PDA

View Full Version : Article: How to Stick With Minimalism During the Holiday Shopping Season

Ultralight
11-23-15, 9:37am
Worth a read! http://money.usnews.com/money/the-frugal-shopper/2015/11/20/how-to-stick-with-minimalism-during-the-holiday-shopping-season

kib
11-23-15, 11:43am
I'm going out on a curmudgeonly limb here to say that I'm tired of these articles that promote togetherness for the holidays, conveniently overlooking the fact that soooo many people have family halfway across the country, and traveling to them for Christmas would be the ultimate nightmare. Of Course I'd be together with family if that were the easy solution to a frugal and stuff-reduced Christmas!

At least in this family of two, the big issue is the distance. We can't be there, so we send stuff. If we were there, we'd have other options that might still meet expectations for celebrating, but like hundreds of millions of other people, we aren't. We do our best to give experiences and keep the spending down, but enough already with the Kumbaya Solution.

... climbs off soap box, scratches behind, wanders offstage.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 12:12pm
I'm going out on a curmudgeonly limb here to say that I'm tired of these articles that promote togetherness for the holidays, conveniently overlooking the fact that soooo many people have family halfway across the country, and traveling to them for Christmas would be the ultimate nightmare. Of Course I'd be together with family if that were the easy solution to a frugal and stuff-reduced Christmas!

At least in this family of two, the big issue is the distance. We can't be there, so we send stuff. If we were there, we'd have other options that might still meet expectations for celebrating, but like hundreds of millions of other people, we aren't. We do our best to give experiences and keep the spending down, but enough already with the Kumbaya Solution.

This made me lol. I am sorry though, to hear you are so far from your loved ones.

Zoe Girl
11-23-15, 12:40pm

Haha, yeah. If I was closer to my family it might not be too Kumbaya ya know. I send things and they send things and it is lovely, and there is very little chance we will get into the murky waters that are family political and personal differences.

JaneV2.0
11-23-15, 1:52pm
I like to buy myself something I actually want, buy friends things that I hope they want, and enjoy good food and companionship this time of year. I doubt anyone I know would want a hypothetical goat or a zip-lining "adventure."

kib
11-23-15, 2:00pm
If it's a choice between a Fitbit and a hypothetical goat, I'll take the goat, thanks. I enjoy the in-person celebrating, but it's not possible with distant family (truth be told, as Zoe points out it might not be possible if they lived next door, there's more than one kind of "distance" going on with this issue, but it's even less likely with them 3000 miles away). My grouse came about because this is the third or fourth article I've read that seems to have a smug attitude promoting a simplistic solution to a multifacted issue.

JaneV2.0
11-23-15, 2:16pm
If it's a choice between a Fitbit and a hypothetical goat, I'll take the goat, thanks. I enjoy the in-person celebrating, but it's not possible with distant family (truth be told, as Zoe points out it might not be possible if they lived next door, but it's even less likely with them 3000 miles away). My grouse came about because this is the third or fourth article I've read that seems to have a smug attitude promoting a simplistic solution to a multifacted issue.

A smug attitude seems to come with the territory of simple living (and most other elitist lifestyle choices). I tend to avoid these kinds of patronizing articles as a matter of course and just soldier on with my life.

"Philanthropic gifting can serve as a gateway to help family and friends understand minimalism..." Oh, please.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 2:17pm
A smug attitude seems to come with the territory of simple living (and most other elitist lifestyle choices). I tend to avoid these kinds of patronizing articles as a matter of course and just soldier on with my life.

"Philanthropic gifting can serve as a gateway to help family and friends understand minimalism..." Oh, please.

Can you expand?

I don't think simple living is elitist at all. Simple living is a "meta-lifestyle."

JaneV2.0
11-23-15, 2:27pm
Can you expand?

I don't think simple living is elitist at all. Simple living is a "meta-lifestyle."

Simple living, in itself, is not elitist. Poor people practice it all the time without making a fetish of it. It's the middle class version of it that rankles, complete with the usual judging and finding fault with people who aren't sufficiently on board.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 2:31pm
Simple living, in itself, is not elitist. Poor people practice it all the time without making a fetish of it. It's the middle class version of it that rankles, complete with the usual judging and finding fault with people who aren't sufficiently on board.

