PDA

View Full Version : got a car, lost a car

Zoe Girl
6-23-15, 10:26pm
so i got the most amazing hand me down, my dad passed his 2007 honda crv! he even put the handwritten spreadsheet of the oil changes and tire rotations. so i have been a little overwhelmed with it, it is perfect and clean and has 196,000 miles on it. he doesn't even want anything for it, but my plan was to put a payment amount into a saving account for him or my kids' college or future. My subaru has 270,000 miles, i put in about $2k a year in repairs but it is a great car.

So as soon as i got the new car my son got to drive the subaru and get back to work and look forward in life, and it broke down, 12 hours. my heart kinda breaks for him. i didn't expect it to last forever or to not need more work but we were getting there. we got it to the shop and the call came today, the repairs cost as much as what i paid for the car about 7-8 years ago.

just sad and frustrated, and grateful it wasn't my only vehicle. i signed up my son for a free CERT training program and now i am back to figuring out how to get him there. his job choices are back to limited to bus routes. it is just a lot of mixed feelings, happy about having my car and sad for my son and crappy that i need to get hand me down cars.

that is kinda how old cars go huh

Valley
6-23-15, 11:24pm
I'm so sorry Anne...just once, I'd love you to get more than one break at a time.

Zoe Girl
6-24-15, 7:19am
thank you valley, it is definitely making progress in life but really frustrating as well.

Float On
6-24-15, 8:51am
Oh no, sorry about the subaru. Very glad your dad gave you the CRV just in time and that you aren't left scrambling to find a car.

Zoe Girl
6-26-15, 6:54pm
So the repair place will take the car for $375 for parts. i am thinking that is the best deal, drive over and clean it out and deliver the title. the repair cost is $6,100 in comparison. then i can pay all the taxes and registration fees for the CRV and then my son can drive that sometimes (it is still in my dad's name and insurance so he has not been able to drive).

i always feel like i should be able to do better with money and cars, but i think everyone does.