PDA

View Full Version : washing machines now are mostly junk

pinkytoe
8-7-15, 12:02pm
Less than two years ago, we purchased a basic Whirlpool top loader. Recently, its cycles became erratic and it wouldn't drain all they. Our trusty neighborhood repair guy came out and tested everything and told us it is a shot control board which will cost $150 to replace. He said most machines are now made by Whirlpool and have the same control board regardless of make or model and that he has been replacing them left and right. And they are only guaranteed for one year. I asked what we could buy that might work for a few years at least and he shook his head. Really frustrating that corporations like this have us by the short hair. I wish the old mechanical ones that worked for 20 years were still made. Speed Queen he said still makes them but parts are hard to come by. Now what to do?

iris lilies
8-7-15, 12:08pm
Less than two years ago, we purchased a basic Whirlpool top loader. Recently, its cycles became erratic and it wouldn't drain all they. Our trusty neighborhood repair guy came out and tested everything and told us it is a shot control board which will cost $150 to replace. He said most machines are now made by Whirlpool and have the same control board regardless of make or model and that he has been replacing them left and right. And they are only guaranteed for one year. I asked what we could buy that might work for a few years at least and he shook his head. Really frustrating that corporations like this have us by the short hair. I wish the old mechanical ones that worked for 20 years were still made. Speed Queen he said still makes them but parts are hard to come by. Now what to do?

My friend bought a Speed Queen within the past 18 months after spending much time looking at the cheap crap out there. She managed to get one that was made just before all of the stupid safety and water savings regs went into effect. After my discussion with her I really wanted to rush out and buy a Speed Queen and keep it in our basement as a backup for when our machine goes belly up.

Float On
8-7-15, 12:24pm
I may seriously go the bathtub/plunger method with occasional visit to laundry mat if my now 2 year old washer/dryer break down this year. The 5th dishwasher just went belly-up after 2 years. I'm done.

jp1
8-7-15, 1:21pm
The control board in our Frigidaire front loader went out when it was about 2 years old. Thankfully our landlord owns it so we didn't have to pay for the new one. But yes, I contrast this to the maytag machine my mom bought when I was maybe 4 years old. twenty years later when they retired and moved it was still working perfectly and had never needed a repair. Ever.

razz
8-7-15, 2:11pm
Maytag is just like the others now so no hope there either. DD2 found this out recently and was advised to go basic LG by their serviceman.

A friend had a premium washer for barely 5 years and it broke down requiring a new one so you are right, pinky toe. Buy cheaper and replace as the laundromat models quit as well. I bought a basic Frigidaire washer last fall which may still be made by a different manufacturer and in the US, I believe, so parts may be easier to obtain.

CathyA
8-7-15, 4:00pm
That's such a bummer. I've had the same Maytag washer and dryer since around 1979. In the past when the washer broke, one repairman told me it was toast..........then I found out he didn't know what he was talking about, and his boss got the part. I really dread the day when it dies permanently. Anyone have a really expensive one that they're happy with?

lessisbest
8-7-15, 4:29pm
I have a Fisher & Paykel GWL 10 Ecosmart purchased in 2001. At the time, it was "America's Most Energy Efficient Washer". The only thing we've had done to it was to have the hoses replaced, twice, and the pump replaced (we have hard water issues). This machine is more reliable because it has fewer moving parts -- no belts, pulleys, gears, transmission or clutches. With the help of the store salesman, I was able to pull the machine apart myself, so it's a good machine for people who are inclined to repair things themselves. The repairman has the exact same machine, and he said as long as there are parts available, it's one of the best running and easiest to repair machines he works on. I use Charlie's Soap and white vinegar in the rinse, so no horrible nasty sludge build-up in the drum from using softeners. I would get an old-fashioned wringer washer before I would buy one of the new front-loading machines. If you need help for DIYers, check with "dadoes" - at the Garden Web Laundry Forum - http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laundry

sweetana3
8-7-15, 5:03pm
I on the other hand love my front loader. No issues at all and uses very little water, runs quietly and I have had it for years. No smell because when it was built they included a little magnet that keeps the door "almost" closed allowing ventilation.

awakenedsoul
8-7-15, 5:42pm
I bought a used Kenmore washer and dryer in 1998. I think I paid $100.00 for the set. They are both still going strong. I have another used Kenmore washer in my shed, as a back up. They don't make 'em like they used to...I've had to do a few repairs, nothing major. The last repair guy was young, and recommended I get a new washing machine. I'm so glad I didn't, mine is still going strong. I think when he was here I replaced the timer.

