PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering pros and cons

Kestra
7-20-15, 3:50pm
Tomorrow I start a new volunteer gig. I'm a little nervous as it's not my usual situation - teenagers, and lots of them. But I want to do something different with my time, that doesn't involve being on a computer, and there are a lot of elements that I am interested in at this place:
- different cultures
- homework stuff
- mentoring/education
- meeting new people and being helpful

So what volunteering has everyone else done? What did you like or dislike about it?

I've done a variety of things. I'll talk about one briefly, then maybe some others later.

Cat Shelter:
Pros:
I'm a vet tech, so I get more respect than the average volunteer, and more challenging tasks - exams, vaccines, etc.
I like cats.
People were nice.

Cons:
I'm a vet tech, so I had to walk the line, being careful not to diagnosis, or step over my knowledge level into vet territory. And I can't just go in and clean some cages and pet some cats. It ends up being like a job, as with more knowledge comes more responsibility.
I often didn't agree with how the lady ran her shelter; too crowded, etc.
Hard to commit to going there week after week.
I don't really like being told what to do.
Not getting paid for stuff I could make real money doing.

Ultralight
7-20-15, 4:05pm
I volunteered at a community garden in Phoenix, AZ. Great experience! I also volunteered at a bicycle co-op here in Columbus. That was a pretty good experience too. I learned to change an inner tube and tire.

When volunteering I basically think that I am exchanging grunt work (that I do) for knowledge that they can give me. Like I pulled a bazillion weeds at the garden so they would show me how to grow veggies and fruits.

Volunteering directly for people... I dunno... I am not that much of a people person. So I commend you!

Kestra
7-20-15, 4:38pm
I volunteered at a community garden in Phoenix, AZ. Great experience! I also volunteered at a bicycle co-op here in Columbus. That was a pretty good experience too. I learned to change an inner tube and tire.

When volunteering I basically think that I am exchanging grunt work (that I do) for knowledge that they can give me. Like I pulled a bazillion weeds at the garden so they would show me how to grow veggies and fruits.

Volunteering directly for people... I dunno... I am not that much of a people person. So I commend you!

Well, we'll see how it goes first. I do find I'm becoming more extroverted over time; my brother has told me the same. I figure I can do anything for a few hours and a few months.

Community gardens are definitely on my radar for future consideration. I'm the antithesis of mechanical, so no bike repairing in my future though.

freshstart
7-20-15, 4:58pm
I haven't had much time to volunteer, single mom, working full-time, so I volunteered at work for special events here and there. It was easy, I didn't have to go out and find a volunteering gig and I already possessed the knowledge to do the work. My plan for the future was loose-y goose-y volunteering wise, I wanted to retire at 62 and volunteer at something. I knew I could be a hospice volunteer, but I realized that after a lifetime of helping humans, I wanted something different. Dog obsessed, figured on shelter work, but horribly allergic to cats, I would work that out as I neared retirement age or when the kids were gone.

I'm a planner, always had the future roughly sketched out. Then it all got turned on its head and the future is unknowable right now. As soon as I am healthy-ish, having lost what I thought would be a life of service that gave me great purpose, I have a feeling I will be looking to fill that loss. Lo and behold there is a hospice movement for unwanted dogs. You volunteer to foster a shelter dog that is dying. Perfect! The dog will not be a permanent addition to a home that is not looking for more dogs and I'm guessing providing comfort and easing suffering of a dog will be rewarding and fits my value system. Not now, but perfect down the road

Ok, I have to plug this. hospice relies on volunteers, yes, some are directly patient related but many, many other types of work are helpful. A few guys build wheelchair ramps, some do light household repairs or install grab bars, many deliver medications (incredibly helpful for the staff, gas is covered, you can chat with the people or just drop it off and leave), some do work for the foundation, help arrange community galas, if you can knit, prayer shawls are always in demand. So much more. It's an easy place to start when you are not quite sure what you want to do, there is something for everyone. And I have seen so many friendships formed between people whom at first glance have zero in common but the orientation classes foster that

iris lilies
7-20-15, 5:55pm
People here have heard me drone on for years about various hobby groups and volunteer interests so I won't be overly specific. I WILL say that for me, and as you've pointed out, staying away from my professional expertise in the volunteer world has been the right thing to do.

