PDA

View Full Version : Simple/Frugal Wish List for Santa, What to ask for politely ideas

sylvia
11-4-15, 1:27pm
My family members usually ask me what I want for Christmas, but there are times I see the waste in the choices they make to "surprise me" . So with baby's first Christmas here what can I request for baby that's simple and frugal not wastefuL? I thought of gift cards to Costco for essentials etc. It just makes me surprising angry to see how clueless my family members that are not living simply throwing away their hard earned cash.Any ideas or experiences?

rodeosweetheart
11-4-15, 2:43pm
I just asked my kids what they wanted, in similar circumstances, and they wanted a nice rug for the baby's room, which I happily bought.
So do you need something like that--I also bought them a stroller and a high chair. The high chair folds and is a big hit, since they like to keep the space open when it's not in use.

The stroller was one of those expensive jogger strollers--I gave them cash and they found a used Bob on Craigslist. But they are marathon runners, so they really wanted the Bob..

SteveinMN
11-4-15, 7:16pm
It just makes me surprising angry to see how clueless my family members that are not living simply throwing away their hard earned cash.Any ideas or experiences?
Something which I believe will help you is to remember that adults pretty much get to spend their money as they see fit. That doesn't mean they should ignore the electric bill or stop feeding their kids or eat nothing but ramen themselves. But discretionary income is discretionary income. And some people really like to spend money on gifts for others. It brings them pleasure to think of something you might like. Maybe they like to shop. Whatever.

Though you can hint that you really only want, say, consumable baby items, you are not going to stop anyone from buying that darling onesie or that Disney-character over-crib mobile -- unless you're really ready to damage the relationship by refusing it. Accept the gift graciously in the positive spirit it is intended and then do what you want with it.

sylvia
11-5-15, 4:09pm
SteveinNm thank you for the kind words, I see your point and it sounds like the case. I guess I am different livng on a shoestring budget for 20 years in a small house. Just had a baby so it got smaller everyone is generous in their own way but I am a minimalist and all the stuff just drives me nuts. I do smile and say thanks but much is useless and just takes up more space. Maybe its the fact that stuff cant replace people. I feel a big loss as most of both sides of our families have moved to other states and we just miss them and resent them for leaving.It's like love/hate and the holidays just aggravate it.

catherine
11-5-15, 4:20pm
My latest "wish lists" have been things from specific businesses I really want to support. These are usually small businesses, sometimes local, usually people I love so much I want to donate to them but I don't have the money. (Stephen Huneck's dogmt.com, beadforlife.org are two examples). I tell my family I only want gifts from those companies/organizations.

Do you have any specific businesses you would like to support that you could direct your family to?

sylvia
11-5-15, 6:23pm
With a baby in the mix I had to quit my job after working due to baby situation and health issues (my bp going higher after baby). We are a family of 5 on one income. Im not in a position to donate money right now. I support a local womens crisis center by donating our unwanted clothing and I shop at their thrift store . I do hope this very tight financial situation is temporary but Ill have to get even more creative than usual like this Christmas make some gifts or regift or pass on those extra Christmas decos like cute pillows etc I have stored in our basement. Perhaps it's a strange opportunity to minimise and free myself from the extra stuff that I keep complaining about.

catherine
11-5-15, 6:56pm
With a baby in the mix I had to quit my job after working due to baby situation and health issues (my bp going higher after baby). We are a family of 5 on one income. Im not in a position to donate money right now.

I didn't mean for you to donate the money--my thought was to ask your family to give you things that support causes/businesses you like. I totally understand that you are not in a position to donate money. I'm not either--so when my family asks me what I want for Christmas I tell them to buy me something from local businesses or organizations I believe in.

rodeosweetheart
11-5-15, 7:01pm
I a a big fan of the LL Bean card, myself, when my parents ask. It's easy and it takes me back to the days when Dad got his hunting boots there from the one catalogue that came one time a year and lived in the drawer in the dining room.
Some years I have bought their presents the next year with the gift card. Maybe it's a WASP thing, or a New England thing. . .