There's some kind of washing machine on the Lehman's website that looked very well made. I wish I could remember the name of it. It was popular with people who like simple living. If I find it I'll post again.

SteveinMN
8-7-15, 6:38pm
Appliances in general aren't as good as they once were. Part of it is that design, spare parts, etc., are now dictated by quarterly results, not anything that resembles pride in a product well made and a name well kept. Part of it is that appliances are far more efficient than they used to be (that 1979 Maytag swallows more than 40 gallons of water for every load); today appliances get by with smaller motors, thinner drums, etc.

There still are quality brands out there, though only Speed Queen is American. Miele (German) and ASKO (Swedish) sell washers and dryers which will last at least 20 years, but their distribution networks don't extend far beyond good-sized metro areas and most Americans blanch at the idea that a washing machine price starts at around $2,000 -- and that's for a model that is not heavy on capacity or bells & whistles. In fact, the Speed Queen mentioned in this thread goes for around $1,000 on sale and now comes with one of those &^#% electronic control boards.

I'm not sure how it works for us, but we have the famed cheap-o Frigidaire front-loader washer and dryer, only a model or two up from a washboard and a rock. Knobs and all. But while most of them have gone on to the great reward by now, ours are 12 years old and still kicking. But, then, the dishwasher is that old and doing fine. The refrigerator is almost 10 and the stove a bit newer than that. We just seem to have good luck with appliances.

Oh, that model on the Lehman's site: it's a wringer washer (http://non-electric.lehmans.com/search#?p=Q&lbc=lehmans&uid=861846623&ts=ajax&w=washing%20machine&af=&method=and&view=grid&isort=price+rev). I'm not sure how many people want to go back to those good ol' days.

JaneV2.0
8-7-15, 6:54pm
My washer and dryer are nearing thirty. We replaced some small part years ago, and finally got around to cleaning out the lint trap. :0! I think when the time comes to buy a new one, I'll go to a used appliance dealer and look for a similar top-loader. I haven't the slightest desire for one of the newer models.

iris lilies
8-7-15, 7:06pm
I can't remember how old our ken,ore washing machine, is. At least ten years old, not super old. DH has fixed it twice. Once, a small fix using a 25 cent part. The recent fix was major, he had to tear out the drum and do something to it.

I am so glad that he has the skill and time to do it. If we weren't retired, I would have been tempted to go out and buy a new one, but ever mindful of the loathsome quality out there now, probably even then I would have wanted him to salvage our current machine.

awakenedsoul
8-7-15, 10:55pm
Steve, Oh, I didn't realize it was a wringer washer...oops.

Yeah, the old Kenmores are classic. My mom had hers for over thirty years. I'm hoping mine will last as long. I may buy a Miele someday.

thinkgreen
8-8-15, 1:01am
I have a Maytag set from 1985. I have done some repairs over the years but they are still working. I think I will continue to fix rather than replace them.

Actually I think the washer only needed one repair and that was after some water froze in it and cracked a part. It may have a malfunction now as water does run into the drum while it is spinning before the rinse. However, the clothes are still getting clean and I am told that some washers do that to help rinse the soap out.

kib
8-8-15, 1:02am
lol. I inherited the washer with this house two years ago and have been laughing at it ever since. Not with great good cheer, just the occasional snort. It's very special and high end, believe us, you can tell because it says H2Low on the front. It "senses" for ten minutes, it ronks, it wonks, it refuses to let me dilute bleach or soak clothes. If I put in rain catch water it sounds an alarm, immediately drains and starts over; none of that natural s**t for us. It makes completely alien noises. Half the settings don't seem to make any sense at all. There is something called Super Wash which results in ... nothing at all. Maybe it's got some sort of clothes washing super power I don't know about that can effect clean clothes without using any water or making a sound. It locks and refuses to let me add clothes for three minutes while it clucks sullenly and muses over whether to allow this. At one point in the spin cycle it used to sound almost exactly like the van in Little Miss Sunshine, the handyman and I once got to laughing so hard at it I almost wet my pants. The instruction manual for it that came with the house is ... for a different washing machine entirely. Reminds me of customer service at my new bank, totally useless and apparently assembled of idiots, the occasional good result appears to be more of a happy accident than a plan.

