PDA

View Full Version : Where to put your final bits

Float On
11-9-15, 11:33am
Freshstarts threat about the "Mom" trinket took a turn to urns. So I started looking up odd urns. http://www.oddee.com/item_98273.aspx Do you have any odd burial or urn stories? We use to have people ask us to put ash (human or pet) into paperweights. It basically makes some dark bubbles in the glass.

iris lilies
11-9-15, 11:43am
Freshstarts threat about the "Mom" trinket took a turn to urns. So I started looking up odd urns. http://www.oddee.com/item_98273.aspx Do you have any odd burial or urn stories? We use to have people ask us to put ash (human or pet) into paperweights. It basically makes some dark bubbles in the glass.i like that idea of using ashes in a piece of glass!

The he only urn story we've got is one I've already told here multiple times, and it's not really a story, just a process. DH being the eldest child was tapped to take his mothers ashes back to her home country, Switzerland. I was impressed with how the security people at the airport handled the urn. There are specific instructions for,them to carry out checking it for contraband, and they are expected to do it respectfully.

Ultralight
11-9-15, 11:45am
Just pour my ashes into the nearest lake.

Simplemind
11-9-15, 12:26pm
My dad asked me to roll down the window and shake him out on the way home.

Ultralight
11-9-15, 12:27pm
My dad asked me to roll down the window and shake him out on the way home.

I like this idea!

Chicken lady
11-9-15, 12:56pm
We compost deceased livestock. We refer to the location as "the boneyard". My kids say they are just going to toss me on the pile. I told them they will need to have me cremated first as open air burial of a human is illegal in Ohio.

Ultralight
11-9-15, 1:35pm
We compost deceased livestock. We refer to the location as "the boneyard". My kids say they are just going to toss me on the pile. I told them they will need to have me cremated first as open air burial of a human is illegal in Ohio.

My mom wants to be "buried in the backyard." That is where so, so many of her pets are buried.

frugal-one
11-9-15, 7:32pm
Just pour my ashes into the nearest lake.

Would have thought you would enjoy "Rest my Fish!"

Gardenarian
11-9-15, 9:26pm
I want to have a green burial, somewhere in the woods. Back to the earth.

pony mom
11-9-15, 9:42pm
My mom is a clean freak and I always threaten that I'll just suck her up in the vacuum and toss her when the bag is full.

Animal communicators say that when a pet is cremated, there's nothing left of them, no "essence" in the ashes. I usually save some hair and put that with the ashes. I guess it's similar to the locks of hair the Victorians saved of their departed loved ones.

SteveinMN
11-9-15, 10:37pm
Or you could have yourself turned into a diamond for loved ones to display: LifeGem (http://www.lifegem.com/)

kally
11-10-15, 12:04am
My husband wants me to divide his ashes into 50 different envelope and send them to random addresses in countries all around the world; no return address.

I have pointed out to him that this is likely illegal, but it is his desire. ha ha

Zoe Girl
11-10-15, 12:14am

I had an idea when I was 18 about how I wanted to be 'buried', Basically stuck in a tree so that I would get returned to the cycle of life by feeding the birds. It was a very odd thought and stuck with me even though I know it is illegal, apparently this is a practice in places like Tibet! however that would be a pain for my children since it is illegal or they would have to fly me to Tibet.

rosarugosa
11-10-15, 5:41am
I would like to be cremated and my ashes scattered in the local woods.
I went to a wake Sun. The deceased was a mother of 5, and her husband had pre-deceased her by 14 years. Instead of the usual casket, there was an urn containing mom, and a fancy engraved wooden box containing dad. I couldn't help wondering which of the kids gets to host the parents, or will they pass them around, or what? It was actually some rather large and not terribly attractive bric-a-brac to my mind, so I definitely prefer the idea of scattering and being done with it. Imagine the mixed feelings/guilt potential of wanting to declutter your parents' cremains from your home!
Zoe Girl: I think you would like this concept: http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/bios-urn-uses-your-ashes-grow-tree.html

Float On
11-10-15, 11:51am
Animal communicators say that when a pet is cremated, there's nothing left of them, no "essence" in the ashes. I usually save some hair and put that with the ashes. I guess it's similar to the locks of hair the Victorians saved of their departed loved ones.

I had my big golden cremated and then I sprinkled (by hand) his ashes in his three favorite spots - right in front of the studio where he would watch my husband work, and in 2 of my flower beds that I was always yelling at him to get out of. I felt like having his ashes in my hand was a loving touch, I wasn't grossed out at all. In fact it was even comforting finding a few bone fragments. I kept some of his hair too.

Float On
11-10-15, 12:03pm
It was actually some rather large and not terribly attractive bric-a-brac to my mind, so I definitely prefer the idea of scattering and being done with it.

