PDA

View Full Version : Abuela's kitchen

Tiam
8-13-15, 4:25am
I made a mistake of originally posting this thread along with the Clara Depression Cooking thread, where it got lost or misconstrued.

I thought this little 79 year old Mexican Grandma reminded me of simple of living and cooking the way Clara and her great depression cooking made me think of simple, frugal living.

Based on that I saw similarities. But, perhaps I made a mistake making it a footnote. Perhaps her own thread is better. What I like about My Abuela's Kitchen, is the 79 year old grandma who only speaks Spanish is showing a way to make simple foods from real foods. Real meats, breads, grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables in a Mexican style but much more diverse than what Clara was doing. I found it fascinating, it's different to b sure. Some techniques, folks may want to change due to taste. Perhaps not wanting to use Lard and use oil instead. Regardless, what I found worthy of even mentioning was that she is using just real, simple, unprocessed foods, that could be called frugal or peasant. How to make beans, lentils, stews, cheap cuts of meat, fruits, vegetables, rice, seeds, nuts, breads. Much more diverse in terms of nutrition but amazing in it's simplicity. I found it fascinating and wanted to share. A lot of it is translated Spanish, but the food seems, simple, frugal, and doable with delicious results. So I posted it for kicks. And to show some very frugal, simple, delicious recipes and cooking for another generation and time. I love watching her cook with simple, whole ingredients, often grown from her garden. This is one is just for simple rice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r0LBGzxUFc

JaneV2.0
8-13-15, 9:15am
Lard is a wonderful, shelf-stable fat. It's too bad it got caught in the false dogma of the seventies.

My SO would like this; he still raves about his mother's cooking, and treasures her recipes. Nobody made capirotada like she did.

awakenedsoul
8-13-15, 11:56am
She's really cute. Thanks for posting this, Tiam. I love this kind of cooking. Mexican rice is so delicious as a side dish.

Tiam
8-13-15, 12:37pm
Lard is a wonderful, shelf-stable fat. It's too bad it got caught in the false dogma of the seventies.

My SO would like this; he still raves about his mother's cooking, and treasures her recipes. Nobody made capirotada like she did.

I love lard. I don't cook with it in every dish like she does, but it has an honoured place in my kitchen. The ype about Lard is so over the top.

Tiam
8-13-15, 12:39pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNtJcORRe1Y

Geila
8-13-15, 1:43pm
Thank you for posting this! This is my favorite type of cooking. :)