.. In contrast, the little Maytag I bought 16 years ago when I moved to Bisbee is still going strong, does everything I ask the second I ask it without question or complaint or any noise other than slosh and spin, and, imagine, still manages to get the clothes beautifully clean. In half the time of the Ronk-O-Matic.

lessisbest
8-8-15, 6:47am
I remember my mother and her wringer washer in the mid-1950's (I was born in 1952). We rented a home that didn't have the convenience of a hot water tank (nor an indoor bathroom), and all water was heated in a large stock pot, kettle, and/or numerous other pots/pans on the stove. She would set a galvanized steel wash tub filled with water out in the sun to warm it for doing laundry. We had a lot fewer clothes back then, and we wore them more than one day. I also remember her boiling cloth diapers of the newest member of the family to sanitize them before washing them. We also took our weekly bath in a galvanized wash tub - adding more hot water for each consecutive person taking a bath. AH, the good old days.....

You may find the information at this link interesting when it comes to saving energy and water using a wringer washer. I also have a Wonder Wash mentioned in the article. http://blog.simplelivingmadison.com/?p=825

iris lilies
8-8-15, 11:19am
lol. I inherited the washer with this house two years ago and have been laughing at it ever since. Not with great good cheer, just the occasional snort. It's very special and high end, believe us, you can tell because it says H2Low on the front. It "senses" for ten minutes, it ronks, it wonks, it refuses to let me dilute bleach or soak clothes. If I put in rain catch water it sounds an alarm, immediately drains and starts over; none of that natural s**t for us. It makes completely alien noises. Half the settings don't seem to make any sense at all. There is something called Super Wash which results in ... nothing at all. Maybe it's got some sort of clothes washing super power I don't know about that can effect clean clothes without using any water or making a sound. It locks and refuses to let me add clothes for three minutes while it clucks sullenly and muses over whether to allow this. At one point in the spin cycle it used to sound almost exactly like the van in Little Miss Sunshine, the handyman and I once got to laughing so hard at it I almost wet my pants. The instruction manual for it that came with the house is ... for a different washing machine entirely. Reminds me of customer service at my new bank, totally useless and apparently assembled of idiots, the occasional good result appears to be more of a happy accident than a plan.

.. In contrast, the little Maytag I bought 16 years ago when I moved to Bisbee is still going strong, does everything I ask the second I ask it without question or complaint or any noise other than slosh and spin, and, imagine, still manages to get the clothes beautifully clean. In half the time of the Ronk-O-Matic.

lol lol lol!!! So damned funny/not funny, but it makes me cry to think that this is what I have to look forward to.

pinkytoe
8-8-15, 11:56am
It makes completely alien noises.
This made me laugh as ours sounds like a 1950s sci fi movie spaceship taking off when it goes into the spin cycle.

ToomuchStuff
8-8-15, 12:04pm
When I bought my home, I inherited the washer and dryer that was there. Not sure how old they were, but they were the ones I remember from at least 6 years old. The dryer died first and the washer started having some issues so I replaced it. Then life got in the way (the start of other peoples health issues), so when time was short, I started using a local laundromat on the way to work. Now, if I have enough loads, I just find that more convenient (typically three loads all done in under an hour, for the change I built up the prior weeks).
But all this talk about the wringer ones, makes me laugh as when the 100+ (missed 101 by two weeks), neighbor passed, I was offered her old electric, wringer washer from somewhere between 1930 and 1940. I figured between the weight (back, getting it out and down into the basement), and probably having to replace wiring (think it still has some cloth covered wiring), I was better off without it.
Still have the hand tub on wheels that might have been my great grandparents (grandparents and I still do on occasion, use it for presoaking).

creaker
8-8-15, 4:30pm
I have a Kenmore washer bought in 1996, replaced a stripped agitator, but otherwise it's still going.

