PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cream!

Greg44
4-9-11, 12:28am
This week as I was eating the "Southern Crunch Butter Pecan" Ice Cream - It did bring up long lost memories of a ice cream dissappointment.

My cousin was having a birthday party at "Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor" I had been to Farrell's before, but NEVER with a birthday party. I must have been about 8 years old. Farrell's had the "ZOO" - a large silver bowl full of many flavors of Ice Cream - and little plastic zoo animals. When the Zoo came to your table their was much fan fare. The employees ran through parlor - lots of sirens, drums, etc. For kids the production was just as much fun as the Ice Cream.

My uncle scooped out a dish of ice cream for each of us. I LOVED ice cream, and anxiously awaited my bowl. I took one bite - maple nut. :( My excitment was instantly quashed. MAPLE NUT - he might as well have given me a big scoop of Spinach ice cream. I politely asked for different scoop. I was told to finish my ice cream first and then I would get another scoop. >:( I can remember this as if it was yesterday. FINISH it first, but Maple nut gaged me. I don't remember if I finished it or not, but I can still feel the disappointment of getting that bowl of Maple Nut ice cream!

Today - No maple nut - my favorite ice is Rocky Road - topped with a handful of semi sweet chocolate chips! :+1:

What is your favorite Ice Cream?

Gina
4-9-11, 12:36am
Sorry about your maple nut disappointing experience. I had a 'cupcake incident' when I was a kid that was painful too. :(

Hands down, my favorite is a good Hot fudge sundae - premium vanilla covered with thick, warm fudge sauce, with toasted chopped almonds, and a bit of whipped cream. Cherry optional.

'Plain' icecreams? Homemade strawberry or peach ice creams.

http://www.ez-smilies.com/smilies/character00104.gif

domestic goddess
4-9-11, 12:40am
It is hard for me to imagine a flavor of ice cream I wouldn't eat, but I think maple nut would be it. Who would make such a ghastly flavor? I'm not fond of maple as it is, though I've been known to eat it on pancakes, but ice cream?
I do love Butter Pecan, Rocky Road, Vanilla, Peach. Those are probably my favorites, but I'll eat most of them. Just not maple nut.

lhamo
4-9-11, 1:33am
Greg -- FARRELLS! Oh my god. Such a Seattle thing... I always wanted and never had a Farrell's birthday party. Did go to a couple, but we never did birthday parties with friends/classmates in our family, only with family and only at home.

Favorite ice cream flavors. Would have to say my grandpa's homemade chocolate ice cream. We had one of those old fashion ice cream makers where you used rock salt and everything. We always made ice cream for 4th of July, and usually a couple of other times in the summer. It was soooo good.

As an adult, I got really hooked on Haagen Dazs Baily's Irish Cream for awhile, and then Dulche du Leche -- probably ate gallons of the latter during my first pregnancy, which was when I first tried it. I do still love a good chocolate. Recently had an AMAZING dark chocolate gelato in Macau during a work trip. Good thing I only go there once a year or I'd be packing on the pounds...

lhamo

Madsen
4-9-11, 2:27am
They had a Farrell's in San Diego too. :)

Glo
4-9-11, 4:27am
Moose tracks is a favorite but I do love most ice cream, even maple nut!

lhamo
4-9-11, 6:48am
Oh that's wierd -- I had it in my head that it was a Seattle-area phenomenon, but actually it started in Portland and did have branches in California, too. Still has two there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farrell's_Ice_Cream_Parlour

I find it odd that my parents didn't do the whole "free sundae on your birthday" thing. I guess because with five of us in the family they knew they would have to pay for the other four.

Wierd about the plane crashes and the draft controversy, too.

lhamo

goldensmom
4-9-11, 6:49am
MAPLE NUT!! As a child I hated all things maple but developed a taste for it in my 40's. Now Maple Nut is my favorite ice cream. My grandmother would always get maple nut or orange-pineapple ice cream and as a child I wondered why she would waste a perfectly good ice cream choice on those flavors when chocolate was clearly the best. I don't think orange-pineapple is even made anymore.

I'm surprised how my tastes in foods have changed with age but one time I accidentley got Black Walnut Ice cream, now that made me gag. I will never like Black Walnuts.

Rosemary
4-9-11, 8:49am
We lived in Vermont for a year when I was a child, around 1979. We had a milkman who delivered various things to our house: in addition to milk, he also delivered ice cream and maple syrup. And my very favorite ice cream flavor was maple nut! To this day, I really enjoy it.

But my very favorite ice cream is the gelato-style ice cream that they serve in Germany. They have many flavors, most of which are fruit- or nut-based, and they serve very small scoops, so you can get more than one flavor. Hazelnut, raspberry, chocolate... yum!

madgeylou
4-9-11, 11:00am
mmm ice cream.

of commercial brands, i have to say my number 1 favorite is haagen daaz chocolate peanut butter. sooo gooood! this is closely followed by one of the chunky chocolate-based ben and jerry's like chubby hubby or americone dream. and h-d made a limited flavor for a while called fleur de sel caramel that was full of salty caramel and tiny chunks of chocolate covered caramel candies. i haven't seen it in a few years but i still dream of it!

my fella makes ice cream quite often when it's warm. last night it was gingered golden plum. other times he'll make something like a rhubarb crumble and mix it into homemade vanilla, or crushed up salty peanuts and a chocolate ribbon. sometimes i get the super tart greek yogurt from the greek deli and put in just a little bit of sugar then freeze it in the ice cream maker. add fruit/shredded coconut/granola/whatever. on a hot day, i will eat this for breakfast or a snack or dessert.

there's a place not too far from here called page's dairy mart, with a little walk-up service counter and incredible homemade soft serve. they will mix it with any flavor syrup for you -- last time we were there, my grandma got apricot. i like their "southside shake" -- a big cup where the bottom half is a milkshake and the top half is a sundae -- chocolate shake + wild cherry sundae? yes please! that has to be instead of a meal, though. the portion is immense.

Float On
4-9-11, 11:56am
I never ate much ice cream growing up unless someone brought a hand crank one to a cookout, never really liked homemade.
I married a man who thought every meal should end in icecream and have an extra scoop before bedtime as well, its no wonder I gained weight after marrying him and its no wonder he has developed milk based 'issues'. Icecream is back to being a rare treat and I love getting a Culver's custard sunday with raspberries and hotfudge. If I need a treat at home I'll pick up a little pint of Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk or a frozen ice cream bar (it may be a blue bunny brand) that is rasberry icecream with a dark chocolate shell.

Simplemind
4-9-11, 12:04pm
We went to Farrell's here in Portland for every birthday. We always waited for them to turn a corner too sharply and dump the Zoo! Of course we saved all the plastic animals. About a year ago I had read that Farrell's was coming back and this post reminds me that I haven't heard anything since.

Madsen
4-9-11, 1:12pm
Remember that movie Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, where they took Napoleon to Farrell's? lol

ApatheticNoMore
4-9-11, 4:20pm
I like coffee ice creams or mocha almond fudge (also coffee themed). Coffee and ice cream = yum. Haagen Dazs vanilla is also pretty good. For homemade ice cream (don't have a machine but my folks do :)) I like Mexican chocolate (cocoa plus cinnamon). Actually has probably been about a year since I've had ice cream of any sort.