I haven't even been attracted to volunteering in a library and I can't see that I ever will be interested in it. My professional expertise is organizing large library collections (3.2 million items in the last job) and I have 0 interest in doing that in the volunteer world for small organizations. Besides, I would have a strong opinion about what they should be doing with their library, and none of them would like to hear my opinion!

my interests are pets and animals, cultivated plants, historic buildings/the built environment. I give my resources, time and money,to those areas. Our historic neighborhood organization has dozens of events and projects that need help, so DH and I have done that for decades. Throw in Bulldog Rescue and working in plant societies as well as our local community garden and you can see where our time goes.

i could really go on and on since volunteer work has been a huge part of our lives, it enriches our lives greatly. but its like a job--there are conflicts and disagreements and all that come with a job as well as great satisfaction in completing work that is interesting. I have long conversations with friends about volunteers in our groups, how to get them how to retain them, what do they REALLY want for recognition, etc. probably there are different motivators.

Simplemind
7-20-15, 7:46pm
I love volunteer work. Much more satisfying than any paid job I have had. I like working up close and personal. I am a volunteer for TIPNW which is a trauma intervention program. My husband and I also work for Meals on Wheels delivering several times a week. I set my own schedule on both and work as much or as little as I/we please. Right now we have the perfect balance. I love my MOW peeps.
We also have a large garden and add to it each year. We take all over flow to the local food bank as well as supplement the meals to our MOW people. Love working in the garden and love giving it away.

Gardenarian
7-22-15, 1:16am
Iris Lilies, how did I not know that you are a librarian?

I agree about not volunteering in my own field (libraries.) I was on the board of our local Friends of the Library and it was not fun.

I have volunteered at the community orchard and gardens, hiking trail maintenance, invasive plant removal, beach clean-ups. Mostly, the things I volunteer for are outdoors and require only a one time commitment. I am joining our Community Emergency Response Team - we'll see how it goes.

Kestra
7-22-15, 10:26am
First day of volunteering went quite well. It was a bit slow, but I got to do fun things that I usually never get to do - help little kids with schoolwork, and play indoor soccer. It was fun. And when it's busier during the school year I'll be more useful there.

pinkytoe
7-22-15, 10:31am
I haven't been a volunteer lately but find it most enjoying to do so with the things I love - native plants, gardening, birding, organizing, etc. The least satisfying was a Christmas gift drive where my dd and I took some designated gifts to a low-income family; they didn't seem the least bit grateful. I am giving serious thought to volunteering with elders when I retire. I sense that they so often get overlooked and the world is hard enough to maneuver at any age.

freshstart
7-22-15, 2:50pm
Kestra, that sounds promising.

pinkytoe, does your state have an ombudsman program for the elderly in nursing homes? It's a wonderful program here, basically you meet with the elderly who feel like their needs are not being heard or met and you advocate for them with the nursing home. You protect their rights and ensure they are being treated with dignity. I have an interest in that down the road.

for years in several different jobs, I was the person who coordinated the Adopt a Family at Christmas. I would get a list from the chosen family of things their children and they would like. i would bust my hump to get the money to cover the things requested for the kids, big stuff, like X Boxes or whatever was the popular electronic thing at the time. Basically begging people to donate more, only to deliver the stuff with another nurse and year in and year out there was barely an acknowledgement of what we brought. Frustrating but I tried to put myself in their shoes, accepting charity and how hard that could be. It was only when I got to hospice and families were well known to us in their home environment that we were able to carefully approach the most needy, usually a family with no money, young kids and a dying parent who was unlikely to make it to Christmas. When it was done totally on their terms, it was accepted and clearly appreciated. We often had the patient's whole hospice team come and threw a little holiday party. Although, I should not expect validation from whatever I am volunteering for, I have to say, adopting a Christmas family this way "felt" much better.

