PDA

View Full Version : Quality products

TxZen
11-3-15, 2:12pm
A little over a month ago, I purchased these boots.

http://www.thefryecompany.com/harness-12r-belted-wide/d/8725001C23566S95095?quantity=1

They are my second pair from Frye. My first pair I had lasted me 8 years and would have lasted longer, had I not somehow lost them in a move. I am big believer in quality over quantity.

I had a gift card to Zappos and I found them for $65 less than the website and I could not be happier. I am in love..they are comfortable. I have worn them in water, flooding, heat, to the fair, to school and they are fantastic.

Any shout outs for your favorite products that are quality? Thanks.

jp1
11-3-15, 2:16pm
My Ll bean rollie suitcase. I travel a LOT for work. I've had this suitcase for 3 years now and it still looks and acts like brand new. Hopefully it will last until I retire.

Ultralight
11-3-15, 2:28pm
Yesterday I bought new shoes. I got some Red Wings Oxfords. They were about $200, though I got $20 off for some deal. In the end I paid $180.

The shoes seem really strong, they look nice for work, and they are made in 'Merka!

My dad had some Red Wings for like 35 years.

I am hoping I can get 10 years out of these shoes.

The hunks of clunk I got a Target only lasted me about two years. And I was gluing and taping them back together periodically. They were so leaky and shabby I threw them away. Also, the smell of rubber cement on them gave me a headache. haha

rodeosweetheart
11-3-15, 2:40pm
My Tissot watch I got for 25 dollars on ebay.
My Singer featherweight.
Mrs. Meyer hand soap.
Clinique moisturizer.

bekkilyn
11-3-15, 5:15pm
My Swatch watch.

pony mom
11-3-15, 6:25pm
I typically buy paddock-style riding boots (ankle high w/laces) from a company called Ariat. Their shoes are designed for women's feet and are comfy right out of the box; they also make really nice streetwear styles. They usually cost $200 or a bit less on sale and my current pair are about 9 years old. They are finally splitting along the crease on top. They live in my car, occasionally get wiped down but are kept away from mud and water. I use other boots in the winter.

I'd never spend so much on everyday shoes but have no problem buying these. Last year i bought a zip-syle pair on consignment for $40 to replace my old boots when they die, but I wore them everywhere else instead.

SteveinMN
11-3-15, 9:39pm
I have a Baratza coffee grinder that has been in daily use for four years that I love. Aside from the great job it does grinding beans, it's made in the U.S. and pretty much every single part can be replaced if needed. Baratza even upgraded some of the components and made those available for customers with older grinders. All this for their entry-level grinder.

A coffee grinder may not be quite as indispensable as a great pair of boots. But it does make starting the day more enjoyable and, after years of disposable grinders that did a crummy job when they did work, the notion of one which will be useful for at least another couple of decades has lots of appeal.

catherine
11-4-15, 6:02am
I LOVE my Miele vacuum cleaner. We used to use Hoovers or any other cheap vacuum, but I got tired of the poor quality, so when it came time to replace the last one, I looked around and found the Miele. It was FAR from the Electrolux or Kirby price tag (I bought the cheapest in the line, and I think I paid $275 at the time) but it is so great. It's small, light, quiet, and has good power and flexibility. It's just all-around high quality. The bags are so nice I always try to do an Amy D thing and empty them manually and reuse them because they're cloth and very durable.

SiouzQ.
11-4-15, 8:26am
Love your boots! I have had a pair like that (not Frye, some no-name brand I bought for about $100) that I have been wearing for at least 15 years! I finally got them re-heeled a few years ago, and I wear them A LOT!

Another shoe note, I just replaced my 15 year old Dansko clogs - the suckers wouldn't wear out, so I couldn't justify buying another pair just because I was sick of the basic black ones. They finally bit the dust this summer when I was wearing only the right shoe because I had the walking cast on my left leg. The heel started falling apart in weird black chunks, but still, fifteen years is amazing. And I wore those quite a lot too!