I don't like the idea of passing down the urns either, being scattered in some of these beautiful rock-bed streams and rivers in SW MO is o.k. with me (though I'd really rather move somewhere else). I'd rather be in the streams (there is still a journey to make) than in the lake. I've always had weird dreams about drowning in a lake so even though I love kayaking on the lakes I don't want that to be my final place.

JaneV2.0
11-10-15, 12:39pm
I don't like the idea of passing down the urns either, being scattered in some of these beautiful rock-bed streams and rivers in SW MO is o.k. with me (though I'd really rather move somewhere else). I'd rather be in the streams (there is still a journey to make) than in the lake. I've always had weird dreams about drowning in a lake so even though I love kayaking on the lakes I don't want that to be my final place.

I wouldn't mind being in an urn and planted next to my beloved in a columbarium, or alternatively scattered in a park along Lake Washington. Probably O.O.Denny. https://www.google.com/search?q=o.o.+denny+park&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=791&site=webhp&tbm=isch&imgil=JiDPFZe-oZ3eFM%253A%253Bw2y4QtWIgTwumM%253Bhttp%25253A%252 52F%25252Fwww.lakewaparks.com%25252F2011%25252F06% 25252Fo-o-denny-park%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=JiDPFZe-oZ3eFM%253A%252Cw2y4QtWIgTwumM%252C_&usg=__gY5S9QYvDwY_2_jTYjK_l1lZquY%3D&ved=0CD4QyjdqFQoTCLqa6rGlhskCFRfXYwod0lQD5A&ei=eR1CVvr5C5eujwPSqY2gDg#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACSYgzxWXvqGdIjjHg3qd28zaArvrXaRRYJV0xz2 M6bgKjDG_1H26vkJW7m-PYMGrWhfZjJZP4ODBuupTHMYmQgagjgSoSCceDep3bzNoCESjy Fb6A7zIxKhIJu-tdpFFglXQRw2y4QtWIgTwqEgnHPYzpuAqMMRF904rmDLpcCyoS Cb8fbq-QlbubER71gWd7CtdnKhIJ49gwataF9mMRTpsIt6rDTFUqEgklk _1g4MG66lBHyOLiKv8d-3CoSCccxiZCBqCOBEZMQldEPHSBb&q=o.o.%20denny%20park&imgrc=vx9ur5CVu5v7vM%3A

Alan
11-10-15, 12:52pm
My mom is a clean freak and I always threaten that I'll just suck her up in the vacuum and toss her when the bag is full.

When my mother-in-law was cremated 12 years ago, my wife didn't care for any of the urns available at the crematorium. She spent several weeks trying to find just the right urn while MIL's remains sat in a plastic bag inside a box at my house. When the urn arrived, it was my duty to transfer her to her forever home. During the process, I spilled maybe 20% of her onto the carpet. I salvaged what I could and vacuumed the rest. Up till now, no one knows that but me.

catherine
11-10-15, 1:02pm
I still have my dog's ashes in a little wooden box in my living room, with his collar and tags and a picture. I should sprinkle them in the creek, because that's where we spent many walks.

When my mother was cremated my brothers and I sprinkled her ashes off the pier right near where she spent her summers (same place I spent mine). That was gratifying and I think she would have approved--although she came very unceremoniously packaged from the funeral home. We never bought a nice urn, and I remember my brother joking about the "Nestle Quik" container (It wasn't really, but it did look like one).

As long as my family harvests my usable parts and does nothing to separate the rest of me from the natural elements, I don't care what they do with me.

ToomuchStuff
11-10-15, 2:06pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrBe2dfOu9A

I used to listen to that song on Dr. Demento. Still like the idea and the serial killer I dealt with, did just that with some of the bodies (drained in tub, cut up and double bagged).
Of course what Allen mentioned, has been done before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox9bcx_LZMs

and John's taste test, made me think of South Park, ashes in Chili, or Chocolate milk (depending on episode).

Cremation, and I do wonder about dumping bits of my ashes from places that I would like, to at grave-sites of relatives.

bae
11-10-15, 4:45pm
This is my plan, the Old Way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYSNxrtq5QY

freshstart
11-10-15, 5:02pm
My husband wants me to divide his ashes into 50 different envelope and send them to random addresses in countries all around the world; no return address.

I have pointed out to him that this is likely illegal, but it is his desire. ha ha

good thing anthrax is white and doesn't have pieces of hardware or bone. Try explaining that to the FBI

freshstart
11-10-15, 5:45pm
Animal communicators say that when a pet is cremated, there's nothing left of them, no "essence" in the ashes. .

