PDA

View Full Version : Least favourite cooking chore.

Mrs-M
4-4-11, 3:58pm
I was just preparing supper for tonight and chopping onions, sweet onions at that, but whew! Looks like I've been crying for an hour!

My least favourite cooking chore, cutting/chopping onions! How about you, what's yours?

bae
4-4-11, 4:03pm
Dishes!

mattj
4-4-11, 4:07pm
Boil overs

treehugger
4-4-11, 4:19pm
Ditto on the dishes. It's way more fun to make the mess than to clean it up. :)

Kara

mattj
4-4-11, 4:22pm
You know, I LOVE to do dishes because the kitchen looks so nice and clean afterwards. I get a huge sense of satisfaction out of that. I HATE unloading the dishwasher. It's so unsatisfying.

Kestrel
4-4-11, 4:23pm
Everything. I don't "like" to cook. I do it, of course, and am very good with some parts of it, but in general, I'd rather not ...
I do "enjoy" washing dishes, however, if I don't have to do them after dinner but rather first thing the next morning. It can be a rather meditative time.

Float On
4-4-11, 4:30pm
Having something tried and true turn into a horrible flop - just totally knocks down my cooking confidence......that and dishes.
Currently my dishwasher is broken so everything has to be handwashed and I find myself making way too many simple meals because my first thought is 'do you know how many pans I'll have to wash if I make that?' That makes me feel like a horrible cook - and I'm not.

jennipurrr
4-4-11, 5:01pm
Dishes, ugh...I seriously look at folks crosseyed who enjoy washing/drying dishes by hand. One day I will have a dishwasher!

I also hate chopping large amounts of stuff. If I can get through it pretty quickly its just all part of the cooking fun, but if it is a lot it gets so tedious.

mattj
4-4-11, 5:05pm
shredding beef or pork used to bug me until I just let it cook another hour or three - then it just falls apart.

herbgeek
4-4-11, 5:24pm
Cleaning the stove. We have one of those glass cooktops. I they would be easier to clean than a regular cooktop. Well yes and no. Easily to get to stuff, but harder in that /everything/ needs to be scrubbed off and it "bakes" on instantly.

Gina
4-4-11, 5:26pm
Least favourite cooking chore:

Preparing something good/nutritious when I'm tired and hungry and just want to eat.

Kathy WI
4-4-11, 5:54pm
I'm tired of cooking in general, and if I won the lotto I'd never cook again. The thing I hate most is chopping things like vegetables. I quit chopping onions; I just buy frozen chopped onions. If I lived alone and didn't feel obligated to cook halfway nice dinners for my family, I'd live on restaurant food, canned soup and PB&J sandwiches.

Kat
4-4-11, 6:08pm
Ditto on the chopping onions! I also dislike de-boning and de-skinning chicken breast (the feel, the smell--ick!), but it is so much cheaper that way.

Stella
4-4-11, 6:43pm
Add me to the dishes list. Not my favourite chore at all, but I do like what it feels like when it's done. I agree with matt too that unloading the dishwasher is unsatisfying. I assigned that job to my kids.

libby
4-4-11, 6:56pm
I can't stand browning ground beef. It always seems to make a mess of the stovetop.

redfox
4-4-11, 7:33pm
Cleaning the stove. We have one of those glass cooktops. I they would be easier to clean than a regular cooktop. Well yes and no. Easily to get to stuff, but harder in that /everything/ needs to be scrubbed off and it "bakes" on instantly.

Do you use the cream cleanser recommended for this reason? I've used it when I cleaned houses, and it works well.

Rosemary
4-4-11, 8:39pm
I used to really detest unloading the dishwasher, but I have so many more useful outlets for my energy than hating such a simple task! I decided to appreciate the work that the dishwasher does for me, instead. Likewise, I don't especially enjoy washing dishes, especially in the winter when my hands are so dry the skin is cracking, but I use the time for mindfulness or for planning.

Bastelmutti
4-4-11, 9:46pm
Washing eggs or peanut butter off of anything - gross. Cutting through chicken bones (like when I make wings). Using oily fish - although I like the taste, I don't like the lingering smell (DH handles his own anchovies). Disposing of lard or oil. Baking, except for very simple things (can't tweak constantly like I do with cooking). Otherwise I love cooking.

iris lily
4-4-11, 9:51pm
I will come and chop the onions of ya'll because I do not mind that. I will empty mattj's silverware container from the dishwasher because, strangely, I like doing that. It's anal, putting spoons away with other spoons, forks away with other forks.

I do not like cleaning the stove or the refrigerator.

Regarding boilovers: one more reason why RICE COOKERS ROCK!

iris lily
4-4-11, 9:55pm
Add me to the dishes list. Not my favourite chore at all, but I do like what it feels like when it's done. I agree with matt too that unloading the dishwasher is unsatisfying. I assigned that job to my kids.

For a while I was only allowed to unload the dishwasher because I couldn't load it properly according to DH's germanic view of what must be placed where and how. oy. But he's gotten over that obsession and now I am allowed to both load it and unload it. lucky me. guess I was better off when I was incompetent.