SteveinMN
8-9-15, 10:14am
I think when the time comes to buy a new one, I'll go to a used appliance dealer and look for a similar top-loader. I haven't the slightest desire for one of the newer models.
When the washer and dryer that came with my mom's place bit the dust, we went to a nearby appliance dealer and bought reconditioned appliances very similar to the now-dead ones. At 80-something, my mom has no desire to figure out how to use a front-loader or even a radically-different top-loader. And I figured if their techs had worked on the machines and were offering a warranty, they had culled the ones which would become money pits anytime soon. Both machines have worked for years now; my mom is happy and, as her landlord, I'm happy (though I still want to move the laundry upstairs someday as there is no other reason to go to the cellar but for storage).

Though I'm no advocate for storing stuff "just in case", though, those 1970/1980-era machines are going to the great scrap heap in the sky and the quarter-century old machine will be the 1990-ish model that isn't built as well. Might want to lay in the replacements (and some critical parts like belts) now.

pinkytoe
8-9-15, 10:35am
We went to a nearby appliance dealer and bought reconditioned appliances
That is our plan as of now. I figure the $150 we would pay to repair it has only a one year guarantee so I'd rather spend it on another older used one. We could also easily enough fix the one we have ourselves for $99 (thanks you tube) but hate this one enough not to bother. It still limps along but won't spin or drain so I spent yesterday wringing clothes by hand and hanging on a rope strung between trees in the backyard. I figure they are still too wet to put in the dryer and I surely don't want to have that go out too. All this makes me appreciate my 1989 gas range that still works like a brand new one.

SteveinMN
8-9-15, 10:42am
All this makes me appreciate my 1989 gas range that still works like a brand new one.
Gas ranges are perhaps the simplest and longest-lasting appliances people buy. Hardly anyone looks to buy a mid-century dishwasher or washer except as a conversation piece. But they'll buy 60-year-old O'Keefe and Merritts with confidence.

lessisbest
8-10-15, 7:16am
That is our plan as of now. I figure the $150 we would pay to repair it has only a one year guarantee so I'd rather spend it on another older used one. We could also easily enough fix the one we have ourselves for $99 (thanks you tube) but hate this one enough not to bother. It still limps along but won't spin or drain so I spent yesterday wringing clothes by hand and hanging on a rope strung between trees in the backyard. I figure they are still too wet to put in the dryer and I surely don't want to have that go out too. All this makes me appreciate my 1989 gas range that still works like a brand new one.

Wringing clothes out by hand is a horrible task.....been-there-done-that!!!!! We have an old janitor's mop bucket with a hand-powered wringer on it that we can use. Even a new-style mop bucket that presses the mop would be easier to use than hand-wringing - plus it catches the water. You can still purchase wringers at some car parts stores. They are used for wringing out rags/chamois/towels when detailing cars. Just avoid running large buttons and zippers through a wringer. Do the pants legs, not the body with the zipper. You can snap off large buttons and break zippers in a wringer.

Tenngal
8-25-15, 11:19am
agreed they are junk now and the biggest surprise to me after having to buy one about 2 yrs ago, is that they don't agitate the same way.
They barely move the clothes around, making all sorts of strange sounds through the cycle which takes forever. Next time I am looking for an old used one.

pinkytoe
8-25-15, 12:13pm
End of this story - called the appliance guy back to replace the control board. He decided it was really some other part (activator) after looking at it again and replaced that for $85 and no trip charge. It seems to be working fine once again. Hoping it holds up for another year as that is what the part is guaranteed for.

iris lilies
8-25-15, 12:22pm
Or I've been thinking about scouting out a used washing machine to store as a backup For when out goes out. It would have these specs:

Kenmore make of 10+ years ago

owned by a little old lady who washed only her little lady clothes and bed sheets once a week

i would pay good money for that...

SteveinMN
8-25-15, 1:51pm
Or I've been thinking about scouting out a used washing machine to store as a backup For when out goes out. It would have these specs:

Kenmore make of 10+ years ago
You can look for a Whirlpool, too, since they made them for Sears. In that era they also sold under the KitchenAid, Estate, Roper, and Kirkland (Costco) brands (for washers/dryers, anyway).

ctg492
8-25-15, 6:24pm
Oh Goodness My second washer in 6 years ended it life today. First one at this home was an HE not remembering the type but it quit after the year warranty and the repair man said is was a lemon. 2nd now just under 5 years old, This was an HE top loading Kenmore. I bought the three year warranty and service cleaning. I have barely used it in two years being gone most the time. Today the repair guy said it was not worth fixing. He blamed perhaps partly the HE detergents that say HE, Compatible with all types. But basically he said washers have a 10 year life expectancy.

