PDA

View Full Version : Car dilemma...any suggestions , please.

Tulips
10-23-15, 10:21pm
I was rear ended by a teen 2 weeks ago. His insurance adjuster said it would cost over $ 11,000 to fix my 2010 Honda CRV. Blue book says it's worth 12500. I'm not sure if I should get it fixed or use it towards another car. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Tulips
10-23-15, 10:42pm
What would you do ?

bae
10-23-15, 10:50pm
Depends on many variables. Do you have $$$ to buy a different vehicle? Do you trust this one to be repaired properly? Do you like this particular vehicle, or is there something better for your needs that you can afford?

Personally, I'd ditch the CRV as soon as I could, at least if I needed 4WD, it's a piece of dishonest junk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo

Williamsmith
10-24-15, 4:54am
My wife drives a ford escape in NWPA....over 100 inches of snow per year. No problems. Seems to be a problem with Honda CRV s. Subaru and Jeep have reliable history with 4WD. Teen did you a favor.

lessisbest
10-24-15, 5:42am
I would take the money and purchase another vehicle. You should be able to get something for the CR-V from a scrap shop to add to the insurance money. The value of the CR-V will be much lower, because of the extensive damage and repairs, than the Blue Book value even after it is repaired. You will lose a lot of the trade-in value due to the repairs.

Tulips
10-24-15, 7:54am
Wow...thank for your quick and helpful replies...I think I will put the money towards a Kia Soul or Prius . I love these Forums !!!

Tulips
10-24-15, 8:01am
That video is very interesting and informative Bae. Thanks for sharing that. It really isn't 4w drive...you are right...dishonest junk !!!

Tulips
10-24-15, 3:32pm
I just bought a Kia Soul today but for some reason I'm having buyers regret...I'm wierd. I think I just hate cars.

Tammy
10-24-15, 3:47pm
I understand. I'd rather live car free but the closest I can get to that is my SO and I share one vehicle, he works 2 blocks from work and I work 2 miles from work and we bike when we can. I never feel happy when spending money on a vehicle.

Tulips
10-24-15, 5:06pm
Hi Tammy, I think I hate cars the same way I hate glasses.

iris lilies
10-24-15, 6:36pm
I'm weird. I love cars and glasses.

rosarugosa
10-24-15, 7:16pm
I love glasses (I can see!), but I'm pretty indifferent about cars, other than start=good, no start=bad, low expense=good, high expense=bad. My 1.5 year old car is black because that was cheapest. There was a green color I really liked, but it would have cost $1000 more, so I told myself I could always get a sweater that color if I wanted to (which I have resisted doing).