JaneV2.0
11-4-15, 9:16am
I have a Krups coffee grinder and a Mr. Coffee machine that have both lasted at least thirty years. I buy replacement carafes at thrift stores. I had a pair of Crocs (oh, go ahead and laugh) that I wore for eight years at least. I finally replaced them when the tread was no more than a shadow. They're still wearable. I have a set of stoneware that will not die; they look like service for eight at the boarding house. I also have a vintage Bernina and two Featherweights that are worth their weight in gold.

TxZen
11-4-15, 9:18am
I love crocs. I have worn them in the garden, walking the dogs, wore them after knee surgery and I love you can just hose 'em off and keep going. :)

Tulips
11-4-15, 7:33pm
I don't own anything that I really love...what does that mean ?:confused:

I have things I find useful however.

ApatheticNoMore
11-4-15, 7:38pm
I don't own anything that I really love...what does that mean ?

that you don't buy things :). No, I don't really know what it means, maybe. I don't own a coffee grinder, a pair of boots, a vacuum cleaner, a suitcase, or a watch. My car is one thing I like I guess. I do tend to pay a bit for shoes (like $100 more or less) but even then, made in the U.S. etc., they don't last forever, so I don't think my luck has been all that great there.

Gardenarian
11-4-15, 8:01pm
A few of my favorite things:

Lodge carbon steel skillet
Corelle Just White dishes
Dr. Bronner's liquid soap (I love the naturally scented lavender for laundry)
Specialized brand bicycle
Bon Ami cleansing powder
Tick Tock organic rooibos tea
Keen Targhee hiking boots
Smartwool socks
Eco-i-lite rechargeable flashlight/ emergency / night light
DeWalt drill
Birkenstock sandals

I inherited a few down comforters from "the Company store" and they seem to be holding up well (I've only had them three years.)

iris lilies
11-6-15, 11:27am
I couldn't think of anything to add until I lost my favorite pair of scissors yesterday. They are about 5" and are sewing scissors I've had for 20 years. They were always sharp. I used them to cut my hair and on art projects.

I remember buying them and paying a lot, for me.
I don't know the manufacturer but am hoping the replacement pair I ordered late last night are as good. Meanwhile perhaps those original scissors will turn up.

iris lilies
11-6-15, 11:29am
I love crocs. I have worn them in the garden, walking the dogs, wore them after knee surgery and I love you can just hose 'em off and keep going. :)

i once walked 1.5 miles in faux crocs. Had a flat tire unexpectedly. I wouldn't have walked if my shoes were not comfortable, and I was amazed at how well they worked for that trek. The real crocs must be pretty nice.

Float On
11-6-15, 12:28pm
My Swatch watch.

Oh, I loved swatch watches in the mid-late 80's. All the bright colors and fun patterns. I went stealth swatch with the all black one. Sadly, stolen from my dorm room in '87.

freshstart
11-6-15, 12:29pm
+1 Dansko clogs, I have some I bought when pregnant with DS 19 yrs ago, they will not die!

this will sound really bad- I love down comforters and will only buy them at a few places when they are on a great sale. Cuddledown is one of them. They were having a sale and I noticed a one off that originally cost over 3k, for $700, it sounded amazing, I called to ask about it. it was made for this Russian guy who would be researching in Siberia, he lost the job and canceled the World's Best Comforter. He was going to use it in neg degrees, I used it in my house. The fabric was stunning. So full of down it was heavy in a good way. It is truly the nicest thing I ever owned. I took it to a specialty dry cleaner, I explained how expensive it was, please be careful and to DRY clean it. I got it back, so heavy I could not lift it. The owner opened it on the counter, it was soaked and full of mold, even he said it was ruined yet not their fault of course, he actually expected payment. There's a consumer dry cleaning association that took my claim, Cuddledown had kept the receipt for over 7 yrs (I had not) so I had proof how expensive it was and I had the dry cleaning receipt that said "DRY CLEAN" right on it. So I won. $180 bucks, sob, I wanted my one of a kind comforter back.

I was visiting the outlet once and they always have the same guy working there. I told him I needed a new duvet, my perfect one had been killed. Then I explained it, he goes, "OMG, your the lady who bought that? No one could figure out how on earth you could sleep under something made for the arctic. Weren't you hot?" Not one bit. So he helped me find a mediocre one that had I never seen the $700 one, I would've thought was the best thing ever.