Rosemary
4-4-11, 10:35pm
I thought of my most-hated kitchen task: anything related to raw meat. I cook it, but I prefer to just dump it from the wrapper into the cooking receptacle. I never make anything that involves lots of handling of raw meat, like meatballs. Even though we avoid the factory-farmed meats, I still hate the idea of foodborne bacteria all over my hands and kitchen.

Tiam
4-4-11, 11:48pm
Having something tried and true turn into a horrible flop - just totally knocks down my cooking confidence......that and dishes.
Currently my dishwasher is broken so everything has to be handwashed and I find myself making way too many simple meals because my first thought is 'do you know how many pans I'll have to wash if I make that?' That makes me feel like a horrible cook - and I'm not.

I've never had a dishwasher. I'm 52 years old.

Wildflower
4-5-11, 3:28am
I absolutely detest handling any type of raw meat. But, of course, I do it anyway and I go to great extremes not to touch it if possible.... If it wasn't for hubby's love of meat I would happily become a fulltime vegetarian. I'm about 3/4 one now...

goldensmom
4-5-11, 6:40am
I don’t mind most of the chores involved in cooking but I do mind the disproportionate amount of time it takes to prepare the meal compared to the time it takes to consume the meal. Sometime I feel like making everyone sit at the table for 2 hours because that’s how long I’ve been in the kitchen cooking.

Mrs. M, I’ve tried everything to keep the tears from flowing when chopping an onion (even the under water method) and nothing works for me. I have found the variety of onion helps a little. Maybe I should just think sad things and at least take advantage of a good cry*.

*My husband does not understand the concept of a 'good cry', must be a woman thing.

Rosemary
4-5-11, 8:01am
re: onions - for me, chilling the onions definitely helps. Tears are caused by volatile gases in the onions, and if the onion is quite cold, those compounds will be less volatile.

Mrs-M
4-5-11, 11:07am
Lots of fun reading everyone's entries! :)

Originally posted by Jennipurrr.
I seriously look at folks crosseyed who enjoy washing/drying dishes by hand. Now two of me would be real scary! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing002.gif

Libby. What I do when browning ground beef is I do it in a large stock pot. Toss beef in, close the lid, set temp to around medium, relax. Let beef go for 10 or so minutes, open lid and stir/chop down, replace lid and let go for another 5-10, stir/chop down again, then judge remainder of cooking time required.

Iris Lily. Alright then, you got the onion cutting job in our house! :)

Goldensmom. :laff: I've read and heard about different things pertaining to lessening the eye-burning effects of cutting onions/chipping onions, but holding true to my nature I much prefer getting the job done. Dive in and slice/chop/cut, allow eyes to water intensely, add onion to dish, then flush eyes with cool water after.

libby
4-5-11, 11:36am
Mrs. M I have actually taken to doing hamburger in the oven. I put 10 pounds of it in a turkey roaster with some water and bake til done. I freeze it in meal size portions. I really hate doing it in a fry pan!

Greg44
4-5-11, 1:05pm
I thought of my most-hated kitchen task: anything related to raw meat. I cook it, but I prefer to just dump it from the wrapper into the cooking receptacle. I never make anything that involves lots of handling of raw meat, like meatballs. Even though we avoid the factory-farmed meats, I still hate the idea of foodborne bacteria all over my hands and kitchen.

Being the only vegetarian in the family - I too hate when I have to cook meat - for the very same reason. From the time I open a package of chicken I feel like I am contaminating the entire kitchen with bacteria...

loosechickens
4-5-11, 1:15pm
peeling garlic, when the papery little skins stick to your fingers, and when you're a person who likes LOTS of garlic, is just tedious and takes forever.

i am the biggest fan in the world of those big bags of fresh, peeled garlic cloves at Costco, because they allow me to literally dump out handfuls of cloves to use in something. I LOVE garlic, but peeling it is my very least favorite part of cooking, so these bags were made for me.

Mrs-M
4-5-11, 1:56pm
Great idea Libby! I'll have to remember that one. :)

LC. Peeling garlic can be tedious and frustrating, but one thing that makes all the difference in the world (when peeling) is actually doing all of the peeling first, then dice it up/chop it up after. If you peel one clove at a time then slice/chop, the secretion from the garlic makes for a sticky situation.

Mrs-M
4-5-11, 2:02pm
Herbgeek. I don't have a glass/ceramic cook surface stove (yet), notice how I added "yet", :) because I do plan on owning one in the next year or two. I will get one! :laff: I want one sooo bad!!!

Anyhow, Re: cleaning. I'd be tempted to spray with a cleaning liquid such as Oxy Clean Scrub Free, then let soak. As far as greasy reside goes, nothing IMO beats a mixture of hot soapy/ammonia water! You only need a hint of ammonia. Eats grease and oily reside off surfaces like magic!

