PDA

View Full Version : "...but we HAVE to have a phone number."

Dhiana
4-1-11, 3:33pm
Wasn't sure which catagory to place this...

We have a prepay phone so if anyone calls us, it costs us money.
So we do not like to give it out to anyone 'cept close friends and family.

I personally hate phones, you want to reach me, then email me. This stupid phone is the hot potato in our home. Neither one of us wants it, but we know we should have it.

Yet many places we do business, demand a phone number. Most recently we had to suddenly rent a storage unit for all of our household goods, which I did online.
Of course they wouldn't process it unless I entered a phone number. They've called no less than three times in the week we have had it to ask if we were really coming to rent the unit, and how did we like the unit now that we had possession of it, etc...
Each of these calls costs us money and are just annoying!

I had to suddenly rent a car and Thrifty wanted a SECOND phone number! Ummm, we share a phone. We don't have a second number. They continued to insist on a second phone number saying it was, "for our protection in case we leave something valuable in the car." Which I know is a big load.

What phone number do you give out?
Do you make one up? I don't feel comfortable with that.
Nor do I feel comfortable giving a friend or family member's phone number out. I don't believe that is right either.
Even if I did have permission, I think it's wrong to ask for a phone number of someone whose phone bill I do not pay.

I would love to give them/set up a # that would charge them $4.95/min & .99 for each additional minute. If you know how I can do that, it would be great, too :~)

Thanks,
Dhiana

bae
4-1-11, 3:36pm
I just hand out a Google Voice number.

Float On
4-1-11, 4:01pm
I understand - I hate phones, can't stand to talk on them. I let everything go to voicemail and then check messages twice a day (usually replying by email if I can). When asked for a 2nd number I'll usually give my work number that goes to a voice mail.

Rosemary
4-1-11, 4:37pm
I use an old phone number when necessary.

Dhiana
4-1-11, 4:48pm
I don't have a work number to give out, although I love Rosemary's idea of using my old phone number...I would love to give them my Japanese cell phone number =) No one would call me there, hehehe.

Does it cost anything for a Google Voice Number?

Does anyone know how to not give any phone number at all? Really I'm not legally required to have a phone, nor be available to be reached by phone either.

Madsen
4-1-11, 5:18pm
> Does anyone know how to not give any phone number at all? Really I'm not legally required to have a phone, nor be available to be reached by phone either.

Not a question of legality --- if a private company wants to make you jump through various hoops to provide you with goods/services, it's up to you to either jump through their hoops or decide not to partake in their goods/services. This is where the 'vote with your wallet' concept comes in to play.

Dharma Bum
4-1-11, 6:37pm
867-5309

janharker
4-1-11, 6:57pm
I give out the phone number of a previous employer, who fired me. If they want a second number, I give them that company's fax number.

Dhiana
4-1-11, 11:31pm
LOL Dharma Bum :)

Sadly, to do much of anything in America now everyone demands a phone number. We've been really hard by the ripple effects of the tsunami, long story, and had to do business at the last minute w/people we wouldn't normally do business with such as storage company & didn't have time to discover the car company's 2nd phone number policy until I was there, in the office, and NEEDED to rent the car :( Ugh.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions :)
Dhiana

jp1
4-1-11, 11:37pm
867-5309

Jenny! I got your number on the WA-alll. Jenny...

We saw an episode of some show on VH1 that was a "where are they now" show that featured tommy tutone and the woman from the Motels. Tommy was working as an IT guy at a law firm in portland oregon and totally miserable. Way too much overtime and stress and all that. The woman from the motels was doing community theatre in seattle and loving life...

To answer the OP's question. SO and I each have a cell phone. It's our only phone numbers. I'd never use SO's cell as my second #. If I had to give 2 I'd give my work number as the second number, but I'd fight them all the way. If we were doing something together like renting a storage unit and they required a second number we'd probably use our 2 cell #'s.

WOrst case scenario I'd use bae's idea and get numbers from google voice. Much the same way I have throw-away email addresses to use when I don't want to give out my real email address. I have one email address I've used for years that I only keep as a throwaway at this point. I probably get a dozen spam emails per day to it. When I need an address but know it'll be marketed to I use this longstanding yahoo address, check it during the time period that I know I'll be getting email, and then after that ignore it until the next time I'll be getting an email from someone. I haven't had the need for phone numbers the way I have for emails, but using google voice I'd do the same thing.

Rosemary
4-1-11, 11:38pm
When stores ask for a phone number at checkout, I just say, "No, thank you."
But in the case of renting a car, I don't know if there's any way out of it.

gimmethesimplelife
4-1-11, 11:56pm
867-5309LOL I remember that song!!! Good one, I'll have to give this out sometime! Rob

Tiam
4-2-11, 12:07am
When stores ask for a phone number at checkout, I just say, "No, thank you."
But in the case of renting a car, I don't know if there's any way out of it.