My latest is from The Company Store, it's fine, I don't think it's near the quality of Cuddledown.

I know $700 sounds obscene but I had it for 7 yrs, I would've had it for probably 20 years or more, Europeans keep them that long.

Percale Peacock Alley sheets on clearance at Sierra Trading or Tuesday morning.

Tervis tumblers in the 24 oz size. Double walls keep drinks hot or cold for so long it's surprising. A med they put me on makes me drink like crazy. So the size is perfect. Lifetime warranty

a buttery soft leather purse designed just the way I want it at the price of a non-leather purse or at at least a reasonable amount, that I will carry for years and years. haven't found this yet, lol. Leather has really gone up in price.

JaneV2.0
11-6-15, 12:51pm
I fell in love with down sleeping under my grandmother's silk covered eiderdown her family lugged all the way from Germany when they emigrated. Now I sleep with a down blanket (lighter weight than a comforter) and a weightless microfiber fluff blanket. I add cotton and wool layers as needed. Even if it's freezing out, I never heat my bedroom.

TJ Maxx (some locations, anyway) has an impressive selection of leather bags, many imported from Italy--another of my weaknesses...

catherine
11-6-15, 1:06pm
this will sound really bad- I love down comforters and will only buy them at a few places when they are on a great sale. Cuddledown is one of them.

I know $700 sounds obscene but I had it for 7 yrs, I would've had it for probably 20 years or more, Europeans keep them that long.

freshstart, I know you are not a spender, so I'm not judging you, but, in general, I don't get the expensive bedding thing. My BIL worked at ABC Carpet in NYC, and he served all kinds of celebrities who would come in and say things like, "let's get that set of sheets" and when they rang up at $4500 (of course they didn't ask the price before hand), they'd say, why don't we get a spare set?"

If I had all the money in the world, I don't know if I would consider extremely expensive bedding worth it. I sleep fine on my $20/set Marshall's purchase. I buy Primaloft down alternative comforters at $40 on sale (I actually found my last one at Target for $25 on clearance) and I'm TOTALLY fine with them. Maybe it's a case of, as my son says, "a luxury once tasted becomes a necessity." IDK, God save me from tasting those luxuries!

What I need to do is spend $700 on a new mattress.. I haven't had a new one in 15 years.

freshstart
11-6-15, 2:34pm
it's a disease, I found dirt cheap high quality percale sheets for about $20 before I had kids and they were so great, that started me off. That duvet was a once in a lifetime purchase for me, I was married and had not asked for bday and Xmas gifts in years so I felt guilty but that eased the pain.

I do not spend like that. Thank God, I have friends that spend like that all the time, and don't bat an eye. Spending lots of money, even if I have enough to do so, makes me feel guilty. Catholic thing? IDK, but that guilt made me save like a fiend, so it's a good thing.

A new mattress is a necessity IMO after so many years. I had an old mattress and had horrible hip pain (I sleep on my side). I happened to realize how old the mattress was, got a new one, I have not had hip pain since. I was ready to go see ortho it hurt so much.

freshstart
11-6-15, 2:52pm
Oh, I loved swatch watches in the mid-late 80's. All the bright colors and fun patterns. I went stealth swatch with the all black one. Sadly, stolen from my dorm room in '87.

they bring back memories! Do they even make them anymore?

freshstart
11-6-15, 2:53pm
I fell in love with down sleeping under my grandmother's silk covered eiderdown her family lugged all the way from Germany when they emigrated.

TJ Maxx (some locations, anyway) has an impressive selection of leather bags, many imported from Italy--another of my weaknesses...

that's cool that they brought it here

purses are a weakness but I buy ones under $30, they aren't so hot but feed the weakness, I should just get one good one and stop buying crap. Thanks for the TJ Maxx tip.

JaneV2.0
11-6-15, 4:20pm
$700 only sounds like a lot because that clueless drycleaner ruined it; if you had been able to keep it for the years and years it would probably have lasted, your cost per wear would have been minimal.

