my car (that and the work that should be done when you've opened it all up will come to over $1,000). Time to get the window folks in here to order a couple more windows before the snow flies. It's not going to be a cheap month. Yeesh.

rosarugosa
6-21-15, 3:32pm
Lessisbest, Steve: I think "frugal" is a pretty broad concept. It isn't necessarily going to be the same thing for two different people, or even for the same person at two different points in time. I think the most critical elements to me are mindfulness in spending and whether a given expenditure is moving me closer to or further from my most important goals. Lessisbest gives some good examples above of satisfying wants using a bit more thought and effort, and a lot less money. I suspect the solutions ultimately felt even more gratifying than their immediate gratification alternatives. Steve, it sounds like your computer purchase was carefully weighed and considered, and so probably was a more frugal choice, even if it had a higher up-front price tag.
I was talking to my sister today, and she was saying she exercised restraint yesterday because she didn't buy "a million things." LOL. She is a regular shopping machine, so she probably was indeed restrained by her standards. As I said previously, I have no regrets for the non-thing expenditures, but Lessisbest might be appalled at such a large expenditure on food in one day, since you watch your food budget so carefully (I am in awe!) But that lobster avocado club sandwich was worth every penny! :)
I can generally tell when I'm rationalizing to myself and when I'm living up to my own standards.
I did notice that of the $80 I spent on stuff, I only spent $5. pre-wine tent, and the other $75 after two glasses of wine. A wise friend once said that it is never a good idea to shop after cocktails and I have to agree. So next time I will wait to enjoy the adult beverages & music until after all the vendor booths have been visited!

gettingthere
6-22-15, 9:58pm
I haven't posted in a million years (maybe since the forums were on a different site?) but I check in to read posts every now and again. Anyway, I've had a few frugals this month:
*Been reading a book loaned to me by a neighbor as my primary source of entertainment. It's a long one (The Goldfinch) and I don't have a ton of free time so it's lasting me a while. I have another book (A Little Life) on loan from the library on deck.
*I've been trying to cook from scratch and use up leftovers. Today was leftovers for lunch and homemade pizza for dinner. Pizza leftovers will be tomorrow's lunch.
*For about a year I've been thinking about getting a bike to ride around the neighborhood with my daughter (she's 6). I have found the bikes at big box stores to seem very poorly made so I went to a local bike shop. I almost fell over when I found out bikes start at about $450. So I asked if they might be able to repair my 12 year old Diamond Back (that really hasn't been used in about 8 years but it's been stored in basements and attics with extreme temps and some mold issues). To my surprise, they said they should be able to easily. I dug it out of the basement, cleaned it a bit and dropped it off. Should be getting a quote tomorrow. I LOVED that bike back in the day and I think I still will. I wish I had thought of repairing this one sooner.
*Went to a local surplus store yesterday and got a few pairs of shorts for my daughter. She seems to be able to wear things two summers and this is the first year we had no hand-me-downs to dig in to. So $2.99 a pair didn't seem so bad.
*Looking for lots of free things to do for summer vacation. We can walk to a playground and can walk (and soon ride bikes :)) to a beach down the street so that should fill up lots of time. Today it was playing with a neighbor, picnic snacks, dance party in the living room, watching geese in the pond across the street and searching for tadpoles and frogs.

Hope to be a more frequent poster now :)

rosarugosa
6-23-15, 5:44am
Welcome to the Frugals thread, Gettingthere! It sounds like resurrecting your bike will be an awesome frugal that will provide entertainment, exercise & transportation - a total win!

cdttmm
6-23-15, 8:13am
Welcome, gettingthere! Good luck with your Diamond Back bike. I sold bikes for them a very long time ago. They are generally quality bikes so a few years of storage -- even under less than ideal conditions -- shouldn't be an issue. Glad to hear you're getting it fixed up and will be able to ride soon!