Mrs-M
4-5-11, 2:06pm
Kathy WI. I'm REALLY disappointed in you! :) http://serve.mysmiley.net/sign/sign0157.gif

Kat. I'm thinking I'm going to buy us some swimming goggles to wear for the occasion! :laff:

Mrs-M
4-5-11, 2:10pm
Bastelmutti. Oily fish smell is one of my pet peeves too! (Smoked oysters, mussels, fish). Ewww!

Iris Lily. Cleaning the fridge is my most hated kitchen job! Absolutely despise doing it!

Mrs-M
4-5-11, 2:15pm
Rosemary. I'm going to try chilling them next time. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Kestrel
4-5-11, 4:33pm
This isn't cooking (which I'm not fond of) but I don't like doing this either: mopping floors. I'd rather clean the bathroom than mop. Or sweep, tho that's not as bad as mopping. DH vacuums, but I'm going to bug him to sweep and mop too ;) ... one of these days ...

Mrs-M
4-5-11, 8:09pm
Serendipity. Thing is, if one is a sloppy cook allowing all sorts of splattering to take place, then mopping and even washing floors afterwards would be all in a days work! :) I never mop or sweep, just wash, twice weekly, sometimes more! Hands and knees style! So old-fashioned I am.....

Kestrel
4-5-11, 8:25pm
Hey, when I was much younger I hands-and-knees cleaned my floors too (including bathrooms). We were kinda back-to-the-land hippie-ish way back then (mid '60s to mid '80s). But I'm MUCH older now and ain't gonna do that no more! As I said, I don't mind (and even enjoy, as meditative time) washing dishes and the counters and stove, etc. -- even emptying the dishwasher. BUT NOT FLOORS. To each her/his own .....

fidgiegirl
4-5-11, 8:33pm
I'm with you, Mrs. M, on the chopping. Onions especially, but also peppers. And then just the tedium of the rest of it.

Mrs-M
4-5-11, 8:56pm
Serendipity. I hear you. :) As grow older it's like- "oh, my poor knees". Funny how we each have our own love/hate relationship when it comes to domesticities.

Fidgiegirl. One area where I find I falter (really bad) is extended cutting/chopping. My wrists just aren't strong enough and heavy enough to go and go, and then the all too familiar "wrist burn" sets in. Every slice, every cut, every drop of the knife feels as though my wrist (cutting hand) is on fire.

Kestrel
4-5-11, 11:49pm
:)... and even tho I didn't like cooking, particularly, even "way back when", we did everything we could from scratch. I can remember cooking the weirdest things -- the kids still laugh about Mom's "walnut balls" -- but I thought they were good! Many here today are doing much more and better than we did! I envy you all that, and I enjoy reading about it. :)

beckyliz
4-6-11, 12:49pm
I cannot make a piecrust to save my soul, probably because I've only attempted that feat less than half a dozen times. I just get so frustrated when the crust sticks to the rolling pin, then I have to patch it, which looks crappy, then it gets tough. I just buy the premade ones.

Mrs-M
4-13-11, 5:58pm
Beckyliz, your post made me laugh really good! (I needed a good laugh, haven't had one in a week). I'm picturing your patched pie crust right now! :)

Serendipity. I love reading everyone's entries too. Never a dull entry or moment here. So many interesting and helpful suggestions and ideas.

Rosemary
4-13-11, 8:15pm
Beckyliz - pie crust is something I've never worked on much. My first one was a flop, and I haven't really made any since then! Instead, I make crustless pies with crumb toppings, fruit cobblers, and open tarts using a press-in crust from my grandmother's recipe. I have to say, I don't really miss pie crust!

RosieTR
4-14-11, 11:29pm
Reaching into dirty water. We have very good knives that have to be hand-washed and DH often soaks them or other dishes in the sink. Overnight. Such that in the morning when he's gone to work I get to reach into yucky cold water with food bits in it. It grosses me out-usually I find a long spatula or fork and pull the stopper out with that. After all that I will say, it's so worth it to have great knives! Truly one of the best things we own, especially since we cook a LOT, and as much from scratch as much as possible.
Next is floors. We have a lot of tile and a crappy mop which makes an unpleasant job less pleasant. I'm still debating whether to get a steam mop, but DH does the floors most of the time. The only plus to sweeping/mopping is that I can listen to music while I'm doing it, unlike the vacuum. The vacuum is faster but louder.

ApatheticNoMore
4-15-11, 12:24am
dishes definitely

Mrs-M
4-15-11, 1:11am
Hey Rosemary, I have an aunt who is the pie crust master. She just has the "touch" as I call it, me on the other hand- not so. I can get the job done but my pie crust making skills definitely could stand a little tweaking!

RosieTR. Dirty water, yes! Ewww! I avoid it at all costs. (No filling the kitchen sink in preparation of washing dishes without the intent of following through with dedication to get the job done). Once I start there's no turning back.

ApatheticNoMore. I feel so blessed that dishes fall under one of my favoured chores. (Maybe I can send a little of my "dish love" your way)! :)