PDA

View Full Version : Panniers vs. metal basket?

Ultralight
9-2-15, 9:51am
I am biking a lot this month, anything less than 4 miles. So I am going to the grocery and whatnot on my bike.

I was wondering what you bikers think about panniers vs. a metal basket on a rack above my rear wheel.

Any thoughts or insights are welcome!

Tammy
9-2-15, 11:13am
If biking I only buy two bags of stuff or less. Then I hang one nah around each handle bar and go home. Simple. I know steering g is affected by the weight up front - but I go slow on the sidewalks with that set up. It's fun. I don't value speed nor sharing streets with cars.

Ultralight
9-2-15, 11:18am
If biking I only buy two bags of stuff or less. Then I hang one nah around each handle bar and go home. Simple. I know steering g is affected by the weight up front - but I go slow on the sidewalks with that set up. It's fun. I don't value speed nor sharing streets with cars.

I did that yesterday with the stuff I bought at the bike shop (kickstand and rack for basket/panniers) and it was a bit too wonky a ride for me.

kib
9-2-15, 11:20am
I've got metal baskets at the moment - two that hang off the edges of the rear rack so I can put something on the rack as well. they fold flat when not in use. Received them as a gift. They're ok and inexpensive but seem heavy and rattle a bit. This bike is already so heavy, with two full baskets I almost tipped the bike after stopping. I think I preferred panniers, having bags that close up is more practical to me. What I really want is a pannier system with a bit of a rack system for super super easy removal so I can actually use the pannier as a shopping bag.

If I were doing it over again and wanted baskets I might try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Bushwhacker-Omaha-Bicycle-Grocery-Pannier/dp/B00B4ZKZK0/ref=sr_1_8?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1441207431&sr=1-8&keywords=bike+basket+rear+rack

mine:

http://www.amazon.com/Wald-Folding-Bicycle-Basket-12-75/dp/B0012DZEBY/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1441207329&sr=1-1&keywords=bike+basket+rear+rack

(http://www.amazon.com/Wald-Folding-Bicycle-Basket-12-75/dp/B0012DZEBY/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1441207329&sr=1-1&keywords=bike+basket+rear+rack)

Ultralight
9-2-15, 11:22am
Good to know. Thanks!

Dhiana
9-2-15, 11:35am
I used panniers so the entire space on top of the bike rack was free to attach/bungy cord anything else on top I needed to.
Everything from sleeping bags, tents, chair, etc.
Attach a milk crate on top and you have a 3rd basket.

in the end it was all about finding the easiest way to keep everything dry when I got stuck in the rain or from muddy puddles after it rained.

Ultralight
9-2-15, 11:38am
I used panniers so the entire space on top of the bike rack was free to attach/bungy cord anything else on top I needed to.
Everything from sleeping bags, tents, chair, etc.
Attach a milk crate on top and you have a 3rd basket.

in the end it was all about finding the easiest way to keep everything dry when I got stuck in the rain or from muddy puddles after it rained.

Excellent point about the "bonus basket" if I go the panniers route!

kib
9-2-15, 11:49am
or these, if I was sure i could justify the cost

http://www.amazon.com/Jandd-Grocery-Bag-Pannier/dp/B003UWIIIQ

pcooley
9-2-15, 10:50pm
After eight years of being carfree with kids, and still using the bicycle for most things after buying a car when the kids hit middle school, I have to say that I really like my metal baskets. I have a big front basket, and I have the WALD folding basket referenced by kib above. I like being able to drop my backpack in the basket, and then I can pull my shopping bag out of the backpack, and put that, full of groceries in the basket and wear the backpack if need be.

Of course I have way too much other bike stuff. We have two Xtracycle equipped bikes, though my wife does not use hers any more. I use that one often if I'm buying fifty pound bags of dog food, chicken feed, etc, and sometimes for family groceries. I also have a bicycle Revolution trailer (http://bikerev.com/). That holds a lot for a family.

But I think if I was just starting out and not shopping for four, I would go with two of the WALD folding baskets on the back, with cheap small bungie nets to keep things from jumping out.

Ultralight
9-3-15, 9:22am
After eight years of being carfree with kids, and still using the bicycle for most things after buying a car when the kids hit middle school, I have to say that I really like my metal baskets. I have a big front basket, and I have the WALD folding basket referenced by kib above. I like being able to drop my backpack in the basket, and then I can pull my shopping bag out of the backpack, and put that, full of groceries in the basket and wear the backpack if need be.

Of course I have way too much other bike stuff. We have two Xtracycle equipped bikes, though my wife does not use hers any more. I use that one often if I'm buying fifty pound bags of dog food, chicken feed, etc, and sometimes for family groceries. I also have a bicycle Revolution trailer (http://bikerev.com/). That holds a lot for a family.

But I think if I was just starting out and not shopping for four, I would go with two of the WALD folding baskets on the back, with cheap small bungie nets to keep things from jumping out.

What if you were just starting out and shopping for one and a half?

ToomuchStuff
9-4-15, 1:38am
Let me ask if your bike has fenders?
A basket won't help against the rain, and no fenders mean puddles could be a problem as well. That said, I don't think panniers are the only solution. (I like the removable milk crate, as you can take it with you for security, or when you need it). I also think a front basket still could serve a purpose, just as well as ones back (backpack).

Ultralight
9-4-15, 7:48am
Let me ask if your bike has fenders?
A basket won't help against the rain, and no fenders mean puddles could be a problem as well. That said, I don't think panniers are the only solution. (I like the removable milk crate, as you can take it with you for security, or when you need it). I also think a front basket still could serve a purpose, just as well as ones back (backpack).

Fenders?

ToomuchStuff
9-5-15, 7:41am
Yes, fenders! Those metal strips that are on some bikes, above the tires, and not on other bikes, like most mountain bikes (that is what they are called). They help prevent water spray from puddles (low spots), from shooting up at the rider and their baskets, which tend to be open mesh.

bicyclist
7-31-16, 5:53pm
I am thrilled with a couple of panniers made from tough recycled materials I bought from REI. They have several choices. Look into it! You can carry quite a lot of stuff in them. Bicyclist

Rogar
8-2-16, 8:41pm
I vote panniers of the type that hang from a standard rear bike rack, hands down. They keep the center of gravity low, generally have some side pockets for keeping bike gear separate from the main compartments, and usually have some compression straps to cinch up the panniers and keep them from flopping around with a small load or keep things like produce from bouncing around. I can get a decent amount of groceries into them, but even in good summer weather still have to do a grocery run with the car for bulky items or a big restock.

Selah
8-3-16, 1:49pm
Most people in Israel had big ol' plastic milk crates fastened to their rear bike rack, and a basket off the front handlebars if the design allowed. I did the same thing to my bike, and it was great! Not aerodynamic, of course, but I was in a town and speed/distance weren't really issues. Incredibly practical, no one stole them, and carried a LOT of food and other stuff. We got along like that without a car for over a year.