PDA

View Full Version : fall computer clean up

Zoe Girl
11-1-15, 11:31am
I have a small notebook with all my passwords, totally essential for what I do. I also have a bright colored notecard with all my work passwords and my staff knows if anything happened to me that would be the way to function and have access to the multiple things needed for the job. I have 15 work related passwords and 3 phones that need a message password. I try to keep them very similar but not always possible. Personally, I lost track. There are at least 6 related to my work with my Buddhist teacher and retreats work, then all the financial/personal business ones, then the social media and connecting like the multiple email accounts. Whew.

So it is interesting the change in my password 'tones' over the years. I was in a negative place when I set many of them up, then went into a positive affirmation style, and a clever joke style. I am feeling like changing many of these to accommodate not having a personal laptop that is in good shape. So all the email accounts be the same one or all the Buddhist group ones the same, and then save the more secure ones for financial accounts and have all of those different for higher security.

Anyway, do other people clean up all their passwords in this way ever?

iris lilies
11-1-15, 11:43am
You are a goddess of organization and I bow to you! Not being sarcastic here.

This winter, one of my MANY computer projects is to record, again, all passwords,. I will probably change my standard password everywhere while I'm at it.

It it irritates me no end that various applications have different rules for setting passwords.Capital letters and symbols seem to be required most places now,but the length required and length allowed varies. I can't use the same password on all sites.

jp1
11-1-15, 1:05pm
It it irritates me no end that various applications have different rules for setting passwords.Capital letters and symbols seem to be required most places now,but the length required and length allowed varies. I can't use the same password on all sites.

Nor should you use the same password everywhere. Especially for important things like banking. When LinkedIn got hacked a couple of years ago all the hackers got were usernames and passwords. Not a big deal except for people who use the same ones everywhere.

Personally I use a password vault called Keepass. It generates random passwords, stores them securely and all I have to do is copy/paste the password whenever I need it. I only need to remember the password to get into the vault.

Chicken lady
11-1-15, 3:40pm
Before my dad retired, his company made them change their office password every month, no repeats. He has six grandchildren. So he solved this by setting the password to "year, month, name of first grandchild, then the next month was year, month, name of second grandchild. Everybody on his staff knew the grandkid's names and birth order!

iris lily
11-1-15, 3:53pm
Nor should you use the same password everywhere. Especially for important things like banking. When LinkedIn got hacked a couple of years ago all the hackers got were usernames and passwords. Not a big deal except for people who use the same ones everywhere.

Personally I use a password vault called Keepass. It generates random passwords, stores them securely and all I have to do is copy/paste the password whenever I need it. I only need to remember the password to get into the vault.
That's a good tip and naive I will look into Keepass.

We don't use the sane passwords for banking that we use for other stuff, but some of the other stuff
ISFinancially sensitive, such as PayPal.

SteveinMN
11-1-15, 9:13pm
I use 1Password, which is a product that competes with Keepass (and LastPass and Dashlane and Kaspersky and [...]). It's very easy to use, syncs between my MacBook and iPhone (and could work with a Windows or Android device, too). I'm at the point now where I actually don't know my passwords. 1Password keeps weird strings like ""ip<vot#nev;O" for each site and all I have to remember is one password to get into the program. I can't recommend highly enough using a password manager. 1Password costs money, Keepass is free, and the others fall somewhere along that line. But each of them offers pluses and minuses over the others.

ToomuchStuff
11-3-15, 1:55pm
Personally, I am not that big of a fan of using passwords sites that I don't control. I would rather use some sort of open source password generation software and encrypt the file that contains them with a remember-able password to access them.
One reason why:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/lastpass-password-security-site-hacked/