PDA

View Full Version : Shredded Paper

Kat
4-6-11, 3:30pm
Not sure if this belongs here or in environment...

So, I shredded like a zillion documents today and am wondering what I could use the shredded paper for (my city won't accept it on the recycling route). I know I can use some of it for gift bag filler/packing material, but a girl only needs so much filler! ;-) Can I compost it or use it in the garden somehow?

I don't have any small pets (like rodents) and don't think my cats would use it in their litterbox (they are very picky). I thought it would work as Easter grass, but I don't have any baskets to fill.

Any other ideas?

Rosemary
4-6-11, 3:42pm
Most office-type paper is bleached, so I definitely wouldn't use it in a garden for edibles, and I don't know if it would harm the soil in a flower bed.
Our recycling accepts shredded paper if it is in a clear plastic bag in the bin, so that it can be separated from the rest of the materials easily.

JaneV2.0
4-6-11, 4:56pm
It's likely someone in your area recycles shredded paper. Call your waste-management provider and see if they can direct you, or check your municipal website. Ours has a lengthy list of recyclers for everything from scrap metal to styrofoam.

As for using it as compost: http://blog.pennlive.com/gardening/2007/04/using_shredded_paper_in_the_ga.html

redfox
4-6-11, 6:02pm
Compost it. Or time for a worm bin?

fidgiegirl
4-6-11, 7:22pm
I put mine in the compost bin, too.

puglogic
4-6-11, 9:04pm
I'd never use it directly in the garden, but do compost small amounts with no apparent ill effects.

danna
4-6-11, 9:06pm
I have always composted it too...only issue was it did seem to pack down one time when I put way too much in at one time and took a longer time to compost...

early morning
4-7-11, 6:12am
I compost it, or soak and use it as mulch in the flower bed. Looks a little strange, but keeps the weeds down! This year I think I'll add a weeks worth of coffee grounds to the water when I soak it, maybe it won't be so white then.

danna
4-7-11, 3:15pm
lol---like the coffee grounds idea..