Split two more bee hives so now I have five colonies sitting on my deck and another six in my apiary. Not bad considering I started the season with three, bought three more, acquired one free from a friend, and then split several. Good thing this is all happening as I'm going to need as much beekeeping practice as I can get over the next six weeks because. . . I just found out I got accepted into the Master Beekeeper program, which means I head to the University of Guelph, in Ontario, Canada to take the four-day-long Master Beekeeper exam in August! Fortunately, I have the month of July off from work so I will be studying, studying, studying like it's my full time job!

During my mom's annual gardening visit we spent a whopping $150 on gardening supplies, including a few plants and some mulch. This is a record low for us and I usually budget significantly more, but we were very focused on making things easier to maintain, not harder, so that played into much of our work this time around.

We did spend about $150 for a fancy dinner out as a thank you to my mom. Like rosarugosa, I consider good meals out with family to be an experience and one worth paying for. Considering that my beloved and I used to go out to these types of dinners at least 2x per month before my simple-living days, I figure we've made huge progress as we now only do this about 4x per year: when my mom is here, for our respective birthdays, and for our anniversary.

Been trying to keep the A/C off as much as possible. We did have a few high humidity days this month so that necessitated some A/C use, but we've been keeping it pretty minimal. It's set at 78F, generally, and we drop it down to 74F to cool things off or dry things out a bit when it's really needed. Otherwise, just keeping the house closed up, shades drawn, awning open over the deck, and we're pretty good to go indoors.

Picked what is likely the last of our strawberries yesterday. Not a bad haul for a strawberry patch that has been completed neglected. Thinking maybe I'll expand it into another defunct raised garden bed next year.

gettingthere
6-23-15, 9:08am
Thank you for the welcomes! I really need this in my life right now. I left a relatively good paying job last year to pursue a life that is more satisfying (my job now allows me to make my own schedule and be home with my daughter after school and in the summer. And, I am not constantly rushing around to try to fit things in). Although we no longer pay for daycare, we still feel the pinch of not having a steady income. I work completely on commission now so I might make $4000-6000 in a lump sum but go months with no income at all. I'm working hard to figure out how to stretch and save (for the in between times and the future).

At any rate, today's frugal is using up some plain yogurt and an avocado that are both about to turn. I found a recipe to make an avocado dip with them and I'm hoping that will get me and my daughter eating more vegetables today and tomorrow :)

My free activity for my daughter today was supposed to be her going to a friend's house for the afternoon but I just got a message that the friend is sick. So, trying to figure out if the beach is an option (the weather seems to be up in the air). If not, I think we'll hit the library and go here: http://www.strawberybanke.org/ We have a season pass that we won a couple of months ago and haven't gone yet.

SteveinMN
6-23-15, 9:42am
rosa, I agree with you. "Frugal" has a broad definition. I could soldier on with my old laptop, repaired, at considerably less cost than a new one, though I run the risk of technological obsolescence (security updates for the operating system, etc.). I have no idea how long I can drive on that bad flywheel, but I've read that its total failure will be a truly expensive repair, so it's cheaper to fix it now. Really, it's spending in service of avoiding bigger expenses later. That's frugal. It just doesn't feel so frugal when it costs four figures at a time and a few of those expenses show up in a month. :0!

early morning
6-27-15, 2:00pm
After two months of non-frugals (some anticipated, some not so much, and a bit due to backsliding....) I finally found a few things to help keep my spirits up. Just returned from a lovely conference at a nice resort (well, nice for an Ohio resort, lol!) with zero expenses after reimbursement. I will actually come out ahead, just not sure of how much yet. I now have some great new ideas, contacts, and information, am re-energized for work, had evenings free all by myself, all at no financial cost to me - that's a win in my book! Brought home the extra shampoo and lotion - they were in pretty big bottles. Here at home, I've cut open two lotion tubes and my toothpaste, and upended a glass bottle of lotion, to get out the last of them. It's amazing how much more you can get out of them when they're "empty". I've put 15 cent feeder goldfish in my tiny pond to eat the mosquito wigglers instead of the more expensive, larger goldfish. I bought 9 and have at least three left after a racoon buffet, so all is well there. DH fixed the pond pump when it refused to work, saving the cost of a new pump. I thought I needed several new storage tubs, but after a clean-out, I should have all I need, except one smaller one for my seldom used but still necessary large Tupperware-style containers. It will come from the dollar store and not cost much. We use a lot of the little battery operated votive lights, and my SIL gave me a partially filled shoebox of them that her work was throwing out. We will put them to good use! So that's it - not much but enough to keep me from feeling like a frugal failure,:devil:

Selah
6-27-15, 4:36pm
We've moved house and needed more furniture since we're in a bigger space--one extra room, basically. It never occurred to me that we could buy our furniture at Fred Meyer's, a regional grocery store chain that is kind of like a smaller-scale Wal-Mart. We waited till a sale came around, and then waited until we got a 20% coupon near the end of the sale. Then we bought the floor model of the couch/chaise lounge we wanted, so we negotiated another 20% off the sale price. THEN, we rented a truck for $35 and moved it ourselves, instead of paying the store $90 to do it. It's beautiful and we love it...even more so because it's of great quality and for 40% less than the very reasonable original sale price. Goal!

I also interviewed for a temporary job (2 months or so) and negotiated $1.95 more per hour than they originally listed the position for. I have one other competitor, and find out Monday whether I get the gig or not. Fingers crossed! I can work my other jobs around it for a couple of months so when it ends, I'll still have my original jobs. This will help pay a lot of the debt we've racked up :( over the past year or so while we were getting back on our feet after returning from Israel so unexpectedly.

rosarugosa
6-28-15, 8:40am
I only did so-so this week. I spent $25 at the local consignment shop on a pair of pink jeans, clearly something that cannot be considered a need by any stretch of the imagination!
We did avoid eating out, although DH had surgery Weds & wasn't up for cooking. Bought a couple of easy to eat with minimal prep items from Costco and the bakery, but I feel pretty OK about that.

Gardnr
6-28-15, 9:35pm
I did great last week at the meat markdown bin! 2 pork tenderloins for $11.40. 93% lean hamburger 25% off. 10 pork loin steaks 25% off. That's a lot of meals for under $50!!! Me so happy!

AND we have not eaten out in nearly 2w. that's huge for us!

Tussiemussies
6-29-15, 1:37am
This week my husband took off from work and is finishing our powder room. We had someone demo it and put up the wall boards and spackle, but he is doing the rest. He put the filling on the floor and did a great job, hopefully he will finish it this week! Saving so much money by having him do this. We are going to go out a bit on certain days and see some sights and eat out....

pony mom
6-29-15, 11:30pm
Another great thrift store find: a pair of closed-back leather Dansko clogs for....$7.50!!! It looks as if they've been worn just a few times, and luckily they're a few years old, made when they were still made in Denmark. They are SOOOOOO comfortable and feel broken in after just a few hours of wearing them. I'm hooked and when they die, I'll buy a pair of Sanitas (who were the original makers of Dansko).

On Sunday I went on a bus trip to Winterthur, the Du Pont estate in DE. It was a great day out and they had gorgeous gifts in their gift shop. I managed to spend only $6 on a beautiful figurine of a fox. My mom bought me its mate : ) Like I need more stuff to dust....but they're really gorgeous. Mine are smaller versions of these: http://www.winterthurstore.com/product/432212/Auburn-Fox-Statue.html?cid=35

Du Pont was a collector of American furniture and art and he has the original painting of George Washington that we all remember hanging in our schoolrooms. His home made me fall in love with colonial furniture again.

early morning
6-30-15, 12:32am
Yesterday I was able to line dry some laundry outside. It smells so good! It's been very wet here so most of my laundry is hung in the living room with a fan on it. Still taking lunch/coffee/water to work. Little by little.....

freshstart
7-1-15, 10:52am
I wanted to make a draft dodger to go in front of a door yesterday .

thanks for this laugh: I read this sentence a few times and was all what is she talking about, we don't have draft dodgers because we don't have a draft. :doh: To my credit, I had never heard of draft dodgers.