I have no hard and fast rules about purchases, which range from thrifted (some of my very favorite things) to bought at discount retailers, to the rare high(ish) end item (Vitamix). I find the main determinant of value varies among delight, durability, and value. Sometimes I'm disappointed (the Stir-Crazy popper with plastic gears that fell apart after four uses) and sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised.

iris lilies
11-6-15, 4:25pm
My dogs occasionally pee in my bed. So that keeps me from buying any expensive bedding. I can't have anything nice due to them!

I don't know why it's a bulldog thing, but it is. It started with my first bulldog 22 years ago and continues. Not all of them do it, but enough of them do it. They are staking out their territory.

catherine
11-6-15, 4:45pm
it's a disease, I found dirt cheap high quality percale sheets for about $20 before I had kids and they were so great, that started me off. That duvet was a once in a lifetime purchase for me, I was married and had not asked for bday and Xmas gifts in years so I felt guilty but that eased the pain.

I do not spend like that. Thank God, I have friends that spend like that all the time, and don't bat an eye. Spending lots of money, even if I have enough to do so, makes me feel guilty. Catholic thing? IDK, but that guilt made me save like a fiend, so it's a good thing.

Yeah, I get the Catholic guilt thing.. and please don't feel you have to make excuses for your purchase. As Jane said, the true cost over time I'm sure made it a reasonable purchase. I just haven't experienced the difference between $20 bedding and expensive bedding, but then again, I've never slept on really expensive sheets or comforters.

I agree with the mattress purchase: it's just that I have so much darned debt it's hard to justify $1000 purchase. When I get an unexpected project I always say, "OK, I didn't expect this income, so let me just buy the mattress" and then I just never do.

KayLR
11-6-15, 5:43pm
Cir. 1977 Sears sewing machine. It's a boat anchor, but I use it regularly and never have had a problem with it. I do have it maintained regularly.
An Eddie Bauer backpack I received in 2002. Still in great shape (nearly new) after daily use over 2 years, then off and on since.
I have a Phillips Motorola clock radio I've owned since 1976. It's been in use continually and nothing is wrong with it. A couple buttons are sticky, but they still work.
I've used the same antiperspirant since my new mother-in-law first suggested I try it --- Mitchum's. It works and they never fiddle with it.

catherine
11-6-15, 6:13pm
Cir. 1977 Sears sewing machine. It's a boat anchor, but I use it regularly and never have had a problem with it. I do have it maintained regularly.

OMG, I must have the same machine. I was married in January 1977, and for our first Christmas, DH bought me a Kenmore sewing machine! I still have mine.

pony mom
11-6-15, 7:56pm
I can easily get used to more expensive, higher quality things. Luckily those kinds of things were bought on consignment or in thrift stores. From $250 German riding britches for $18 to Danskos for $7.50. Now I'm working my way to goats milk soap and occasionally eating 72-85% dark chocolate (not used, of course).

The funny thing is that I don't need to have a large quantity of these better things. It's like when you have it, you're done, the search is over.

lessisbest
11-7-15, 6:51am
I have a Krups coffee grinder and a Mr. Coffee machine that have both lasted at least thirty years. I buy replacement carafes at thrift stores. I had a pair of Crocs (oh, go ahead and laugh) that I wore for eight years at least. I finally replaced them when the tread was no more than a shadow. They're still wearable. I have a set of stoneware that will not die; they look like service for eight at the boarding house. I also have a vintage Bernina and two Featherweights that are worth their weight in gold.

I won't laugh at your Crocs.... My really old ones get used as slippers or garden clogs. I loved Crocs. Before that I wore a pair of Birkenstocks for 20-years and had them resoled once.

