PDA

View Full Version : Squash bugs

SRP
4-4-11, 12:25pm
Does anybody have any advice about how to control these monsters? I live in the South, and they really love our long, hot summers. In fact, I saw the first one of the season this weekend, climbing up my bedroom window.

I had a garden several years ago, and these devils just about drove me over the edge. I tried very hard to keep it organic, and so spent uncounted hours smashing them by hand and then freaking out when I discovered babies hiding under all the lower leaves. None of the organic pesticides are strong enough for these guys. Honestly, I'm wondering if the only thing that can kill them is dousing them in gasoline and then setting them on fire.

I am going to put in a garden this year, for the first time in a while. But the memory of squash bugs already has me doubting the wisdom of this....

Gina
4-6-11, 12:22am
I have no knowledge about squash bugs, but just did a quick search for 'organic squash bug control' and there seemed to be a number of possible sites with solutions you might want to look at. Or perhaps ask at a place like garden web?

Nothing worse than noxious pests in the garden. Mine tend to be 4-legged, furry ones. Good luck to you.

Rosemary
4-6-11, 8:07am
I recall reading that there are 2 families of winter squash - one of which the squash bugs do not target. So planting those varieties could at least save your winter squash harvest.
My grandfather controlled pests in the garden by picking them off the plants and dropping them into a can of gasoline. The old metal coffee can always sat in the garage, full of insects!

fidgiegirl
4-7-11, 9:55pm
I read in a magazine once that interplanting onions is a repellent. We don't have that much experience, but we did this last year and, knock on wood, had no insect pests bothering our squash. Maybe it's not even something we have in Minnesota? Well, anyway, can't hurt and then you'd get some onions out of it.