PDA

View Full Version : Last day at work tomorrow, returning to the US on June 27th

lhamo
6-14-15, 5:10am
I haven't been posting here as much as I used to -- those who are interested in the long version of my last few months of ups and downs can read about it in my journal over on the MMM forums (username the same as here).

Short version of the story: My DS has been admitted to a special program at the University of Washington, so he and I are returning to Seattle on June 27th for at least the next year. DH and DD will stay in China for the time being, hopefully joining us at the end of next year (still discussing that bit as DH is reluctant to leave paid employment).

We have sufficient financial resources that I do not have to work for the next year, and possibly not after that (depends on whether we sell our Beijing apartment). So I will be on sabbatical. I have resigned from my position in Beijing and tomorrow is my last day at work. :cool:

I have had a rough couple of years, so am very much looking forward to having a break from work stress. Plan to spend the first few months focusing on restoring my physical and mental health. After that there are some different projects I am contemplating.

This whole thing is the result of following YMOYL principals since I first read the book in 1997. Very, very grateful to Joe and Vicki and everyone who worked with them to get that message out into the world. And thrilled to be returning to Seattle!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

bae
6-14-15, 5:52am
I would love to get together for coffee next time I'm down South in Seattle and hear your tale!

iris lilies
6-14-15, 7:59am
This is great news, yay! On to another life adventure.

rosarugosa
6-14-15, 8:05am
Good for you, Ihamo! Do keep us posted on your transition.

JaneV2.0
6-14-15, 9:15am
Beijing's loss is Seattle's gain; it's lovely here. Welcome back!

catherine
6-14-15, 9:26am
Wow, big change for you! Enjoy it! Keep us posted.

Zoe Girl
6-14-15, 9:43am
i have been waiting to hear when the transition would take place, happy to be much closer now. hope we will hear more about transitioning to not working and being in the us

pinkytoe
6-14-15, 10:12am
I have always enjoyed your perspective. Good luck and health to you!!

Mary B.
6-14-15, 11:16am
Well done! Congratulations to you, and to your son on admission to UW. Is he doing the speedy route into university without going through the end stages of high school? My great-niece did that program and has done very well.

gimmethesimplelife
6-14-15, 11:36am
Enjoy your year or more off of formal work.....more power to you for placing yourself and your physical, emotional, and spiritual health over employment, and more power to you for being in a financial position to do this! I still am debating the possibility of my working for a national park in Washington State for a season - in a non-server capacity (my way of placing myself first in a way) but I'll be marrying in October (a very good thing) and I think this may nip some of my travel/hit the road lifestyle in the bud. Enjoy Seattle/Washington State for me! And I'm really glad you are getting this time out for yourself! Rob

Selah
6-14-15, 12:27pm
Hooray! Enjoy Seattle...the UW is my parents' alma mater and the city of my birth. Let us know when you're up for receiving private messages from people (like me!) who would love to meet you IRL. I live in Bellingham, now. Safe and pleasant journey!

Tussiemussies
6-14-15, 10:09pm
Good luck to you and your whole family on this new phase of life. Very glad for you that you now have the time to recuperate on all levels from what you have been going through. Hope you enjoy your new adventure! Christine

Tradd
6-14-15, 10:15pm
Thank you for the update. Sounds like you're in for an interesting time. Hope it goes well.

lhamo
6-15-15, 5:31am
I would love to get together for coffee next time I'm down South in Seattle and hear your tale!

That would be great, bae! I may also make it up to the San Juans at some point.

lhamo
6-15-15, 5:32am
i have been waiting to hear when the transition would take place, happy to be much closer now. hope we will hear more about transitioning to not working and being in the us

I'll let you know if/when I'm heading your direction. Not sure if I'll make it this summer/fall, but I hope so.

razz
6-15-15, 1:13pm
You will have an interesting perspective on the situation in China that I would love to hear about at some point. Is all of China on the same mindset as outlined in our media or just individual provinces depending on the leadership in control. So many questions like that...