freshstart
11-7-15, 8:21am
I had Mary Jane style crocs that I wore while running errands and a pair of regular ones, my mother and DD thought they looked horrible, they actually would hide them. DD not realizing it is my role as mom to embarrass her in public, I wore them all the more (I really like the Mary Janes). So we were at BJs in a downpour, we ran out to the car, me taking a short cut through what looked like a patch of mulch. Well, it was mud and when I leapt across it, one leg landed in it and I sunk almost to my knee! I pulled and pulled but with nothing to grab onto (because DD was in the car pretending the crazy lady did not belong to her), I was stuck. This nice man (wearing crocs) saw what happened and helped pull me out, sans Mary Jane croc. We could not even see it. He offered to dig in to get it, but since it was probably almost 2 feet under, I, mortally embarrassed, said no. I was soaked by this point, dripping mud and this kind, handsome gentleman asked if I wanted to go have a coffee. Having only one shoe on and still embarrassed, I said no thanks. DD was mad that I turned him down. But really sit covered in mud, soaking wet at Starbucks with one shoe on? no thanks, I have his number that I will never call, lol.

DD and Dmom love that humiliating story and tell it far and wide. They have hidden my regular crocs, which do not work well for me since they are so wide, but they are good for errands and chores. DD left a ransom note, I can't have them back, but if i stop wearing clogs of any type (even my good ones, like Dansko!) they will take me to lunch and buy me a new pair of "normal" people shoes. I did not succumb since I wear Mary Jane Birkenstocks almost every day. I don't care if clogs are fashion-less, I already have pairs of normal shoes and I'll buy my own damn lunch, lol. And they don't know it, I have a winter pair that I have hidden from them!

TxZen
11-7-15, 9:46am
I won't laugh at your Crocs.... My really old ones get used as slippers or garden clogs. I loved Crocs. Before that I wore a pair of Birkenstocks for 20-years and had them resoled once.

I laugh at shoes because I, too, have these Birkenstocks..and I LOVE THEM!!!

http://www.zappos.com/birkenstock-arizona-birko-flor-black-birko-flor

I needed "flip flops" with more support so I upgraded to these and I could not be happier. Hubby calls them my hippie shoes but I don't care. I can walk miles with them on and I love the simplicity of them.

JaneV2.0
11-7-15, 10:16am
Amen, sisters. I have Doc Martens and Birkenstocks and a small collection of clogs, besides my Crocs and Clarks. I like my shoes to be comfortable, and as long as they're attractive by my (loose) standards, I'm OK. As a result, I don't have problems with my feet.

freshstart
11-7-15, 1:04pm
my Doc boots and Mary Janes I got in junior year of HS and they still look like new and it's been almost 30 yrs, the soles have not been worn down one bit. The boots are perfect for stomping through patient's unplowed driveways and after years of doing that, the leather still looks great. Granted they haven't seen much use in the past few years.

I just googled my Mary Jane Birks, just in case I need a back up, DISCONTINUED! Ack! They are Birki floris or whatever the vegan ones are called and they come in crazy patterns, mine were just a gray "suede" with a pretty vine pattern. Went with anything, weren't bulky, kind of girly. Off to search eBay. But hopefully the ones I have are truly built for life.

I wore comfortable shoes since being a nurse and being on my feet a lot. I had one job for two years where it was expected that you dressed up and wore a very nice flat but heels were preferred. As if it was any special job where a nurse would not dress like a nurse. Then I got to hospice, everyone wore Birks, and no one shaved their legs. I didn't go that crunchy but I was finally among my people. I think wearing quality comfort shoes kept me from getting a lot of foot and back problems many nurses get.

Gardenarian
11-7-15, 3:03pm
they bring back memories! Do they even make them anymore?

Most airports have a Swatch store, which always surprises me. I have an old Swatch - gigantic, multicolor thing. Just sitting in my jewelry box.

freshstart
11-7-15, 4:07pm
scoured the internet, I am so sad, the only Birks in that style and my size are on Ebay and are used. One is black "vegan" leather, they don't look worn much and the opening bid was $20, been on for a while and have no bids, I may try them. The others are pink with Paris written all over them and Eiffel Towers, blech. This makes me sad, they were my first Birks that were more narrow and more girly, my feet slide around in regular Birk clogs because they are so wide.

