PDA

View Full Version : Gloria Steinem - Is she a leader or a troublemaker?

Cypress
11-20-15, 8:35am
Curious to people's reaction to the name Gloria Steinem. Do you know who she is? How has she influenced your life? Is she a leader or a troublemaker?

Ultralight
11-20-15, 8:44am
Curious to people's reaction to the name Gloria Steinem. Do you know who she is? How has she influenced your life? Is she a leader or a troublemaker?

I went to the University of Toledo and lived in Toledo for several years. So I know who she is! I heard her give a speech live once. She seems well-meaning though I'd say she is not radical enough for my taste.

catherine
11-20-15, 8:59am
Curious to people's reaction to the name Gloria Steinem. Do you know who she is?

Every woman my age knows who Gloria Steinem is, and I'm sure just about every man does, too. She was a huge part of the Women's Movement, along with Betty Freidan and others.

"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" is a popular Steinem quote. Her influence cannot be overstated--definitely a leader, and a troublemaker in all the right ways.

In terms of influence on my life, the fact that I have been able to make a very good living, feel independent and secure in myself and have innumerable doors open to me that were closed to my mother says that Gloria Steinem didn't just influence my life, she (and the other compatriots of the Women's Movement) made it what it is.

Ultralight
11-20-15, 9:06am

What's got you interested in her?

Cypress
11-20-15, 9:50am
Hi UltraliteAngler,

Gloria shaped my entire philosophy on how to live my life. I am 55 years old so well remember the campaign for women's equality. Gloria stood out and tirelessly spoke in a clear, intelligent voice on choices for women. Despite living in a democracy, I felt early on in life I was restricted to my potential by certain beliefs in our society. The belief that women and men generally marry and have children. Women, in my impression, have always worked, in the home and in support of the family outside the home. She was the first women I heard that made this clear to the general public. That women have always worked, their work tends to be overlooked and devalued, it's a battle to be accepted and recognized by men. Gloria gave me the idea I had a choice in life. But, she always recommended education and self development for a woman. That she understand she is a woman and that is precious. I grew up in a household where I saw repeatedly, my mother support and cater to the needs of an eldest son and youngest son. The dynamics of who was and wasn't important was evident from an early age. I was part of the family, but not valued. She openly expressed love, acceptance and support for her sons and neglected a daughter. This is not unusual behavior in many children. But, Gloria said, wait a minute, you are valued because of you and not your gender.

I did see her speak in 2006 and was amazed at her steady message of women matter, all people matter and we have choices. Society and our culture create a lot of rules seen and unseen based on gender. She, to my personal history, is the first person to challenge that idea. She challenged the status quo. I admire her courage and constant message. She's got a new book on the market so making the rounds on talk shows and radio. At 81, she's still on message and advocating for women as people who matter.

I've had mixed reactions from men and women when I said she was a personal hero of mine. I've had men back up and turn away in mock disgust or distaste. Women do the same. So, she seems to create a reaction, although Gloria seems to keep emotions out of the discussion. I find her amazing and stronger than I could ever be.

So that's my interest. I just wonder do others think.

Ultralight
11-20-15, 10:09am
I've had mixed reactions from men and women when I said she was a personal hero of mine. I've had men back up and turn away in mock disgust or distaste. Women do the same.

Well, this is unfortunate.

I am not as well-versed in Steinem's activism or her writing as I probably ought to be. But I did read about her in college in some Gender Studies classes I took.

Though I'll say I really dig bell hooks and Alice Walker. When I started college my then girlfriend gave me a copy of hooks' Feminism is for Everybody and it was quite the eye-opener. :)

kib
11-20-15, 10:13am
Revolution From Within is still sitting on my bookcase since it first arrived there in 1993. Maybe I should read it again. The community I grew up in was conservative and wealthy, women didn't work, and I was a little young for the first wave of feminism, she was branded to me as ... "aggressive" - a troublemaker. While I thought of myself as a liberated young woman, it took a decade of being out in the real world for me to be ready for her message.

