PDA

View Full Version : Purge 2015 September Declutter 100 Items

Float On
9-1-15, 3:34pm
The last quarter of the year and we're moving right along with our challenges. I'm ready to tackle September and see what 100 items I don't need in my life anymore.

***When things aren't adding up in your life, start subtracting.*** Anon

1. silver-plate with glass casserole insert and lid
2. silver-plate bowl
3. pillow insert (made a new one out of my stash, tossed the old one)
4. 5 gallon food-grade bucket (donated to a class room that was asking for one)

beckyliz
9-1-15, 4:18pm
1. a scarf that I don't really love in the donate bag.

Teacher Terry
9-1-15, 6:38pm
Worked on my walk in closet & filled my trunk. Gave it all to charity. I never count items-too much trouble.

danna
9-2-15, 7:31am
Sept 2
Yes, I am back I was thinking I was done....after I sent a few boxes to charity in Aug I was feeling pretty good about my house/garage
on the surface it all looks neat and tidy but, when I get into the cupboards it could be a lot better.
Once you get started on this journey it is hard to stop and I think that is a good thing....lol
I will be back later today with my list.
I am also, buying very little and trying to use up pantry and freezers.

Float On
9-3-15, 9:44am
Sept 2

Once you get started on this journey it is hard to stop and I think that is a good thing....lol

I agree.:D

5.-7. tossed 3 expired items out of the spice cabinet
8.-9. tossed an eyeshadow and a mascara (not replacing, have several others to use at this point)
10.-12. DH added 3 t-shirts to my next dog bed box

danna
9-3-15, 11:09pm
Posted this on a new thread because I could find this one last night so I will try to delete that post.

Sept 02

I thought I posted to this thread yesterday but, can't find it.....lol...getting old
My thoughts yesterday or I dreamed it was that when I had Charity pick up several boxes in August
I figured I was finished with decluttering. But, even with everything looking neat and tidy on the surfaces
there is still too much in closets and cupboards. Once you start this process it is hard to stop and I
guess that is a good thing.................. So here I am............................

---4 really old worn t-shirts cut up into rags (these are what I call one last use rags they do not get wash but are
thrown out after being used for messy things like cleaning out greasy pans)
---2 Seed catologs
---1 couple of bits and things out of makeup drawer
For a total of 7 todate
Sept 03
2---very large files from house purchases ages ago....shred
1---bunch of bit and pieces from cleaning out two file containers and putting them nicely in 2 Bankers Boxes ...they look nice, neat and look organized
instead of ramdom
Total todate 10

danna
9-5-15, 9:27am
Sept 02

I thought I posted to this thread yesterday but, can't find it.....lol...getting old
My thoughts yesterday or I dreamed it was that when I had Charity pick up several boxes in August
I figured I was finished with decluttering. But, even with everything looking neat and tidy on the surfaces
there is still too much in closets and cupboards. Once you start this process it is hard to stop and I
guess that is a good thing.................. So here I am............................

---4 really old worn t-shirts cut up into rags (these are what I call one last use rags they do not get wash but are
thrown out after being used for messy things like cleaning out greasy pans)
---2 Seed catologs
---1 couple of bits and things out of makeup drawer
For a total of 7 todate
Sept 03
2---very large files from house purchases ages ago....shred
1---bunch of bit and pieces from cleaning out two file containers and putting them nicely in 2 Bankers Boxes ...they look nice, neat and look organized
instead of random
Total todate 10

Sept 04
--2 pr of gloves that don't fit to friend....3 Toy (not sure where it even came from) to friend
--1 Gift cont. garbage---1 Inflatable pillow---charity
--13 misc. cards to Charity----2 magazines..to recycle -----1 pair of new shoe laces with a name on them to charity
---5 used light blubs...3 to garbage and 2 to hazardous waste box.
Total 38 Yeah I think I am on a roll.............................................. ...be back later

Tulips
9-7-15, 3:59pm
Broken cooler, ugly flower pot, drainage disc, broKen camp lattern, ripped cloth grocery bag =5 for Sept so far.

ejchase
9-7-15, 8:07pm
In the process of changing dressers two weeks ago, found about 20 items of clothing I have hardly ever worn over the last 5 years, so let those go. Then today, my SO and I did a quick sweep through one of my daughter's toy areas and found 22 items to pass on to other kids.

Along with a couple of other things I found going through the house, I was able to drop off a total of 44 items at Goodwill today.

So 44 is my total for this month, and my total for the year is now 333. Hoping to get rid of about 700 items this year, so feeling like I'm getting a bit caught up if I want to reach that goal.

danna
9-7-15, 10:55pm
Sept07
Garbage---4 pens
Recycle---1 very large envelope already used not sure why I was keeping it
Recycle--2 old Wall Calendars
Total to day 45....very little bit helps

Float On
9-13-15, 2:55pm
13. watercolor framed
14. empty frame
15. 2 framed prints
16. cowboy hat
17-18. 2 coffee cups
19-20. 2 pottery cups
21-27. pottery cereal bowls
28. clock
29-30 glass vases
31-40 song books and glass books
41. creamer pitcher
42. pottery stand
43. 3 hole punch
44-45. sketch pad and charcoal pencils

JenniferinFL
9-14-15, 10:21am
Thought I would hop in here. I love stuff, so I don't intend to reduce completely. But, just finished reading "The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up" and am giving it a good attempt.

