PDA

View Full Version : i impart these wise words of wisdom to you

dinah
9-24-15, 2:31pm
1. don't go to Costco without a plan and a list. just don't.

2. don't let your child take his IPOD into the bathroom. just don't.

3. don't buy 35% cream for the office kitchen. just don't.

what wise words of wisdom do you have for me?

Ultralight
9-24-15, 2:36pm

Part 1 of your words of wisdom is right on! My sis and BIL will go to Costco to spend "around a hundred dollars." $250 later, they are like: "What happened?!" lol

Geila
9-24-15, 2:45pm
1. Don't sit down at the computer for "just a second" to "check that one thing." Just don't.

Ultralight
9-24-15, 3:00pm
1. Be careful when using this phrase: "Challenge accepted!"

CathyA
9-24-15, 3:32pm
Don't buy the package of Sara Lee's individually packaged portions of chocolate pound cake, thinking you'll be able to dole them out to yourself over a couple weeks. Just don't.

LDAHL
9-24-15, 3:57pm
Don't attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Don't ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Don't try to time the market.

Don't "go with your gut". Your gut is an idiot.

Don't draw on an inside straight.

Ultralight
9-24-15, 4:05pm
Don't "go with your gut". Your gut is an idiot.

Amen to this!

Don't draw on an inside straight.

Not sure what this means...

frugal-one
9-24-15, 4:20pm
Don't draw on an inside straight... = cards ... poker

razz
9-24-15, 4:32pm
Don't offer to help an organization without a clear job description.
Don't volunteer without a strict beginning and a clear, preferably written, ending time.

JaneV2.0
9-24-15, 4:46pm
Ha! My gut is apparently a genius. I spent years being "logical," with miserable results. Instinct for the win!

ApatheticNoMore
9-24-15, 4:49pm
Don't buy the package of Sara Lee's individually packaged portions of chocolate pound cake, thinking you'll be able to dole them out to yourself over a couple weeks. Just don't.

along with don't have food in the house if you are trying to avoid eating it or even eat it in moderation if it's junk food (for some reason I can manage chocolate in moderation, but that is all).

SiouzQ.
9-24-15, 5:38pm
Don't leave a pot of rice on the stove thinking you will only walk away "for a minute or two." How many times have I tested this out for ya'll? WAAAAAAAY too many to count.

Gardenarian
9-25-15, 2:11pm

When my daughter takes her phone into the bathroom she'll can stay in there for hours...

Miss Cellane
9-26-15, 8:27am
Don't say "yes," when you really want to say "no."

catherine
9-26-15, 8:40am
Don't lend money to people if you really expect to get it back.

dmc
9-26-15, 9:30am
Don't lend money to people if you really expect to get it back.

I loaned a friend going through a divorce some money to pay off his new truck and to help him get back on his feet. It was low 5 figure amount and I made it very clear that I expected to get the money back. I set up a payment plan with him with low payments. He has a good job and I never thought that it would be a problem. Well he always pays, but sometimes I have to remind him as he gets behind a month or two. We are still friends, and he is still paying, but I'll be glad when he has paid the loan off. I have mentioned to the wife that I have thought about forgiving the rest of the loan, but she is not to keen on that idea.

Gardnr
9-26-15, 9:34am
1. Don't doubt yourself if you have doubt.

2. When someone you care about asks for your help, don't say no. (I declined a friend's request for a visit back in 1999 because I was hot/sweaty from just finishing a workout. She went unconsious the next day and died 4d later. I have always been sad about this). This was one huge life lesson for me!

3. Don't follow people down a rabbit hole you know is not good for you. Just don't. That's not "help, i need you". That's "this is dumb and I want company".

Gardnr
9-26-15, 9:36am
I loaned a friend going through a divorce some money to pay off his new truck and to help him get back on his feet. It was low 5 figure amount and I made it very clear that I expected to get the money back. I set up a payment plan with him with low payments. He has a good job and I never thought that it would be a problem. Well he always pays, but sometimes I have to remind him as he gets behind a month or two. We are still friends, and he is still paying, but I'll be glad when he has paid the loan off. I have mentioned to the wife that I have thought about forgiving the rest of the loan, but she is not to keen on that idea.

This is a business contract with agreed upon parametrics. i have done this. That said if I hand someone a $20 or a $50, I consider it a gift. If it comes back, awesome. If not, it was a gift.

kally
9-26-15, 10:37am
teach your kitten not to scratch furniture when she is a kitten, when she will actually learn something

don't put bath oil in the bath and expect to actually stand up and get out of the bath without falling

don't ignore the hanging swing when it is making a funny noise in the rope or say -" I wonder if it is about to bre.......aaaaaaah"

ctg492
9-26-15, 2:03pm
Don't think you can change someone.

iris lilies
9-26-15, 2:37pm
Don't leave a pot of rice on the stove thinking you will only walk away "for a minute or two." How many times have I tested this out for ya'll? WAAAAAAAY too many to count.and THIS is why I love my rice cooker, perfect rice every time with no attending to it. For us, its worth yet another appliance in the kitchen.

iris lilies
9-26-15, 2:38pm
1. Don't sit down at the computer for "just a second" to "check that one thing." Just don't.

You just described my life.

SteveinMN
9-26-15, 9:11pm
Never drive behind a car driven by an old guy wearing a hat.

freshstart
9-26-15, 10:35pm

box of 24 Sky Bars from Jet, need I say more?

freshstart
9-26-15, 10:39pm
1. Don't doubt yourself if you have doubt.

2. When someone you care about asks for your help, don't say no. (I declined a friend's request for a visit back in 1999 because I was hot/sweaty from just finishing a workout. She went unconsious the next day and died 4d later. I have always been sad about this). This was one huge life lesson for me!

