PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Medicaid parent who died

CathyA
1-2-11, 3:38pm
My mother died a short while ago and I'm wondering if I need to contact Medicaid or her insurance company, or does the nursing home do that? Is there any need for us to keep alot of her old papers? She hasn't had to pay taxes for years. I don't want to throw things out, if the government will be asking for them. But I can't imagine that happening, since she has absolutely no assets.
Any good advice?
Thanks.

libby
1-2-11, 4:04pm
No advice just (((hugs))) I am sorry you lost your mom.

iris lily
1-2-11, 4:30pm
Wish I could help you. Sorry.

My brother is taking care of all of that for my mother. But I'll bet that the nursing home has to notify medicare since they are the recipient of the payments.

Kathy WI
1-2-11, 5:13pm
My husband's dad died this past summer and the funeral home took care of a lot of that stuff. A woman from the funeral home got a whole bunch of copies of the death certificate for my husband's mom to send to insurance companies and whoever else would need it. I think since the coronor issues the death certificate, and the coronor is a government official, that all government agencies including Medicaid and the IRS would have that information. You could call the coronor's office and ask if anything else has to be done, they could probably tell you.

Glo
1-2-11, 6:36pm
My sympathy for your loss.

earthshepherd
1-2-11, 7:36pm
(((hugs)))) from me too.

razz
1-2-11, 8:06pm
My sympathy for your loss. Assume nothing!! Ask the coroner who has been contacted and who else should be notified. They will have a list of who.

I would check out and keep copies of everything for at least 7 years same as you do tax issues. A friend was the executor of her aunt's estate with very little in assets. She has been contacted by the taxation department a year later after she thought that everything was long past over. They can take that long and longer to do an indepth review of the file.

early morning
1-2-11, 8:28pm
So sorry for you loss. No advice, but ((( ))).

grendel
1-2-11, 8:33pm
My condolences, CathyA. My mother passed away earlier this year, and I was the one handling these kinds of details, but she wasn't a Medicaid recipient. I did a quick Google search, and I didn't find any federal requirements. I did find that at least a couple of states -- Texas and Alabama -- do require a death be reported at the state level. You might want to check your state's Medicaid website just to be sure. Also, when I notified Social Security about my mother's death, they were very helpful in telling me who else should be notified. They notified Medicare for me, but told me I needed to notify DOD myself, for example.

CathyA
1-3-11, 11:20am
Thanks everyone.
I haven't heard back yet from the lady from the nursing home who knows lots of these things. Mom's auto-deposit for her social security wasn't posted, so I think they already know, but I'll give them a call.
Thanks so much for your condolences and advice.

gmpg54
2-2-13, 12:28am
When my husband passed away the funeral director notified social security,medicare and any other agencies that were providing services. condolences to you

catherine
2-2-13, 7:34am
Thanks everyone.
I haven't heard back yet from the lady from the nursing home who knows lots of these things. Mom's auto-deposit for her social security wasn't posted, so I think they already know, but I'll give them a call.
Thanks so much for your condolences and advice.

Yes, I think the Social Security Administration has that pretty much handled through the funeral homes, as KathyWI pointed out. We got death certificates from the funeral home as well. MIL's SS payments stopped immediately the month she died.

bUU
2-2-13, 8:29am
I'm sorry for your loss.

Some of this the funeral home did for me, some of it they left to me. And timeliness was an issue. Medicare specifically put a lien on the estate years later, though I'm still trying to figure out what-for. (They got paid from a settlement from a lawsuit the estate received, and the lawyer handled all the details.)

ToomuchStuff
2-2-13, 3:48pm
Hopefully, everything has been sorted out, in the two years since this thread was started.

CathyA
2-2-13, 4:39pm
Yes, it has. Thanks.