PDA

View Full Version : Milestone at the IrisLily household

iris lily
4-3-11, 11:51am
Yesterday DH put up the last piece of woodwork here. I mean, it's actually attached to the wall! What a concept. We've had chair rail laying around for 14 years. He had to specially cut the molding going on top of the last baseboard section to match the pieces installed in 1993. They stopped making it, imagine that!!!!!! It's only been 21 years since we installed the first piece of wood trim.

Yppej
4-3-11, 12:06pm
As they say on Facebook, Like!

Mrs-M
4-3-11, 12:10pm
Congrats Iris! You deserve it. (Why didn't you put your foot down a long time ago)! :laff:

Mrs-M
4-3-11, 12:17pm
Hey Iris, your other thread- "don't do this! you'll be sorry! Install all of your woodwork within 1 decade"! also started in the Housing Forum made me think of my entry to you (posted on that thread). I added a funny smiley for you that I though summed up best the way you have felt about living amongst all of the uncompleted work. (It's you to a t)!

Tradd
4-3-11, 2:22pm
Yay'

pinkytoe
4-3-11, 3:12pm
I know the feeling...I was just saying to dh "what happened to the last decade" since it is as if we stopped all the projects ten years ago only to resume recently. It is a milestone indeed to finish what we start.

rosarugosa
4-3-11, 3:52pm
But think how much more you'll appreciate it after waiting for so long :)

goldensmom
4-3-11, 4:21pm
Congratulations, I'm envious, how'ja'do it? It's been 17 years since we re-did our upstairs and still no woodwork. The order is all ready as it has to be milled to match the 1800's style it replaces. The closest we've gotten so far is me saying-'ya know, we should do the woodwork upstairs this year'.......my husband replying 'yes, we should'. I really don't even notice that it is missing anymore.

Lainey
4-3-11, 8:19pm
I think what I like when these types of ages-old projects get finished is that now it no longer has to take up space in your head. Meaning, not having to think about getting it done, or why isn't it done, or when will it be done, etc. etc. Such a relief for that reason alone!

JaneV2.0
4-3-11, 9:00pm
That calls for celebration--will you be breaking a bottle of Champipple over the bannister? :~)

earthshepherd
4-4-11, 6:43am
Yay! I just had to laugh -- my handy hubby is always in the middle of a new project, and I often sidestep items whose rightful place is on the wall, or in the wall, or under the floor...

leslieann
4-4-11, 7:18am
WooHoo! congratulations! I don't think we'll ever actually FINISH the woodwork but then I didn't think we'd ever actually start building the addition, either....to place the final piece of anything sounds wonderful. I notice that by the time something gets completed, more or less, it is in need of serious refreshing (cleaning, repainting, something). I am gradually losing my belief that things "should" be finished....who says so? But the larger part of me is still stuck in old programming....wanting things DONE. It's all going to be ashes some day anyway but still.....

Sorry for the ramble. Mostly I meant to say, YAY for the IrisLily household!

Mrs-M
2-12-12, 3:03pm
Iris Lily, don't forget about posting a picture or two for us when you can. I can't get all the millwork your husband did out of my mind, especially considering the fact you painted it white!

redfox
2-12-12, 4:01pm
Sweet.

iris lily
2-12-12, 4:34pm
Iris Lily, don't forget about posting a picture or two for us when you can. I can't get all the millwork your husband did out of my mind, especially considering the fact you painted it white!

I'm waiting for completion of some many of the furnishings. Our bookcases are really pretty.

danna
2-12-12, 7:52pm
Oh oh we had one house that didn't get done till we decided to sell and another that got all finished and then we got
an amazing offer and we sold...
Of course if I wanted pictures or the like done I mostly just made a big show of doing it myself and the was enough to
scare him into getting at it..hehe

Tradd
2-12-12, 11:05pm
Yesterday DH put up the last piece of woodwork here. I mean, it's actually attached to the wall! What a concept. We've had chair rail laying around for 14 years. He had to specially cut the molding going on top of the last baseboard section to match the pieces installed in 1993. They stopped making it, imagine that!!!!!! It's only been 21 years since we installed the first piece of wood trim.

Well, just think of it this way: it took your DH less time than for Jefferson to finish Monticello. :)

iris lily
2-13-12, 9:23am
here is a photo I took yesterday, hope you can see it, I've forgotten how to direct load photos into threads here. Notice the ceiling-- you can see a bit of the offending ceiling rosette. Bookshelves are nearly done, the shelves themselves are being painted for the right side unit.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/kprp/livingroom008.jpg

Here is my FAB new pink chair. Note that it being the Irislily household, there are still ladders and handyman equipment in the formal living room. Perhaps some day that stuff will go away. I can only hope...

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/kprp/livingroom011.jpg

surfingbodi
2-13-12, 9:42am
well congratulations as this a a wonderful testimony of diligence and commitment! wow and enjoy :)

puglogic
2-13-12, 10:23am
Love it! (especially with the little Frenchie in the foreground)

Mrs-M
2-13-12, 10:52pm
Oh my goodness, Iris! Between you and Fidgiegirl, I am sooo jealous!!! Absolutely gorgeous! Crown mouldings are my weakness!!!!! Especially rich, thick, heavy ones like you have! And white, too. MMDJ! (Make me double jealous). :)

Iris, if you'd like to learn how to directly load photos into posts, let me know, and I'll be happy to walk you through the process. I'll have you uploading pictures into you SL Album and posting them, likity-split!