Side thought: I think she took the world by storm in part because she was so pretty. So much easier to dismiss someone like Betty Friedan, "she's bitter because no men find her attractive", "no wonder she needs an alternative agenda, she could never succeed 'as a woman'". Steinem was hot, she was acceptable (visually, sexually, to men of that era) and she still said to hell with this, I'm not going to adopt the existing paradigm of second class citizen as my own. She could get away with more without losing her entire social viability, and she paved the way for all sorts of women.

iris lilies
11-20-15, 10:17am
I think of Gloria Steinham as a classy woman. She is so pretty, and yes, it's weird that is one of the first things I think of whe hearing her name. But
I also think of her calm, strong voice. She was always the mainstream figure in the woman's rights field of the 70's.

I had the thought a few a years ago that she needs to change up her look,it's been the same for decades. But I guess it's her "brand" as we now say, and she makes it work.

i was a subscriber to MS Magazine back in the day. Back then if you had told my 25 year old self that I would in the future pay $300 to Phyllis Schlaflyls Eagle Forum to attend an Eagle Forum conference I would have told you no, never, that will never happen. Back in the days of The Equal Rights Amendment debates it was Steinham vs Schlafly at the podium.

hahahahah, it's best just to eliminate the phrase "I will never do that" from one's personal phrase book. I did attend the Eagle Forum's dinner because I wanted to hear Rand
Paul speak.

kib
11-20-15, 10:29am
I watched something about the women's movement and the failure of the ERA not too long ago with footage of Schlafly. It was interesting, she really had all the freedoms she was perceived to begrudge other women; she personally was powerful, visible, independently wealthy, and working a high profile job. The person who really disturbed me was her wing-woman, who appeared to have no identity beyond "I won at being a housewife and you should compete with me in that arena, who do you think you are to switch competitions and leave me sitting here with my blue ribbon embroidery prize."

iris lilies
11-20-15, 10:41am
I watched something about the women's movement and the failure of the ERA not too long ago with footage of Schlafly. It was interesting, she really had all the freedoms she begrudged other women; she personally was powerful, visible, independently wealthy, and working a high profile job. The person who really disturbed me was her wing-woman, who appeared to have no identity beyond "I won at being a housewife and you should compete with me in that arena, who do you think you are to switch competitions and leave me sitting here with my blue ribbon embroidery prize."

well "begrudging other women" freedoms is not the way I would represent her position, but ok. And you are right, Schlalfy had a law degree and could move in society easily. I can't comment on her henchmen. I did see a fair amount of what I consider to be dunderhead-ness from vendors promoting wares at the Eagle Forum conference, but then the women I met there seems very normal to me to balance that.

The Schlalfys on my side of the river are wealthy and liberal, and they don't always claim their Aunt Phyllis on the other side of the river. Right now they are emboroiled in a legal battle with Aunt Phyllis disputing rights to the Schlalfy names as Trademark.

Cypress
11-20-15, 12:51pm
The words in response I got from Gloria on this topic, was that if a woman or man, chooses this lifestyle, that's great. Go ahead and enjoy. But, if a woman or man opts to live slightly outside the norm or this model, that's okay too. It's a choice. Gloria routinely includes men in her rational. I think she may have influenced the idea that a man can stay home and raise his children, or not marry or whatever he wants too. I liked her voicing equality for all. It seems she fought for acceptance of what's best for you no matter what society norms may have been. I have memories of Schlafly and don't think I understood her position.

frugal-one
11-20-15, 1:54pm
I am thankful there were women like Steinem. I remember in the 70s where I put all credit in my name (not my husband's) because if we divorced I would not have been able to buy anything and have no credit history. In effect, I was considered my husband's "property" and everything was put in his name even though we were married. I had to fight to have my name put on things (not by him). That is why I purposely put things in my name. I remember wondering if I should get married because I would no longer have an identity other than Mrs (mister's). I was fortunate to have a liberal husband who could understand my point. Now.... we are a marital property state where all assets are jointly owned.