I know this, I believe this about humans, it's actually harder when I think of the ashes having no essence of my dogs. I want to be cremated, I don't care in what. We have a generation of dog ashes no one ever had the heart to get rid of. The plan was we would tuck them in with the first to go. But I suspect my mom will be first and she isn't a fan. So I made it official, all dogs go in my container, me at the bottom, each dog a layer by age, you know, kind of like sand art vases kids make. Scatter us, leave me in the garage where they left the other dogs, I don't care where I end up.

freshstart
11-10-15, 5:48pm
I had a beloved patient for 3 yrs with a very sick dog whom she could not afford vet care. Eventually he was in CHF, pain and could not move. She finally let us have him put down, hospice paid for it. So on the day I have to take this poor dog who had been suffering for close to 2 yrs to be put down, I brought the chaplain with me to comfort the patient. The dog will not get in the carrier, he weighed 10 lbs and couldn't move, this really should've been easy. He, who knew me well, was gnashing his teeth, trying to growl and had enough energy to launch himself out of my arms over and over and over. The patient was hysterical, I was crying because she was so distraught. I looked at the patient and chaplain and said, "I will medicate him but this goes to the grave." I risked my career to give this dying dog just a few drops of the patient's comfort med, asleep within minutes.

I go to the vet, he is an asshole through and through. Trying to get the needle in the dog woke him up and he was crazed again, he made two people hold him down and a muzzle and no matter how many times he tried, he could not get the IV in, he swore like a trucker and had zero compassion for the dog's end. I asked why can't he have a shot of a sedative first, let him fall asleep and then put the IV in. He refused because he didn't have all day for this patient's dog, she never brought him except in crisis, she didn't pay her bills, he should've been put down years ago, the patient was selfish to let him live, on and on, and he did not like black people "like her". A real peach.

Finally, after another 30 mins trying to get an IV in, I was losing it, sobbing, that poor dog, it would've been more humane if he hit him over the head with a hammer, finally he sedates him. He's quiet and sleeping and he STILL could not get the IV in. I would've offered a try but I had already violated my license once that day by using it on another freaking species. Eventually a tech did it. He's in my top 10 of horrible deaths. Patient asks me how it went, "very peaceful, the vet said some very meaningful words." That begin with F.

fast forward, his ashes are ready, I get them and the same chaplain and I help the patient scatter them into a rose bush. Lovely prayers, we all expressed how much we had loved Dino, she's crying hard but is finally ready to scatter. She does it with her hands, handfuls of Dino NOT going into the rose bush but instead being blown back by the wind all over the three of us. Jesus Christ, this woman could not catch a break. It was in my hair, all over my face and clothes, OMG. The chaplain made up a prayer on the spot about how peacefully Dino was carried off to heaven by the calming winds. I call my boss, tell her the deed is done but the chaplain and I have to immediately go home and shower. She was like why and cranky, I explained it would be poor form to show up at another patient's home looking like the crypt keeper and I have to stop talking now, he's falling into my open mouth, back soon, BYE.

Next time, I stand up wind or count me out!

lessisbest
11-10-15, 5:58pm
Our adult son asked for his father's briefcase when he retires - he's carried it back and forth to work for nearly 41-years. My husband looked a little shocked at the request, but told him he couldn't have it, he was going to be buried in it so he could make sure he got his money's worth out of it. And so he will. If it doesn't creep the kids out to store one until the other expires, they can do a 2-for-1 and put both of us into the briefcase. My mother died first and I kept her ashes until my father died and my parents were placed in the same urn - frugal to the end!

freshstart
11-10-15, 6:54pm
the newest fashion, The Ash Bag

frugal-one
11-10-15, 8:27pm
[QUOTE=ToomuchStuff;220861]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrBe2dfOu9A

Enjoyed the song... thanks for sharing!

frugal-one
11-10-15, 8:31pm
My FIL always said he didn't care what you did with him when he died. He said, "for all I care freeze my a$$ and pound me in the ground and use me as a fence post."

lessisbest
11-11-15, 12:01pm
My FIL always said he didn't care what you did with him when he died. He said, "for all I care freeze my a$$ and pound me in the ground and use me as a fence post."

Good one!!!

I heard someone say they wanted to be buried with their butt just above the ground so he could moon the world and people could use the crack to park a bicycle.

My father always said to wrap him in his wool blanket from WWII and toss him in the hole, but he was cremated and finally warm.... He suffered so much from the cold, so it was a fitting end.

IshbelRobertson
11-11-15, 2:47pm
My ashes are going to be spread on Arthur's Seat. As a child I spent so many happy hours climbing and walking here.

http://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/holyrood-park-and-arthurs-seat-p914341

Weston
11-11-15, 3:12pm
I used to appropriate an old Joan Rivers line (Scatter my ashes at Bergdorfs). The way I told it to my wife and 4 daughters was, scatter my ashes at the local mall so that I can finally be reunited with my money.