I'm sorry, that one sucks but you had no way of knowing

kib
9-26-15, 10:39pm
Never drive behind a young woman wearing a cell phone.

freshstart
9-26-15, 10:42pm
and THIS is why I love my rice cooker, perfect rice every time with no attending to it. For us, its worth yet another appliance in the kitchen.

but I like really mushy, add extra water til it's almost risotto rice and I cannot figure out how to get the rice cooker to do this

freshstart
9-26-15, 10:46pm
Never drive behind a young woman wearing a cell phone.

In the morning, I had to drive down a long straight stretch of a road at 30 mph, they ticketed for years, now people go slow but they do stuff, one guy I was behind a lot, read the paper as he went along at 30 mph.

freshstart
9-26-15, 11:15pm
Do not bring your 3 yr old to Christmas Eve Midnight mass (theory being, he'll sleep late! amateurs, pure amateurs) and stand in the back. It's mesmerizingly beautiful, peaceful and (key word here being "candles") totally lit by candles everywhere, each person has one, no lights are on. My son did great, seemed to be asleep on my shoulder. The the electric lights come on, I stupidly think this part of the show, the lights get bright when Jesus is born! A metaphor. Then they go off. Minutes later, they start going off then on, off, on, off, on. People are getting mad. A little old man comes over, "lady, that's your son flipping the switch off and on, you better go!" He was on my shoulder facing a wall with nothing on it but a switch, can't blame him! ran like the wind with a baby in a carseat, toddler hanging off my hip, mortified. Then I laughed so hard and still do.

when you call the VA hospital and it rings for 23 minutes straight, no message, just rings, when the operator gets to you after 23 mins, don't say, "23 minutes is a long time, what if I was an elderly vet who couldn't wait that long?" "why can't he wait if he's old, where's he got to be? F that." click. Don't do that because if you are calling to get something for a VA patient, when you call back it's 45 mins just to chat with charming Fword lady. Second call, she put me through but only after I was told, "J Christ, you are a giant PITA!" The VA puts their best face forward.

rosarugosa
9-27-15, 6:51am
Wow Steve, my DH talks about the guys in the hats too, and they're often driving large, 8-cylinder American-made cars. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it makes it easier to spot them!

razz
9-27-15, 7:22am
Freshstart, loved the story of your 3 year old in church entertained by a light switch. Sat here and howled with understanding and amusement. Added a whole new view of Christmas to the proceedings

freshstart
9-27-15, 9:14am
Freshstart, loved the story of your 3 year old in church entertained by a light switch. Sat here and howled with understanding and amusement. Added a whole new view of Christmas to the proceedings

it was Christmas Eve Mass with a Pink Floyd light show!

CathyA
9-27-15, 11:27am
Just don't leave your kitchen sink water running to fill, to wash dishes and go check on your washing machine, just 12' away.......and go check out your dog barking at the back door, and then see the neat hornets eating on the watermelon slice you put out, then noticing the frogs in the pond, and then how your pole beans are doing and checking out the hummingbird feeders.........then mosey back inside........and see a waterfall coming over the sink, into cabinets and onto the floor. Don't do it.

frugalone
9-27-15, 5:01pm
I shall quote from a record by the great comic musician, Rev. Billy C. Wertz. These rules pertain to being on tour but I like to think of them as being useful in everyday life:

1. Don't skimp on tires.
2. When in doubt, order the club sandwich.
3. Never, ever predict the outcome of a gig.

jp1
9-28-15, 3:19pm
Dont set KFC on the counter and walk away if there are cats in the house. At least not if you want all of it to still be there.

Mary B.
9-28-15, 3:23pm
jp1, this reflects advice I am qualified to impart: Do not put food of any kind below the level that can be reached by a highly-motivated basset hound.

Additional advice: Never underestimate the elevation that a basset hound can achieve.

freshstart
9-28-15, 3:28pm
don't leave the enormous First Communion ham in the sink so brother's dog (15, blind, deaf, two hip surgeries, barely walks or barks) can't get it. If he got up there and got that huge ham down, he earned it

kib
9-29-15, 1:25pm
Don't take the muzzle off the cat, just don't.

- Ok, I'm kidding, but I just looked over at Bob's fishtank / water dish and he has made some unique additions this morning: a roll of sterile gauze, the stub of a movie ticket, and a pea pod. >8)

Float On
9-29-15, 1:40pm
freshstart....you have the best stories!

iris lily
9-29-15, 1:51pm
Dont set KFC on the counter and walk away if there are cats in the house. At least not if you want all of it to still be there.

This goes along with: don't leave a sack of groceries including a bag of expensive nuts in the car with a bulldog and no humans to supervise.

gimmethesimplelife
9-29-15, 2:52pm
Don't avail yourself of health care and or dental care in many foreign countries without expecting to come back and see how both are handled in the US very differently and in fact, not in any kind of positive light. Trust me on this one, I speak from experience. Rob

frugal-one
9-29-15, 2:59pm
Don't avail yourself of health care and or dental care in many foreign countries without expecting to come back and see how both are handled in the US very differently and in fact, not in any kind of positive light. Trust me on this one, I speak from experience. Rob

I would appreciate positives comments from you. You have nothing positive to say about the US. So why are you here?

pony mom
9-29-15, 8:49pm
Don't put your finger in a horse's mouth expecting him to suck off sweet sticky stuff without thinking your finger is a carrot (that he will clench in his teeth and attempt to bite in two).

Don't ever think that you're more important than an addict's drug of choice.

shadowmoss
9-29-15, 9:25pm
Frugal-one:

If you don't like what Rob says, don't read his posts.