Selah
7-22-15, 10:19pm
I volunteer as a receptionist at a local group home (for lack of a better term) for homeless women and children. I do it three hours a week on a Sunday evening. I really enjoy it...it is not demanding at all, and I'm embarrassed to say that it's the only social contact I've been able to establish (apart from my family) since I got here last November. Seriously, the women and staff thank me for helping out, but it's them who are really helping me.

Chicken lady
7-23-15, 7:00am
I volunteered in my professional area at a place that turned into a job. I wasn't actually looking for a job at the time, but now I have a job I love in a place where I would work for free!

I also discovered a new conservation program not too far from me while at the fair this week. I had to go find them some paper to get on their mailing list because they didn't think about collecting a mailing list at fair! I will definitely be volunteering with them.

I try to help out around the fair, especially with the goats, whenever I can, but my rule is I won't do anything that requires training, job title , or a name tag. I raised three kids. I'm done with jobs that involve a lot of work and somebody is always mad at you.

pinkytoe
7-23-15, 10:15am
does your state have an ombudsman program for the elderly in nursing homes
Apparently, we do. I had never heard of that but having seen the awful care my grandmother and mother received while at nursing homes, it would be a worthy endeavor. Thanks for the tip. I'm reading a book now called Second Wind and the gerontologist who wrote it said that he once went to a nursing home to check on a patient and as he was leaving, she grasped his arm, looked in his eye and said "I'm so lonely." That really touched me and I see it over and over how our culture mistreats older people. I am drawn to help.

iris lilies
7-23-15, 1:34pm
Pinky, that is so great that elderly folks interest you. My mom was like that, she was attracted to seniors.

re: grateful families and gifting: my mom nailed that one for me 50 years ago. Our Girl Scout troop gathered gently used items for a poor family and delivered them to their home. But the family was not there. The door was open so we went in and dropped the stuff. The scout leaders were disappointed that all of us couldn't "see" the results of our generosity, that there were no grateful expressions and show of appreciation. But my mom said that of course they wouldn't want to be there when a whole group of do-goodsers showed up to shower them with used items, think about how you would feel in that situation.

profnot
7-23-15, 5:23pm
I've done decades of various volunteer work at the local, state, and national level. Got lots done and had fun.

My day jobs involved management so I never volunteered for any treasurer or bookkeeping position since I hated that part of my day job. (Didn't mind the work - hated being under appreciated for maxing profits and minimizing taxes/expenses.)

I don't mind meetings if people are cooperative. But if the group has meetings with bickering and pettiness, I'm out. If I believe in the cause/project, I'll offer to do something as long as don't have to attend meetings with more than 3 people. An example: a large local group with a great clause needed a website. I'm low tech but I know enough. And I saw it needed to be done right away. So I told the leadership I would do it if they would appoint one or two bd members for me to work with. So I built and edited the site. Since I'm low tech, it took time, but got 'er done.

I have a hobby wherein I make fancy hard-sided evening purses. When I retire, I plan to make them and donate for local Symphony, Ballet, museum fundraisers / auctions. A fun way to volunteer!

mayspirit
8-14-15, 11:38am
I volunteered during some election campaigns in US, Canada and Ukraine. It was fun. But volunteering during Euro football cup was one of the greatest moments in 2012. Every year I volunteer during TEDxKyiv Conference in Ukraine and now help others to organize event properly.
I've learned a lot, got to know many new people. If I have time, I try to volunteer during some interesting events.

iris lilies
8-14-15, 11:52am
I've done decades of various volunteer work at the local, state, and national level. Got lots done and had fun.

My day jobs involved management so I never volunteered for any treasurer or bookkeeping position since I hated that part of my day job. (Didn't mind the work - hated being under appreciated for maxing profits and minimizing taxes/expenses.)

I don't mind meetings if people are cooperative. But if the group has meetings with bickering and pettiness, I'm out. If I believe in the cause/project, I'll offer to do something as long as don't have to attend meetings with more than 3 people. An example: a large local group with a great clause needed a website. I'm low tech but I know enough. And I saw it needed to be done right away. So I told the leadership I would do it if they would appoint one or two bd members for me to work with. So I built and edited the site. Since I'm low tech, it took time, but got 'er done.