Make a fetish of it how?

kib
11-23-15, 2:40pm
. . . going overboard with minimalism when you don't have to by financial necessity can be every bit as obsessive and idealistic as being a hoarder. I'm not sure if that's what Jane means, but I've been considering that idea as I careen through life between obsessive "gathering" and obsessive purging, making a religion out of whichever one fits my compulsion of the moment. Sometimes I think being unconcerned about it would be a lot easier and more natural than being so focused on stuff / anti-stuff.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 2:41pm
. . . going overboard with minimalism when you don't have to by financial necessity can be every bit as obsessive and fetishistic as being a hoarder.

But what does this look like? Describe it.

iris lilies
11-23-15, 2:50pm
. . . going overboard with minimalism when you don't have to by financial necessity can be every bit as obsessive and fetishistic as being a hoarder. I'm not sure if that's what Jane means, but I've been considering that idea as I careen through life between obsessive "gathering" and obsessive purging, making a religion out of whichever one fits my compulsion of the moment. Sometimes I think being unconcerned about it would be a lot easier and more natural than being so focused on stuff / anti-stuff.

There's nothing wrong with gathering and then purging.

I do that as my life interests change.

It drives DH crazy, he gets anxious thinking of all of the stuff that I get rid of after having it for a while. He is a borderline hoarder. I am not. I see things as serving me, I don't serve them. I am master, they are slave. Only the truly old things give me pause when I am jettisoning stuff and I try to keep them out of the landfill. I am haunted by two iron pans I pitched some years ago. And then DH reminded me last week that we did find, in the roach ridden hoard of crap in the last tiny house we bought, a cast iron dutch oven exactly like the one I now covet. I am sad that it went into a dumpster, but at the time I just wasn't prepared to scrub layers of rust and debris from it.

I am still haunted by the deco vanity dresser I left sitting in the alley. I didn't put it there, but neither did I remove it. Sure it was missing a center drawer, but a fix for that can be adapted. So I guess I can see how some hoarders ascribe personality to stuff. For me, a piece of furniture with personality (by definition, nothing made after 1980 unless it is high end stuff) gives me pause when passing it in the alley.
NOw, we have a great outlet for that sort of thing, an annual sale we can donate to.

rodeosweetheart
11-23-15, 2:56pm

+100

catherine
11-23-15, 2:57pm
Can you expand?

I had an awesome philosophy professor in college, and this was back during the early 70s hippie days--she definitely leaned in that direction (In my mind, proof of that was in her unshaven armpits). But even so, she used to take off on John Lennon's line, "Imagine no possessions. It's easy if you're rich."

So, yes, there can be smugness in waving the simple living/minimalist flag. My MIL was a model simple liver but that was just how she lived--she didn't wear it like a brand.

Williamsmith
11-23-15, 3:01pm
I have an idea most self declared 21st century minimalists are not minimalists at all, in fact the evidence is they are probably hoarding more things than they are getting rid of. They are probably making life more complicated than before by digitally hoarding. Show me a minimalist without an iPad or a computer and I will show you a true minimalist. All others are merely imposters or hypocrits.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 3:04pm
I had an awesome philosophy professor in college, and this was back during the early 70s hippie days--she definitely leaned in that direction (In my mind, proof of that was in her unshaven armpits). But even so, she used to take off on John Lennon's line, "Imagine no possessions. It's easy if you're rich."

So, yes, there can be smugness in waving the simple living/minimalist flag. My MIL was a model simple liver but that was just how she lived--she didn't wear it like a brand.

I prefer the original lyric:

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

But I am not a fan of John Lennon's music really, or that of The Beatles. I am more a Wings guy, myself.

Give me an example of two of people who wear simple living as a brand.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 3:07pm
I have an idea most self declared 21st century minimalists are not minimalists at all, in fact the evidence is they are probably hoarding more things than they are getting rid of. They are probably making life more complicated than before by digitally hoarding. Show me a minimalist without an iPad or a computer and I will show you a true minimalist. All others are merely imposters or hypocrits.

I have a laptop, but no cell/smart phone -- just a homephone. Am I still in the impostor camp? Am I a hypocrite? haha

Digital hoarding is a real problem for some people. I have been strategic about avoiding it, but I just dislike clutter so that has not been a challenge. I am also a luddite, so that helps.

catherine
11-23-15, 3:12pm

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

But I am not a fan of John Lennon's music really, or that of The Beatles. I am more a Wings guy, myself.

Her point was this: here was John Lennon sitting in his penthouse having a Bed-In, driving around in his Rolls Royce telling people that utopia is no possessions… try telling that to people who have nothing.

Now, I LOVE John Lennon, and right now, I'm looking at a badge on my "inspiration wall" that says "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." But that's not the point.