TVRodriguez
6-15-15, 3:31pm
Woohoo!! Very exciting. I hope you enjoy the time you've made for yourself. It's great seeing all those years of work pay off with the ability to choose how to spend your time.

Lainey
6-16-15, 8:08pm
Wonderful news, lhamo. Good for you for persevering and getting your life in balance, and for your son's educational opportunity. You'll have to let us know how the transition goes.

Rosemary
6-16-15, 8:23pm
Wishing you and your family all the best in this new phase!

Teacher Terry
6-16-15, 9:16pm
So glad that you are getting needed time off. Have fun!!

Zoe Girl
6-17-15, 7:48am
I'll let you know if/when I'm heading your direction. Not sure if I'll make it this summer/fall, but I hope so.

i owe another friend a trip to that region as well, so there is a chance but not soon as well.

Geila
6-17-15, 10:55am
Have a great time on your sabbatical! It sounds like you can really use the time to restore yourself, both emotionally and physically. Enjoy!

flowerseverywhere
6-18-15, 9:33am
It will be interesting to see how you feel about this in six months or a year. I went to MM and read your story. It seems a few years ago you were so sure and hopeful about reaching FI yet this last stretch took a lot out of you. In retrospect it will be interesting to see if in the long run you would have done things the same way. I know in my life there are definitely some things I would have done differently knowing what I know today.

lhamo
7-12-15, 6:40pm
It will be interesting to see how you feel about this in six months or a year. I went to MM and read your story. It seems a few years ago you were so sure and hopeful about reaching FI yet this last stretch took a lot out of you. In retrospect it will be interesting to see if in the long run you would have done things the same way. I know in my life there are definitely some things I would have done differently knowing what I know today.

I learned a lot -- professionally as well as about myself -- in the last two years so I think I probably would have still accepted the acting director role. But I would have insisted on having performance goals and compensation structure outlined in advance. Then again, I read "Quitter" by Jon Acuff the other day and one of the things he said that struck me is that you have to know about yourself is where your strengths and passions really lie and resist the urge to follow different paths because they seem like they might be good. The Acting Director role was that for me. I can do office administration/management stuff, but it isn't my passion. I am a program person. I love to design/implement/refine programs and see how they benefit people. The higher level position was much too far removed from that and I spent 80-90% of my time stuck with mindless administrative minutia that just about drove me insane. I lost a lot of what I enjoyed about my work, and didn't even have a higher salary to compensate for the extra stress/unhappiness. So I don't know -- maybe in hindsight I wouldn't have taken that offer. But if I hadn't I might have just been happy to stay in Beijing and then I wouldn't be sitting here in Seattle right now. If only life were a Choose Your Own Adventure book that you could go back and have a do over just by flipping some pages....

The transition has gone fairly well so far aside from me overdoing it physically and messing up my surgical scars. Hopefully nothing worse than that. Will have an ultrasound later this week to ensure there are no deeper complications. DS is doing very well in his math classes (doing homework as I write this). We are waiting for our furniture to arrive/be assembled. Due to physical complications and lack of a vehicle to transport I couldn't use used sources for our bigger furniture so we went the Ikea route. Should be able to sell it off at 50% of what we paid if we don't end up staying. Cheaper than renting a furnished place. Hopefully I'll be able to lift again in a few weeks and we can get the remaining pieces we need from used sources.

Only 2 weeks until DH and DD arrive for their 3+ week visit. I'm glad we timed things this way. It will be good that we are settled in and DS is almost done with his classes by the time they arrive.

razz
7-13-15, 10:12am
Lhamo, what I have found out over my life is that if you do what seems best given the known info of the time, it is always a gain in so many ways that you cannot see at the time.

I remember being devastated when we had to sell our farm and later move with DH's job. It was the best opportunity for both me professionally and completing my degree and my children to complete their education both as school and socially.

I now at age 71, look back and count my many blessings from all the challenges and life experiences that took me in directions that I would not have explored otherwise.

You may need more time and distance from the past as yet but you will see the same degree of benefit to your life with all your storms and joys.

You will succeed at whatever you do with the knowledge and skills that you have earned. Best wishes!