PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina

Tiam
10-6-15, 1:20am
A different kind of preparedness. Bug out bags, money and a boat.

Williamsmith
10-6-15, 6:55am
I was thinking about how sometimes we think we are so independent and prepared and something like this happens to show you how much at the mercy of others you really are. So think about having stored up say a years worth of survival food and equipment and along comes this torrent of flood waters and sweeps it all away. I've always believed in preparedness but having a diverse network of friends is priority number one.

This is going to cost us all though even if we live a thousand miles away. Insurance and tax dollars. Don't think the insurance bigwigs are going to tighten their belts any because of their misfortune. It's all going to get passed on to us. That's the beauty of capitalism. We all get to share in the bailout.

rodeosweetheart
10-6-15, 9:08am
When I had property in South Carolina near the beach, both times the insurance costs priced me out of my home. I'm not sure what you are talking about here, Tiam, but when I lived in islands is South Carolina, most of the people were what you would probably call lower middle class, and many went without any insurance on their houses, if their family had been there for some time (historically Black community).
It was a shame to have to leave, but I can't afford the insurance, and could not afford flood insurance.
I doubt the ratio of really rich to everybody else is any different in South Carolina, and many, many people will lose their homes from this mess. Not to mention the danger to rescue workers-- up in Columbia, a death related to the flooding:
http://www.wtoc.com/story/30184672/scdot-employee-dies-from-flood-waters

Most people don't want to leave their homes, especially where they have lived for generations.

Tiam
10-8-15, 1:16am
Simple question: On the topic of prepping. What would be the best form of prepping in this scenario?

bae
10-8-15, 3:08am
Simple question: On the topic of prepping. What would be the best form of prepping in this scenario?

Don't live there in the first place.
Build on high ground.
Build flood-resistant structures.
Weather alert radios, with the proper county/region codes programmed in.
Evacuate early.
Copies of important data/documents off-site, ahead of time.
Evacuation plan worked out ahead of time.
Financial resources out-of-region, ahead of time.
If you think you may be stuck in the area, a means of purifying water, dealing with sanitation, and the other usual things.

Flooding is so horrid though that really you just want to get the heck out of Dodge, and do it while you can still have some control over the circumstances of your evacuation.

Don't be these people:

http://kieladrianscott.com/core/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/katrina_survivors2.jpg

http://s3.amazonaws.com/static.texastribune.org/media/images/Katrina-Survivors-In-Dome_jpg_800x1000_q100.jpg

Williamsmith
10-8-15, 6:13am
A mobile plan that is based on simplicity. You want to be forewarned. Communication. Light on security. Diverse in your options on where to go. Not invested greatly in one area. A plan to return and clean up. A stockpile of anything you can't easily move is worthless. That includes food and guns and bullets. Being a scavenger is preferable to being a hoarder. My opinion.

flowerseverywhere
10-8-15, 7:16am
Read this blog
http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/

Written by someone who who lost everything in Katrina.

Don't live below sea level or on the bank of a river that routinely overflows. Or on a sand barrier. Have flood insurance.

Keep your gas tank at least half full. Pumps don't work without electricity . Have a few cans in the garage in case you have to evacuate.
keep a stash of money in you house, car and on your person. small bills and coins. ATMs might run out or not work
keep copies of all your documents in a safety deposit box. My kids have copies in their safety deposit boxes far away from us
have working radio, flashlight, camp stove, water purifier that you can easily get to.

Evacuate early. Be as physically fit as you can. Work with you MD to have extra melds on hand, even if you have to pay for a few months supply. If the roads are out pharmacies cannot be re supplied.
Know basic first aid. Have basic first aid supplies in a portable kit.

I think think in SC the situation was similar to Irene hitting some inland areas. Very unpredictable.

Tussiemussies
10-8-15, 2:58pm
I heard some good advice...that these people involved and the homeowners should get tetanus (sp?) shots....

Such a horrible thing to happen to these people....was it declared a state of emergency?

ctg492
3-17-16, 6:32pm
Is Spartanburg SC an area to be wary of for storms?

rodeosweetheart
3-17-16, 6:34pm
Not usually, ctg492, it's upstate and pretty mild, climate wise.

ctg492
3-17-16, 6:49pm
Thank you. I am going to be spending time in Spartanburg for a year or so and I guess it never crossed my mind of anything severe, then this past week they had terrible hail. I researched the rain they get it is 4 + a month. Temp averages were not to extreme.