I have a hobby wherein I make fancy hard-sided evening purses. When I retire, I plan to make them and donate for local Symphony, Ballet, museum fundraisers / auctions. A fun way to volunteer!
spoken like an effective volunteer! I can tell by your post that you are valuable to your groups.

iris lilies
8-14-15, 12:04pm
In volunteering, I have to watch carefully that I don't become That Martyr Person who can be found in every group, or That Bitchy person. I was overly cranky about running the Lily show in June. I stepped in to chair it after the original chair flaked out. I am adamant that we simply cannot maintain the same level of stuff, two truckloads, that we have set up in the past. We used to have a dozen retired people set up the show and they worked 4 -5 hours. We no longer have that amount of labor and we need to SIMPLIFY. So, I tossed out crap and said No to stuff and suggested to others that they step up to do a thing if they wanted the thing done.

and now there is talk about our tiny lily society hosting the Nationals in two years. Egad. But I am a little excited about it.

freshstart
8-14-15, 3:17pm
Every year I volunteer during TEDxKyiv Conference in Ukraine and now help others to organize event properly.
I've learned a lot, got to know many new people. If I have time, I try to volunteer during some interesting events.

this is very cool!

thunderseed
8-15-15, 3:57am
I've done tons of volunteer work... because I've always been unemployed doing nothing but volunteer work and I hope it can remain that way. I am not sure how my life situation is going to pan out but if my dreams come true, I will eventually own a non profit wilderness camp/resort. I never want to work for money, and all I want to do is help people.

I currently volunteer at St. Johns Ambulance Brigade as an Medical first responder, I have to dress up in a formal uniform and offer first aid at all the community events. We meet every thursday to go over first aid and then on other days whenever we are needed we set up the ambulance and post at events. Most of the time it's minor injuries we have to deal with but sometimes there are more serious things. We get first aid training and certificates for free. A lot of people join just to get experience on the feild so that they can become paramedics, or better at their jobs if they have to be around a lot of injuries.
I originally got into it because I wanted to prepare for earth disasters, and for awhile I was thinking of becoming a paramedic, but I changed my mind after a bunch of paramedics told me some horror stories, I just don't think I'd want that kind of stress and trauma.

Anyway, I'm just now starting to think about changing volunteer work. There are a few cons that I don't like, for example I'm not so sure I want to be around traumatic and stressful emergencies anymore, and most of the volunteer work is really just boring because we have to sit around for long day long shifts with sometimes no injuries at all, which I guess is a good thing, but for us it gets boring just sitting there doing nothing the whole time. And after years of being part of the brigade, I sometimes feel underappreciated, I put in so many hours yet I've never been given any rewards or medals or thanks of any kind, while newcomers that just come in get recognition and rewards. And normally, this wouldn't bother me because I don't do volunteer work for recognition, but it sucks when it feels like my bosses don't appreciate everything I'm doing to help out, normally I do it to help people, but the thing is I'm starting to wonder if maybe I can't help people in a better and more fulfilling way. I can't pretend I'm not bummed out about feeling underappreciated though. I absolutely love my bosses, I'm not too fond of the other newbie volunteers because I think they party too much, but I think the only thing I'll really miss about volunteering at the brigade is my bosses and the respect I got from my parent's and strangers because I wore a uniform. My parent's were really proud about that and I think since I'm unemployed, it's the only thing they've ever been proud about. They never cared when I wrote books or produced art that could make me famous, but they liked seeing me in a respectable uniform.

But anyway, I've been looking into volunteering with Scouts because I think it would be a great fit for me. It would be nice to have a change. Maybe I won't stop volunteering at the brigade all together either, but I still would like to try something new and do something more purposeful and meaningful. I just don't feel like putting bandaids on kids knees at community events is really making the best use of my time.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be happening, I keep trying to set up an interview with them but it keeps getting put off.

mayspirit
8-17-15, 9:54am
Thanks =)