PDA

View Full Version : I ordered reusable produce bags!

SRP
4-1-11, 4:03pm
I'm pretty excited!! I've used cloth shopping bags for decades and have no idea why it took me so long to convert to the produce bags as well. I just ordered them today and can't wait for them to get here. Now I won't have to keep throwing away all those darned plastic produce bags!!! :D

Rosemary
4-1-11, 4:36pm
For this purpose, I use the mesh bags in which citrus fruits are sold. I cut off the paper end that has the UPC/etc, about 1/4 inch away from the seam so that the seam is still strong, and put a twist-tie on the bag so that I have it when I need it.

Mrs-M
4-1-11, 5:35pm
I wasn't aware they even made such a critter! Thanks for starting this thread, I'll be having an eye out for them next time I'm out shopping. By the way- good on you on the purchase!

CathyA
4-1-11, 5:37pm
Sometimes I just keep reusing the plastic bags from the previous trip to the store. I did recently see some light mesh reusable bags in the produce section. I wonder what kind of reception they'll get at the check out?

janharker
4-1-11, 6:59pm
I just put my produce in my regular canvass bags. If I catch the bagger trying to put something in a plastic bag, I make them take it out. I wash my bags regularly.

CathyA
4-1-11, 8:20pm
jan.....you're probably paying a bit more for your produce, since canvas is heavier than plastic or mesh.

Jinger
4-1-11, 8:21pm
SRP, can you give a link to the company of the produce bags, please.

http://iliketomakethings.blogspot.com

SRP
4-4-11, 12:10pm
Rosemary - heck, I never thought of that! What a great idea.

Cathy - I tried that for a while, but I just couldn't keep the darned things clean enough.

Jinger - I got them here: http://www.reuseit.com/

Kat
4-4-11, 12:23pm
Good ideas everyone! I love that website, SRP! :-)

janharker
4-6-11, 7:48pm
Cathy: I put the produce directly on the conveyor belt. Nothing in bags at all at that point. So I'm also not paying per pound for the plastic bag. Once the item gets rung up, then it goes in my regular bag.

Mrs-M
3-9-12, 7:28pm
Don't know whether or not you're still involved with our community, SRP, but this is one of those thread topics where I'd love to hear any updates you might have. Still going strong? Didn't last? Would buy them again? Poor purchase?

HKPassey
3-12-12, 1:42am
I've been using the lightweight mesh produce bags (three for $1.98, I think) I bought at Fred Meyer, and they're fantastic. Just about weightless, and I love the drawstring tops. It's great not having to deal with (throw away) all those plastic bags, and if I'm a bit slow getting things put away I know the produce can breathe. They sell them right next to the produce, handy!

HKPassey
3-12-12, 1:43am
Sometimes I just keep reusing the plastic bags from the previous trip to the store. I did recently see some light mesh reusable bags in the produce section. I wonder what kind of reception they'll get at the check out?

"Hey, those are cool!" is usually what I hear. Especially at the stores that don't sell them.

Mrs-M
3-16-12, 2:00pm
I've been using the lightweight mesh produce bags (three for $1.98, I think) I bought at Fred Meyer, and they're fantastic. Just about weightless, and I love the drawstring tops. It's great not having to deal with (throw away) all those plastic bags, and if I'm a bit slow getting things put away I know the produce can breathe. They sell them right next to the produce, handy!Great to hear! Wish more people were on board with using reusable products. What a welcome day it will be when department stores and supermarkets get with the times, and do away with all things "BAGS", leaving consumers no choice but think outside the box, or in this case, outside the plastic bag.

Zoebird
3-16-12, 6:49pm
I've been using lingerie laundry bags for ours. i was able to find a group of used ones at the thrift shop for $1. just washed them before using them. :)

We've used them for three weeks now. it's going really well. I need to buy a few new grocery bags -- I found some for $1 each at a local shop.

Next is to take glass jars to the store when we get our meats. then that will get rid of plastic waste there.

Mrs-M
3-17-12, 8:53am
The lingerie laundry sacks, turned, produce bags, is totally nifty!

In our area, the cloth grocery bag movement is fast becoming a well-established practice among many shoppers.