I'm still on the initial discard, I had too much stuff to do the categories exactly as the book described, so I'm sort of winging it. I've been doing all the clothes in each room and then combining what remains for the final sort through.

Started three days ago, so far have brought 25 bags(13-gallon) to Goodwill, 10 bags went out to the curb, and 2 bags are going to the local consignment shop. I bought black garbage bags for things that are trash, white garbage bags for things to donate and clear bins that I already had for consignment items. Makes it really easy to tell which is which.. lol

After I do my initial discard, I hope to do this 100 item a month thing to help maintain or even streamline a bit more. The book says it can take up to 6 months to do the initial discard, but, I'm really hoping to be done in a couple weeks.

Some items I got rid of were 10 garbage bags of clothes, 2 garbage bags of shoes, 6 garbage bags of stuffed animals. I collect toys, but, because everything was scattered, I hadn't realized that I had duplicates of many things!

Anyhow, really excited about this whole discarding kick, so, wanted to find a place to discuss it. :)

Ultralight
9-14-15, 10:25am
I am donating a pair of swim trunks to Goodwill and a laundry sorter thingy from Target that I used to use in a place where I did not have a closet. I'll just use the closet at my place now, along with a duffle bag instead. Oh, I am also donating a small pendant.

Ultralight
9-14-15, 10:30am
Thought I would hop in here. I love stuff, so I don't intend to reduce completely. But, just finished reading "The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up" and am giving it a good attempt.

I'm still on the initial discard, I had too much stuff to do the categories exactly as the book described, so I'm sort of winging it. I've been doing all the clothes in each room and then combining what remains for the final sort through.

Started three days ago, so far have brought 25 bags(13-gallon) to Goodwill, 10 bags went out to the curb, and 2 bags are going to the local consignment shop. I bought black garbage bags for things that are trash, white garbage bags for things to donate and clear bins that I already had for consignment items. Makes it really easy to tell which is which.. lol

After I do my initial discard, I hope to do this 100 item a month thing to help maintain or even streamline a bit more. The book says it can take up to 6 months to do the initial discard, but, I'm really hoping to be done in a couple weeks.

Some items I got rid of were 10 garbage bags of clothes, 2 garbage bags of shoes, 6 garbage bags of stuffed animals. I collect toys, but, because everything was scattered, I hadn't realized that I had duplicates of many things!

Anyhow, really excited about this whole discarding kick, so, wanted to find a place to discuss it. :)

It is exciting that you are "tidying up!" I'd like to observe someone, in-person, doing the Kondo thing. I am looking forward to hearing about your updates.

Float On
9-14-15, 11:37am

Great job Jennifer! Have you watched some of the youtube videos of people doing the "Tidying"? Quite inspiring. Something I've noted from friends or strangers who take on the "Tidying" method is that they previously didn't purge their things very often.

JenniferinFL
9-14-15, 9:27pm
It is exciting that you are "tidying up!" I'd like to observe someone, in-person, doing the Kondo thing. I am looking forward to hearing about your updates.

I now really wish I had taken before photos. I didn't think I would have that much to discard, I was actually really surprised. I mean, it's not like it was all stacked against walls or some other hoarder craziness. Everything was in a closet, drawer or cabinet.

JenniferinFL
9-14-15, 9:32pm
Great job Jennifer! Have you watched some of the youtube videos of people doing the "Tidying"? Quite inspiring. Something I've noted from friends or strangers who take on the "Tidying" method is that they previously didn't purge their things very often.

I did watch a couple "how-to" videos as unfortunately I had to return the book to the library already and couldn't remember how to fold and stuff like that.

I did a twice annual or annual purge. BUT, I just purged down to where things fit nicely. I didn't go beyond that. If it all fit, that was good enough for me. It didn't have to look neat, it all just had to fit into my existing storage.

That was probably my downfall, just because I COULD keep it didn't mean I should keep it.

Float On
9-24-15, 10:51am
46. big metal planter
47. vintage shopping basket
48. wood step stool
49. office organizer
50-55. 5 pair of jeans (sending to mom, she is collecting to make a jean quilt for the cabin)
56-66. DH cleaned out 10 t-shirts and shirts
67-77. I cleaned out 10 shirts, sweaters, skirts from my fall/winter
78. scarf
79-80. 2 ceramic turkeys (I'm just not that great at seasonal decorating)
81.-90. summer skirts (6), and shorts(4) I didn't wear this year.
91.-100. summer t-shirts (6) and workout shirts(2) and swimsuits (2) I didn't use this year.

danna
9-26-15, 11:19pm
As of Sept 07/15--total 45
---3 more dried up pens
--3 more magazines
---1 large food storage container..(too large to safely use for my hands) to charity
---3 photo/remembrance albums (removed pictures) and tossed albums
--1 never used album --to charity
--1 hand out (rag bag)
total to date 57

Teacher Terry
9-27-15, 12:42pm
Last few years I have only put up a few decorations at xmas & nothing at all for the other holidays. So all that stuff off to the thrift store.

Tulips
9-27-15, 4:01pm
Trash-3 photo cds, papers, magazines, to Goodwill - comforter set, sold 9 books and 2 cds to Half Price Books for $4. I will count all this as 20. Total of 25 for September.