Speed Queen was his recommendation, never services them he says, great warranty. I called around and every place is sold out that is close to me. Mid September is the earliest.

UMM what to do??? Buy another of the many brands all made by the same companies and just know it will pass sooner then laster or wait for a Speed Queen???

ctg492
8-25-15, 6:26pm
Oh and I have had it with the HE machines. No agitations, Not enough water to clean imo. I would toss sheets in and the top of the pile would be dry and I would have to run again, now that is not saving water.

Radicchio
8-25-15, 10:58pm
Not exactly on point, but this thread reminded me of when our family got our first washing machine. (I was a young child at the time.) My mom won the washing machine when the Folger Coffee man came to our home and said she would win a washing machine if she could name the star of a popular TV show at the time and also had an opened can of Folgers in the house. Maybe that's why my folks continue to buy and drink Folgers all these years later?

Tradd
8-25-15, 11:08pm
The owners of the condo I rent bought a Whirlpool washer (top loading) and dryer set about six years ago. I think they bought the. At Home Depot. Nothing fancy, no electronic controls, just knobs. They're still going strong, although I do,laundry for just me and I'm not particularly hard on them.

Tradd
8-25-15, 11:14pm
Gas ranges are perhaps the simplest and longest-lasting appliances people buy. Hardly anyone looks to buy a mid-century dishwasher or washer except as a conversation piece. But they'll buy 60-year-old O'Keefe and Merritts with confidence.

Two apartments ago, I rented a basement apartment in a Chicago house built around World War I. The narrow little has stove in my kitchen was ca. 1930. It still had a pilot light. You had to manually light the stove after turning on the gas. I loved it.

Williamsmith
8-26-15, 5:34am
I recently moved and included with the place was a relatively new washer and dryer that has more settings than the lunar lander. It even plays a catchy little tune when it finishes spinning or drying. The top is glass so you can see into the shiny stainless drum and watch the wash if you want. The dryer tells you to clean the lint tray out when it gets full. It hasn't packed me a lunch or made me a cup of coffee yet though.

simplelife4me
8-26-15, 6:00am
Makes me sad I got rid of my maytag washer/dryer from 1992. Never had one problem with them but I sold them when I moved.

SteveinMN
8-26-15, 10:20am
Buy another of the many brands all made by the same companies and just know it will pass sooner then laster or wait for a Speed Queen???

If the price of the Speed Queen hasn't scared you away (they are not cheap), then I'd consider hitting the laundromat for a few weeks until you can get it. I actually kind of liked going to the laundromat: all the clothes washed at one time, all the clothes dried at one time, and I was done with laundry. Might be a better interim decision than buying somethinganything.

Oh and I have had it with the HE machines. No agitations, Not enough water to clean imo. I would toss sheets in and the top of the pile would be dry and I would have to run again, now that is not saving water.
In fairness, there's nothing wrong with well-designed HE washers. Unfortunately, almost none of the well-designed ones are top-loaders. Top-loader HEs are the Ritz-cracker pies of the world -- they're not apple pies and the miracle is that they come at all close. Physics requires that they use more water per wash than front-loaders of the same capacity. And the only way to get an HE/Energy Star rating out of that much water is to dumb down the water temperatures to the point where "hot" really is more like the old "warm". Agreed that you're not saving water if you have to wash twice. But a front-loader HE washer is a very different beast and likely more to your liking.

ctg492
9-8-15, 6:32pm
I ended up buying a Speed Queen, total out the door delivered and set up $741.99. Back ordered and perhaps will be in next week I was told today. I am hoping for many good years out of this.

Now I have been hand washing and Laundromat washing for a few weeks now :( I have a Breathing Washer Plunger and have been using the utility sink, clothes line for drip then into the drier. This is the longest I have ever been without a washer and I learned I must plan when and what to wash. The people who used to wash everything by hand, had life a good deal more difficult then today I can say.