Williamsmith
11-20-15, 3:51pm
I am thankful there were women like Steinem. I remember in the 70s where I put all credit in my name (not my husband's) because if we divorced I would not have been able to buy anything and have no credit history. In effect, I was considered my husband's "property" and everything was put in his name even though we were married. I had to fight to have my name put on things (not by him). That is why I purposely put things in my name. I remember wondering if I should get married because I would no longer have an identity other than Mrs (mister's). I was fortunate to have a liberal husband who could understand my point. Now.... we are a marital property state where all assets are jointly owned.

I really have no knowledge of Gloria past the wiki I just read on her. However, given her generation and the topics she chose to speak out about, I'd say she was on the frontier of social equality and for that she probably took a lot of abuse. As far as marriage goes, I think it is way past it's prime and serves little usefulness in today's society. Does anyone take it seriously anymore and is it merely an artifact? We have taken a lot of the flavor out of relationships and made them quite bland.

iris lilies
11-20-15, 7:13pm
I really have no knowledge of Gloria past the wiki I just read on her. However, given her generation and the topics she chose to speak out about, I'd say she was on the frontier of social equality and for that she probably took a lot of abuse. As far as marriage goes, I think it is way past it's prime and serves little usefulness in today's society. Does anyone take it seriously anymore and is it merely an artifact? We have taken a lot of the flavor out of relationships and made them quite bland.
Biological two parent family is the most stable and nurturing for the raising up of children. Call that whatever you like, marriage, committed relationship, whatever.

for a while the research showed that couples who lived together prior to marriage lasted no longer as married than those who did not Ltr before marriage. but I wonder of the research has changed as more and more people LTR without marriage and time marches on.

Being marriage is important if one or both of the parties think it is important.

there are a whole lot of gay couples who think it's important.

didnt we just talk about this topic recently?

kib
11-20-15, 7:25pm
I think there are people who think marriage is important because to them it signifies a deeper commitment or church approval. What you think marriage signifies in a moral or psychological sense is is a personal opinion. But the medical rights and insurance breaks and tax advantages given to married couples are are not an opinion, they are a fact, outdated or not. :treadmill:

bae
11-20-15, 7:29pm
Biological two parent family is the most stable and nurturing for the raising up of children.

I'm thinking that I recall my cultural anthropologist in-laws telling me of communal child-raising in some cultures being quite adaptive to their circumstances.

iris lilies
11-20-15, 7:46pm
I'm thinking that I recall my cultural anthropologist in-laws telling me of communal child-raising in some cultures being quite adaptive to their circumstances.

The reasearch I am referencing is a large body that covers U.S. practices. Since that's where we live, ya know?

bae
11-20-15, 8:07pm
The reasearch I am referencing is a large body that covers U.S. practices. Since that's where we live, ya know?

"We"?

:-)

frugal-one
11-21-15, 9:47am

As far as the usefulness of marriage... in financial matters... "stirpes” is a term used in wills to describe how property should be distributed ... the spouse is first. In terms of health directives... the spouse is the one asked whether to "pull the plug" and in financial directives.... again the spouse is the one to go to. Health insurance now can be self, plus one.... with specific directives as to the relationship (i.e. spouse, child). So, as per your question, marriage still is taken very seriously in our society.

Edited to add.... forgot to mention tax advantages to being married.

JaneV2.0
11-21-15, 1:32pm
I owe a lot to her and to all the women of that time and place who spoke for and fought for my right to live as an independent woman. I would have been absolutely suicidal as a housewife. Thank you, Foremothers!

Teacher Terry
11-21-15, 1:38pm
She is a hero! IL: you are correct that kids in US are happiest when in a 2 parent committed /married household.

Gardenarian
11-21-15, 4:49pm
I have always looked up to her, though I have become more of a radical feminist.