I can't point to any 2 people in particular offhand, although I can safely say that the two "The Minimalists" authors have branded themselves with the lifestyle.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 3:16pm
Her point was this: here was John Lennon sitting in his penthouse having a Bed-In, driving around in his Rolls Royce telling people that utopia is no possessions… try telling that to people who have nothing.

Now, I LOVE John Lennon, and right now, I'm looking at a badge on my "inspiration wall" that says "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." But that's not the point.

I can't point to any 2 people in particular offhand, although I can safely say that the two "The Minimalists" authors have branded themselves with the lifestyle.

Do you think Millburn and Nicodemous are frauds?

pinkytoe
11-23-15, 3:19pm
So I'm curious...is Mr Money Mustache an elitist in the way that is being discussed here?

Ultralight
11-23-15, 3:20pm
So I'm curious...is Mr Money Mustache an elitist in the way that is being discussed here?

Excellent question!

ApatheticNoMore
11-23-15, 3:26pm
I thank the heavens my family is not much into holiday gifting I guess. It sounds awful. So does flying, and with more carbon impact.

Who were we talking about again? The middle class or the rich? I don't think those are the same OR that I much like the people in either group :~). Humanity lived for much of it's existence with very few possessions. Though not in this culture where certain possessions can become necessities for life (like if the way to get income is to have a job, and the way to have a job is to have a cell phone or computer (I simply would have to quit if I gave those up) then ....). For some people (at least pizza delivery people right?) a car is a similar necessity.

Williamsmith
11-23-15, 3:35pm
I have a laptop, but no cell/smart phone -- just a homephone. Am I still in the impostor camp? Am I a hypocrite? haha

Digital hoarding is a real problem for some people. I have been strategic about avoiding it, but I just dislike clutter so that has not been a challenge. I am also a luddite, so that helps.

well, if you are posting on a minimalist website with an iPad or a computer and you call your self a minimalist, that would be like living in a small cottage and keeping a 50,000 square foot warehouse full of stuff and calling yourself a minimalist. You are a fraud. The mind is part of the minimalism, isn't it? Put your computer away for a week and see how that goes for you. You like experiments in minimalism.....how about it? Instead of posting for a month.....play a game of chess with another person via snail mail. That would be minimalistic. Are we really sure what minimalism means?

kib
11-23-15, 3:39pm
This discussion is exploding in ten directions! :0!

1. I do think that people can become obsessed with downsizing to the point where it may be as stressful and dysfunctional as hoarding. Fetishistic / consumed by this focus.

2. This is not necessarily elitist, it has nothing to do with elitism, it has to do with a psychological state somewhat like anorexia. If less is better, then even less is better than that, and in fact nothing at all is the ideal ... a sense of shame and unhappiness over having six pairs of socks is no healthier than a sense of shame and unhappiness over having sixty pairs of socks, or six ounces of fat on your body.

3. Promoting the Joys Of Minimalism can be smug or elitist, in one of two ways: when it's being touted as the be-all-end-all of good behavior, and when it's being touted by people who have the money to rent or replace their fancy things as the drop of a hat. It's fine to have lots of money and few possessions, it's not appropriate to say this is a reasonable reality for everyone.

4. IMO MMM is neither minimal or especially frugal Or elitist, he's made a science of how to accumulate money and use it very mindfully to obtain the life he believes in, and he makes no bones of exploring the process involved in getting where he is.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 3:41pm
well, if you are posting on a minimalist website with an iPad or a computer and you call your self a minimalist, that would be like living in a small cottage and keeping a 50,000 square foot warehouse full of stuff and calling yourself a minimalist. You are a fraud. The mind is part of the minimalism, isn't it? Put your computer away for a week and see how that goes for you. You like experiments in minimalism.....how about it? Instead of posting for a month.....play a game of chess with another person via snail mail. That would be minimalistic. Are we really sure what minimalism means?

I "unplug" about one day each week, usually on Sundays. Not always though, sometimes I will skip a week and double-up the next week.

I don't own any eBooks. I don't have an MP3 player. I don't have iTunes.

I have a laptop, a lamp, an alarm clock, a car, a little tuner for my ukulele (which I intend to learn as one of my 2016 resolutions), and I think that might be all my electronics.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 3:48pm
This discussion is exploding in ten directions! :0!

1. I do think that people can become obsessed with downsizing to the point where it may be as stressful and dysfunctional as hoarding. Fetishistic / consumed by this focus.

