PDA

View Full Version : 100 Items/Spring Fling

Kat
4-6-11, 4:43pm
Back on the old boards, there were often "100 Item" threads for each month so people could keep track of all the items they have decluttered. Anyone interested in doing a 100-item toss (i.e. "Spring Fling") for April?

Here is what I have managed to do today:

1 pair jeans
2 lanyards
2 old ID badges (shredded)
1 stuffed bear
20 books
2 old notebooks (used up)
1 pitcher
2 serving bowls
1 toaster
1 pizza stone
1 grilling fork (had two)
1 cutting board

Total: 35

Stella
4-8-11, 2:14pm
I like this! So far for April:

1. A bunch of wine glasses
2. A crystal candy dish
3. A red hurricane lantern
4. A red decanter
5. Three bags of clothes
6. A set of Irish coffee mugs
7. A christmas magnet I don't like
8. A bunch of cheap magnets from businesses that don't hold anything on the fridge
9. My parent's old cross country skis. I've never seen them use them. I'm in my 30s. Time to go.
10. CDs and a CD cabinet

Some things I'm considering selling on craigslist:

1. An old wooden trunk
2. The girls dresser. No one uses it.
3. A pair of gargoyle book ends I like, but that have potential for injury for toddlers
4. A tiffany style lamp
5. A very nice, large antique needlepoint of a flamenco dancer
6. An antique game table
7. The train table
8. The dresser in the boys' room
9. My grandpa's nice leather wingback chair and ottoman
10. Some antique clocks
11. The crib

I'm sure there are other things in storage, but I'm not sure what at the moment.

Stella
4-8-11, 2:16pm
Forgot a donate item.

11. A serving bowl that goes with my parent's old mexican style dishes, but not at all with my stuff.

Also considering getting rid of my old Christmas dishes. I like them, but I never, ever use them.

Float On
4-8-11, 3:55pm
Since I forgot to start a April Decluttering thread, this is great.

1. Broken bird feeder
2. 1/2 of a broken hose (keeping the other 1/2 for when I need to drain my pond)
3. Dead house plant (to the compost pile)
4. 2 extra calendars
5. probably a dozen pair of faded winter socks (black/brown)
6. a beautiful bra that pinches (hung on to that one for over a year just incase it suddenly decided not to pinch anymore)
7. this one is funny - 2 right shoes. Apparently I donated 2 left shows last fall.

Zoe Girl
4-8-11, 10:40pm
I am going to think about this, I started a year ago and got rid of at least 50% of everything I owned. It was crazy! But I still have some work to do, Mine may top out at 20 items however

Madsen
4-9-11, 12:39am
Hmm I've already made up a couple boxes that are sitting in the back of my truck to take this weekend ---- do I hafta open them up and count the stuff? :)

rosarugosa
4-9-11, 7:37am
Float on: That's funny; I've done that with underwear. Like there might come a day when I would think that I'm in the mood to wear the uncomfortable underwear! Bye-bye!

Kat
4-10-11, 6:41pm
@stella--I got rid of my holiday dishes, too. I always thought I would use them but never did (despite my good intentions).
@zoe--20 items after already purging half would be terrific! I'm impressed! :-)
@ madsen--LOL I don't think you need to dig around and count all the stuff you already boxed up ;-)

Today I got rid of an end table and a broken lamp.

Total: 37

Stella
4-10-11, 8:46pm
Zach and I have a decluttering plan. This week I am going to go through the house and storage mark everything I want to sell with a post-it with a price on it. Then Zach will take pictures of each item and list them on craigslist.

Next week we will go level by level making a pile of stuff for a yard sale and filling a trash bag with stuff that just needs to be tossed. The yard sale stuff will go to storage and the remaining stuff will be reorganized. Dad is going to go through his stuff and declutter too.

The following week I will go to storage and price all the remaining stuff for the garage sale. We're going to have the garage sale some time in late May. We live in a good place for garage sales. I'm going to see if any of my neighbors want to have a sale the same weekend. That way we can bill it as a multi-family sale. Whatever hasn't sold on craigslist by the end of May will be put in the sale. Whatever doesn't sell in the yard sale will be donated. This should have the house pretty well cleared out by the end of April and the storage locker cleared by the end of May.

Float On
4-10-11, 9:57pm
8. Broken easel
9. several of DH's shirts
10. several of DH's pants
11. DH's old workboots
12. DH's studio shoes (he needs a new pair anyway and I just didn't feel like scrubbing 2 broken eggs out of the shoes - DS#2 dropped a couple of eggs right after he walked in the back door and tripped over another pair of my DH's shoes) I seriously hate the pile up of shoes at the back door and there just isn't room to organize them there.
13. Broken steam thingy that we haven't used in 12 years
14. some yarn I just didn't like working with.
15. old leaky tent

Kat
4-12-11, 2:28pm
1 more lamp!