SteveinMN
11-5-15, 7:44pm
I guess I am different livng on a shoestring budget for 20 years in a small house. Just had a baby so it got smaller everyone is generous in their own way but I am a minimalist and all the stuff just drives me nuts. I do smile and say thanks but much is useless and just takes up more space.
Understood. You are among like-minded people here. :) Perhaps if people ask you can point them toward getting you consumables (baby food, diapers, gift certificates to stores that carry baby goods). If nothing else, at least at some point you'll be able to give away baby items with a clear conscience because the baby will have grown out of the ability to use them.

My birthday and Christmas are coming up and I will face a similar problem. I usually tell people that there's no thing I want but that I would enjoy experiences, like a dinner out at a favorite ethnic restaurant or tickets to a game or concert. I'm not sure how that would work in the context of a baby. But it might be an idea.

sylvia
11-20-15, 8:03pm
Baby is too small for presents I think I'll take a few cute pics or video and request gift cards to cover diapers and formula. Ill also try to pay some money into baby's savings acct. As for gifts lots of planning hopefully it works out I trying to be stress free this year.

bae
11-20-15, 8:21pm
In our family, we mostly ask for:

- gifts to our favorite charities
- interesting and readily-consumable foods

Nothing that needs stored, or clutters up shelves :-)

pony mom
11-20-15, 8:48pm
For a young baby, there isn't much they could enjoy now. But maybe a GC to visit a zoo or or kids' amusement park to use next summer when a bit older.

I think diapers and food and usable things are still the best if money is tight.

kib
11-20-15, 11:54pm
I hear you. Last year one of my relatives gave everyone a Fitbit for Christmas. I like this person and I know she thought it was the grooviest idea ever, but $100 we felt obliged to reciprocate, great. Then of course everyone in the family was wearing these stupid trendy things, so in addition to the ugliest piece of freaks-me-out Big Brother junk jewelry I can imagine, I got the choice of either participating in the craze with everyone - how many steps, how many steps, is it charged up, why isn't my app working, please shoot me now - or being the unsporting outcast. Call me Scrooge, I'd much rather receive nothing than a "good spirited" gift that feels like a millstone around my neck. Or my wrist, as the case may be.

I agree with what's been said here, consumables or a product that supports a local business you admire, maybe both.

Williamsmith
11-21-15, 2:18am
I like the idea of giving with the understanding that the receiver is free to pass the gift on to someone else later and the giver does not have to feel offended. That way you don't clutter your life with unecessary things but can truthfully accept stuff that only enhances your life for a short time. This ownership and possession of things is the root problem of much angst in gift giving.

freshstart
11-21-15, 7:41am
maybe, only if asked, you could say, "I know you really want to spend a lot on cute outfits for the baby. How about one outfit and a pack of diapers instead." When I had little ones, no one wanted to get what we needed (besides the shower registry), they wanted to shop and pick out cute things they normally did not get to buy. The whole thing Steve said. Keep the tags on at least, maybe you can exchange for something more practical. AFTER you take the pic of the baby in the outfit and send it to them, lol. By year 2, I let it get around how badly I wanted to increase our children's library and would like people to donate their fav book. They wrote nice messages to the kids inside, I still have many of them.

starting with babyhood, I kept gifts that we would never use in a closet to regift when appropriate, I still do this. Or if I find something too good to pass up. So lots of my gifts come out of that closet. Well, it was a closet in my old house. Now the Rubbermaid tubs have been removed from my safe zone corner of the basement and dragged into the hoard. Good luck finding them this year!

Miss Cellane
11-21-15, 9:35am
For the baby, if you don't have a stock of clothes on hand, could you ask for clothes that will fit the baby next summer? Guessing on the size? Or an appropriate toy/play item that the baby could use within the next year? Think ahead to something that you will need or really, really want for the baby in the next 5-8 months and ask for that. "There's nothing she really needs right now, but for next summer, we were thinking it would be great to have a SuperBabyGizmo. So a gift card to help with that would be great."

Teacher Terry
11-21-15, 1:42pm
I vote for gift cards & clothes for the future. I also like experiences like cards to restaurants, etc. If a person really wants to buy something they could buy a small toy & a gift card. I always have had a gift closet full of nice items that were not right for me or things I bought on sale that were great items that I knew someone would want. Now that I knit I also make items for people.