PDA

View Full Version : Interesting round table question at my IRL minimalist meeting

Ultralight
10-28-15, 11:42am
This past Sunday I went to my monthly minimalist meeting. We discussed challenges we're facing and such.

Then I posited a slightly different question.

I asked: What has being a minimalist given you the time or wherewithal to do that you could not do in your formerly complicated and cluttered lives?

Responses:

The most common: "I am not there yet. Life is still too cluttered." (Some folks have been minimizing for a year or two)
A typical answer: "I have been able to travel much more and go on adventures."
Another typical answer: "I have more time to waste on silly stuff."

Obviously I paraphrased and consolidated multiple responses. But these were the three threads that wove together the answers to this question.

Thoughts?

bae
10-28-15, 12:08pm
Seems to me that "being a minimalist" is just another self-imposed burden to carry though life. Free yourself from distractions.

ApatheticNoMore
10-28-15, 12:09pm
I would imagine they might save time cleaning :)

The most common: "I am not there yet. Life is still too cluttered." (Some folks have been minimizing for a year or two)

maybe they have not made much progress on their clutter which is unfortunate I suppose .... AND/OR maybe they are playing some kind of "if then"/"when then" game, it's similar to someone who says "when I lose weight THEN I'll do all the other things I want to do" or in this case "when I declutter then life begins". In that case: be here now, your life is now.

A typical answer: "I have been able to travel much more and go on adventures."

how is this an improvement? What is the carbon impact of travel compared to buying stuff if retail addiction was their problem? (of course if it never was their problem but clutter still tended to accumulate then whatever). Probably more carbon impact to travel a lot than buy stuff. Of course this depends, whether travel is planes or Amtrak, drive two hours away to the mountains or fly across the world etc. and so does buying stuff is it new or thrifted etc.. They seem like people unclear on the concept of really WANTING LESS (of all material things, not of love or something :))

Another typical answer: "I have more time to waste on silly stuff."

well that's their choice I suppose.

Ultralight
10-28-15, 12:13pm
Seems to me that "being a minimalist" is just another self-imposed burden to carry though life. Free yourself from distractions.

Can you clarify?

Ultralight
10-28-15, 12:14pm
I would imagine they might save time cleaning :)

maybe they have not made much progress on their clutter which is unfortunate I suppose .... AND/OR maybe they are playing some kind of "if then" game, it's similar to someone who says "when I lose weight THEN I'll do all the other things I want to do" or in this case "when I declutter then life begins". In that case: be here now, your life is now.

how is this an improvement? What is the carbon impact of travel compared to buying stuff if retail addiction was their problem? (of course if it never was their problem but clutter still tended to accumulate then whatever). Probably more carbon impact to travel a lot than buy stuff. Of course this depends, whether travel is planes or Amtrak, drive two hours away to the mountains or fly across the world etc. and so does buying stuff is it new or thrifted etc.. They seem like people unclear on the concept of really WANTING LESS (of all material things, not of love or something :))

well that's their choice I suppose.

What's interesting is this: The most adventurous of the adventurers said he was coming to a realization that it was all too much.

Williamsmith
10-28-15, 4:42pm
I would hope being minimalist would free me up from attending stupid monthly meetings.

iris lilies
10-28-15, 5:07pm
I would hope being minimalist would free me up from attending stupid monthly meetings.
Haha, that was my first thought as well.

My one rule about joining organizations is this: No monthly meetings.

I I broke the rule for a recent join up, but otherwise it all of my volunteer efforts never involve a monthly meeting.

The Lily Society, Bulldog Rescue, community garden, and committees for my neighborhood are where I volunteer and they do not have monthly meetings, they have events scheduled throughout the year.

Ultralight
10-28-15, 5:12pm
Well, to zing you both, we minimalists in this group look forward to and enjoy the meetings! It is fun.

williamsmith and iris lilies, you remember fun, don't you? ;)

Sometimes it involves getting together with like-minded folks and having some good conversation, some laughs, and maybe some tea.

iris lilies
10-28-15, 5:23pm
Well, to zing you both, we minimalists in this group look forward to and enjoy the meetings! It is fun.

williamsmith and iris lilies, you remember fun, don't you? ;)

Sometimes it involves getting together with like-minded folks and having some good conversation, some laughs, and maybe some tea.
You were very nice not to deck me for my snarky remark.

sure the socializing is fine, but I will guarantee you that stronger bonds are formed when humans work together. That's what we learned in all of the volunteer projects we've done over the years.

Your minimalist group might be nice, but do you all DO anything besides yak? :~)

I seem to find a fair number of like minded people in gardening groups. Now, they will not be as ultra minimalist as you, UL! But they tend to not be very interested in massive consumer consumption.

i am not minimalist, but I like to think that I thoughtfully reflect on the value of each purchase before making it in order to see if it enhances my life. I never make a purchase to keep up,with the Joneses, and DH doesn't even know what the Joneses are buying.

Williamsmith
10-28-15, 6:01pm
Substitute alcohol for the tea and you have a trip to the local bar. Cheers. Or some coffee and you might have a church bible study.

Ultralight
10-28-15, 9:20pm
You were very nice not to deck me for my snarky remark.

sure the socializing is fine, but I will guarantee you that stronger bonds are formed when humans work together. That's what we learned in all of the volunteer projects we've done over the years.

Your minimalist group might be nice, but do you all DO anything besides yak? :~)

I seem to find a fair number of like minded people in gardening groups. Now, they will not be as ultra minimalist as you, UL! But they tend to not be very interested in massive consumer consumption.

i am not minimalist, but I like to think that I thoughtfully reflect on the value of each purchase before making it in order to see if it enhances my life. I never make a purchase to keep up,with the Joneses, and DH doesn't even know what the Joneses are buying.

Snark is fine! lol
I don't take things too serious...usually!

I have thought more about the working together. I have done some outside of meeting stuff with the Minis. We checked out/toured a tiny house, went on walks in the parks, took bike rides, etc. Though I agree. I think we'd be closer -- tighter knit -- if we did some real project together.

Ultralight
10-28-15, 9:20pm
Substitute alcohol for the tea and you have a trip to the local bar. Cheers. Or some coffee and you might have a church bible study.

We just meet at a Panera. I get a perrier sometimes. haha

jp1
10-28-15, 11:13pm
Snark is fine! lol
I don't take things too serious...usually!

I have thought more about the working together. I have done some outside of meeting stuff with the Minis. We checked out/toured a tiny house, went on walks in the parks, took bike rides, etc. Though I agree. I think we'd be closer -- tighter knit -- if we did some real project together.

Perhaps for a project you could go to each other's houses and help throw stuff out.

/snark

iris lilies
10-29-15, 12:06am
Perhaps for a project you could go to each other's houses and help throw stuff out.

/snark
Actually, that's not a bad idea. Someone might need help deck uttering. While members of the group,don't have to,toss the stuff, they could be there as consultants, or as cheerleaders, to help people in their group tackle the hard stuff.

Or, UL's group could visit a member's house and that member could talk about the stuff he keeps, and why.

Or people could meet at the usual,place and bring items they keep, items that seem silly to keep and tell why they keep these items. same for things to be rid of, bring the thing they will next toss out and tell,why.

maybe the group.already does this.

TVRodriguez
11-2-15, 4:20pm
We just meet at a Panera. I get a perrier sometimes. haha

Hahahaha. This made me chuckle. Thanks for the smile.

Although the other ideas posted by jp1 and iris lillies sound like good ones for this group.