2. This is not necessarily elitist, it has nothing to do with elitism, it has to do with a psychological state somewhat like anorexia. If less is better, then even less is better than that, and in fact nothing at all is the ideal ... that's not healthy.

3. Promoting the Joys Of Minimalism can be smug or elitist, in one of two ways: when it's being touted as the be-all-end-all of good behavior, and when it's being touted by people who have the money to rent or replace their fancy things as the drop of a hat. It's fine to have lots of money and few possessions, it's not appropriate to say everyone else could and should.

4. IMO MMM is neither minimal or especially frugal Or elitist, he's made a science of how to accumulate money and use it very mindfully to obtain the life he believes in, and he makes no bones of exploring the process involved in getting where he is.

Regarding points 1 and 2: How can someone be consumed by downsizing if they don't have much of anything left but the things they need? I could probably get rid of half the 150 things I have and still be okay. But it would mean I would not do as much fishing, for instance.

Regarding point 3: I think living simply is one of the "be-all-end-alls" of good behavior. I think it has massive social and personal and financial benefits. I don't think that is elitist any more than saying "People should eat a 5 servings of fresh veggies a day!"

iris lilies
11-23-15, 3:48pm

I don't see how MMM has ever claimed to be a minimalist. He's all about living mindfully. If that means owing a fair number of expensive tools to do his carpentry work (which I imagine he does have) that would kick him out of the minimalist club immediately, wouldn't it?

kib
11-23-15, 3:49pm
I define minimalism in a very pedestrian way: not a lot of stuff. I define simplicity as not a lot of complication or clutter - stuff, processes, media input, fussiness.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 3:50pm
I don't see how MMM has ever claimed to be a minimalist. He's all about living mindfully. If that means owing a fair number of expensive tools to do his carpentry work (which I imagine he does have) that would kick him out of the minimalist club immediately, wouldn't it?

I don't think that is how minimalism works.

Does my fishing gear kick me out of the club? Rod and reel, tackle box, cooler, canoe, paddles, anchor, PFD, minnow bucket, filet knife, skinning pliers, etc.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 3:52pm
I define minimalism in a very pedestrian way: not a lot of stuff. I define simplicity as not a lot of complication or clutter - stuff, processes, media input, fussiness.

I can mostly dig this!

iris lilies
11-23-15, 3:54pm
I don't think that is how minimalism works.

Does my fishing gear kick me out of the club? Rod and reel, tackle box, cooler, canoe, paddles, anchor, PFD, minnow bucket, filet knife, skinning pliers, etc.

I don't really know what kicks people out of the club.

But your fishing gear, as you've told us, is low end and non-tech and few in number for your all consuming hobby. I deem you still a solid member of the minimalist club.

MMM doesn't CARE about being in the club, I think that's an important point.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 3:56pm
I deem you still a solid member of the minimalist club.

Thank you, ma'am! :)

kib
11-23-15, 3:59pm
Regarding points 1 and 2: How can someone be consumed by downsizing if they don't have much of anything left but the things they need? I could probably get rid of half the 150 things I have and still be okay. But it would mean I would not do as much fishing, for instance.

Regarding point 3: I think living simply is one of the "be-all-end-alls" of good behavior. I think it has massive social and personal and financial benefits. I don't think that is elitist any more than saying "People should eat a 5 servings of fresh veggies a day!" If you are spending your days consumed with the idea of how you can cut your 150 things down to 125, and the 150 things fit in the space you have to put them and cause you no distress other than the fact that they exist in your world, my opinion is that you are obsessed in a way that is not rational. If you are at peace with your 150 things, then you're not obsessed, and minimalism is simply a way of life, not a disease.

There is a difference is between living simply (which I do agree is a good way to live), and telling everyone else that 1. they should, 2. it is easy, and 3. a minimalist (like the author of the article, presumably) is a better person because they live this lifestyle they wish to apply to everyone else. That is proselytizing.

mschrisgo2
11-23-15, 4:06pm
Electronics/electricity use...hmm... I have an 8-yr-old MacBook (my brother gave it to me; it was "refurbished" when he bought it); a Samsung (3?) smart phone; 9 lamps (this apartment has no ceiling lights); a microwave oven, a hair dryer, and an electric hand mixer. That is my total of electricity consuming... oops! wait! the washers and dryers in the apartment complex laundry room. I'm just not into electronics, I guess, lol!

