PDA

View Full Version : Places to stay in London?

frugalone
10-5-15, 5:40pm
I'm planning a one-week trip to London for next spring, and being the frugal one, I'm trying to find a place that is inexpensive, clean, safe, friendly, near Tube stops. And trying to keep it all under $135.

On Rick Steves' travel board, I've been told that's durned near impossible in London. I'm looking at hotels, B&Bs, hostels, Airbnb (which sorta gives me the willies).

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, folks!

catherine
10-5-15, 5:48pm
Good luck in London! It's very expensive. Maybe sign up for Travelzoo or other sites that offer deals. Something might turn up since you have a few months.

Actually I looked at Expedia and just picked a week in May and found several between $100-$125/night:

https://www.expedia.com/Hotel-Search?#destination=London+(and+vicinity),+England ,+United+Kingdom&startDate=05/08/2016&endDate=05/14/2016&adults=2&regionId=178279&price=1&sort=recommended

frugalone
10-5-15, 6:22pm
Thank you, Catherine. I've been looking at various web sites and the amount of places to stay in London is nothing short of stupefying. First I look, then I check the ratings at tripadvisor. It's quite a challenge!

I've been to London 3x, and was lucky enough to stay with friends or have friends who found lodging for me. I never appreciated it at the time, but boy, do I ever now!

catherine
10-5-15, 6:25pm
That's the best part of business travel.. I travel, client pays. Of course, there's the issue of having to work all day in exchange for the airfare and hotel, but sometimes I get to enjoy.

kally
10-5-15, 6:34pm
if you are over 40 you might want to look in to The Affordable Travel Club. I have been in it for years and it is a magnificent deal.

frugalone
10-5-15, 6:42pm
What a great idea! I am over 40 but I cannot offer anyone a place to stay in exchange.

if you are over 40 you might want to look in to The Affordable Travel Club. I have been in it for years and it is a magnificent deal.

kally
10-5-15, 11:30pm
ah too bad frugalone. It is a great deal but you do have to have a guest room.

sbagirl
10-6-15, 12:29pm
I know it's not in downtown London but when I was in England in July, I spent a total of 8 nights at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow (3 nights before our group trip, then 5 nights at the end). It's very close to Heathrow Airport and there are free buses to/from Heathrow, where you can get the Tube. We had the full Edwardian breakfast each day (quite a feast!) but I'm not sure if that's included with each room or if it was part of the group package we had. There were a few other hotels along that stretch of road but not much in the way of restaurants or other amenities.

kally
10-6-15, 1:00pm
how about airbnb?

This is a fall booking, but you might find something.

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/6611663?checkin=20-10-2015&checkout=27-10-2015&guests=2&s=JLPM3rgf

frugalone
10-6-15, 2:07pm
I'll check them out. Thanks!

I'm a little disappointed. I emailed a sort-of-friend/pen pal who lives in outer London and told her I was coming. I asked her advice for a hotel/B&B and said I'd love to meet up with her. It's a weird situation--we were estranged for 27 years but recently became friends again through social media. I know she is a very busy working mom with a child at home, but I had hoped that after a couple of days, I'd have gotten an email saying, "Will get back to you on this; busy at the moment."

Maybe she feels uncomfortable with the idea of my coming to England again. Being friends on Facebook is one thing, but seeing each other again after nearly 3 decades is another. :)

kib
10-6-15, 2:14pm
oh, try www.booking.com (http://www.booking.com). They have amazingly cheap rates because they include everything from dorm rooms on up - sort by price after you put in the dates. I just found you a dorm bed for $17!

ETA: they also list regular hotels and private rooms in hostels, and give user feedback on all of it. Spotted a couple of places - single private room - near the subway for $55- $60 in April.

frugalone
10-7-15, 2:28pm
Thanks! While I'm all for cheap, I am not up for sharing a bathroom (I'm 51 years old), nor do I want to walk up multiple flights of stairs to my room. This is turning out to be quite a challenge.

Kib, could you tell me which Tube stops you found single private rooms near? (bad grammar; apologies)

kib
10-7-15, 10:51pm
You'll have to try filtering on the site. They say "subway access" right under the name of the hotel if they're in walking distance of a tube stop, you'd have to look up the hotel address or the map to see which one. You can filter for some things like neighborhood if you know where you want to be. Then you can order them by recommended places or by price, and then start looking at more specific details to see if you can find what you want. Beechcroft Guesthouse, for example, is near a tube stop, and has a single studio that's basically a full service apartment on the ground floor with a private bath, $129.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/golders-green-apartments.html?label=gen173nr-15CAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmcgV1c19heogBAZgBMbgBBMgB BNgBA-gBAfgBAg;sid=cab8e16baadc7ace1c2d8e014203e356;dcid =1;checkin=2016-04-12;checkout=2016-04-13;dist=0;group_adults=1;group_children=0;no_rooms =1;room1=A;sb_price_type=total;srfid=abf713db5801b 3dcd8c3b1016a24d0756d710738X1;type=total;ucfs=1&

frugalone
10-8-15, 12:51pm
Thank you, I will do that!