Sigh, first world problems.

freshstart
11-12-15, 5:04am
these step stools for short people. I found them very inexpensively years ago. so cheap, I put one in every room, collapsible but sturdy. Having to go find the step stool every time I needed something up high eventually led to me not bothering to use higher up storage space. I love these! you can find them cheaper than these but the really cheap ones do not support well and are not safe

https://www.yugster.com/deals/68939-2-pack-folding-step-stools-w-non-slip-surface-supports-up-to-300lbs-choice-of-3-colors?utm_source=WhatCounts%2c+Publicaster+Editio n&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HUMP+DAY%3a+53%25+Off+IGLOO+Ice+Maker +%7c+%24100+Acer+Netbook+%7c+%2430+Nike%2b+Fuelban d+%7c+Nintendo+Wii+Mini+%7c+George+Foreman+Grill&utm_content=https%3a%2f%2fwww.yugster.com%2fdeals% 2f68939-2-pack-folding-step-stools-w-non-slip-surface-supports-up-to-300lbs-choice-of-3-colors

leslieann
11-12-15, 9:06am
I love this thread. My birks were ten years old, resoled once, then finally replaced with more birks. They are now three years old, going strong. I found a pair of crocs at TJ Maxx for six bucks a few years ago and they are my go-to yard/gardening shoe all summer. They'll last forever at this rate. And I have a pair of Blundstone boots that I paid (gasp) $170 for but it was five years ago and they will be still my boots in ten more years, at least so far so good. I wear them all fall winter and spring except in major snow events where I know I'll be knee deep. And for dog walking when it is cold and likely wet, LL Bean boots, the old style but with Gore Tex, have had forever and will have forever more. And a gore tex raincoat I got at the LLBean outlet one happy day...for $113 which is a lot for a raincoat but not really for their gore tex coat that will be with me forever. No apparent wear yet and it has been camping, hiking, paddling and around town for about eight years now.

I hate buying stuff that doesn't last and I'm with Jane, I don't care where it comes from or even how much it costs (well, sort of) if only it will LAST.

How do you keep your Smartwool socks from wearing thin? Maybe I need to learn to darn.....

freshstart
11-12-15, 10:40am
I know so many people who love those socks but don't they itch?

ToomuchStuff
11-12-15, 1:25pm
For me, there are a lot of quality products (tools that have helped me fix things), that have been bought second hand, so I could refurbish other things. Some of them, the companies are no longer around. (law of diminishing returns on customer base and durable goods)
That said, I haven't had the luck that others have had, with wearable goods. For example, my longest lasting t shirts, have either been ones that cost $1, or were given to me for free (promotional). Where ones I have bought for more money (example some clever saying), have typically lasted no more then a couple of years. Shoes has been an example here. My Payless shoes, for work, typically have lasted me close to two years (on my feet a lot), while years ago, I tried a pair of Red Wings, that I paid somewhere in the $120 range for, and they were falling apart after 30 days (top and sole separating).
That taught me price and peoples opinions of it, doesn't equate quality.

JaneV2.0
11-12-15, 1:36pm
I agree that price is not necessarily an indicator of quality. I am always taken aback when I see t-shirts being sold for $30 or more, considering I rarely pay more than four dollars, used or new. They seem to last just as long...I've had good luck with shoes, overall.

freshstart
11-12-15, 3:11pm
thanks, Jane, now Macklemore's Thrift Shop is stuck in my head and I am not exactly the Macklemore type:

I hit the party and they stop in that (BLEEP)
They be like, "Oh, that Gucci - that's hella tight."
I'm like, "Yo - that's fifty dollars for a T-shirt."
Limited edition, let's do some simple addition
Fifty dollars for a T-shirt - that's just some ignorant bitch (shit)
I call that getting swindled and pimped (shit)
I call that getting tricked by a business
That shirt's hella dough
And having the same one as six other people in this club is a hella don't

when my kids started playing this song I was not thrilled by the swearing but it's got a catchy beat and the whole thing is about thrift shopping, it's funny yet practical. So we sang it in the car. A lot.

...,,,I'm a take your grandpa's style, I'm a take your grandpa's style,
No for real - ask your grandpa - can I have his hand-me-downs? (Thank you)....

bops away to go meet DD at bus stop humming a really old by now thrift shop rap song in front of her friends.....