As for stores asking for my phone number I say no. Even online orders ask for phone numbers though, which I don't care for. I don't think I should HAVE to give a phone number. At least I should have an option to say I don't have one.

Reyes
4-2-11, 12:44am
I would just make up a phone number.

p.s. I get so irked when I am told I "have" to provide an email address. Saying I don't have one is not a satisfactory answer in some stores.

Sad Eyed Lady
4-2-11, 12:27pm
I always wonder what the Amish do? They use some of the same services but would not have a phone number to give out. If you don't have it, you don't have it.............

herbgeek
4-2-11, 5:03pm
Actually, a number of Amish, particularly business people, do have phones. Either land lines that are housed in a shanty, and often shared with neighbors, or more increasingly a cell phone.

Take a look at this link: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/7.01/amish.html

Kestrel
4-2-11, 6:08pm
DH and I each have a cell phone, tho I seldom use mine but he uses his all the time. Our checks have our old phone number on them, but we so seldom use checks anymore so that's not much of an issue. The only places that have asked for emails in awhile have been places I didn't mind giving them one, but the idea to use an extra address just for that purpose is a good one. I think I'll do that right now ... :)

Sad Eyed Lady
4-2-11, 8:12pm
Actually, a number of Amish, particularly business people, do have phones. Either land lines that are housed in a shanty, and often shared with neighbors, or more increasingly a cell phone.

Take a look at this link: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/7.01/amish.html

Oh, I didn't realize this. But after reading your post seems like I do remember hearing about the shared land line in small buildings. I guess everyone is getting modernized today! LOL!

AustinKat
4-2-11, 10:50pm
For online orders, I used to give a local time-and-temperature number. (Do those still exist?) In stores, I just say it's unlisted, and I've never been hassled about it. I doubt that would work with a car rental, though.

jennipurrr
4-3-11, 4:09pm
p.s. I get so irked when I am told I "have" to provide an email address. Saying I don't have one is not a satisfactory answer in some stores.

I tell them I am already on their mailing list...that works 99% of the time, even if its not true.

Zoe Girl
4-3-11, 6:04pm
Oh dear, I have so many numbers that I forget which one I put at what place. Only recently have I had any phone calls that were not really necessary and so I have to handle that. My phone plan has pretty generous minutes so I don't worry about a few calls. Now if I was charged per day or per call I would make that clear with a rental company and say only call in case of emergency. I have a few phone numbers I put down on emergency cards since that is required where I work. I have never had any problems with that however.

Is there a way to state with the storage unit company and car rental that the phone number is only for emergencies or if you have not paid a bill? I would think that is possible.

Bronxboy
4-3-11, 7:45pm
I've been questioning the need to keep our landline number lately. Keeping sales calls from our cell phones may be a legitimate reason to keep it, though I will have to look into Google voice.

SoSimple
4-4-11, 9:49pm
Google voice is definitely worth it. First number is free, you can add more after that for $10 flat fee. You can set up forwarding also to a "real" phone if you want. Also you can get any voicemails left at your Google Voice number emailed to you for free - both as a .wav file and (somewhat inaccurately) as a transcript.

Spartana
4-5-11, 1:50pm
I understand - I hate phones, can't stand to talk on them. I let everything go to voicemail and then check messages twice a day (usually replying by email if I can). When asked for a 2nd number I'll usually give my work number that goes to a voice mail.

Me too. But since I don't have internet access at home it often takes me a few days to get back to people and they get very frustrated about that. So I'm thinking of also getting a home phone (landline with voicemail as I'd still let it go to voicemail) and giving out that as my primary number and keeping the cell just for emergencies. Right now I just don't give out a second number - don't have one to give. Drives people nuts but they usually just let it go. I think as time goes on it'll become more common for people to have just one phone number (their cell) - especially if they are retired or unemployed - and other's will get use to the one phone number thing.

janharker
4-6-11, 7:43pm
I have to have a land line for the security system.

RosieTR
4-8-11, 12:01am
I think you should be able to refuse a second phone number. They may require a phone number for some sort of emergency, maybe. Some places "require" it but how are they going to know because chances are they'll either 1) never call it or 2) call but for some stupid survey. Here's a thought: memorize the phone # of the car rental place. When another business forces you to give a phone number, give that one. Done. Also be sure to read any paperwork and uncheck or note that you prefer to be contacted only in case of emergency or urgent situation. They may ignore it (with a stupid survey!) but it may cut down the # of calls. "Please take me off your calling list" helps but of course you'll be out the first $5 or whatever.