Total: 38

Kat
4-24-11, 9:20am
April is whizzing by; I need to get movin'!

I wasn't sure if I should include the following in my count since it involved taking a lot in as well. But since the things I took in were needed, I decided to post it.

Yesterday one of my sisters gave me two huge bags of baby clothes in various sizes (what a blessing). She told me that some of them weren't the nicest since they had been through 4 girls. I weeded through them yesterday, and most of them were in very nice condition. There were 10 things that I opted not to keep either due to staining or duplication.

So...10 more things out.

Total: 48

I am hoping to get some cleaning/organizing done this next week. We have to clean out our garage for large pick-up, too, so I should have more to post soon.

Perplexa
4-24-11, 10:42am
Great idea! I'm moving in a month and a half, so decluttering = good!

1-8 Old clothes to Goodwill

Jinger
4-24-11, 10:56am
I like this idea. I am beginning my once in a great while super cleaning...starting with my craft studio/closet and bathroom...doing one room at a time. I've been in this apartment for 5 years and need to do some changing up. Rearranging artwork and photos, tossing "stuff" that has accumulated, recycling unused items, selling clothing....and more. I like the idea of going even more minimalist...less to clean and care for!

So far:

1. Gave away a garbage bag of fabric scraps
2. Took a paper grocery bag full of clothing to Savers
3. Put 3 pairs of shoes on eBay
4. Cut up old T shirts for cleaning rags
5. Gave away a bottle of vitamins that were too strong for me

3 more rooms to clean...wonder what will go and what will stay!

http://iliketomakethings.blogspot.com

fidgiegirl
4-24-11, 12:38pm
How did I miss this thread? I was puttin' all my stuff up in another decluttering thread! Oh well, still getting rid of crap. :D

Kat
4-24-11, 5:21pm
How did I miss this thread? I was puttin' all my stuff up in another decluttering thread!

That's my fault, fidgie! I put this thread in Organizing and probably should have put it in Challenges where folks are used to finding it.

Decluttering is decluttering, though, no matter where you post it! :-)

Kat
4-24-11, 6:22pm
I just did a little decluttering the bathroom. I feel as though I do this pretty often, and yet I am consistently surprised at how much crapola we seem to collect there!

1 can of mostly empty hair mousse
1 empty package (really? why didn't I just throw this away when I opened whatever was in there?)
1 suction cup (it was for a razor and always falls down)
2 headbands
1 plastic part to my makeup organizer (it's a lid--I don't use it)
2 attachments for my blow dryer (don't know what they are for and wouldn't use them even if I did)
1 plastic container
1 tub of anti aging pads (I love these, but they aren't recommended during pregnancy and have gotten dried out)
1 huge bottle of shampoo
1 huge bottle of conditioner (these are only partially used; I used to like this brand a lot, but it makes my hair feel gross now--like I have about a week's worth of styling product in it. Ick!)
1 bottle of hairspray (don't use it)
1 plastic lid (I have no idea what this goes to)
1 nail buffer/filer (pretty much worn out)
1 empty soap bottle

Total: 64

ETA: DH just did a baby purge of his own. 2 orphan socks, 2 shirts, 1 hat. Total: 69

fidgiegirl
4-25-11, 10:04pm
Ok! I have missed a lot of things so I probably won't get to 100 in what I write down, but probably will get close in reality. I am on a roll this month.

Today:
1. Power cord for former computer to recycler
2. Former computer shipped out tomorrow to recycler
3. Hard drive from resurrection of former computer to recycler (which someone recommended I replace myself, and I did - only three screws left over and it got me along for about two more years beyond that - we were able to hold out until our debt was paid off!)
4. Three display adapters from former computer to be reused at school
5. One part of a power cord from f.c. also to be reused at school
6. Phone cord to garbage

= 8

Tiam
4-25-11, 10:12pm
Well, I cleaned my vanity...got rid of old make ups and cosmetics and the like.

fidgiegirl
4-30-11, 4:58pm
Our old computer is shipped away to be recycled!

8+1=9

I am going to write down our giveaway box upstairs to take to Goodwill this week. We missed the curbside pickup, boo.

I killed the arm that helps our electric grill lid stand up. So we are going to give that away online (still works) and buy a Lodge Logic grill pan and panini press. I look forward to it.

catherine
5-1-11, 4:06pm
Cool!
I threw out an 8 pound bag after cleaning my bedroom today. Among the stuff:

--Old pair of sneakers
--Old sweater
--Another old sweater
--An old pair of pants
--A shoebox I was keeping "just in case"
--A boot I couldn't find the mate to

Giving to charity:
--A shirt my daughter gave me (her style, not mine)

Selling on eBay
--Never-used gym pants (2 pair)
--Never-used Adidas sweatshirt hoodie