JaneV2.0
11-12-15, 3:14pm
One of my favorite songs. I swear the sweater (blue-green and black pattern) he wears in one scene is a castoff of mine. I know I had one like it, anyway.

leslieann
11-12-15, 8:09pm
Nope, Smartwools don't itch. And they go in the washer and dryer just fine. But like all socks they seem to wear thin if you don't wear shoes....guess I could think about putting a layer between my socks and my floor.

I gotta find that song.

Leslie

JaneV2.0
11-12-15, 8:36pm
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=macklemore+thrift+shop

nswef
11-12-15, 9:42pm
I wear ballet slippers in the house. That might work to keep your socks from thinning.

freshstart
11-14-15, 2:11pm
does anyone have a good recommendation for men's indoor/outdoor slippers? My dad falls all the time in his generic Birks because they are just too wide, he ended up in the ICU last winter because his foot slid around in them and he slipped on ice. He had 3 brain bleeds and still will not throw out these ten year old 14.99 fake Birks. I am throwing them out and getting him something else for Christmas before he kills himself. He has real Birks, but they are his good pair and by the logic in our family, you save the good for a time that never comes and use the cheap, severe head injuries not excepted. I suspect the real Birks are just as wide. The slippers have to have a sole that will let him walk to the mailbox.

I found 2 pairs of Gold Toe suede-ish, fleece lined, outdoor sole slippers for $26, thus one pair comes in under the $14.99 fake Birks that cost him so far $1.49 per year. But mentioned it to my mom to get his size and she's all upset at the change in footwear, 3 major brain bleeds and the falls since, still not figuring into anyone's equation of safety. This past month he had back and neck surgery, receiving PT and he is still willing to risk falls in those stupid shoes.

I'm thinking if someone know of a Buy It For Life brand, I will go with that and print out all the reviews that they are the greatest and stick that in the shoe box, lol. He has a narrow foot and Birks at least for women do come in narrow, but this is an add-on present, I hope to not spend that much.

pinkytoe
11-14-15, 4:17pm
I came across this site for finding quality products when looking for a digital food thermometer:
http://thesweethome.com/

KayLR
11-16-15, 2:57pm
I know so many people who love those socks but don't they itch?
Surprisingly, they do not! I love SW socks, and am grateful to this forum for learning about them!

KayLR
11-16-15, 3:02pm
does anyone have a good recommendation for men's indoor/outdoor slippers? My dad falls all the time in his generic Birks because they are just too wide, he ended up in the ICU last winter because his foot slid around in them and he slipped on ice. He had 3 brain bleeds and still will not throw out these ten year old 14.99 fake Birks. I am throwing them out and getting him something else for Christmas before he kills himself. He has real Birks, but they are his good pair and by the logic in our family, you save the good for a time that never comes and use the cheap, severe head injuries not excepted. I suspect the real Birks are just as wide. The slippers have to have a sole that will let him walk to the mailbox.

I found 2 pairs of Gold Toe suede-ish, fleece lined, outdoor sole slippers for $26, thus one pair comes in under the $14.99 fake Birks that cost him so far $1.49 per year. But mentioned it to my mom to get his size and she's all upset at the change in footwear, 3 major brain bleeds and the falls since, still not figuring into anyone's equation of safety. This past month he had back and neck surgery, receiving PT and he is still willing to risk falls in those stupid shoes.

I'm thinking if someone know of a Buy It For Life brand, I will go with that and print out all the reviews that they are the greatest and stick that in the shoe box, lol. He has a narrow foot and Birks at least for women do come in narrow, but this is an add-on present, I hope to not spend that much.

I recently purchased some Woolrich brand slippers with a rubber sole. They fit VERY snug-ly. In fact, the reviews said they ran large, so I ordered one half-size small, and they fit nicely, have not stretched, snug.

frugal-one
11-16-15, 3:15pm
Wigwam socks also have merino wools socks (like SmartWool) that are very nice and not itchy!

Also, saw this on another site... Socks with a lifetime guarantee...

http://www.amazon.com/Darn-Tough-Merino-Cushion-Black/dp/B000XFZXYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447697418&sr=8-1&keywords=darn+tough+socks