I think I've mentioned before that I've spent extended periods of time motorhoming around the country, in a 15 year old Class A motorhome that we rebuilt. We were almost always off-grid, hardly ever used hook-ups, so we were very careful with our electricity and water. After the first 3 month trip, we had been home a couple of months, when my partner commented that there must have been something wrong with our electricity bill, it was less than half of what is "should be" i.e. what we had been using prior to our trip. Truth is, we brought our conservative ways home with us! All these years later, I'm still there.

kib
11-23-15, 4:06pm
ETA: I do put myself in the camp of "unreasonably obsessed". I probably have 50 pairs of socks. They fit just fine in the drawer, and I have no trouble finding the socks I want to wear. Still, I look at that drawer and feel anxious, annoyed, disappointed with myself, dissatisfied with my life. I need six pairs of socks. Must declutter, must declutter ... it's idiocy. It's socks, for crying out loud. But my anxiety about wanting to get rid of them reminds me of some of the things Chicken Lady has said about her anxiety about Keeping things.

Then fast-reverse to yesterday, when I spent the morning up to the elbow in the workings of my toilet, trying to get rid of a scale build-up. After a while that was an end in itself, it was so satisfying to "gather" chunks of calcium. I could get completely overboard with fishing or berrying, wanting to obtain every last bit available. This isn't normal, IMO, it's the flip side of the minimizing coin.

I totally agree with "take what you need and leave the rest" ... except for this reptilian part of my brain that says no, go to extremes!!

pinkytoe
11-23-15, 4:07pm
I think it was about ten years ago, I declared an un-Christmas in our house. Trying to explain it to my co-workers at the time was not an easy task.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 4:10pm
If you are spending your days consumed with the idea of how you can cut your 150 things down to 125, and the 150 things fit in the space you have to put them and cause you no distress other than the fact that they exist in your world, my opinion is that you are obsessed in a way that is not rational. If you are at peace with your 150 things, then you're not obsessed, and minimalism is simply a way of life, not a disease.

There is a difference is between living simply (which I do agree is a good way to live), and telling everyone else that 1. they should, 2. it is easy, and 3. a minimalist (like the author of the article, presumably) is a better person because they live this lifestyle they wish to apply to everyone else. That is proselytizing.

I don't feel obsessed about minimizing. Though it was fun when I was in the midst of it, but some parts were challenging too. Now, in April and May I feel obsessed with fishing! haha

I am kind of okay with telling people they should live simply. Though I don't think it actually works. But hey, people tell me to eat my veggies. It works sometimes. I let people say what they will. I am a grown up and can handle being offended. hahaha

I think the ease with which someone can live simply/minimally varies by person (their natural affinity for stuff, there friends or family, their culture, etc.). I have noticed it is by comparison very, very easy for me to be a minimalist. I am not entirely sure why.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 4:12pm
I think I've mentioned before that I've spent extended periods of time motorhoming around the country, in a 15 year old Class A motorhome that we rebuilt. We were almost always off-grid, hardly ever used hook-ups, so we were very careful with our electricity and water. After the first 3 month trip, we had been home a couple of months, when my partner commented that there must have been something wrong with our electricity bill, it was less than half of what is "should be" i.e. what we had been using prior to our trip. Truth is, we brought our conservative ways home with us! All these years later, I'm still there.

So cool! :)

Ultralight
11-23-15, 4:15pm
ETA: I do put myself in the camp of "unreasonably obsessed". I probably have 50 pairs of socks. They fit just fine in the drawer, and I have no trouble finding the socks I want to wear. Still, I look at that drawer and feel anxious, annoyed, disappointed with myself, dissatisfied with my life. I need six pairs of socks, why do I have 50 and which ones should I get rid of and and and ... it's idiocy. It's socks, for crying out loud.

Then fast-reverse to yesterday, when I spent the morning up to the elbow in the workings of my toilet, trying to get rid of a scale build-up. After a while that was an end in itself, it was so satisfying to "gather" chunks of calcium. I could get completely overboard with fishing or berrying, wanting to obtain every last bit available. This isn't normal, IMO, it's the flip side of the minimizing coin.

I totally agree with "take what you need and leave the rest" ... except for this reptilian part of my brain that says no, go to extremes!!

There is a little voice in my head when I go fishing. It tells me after a certain number of fish (usually less than the legal limit): "Okay, amigo. You've got enough. Paddle on home."

But sit me down at an Indian buffet and that voice is nowhere to be found! lol

So I quit buffets 7 or 8 months ago.

kib
11-23-15, 4:25pm
Some years ago I went crystal mining with friends who found a great pocket on a riverbank. After a few hours they said, "ok, this is good, we have some really nice stuff, it's time to go." And this crazy part of me in mud up to my eyebrows was just, "No Way! This is the best pocket Ever! There's lots more here!!!" Now what I wanted with an extra bucket of crystals, of little actual monetary value, is a mystery, but I was getting such fierce joy out of extracting them... obsessive. I'm ok with a buffet because of the viceral signal to stop. Without that, I'm a loose cannon, whether it's gathering more or removing "excess".

ETA: funny, it's not exactly hoarding. I didn't keep more than one or two crystals, I was just consumed with the compulsion to GET them.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 4:26pm
Some years ago I went crystal mining with friends who found a great pocket on a riverbank. After a few hours they said, "ok, this is good, we have some really nice stuff, it's time to go." And this crazy part of me in mud up to my eyebrows was just, "No Way! This is the best pocket Ever! There's lots more here!!!" Now what I wanted with an extra bucket of crystals, of little actual monetary value, is a mystery, but I was getting such fierce joy out of extracting them... obsessive. I'm ok with a buffet because of the viceral signal to stop. Without that, I'm a loose cannon, whether it's gathering more or removing "excess".

I wish I had the visceral signal stop. But I really don't. I have to do in consciously -- which is hard around Indian food and pizza.

iris lilies
11-23-15, 4:27pm
There is a little voice in my head when I go fishing. It tells me after a certain number of fish (usually less than the legal limit): "Okay, amigo. You've got enough. Paddle on home."

But sit me down at an Indian buffet and that voice is nowhere to be found! lol

So I quit buffets 7 or 8 months ago.

I am working on making my own Indian buffet. When I get these dishes down, I will invite my friends who like Asian food.

So far I have mastered Chicken Korma and samosas and the cooling cucumber/yougurt dish.

I need to continue work on Beef Biriyana, I am just not getting it right.

Then, I then need to learn a hot spicy meat-only dish for the dieters in the group who don't want any carbs.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 4:29pm
I am working on making my own Indian buffet. When I get these dishes down, I will invite my friends who like Asian food.

So far I have mastered Chicken Korma and samosas and the cooling cucumber/yougurt dish.

I need to continue work on Beef Biriyana, I am just not getting it right.

Then, I then need to learn a hot spicy meat-only dish for the dieters in the group who don't want any carbs.

Awesome!

kib
11-23-15, 4:31pm
Pizza just doesn't count. It goes in and disappears, only to reappear on my thighs the next morning.

mmmmm, iris, care to post any of the recipes? my attempts at Indian food from internet recipes are always a spice catastrophe. Pickle juice in the vindaloo? that can't be right. Check, Karen, it wasn't right. gak.

JaneV2.0
11-23-15, 5:18pm
Wouldn't butter chicken do for the meat eaters? It does have some tomato, but I never pass it by. :~) And of course there's always tandoori chicken.

I'm OK with Indian buffets, too--for the same reason. I wish there was a good Indian restaurant closer than two towns over. Though I've never had really bad Indian food.

catherine
11-23-15, 5:31pm
I'm OK with Indian buffets, too--for the same reason. I wish there was a good Indian restaurant closer than two towns over. Though I've never had really bad Indian food.

Thanks to the demographics of Central Jersey I'm in Indian buffet heaven with several in the area and a few can walk to.

I'm very impressed!

freshstart
11-23-15, 5:36pm
I like to buy myself something I actually want, buy friends things that I hope they want, and enjoy good food and companionship this time of year. I doubt anyone I know would want a hypothetical goat or a zip-lining "adventure."

my mother is all about the goat and worked her way up to getting a cow some years and she really is happy with that. I still give her something small to open but it's a thoughtful gift that I try to match up to her unique taste. My brother named a star after her once, she thought that was the stupidest thing ever and wanted the cow.

JaneV2.0
11-23-15, 5:41pm
Bellevue has a strong Indian contingent--lots of Microsoft employees live in the area--so that's where I usually go. There's an intriguing Indian market there, too. I'm sure when I visit it, I'll come home with more poppadoms and pickle than I can eat in a year.

Iris Lily, do you use a cookbook, or any particular website? Will there be pakora and poppadoms at your dinner?

I'm thinking about devising a LC recipe for kheer. Maybe using ricotta or mascarpone. The important thing there is the combination of flavors.

freshstart
11-23-15, 5:42pm

the minimalist woman in the article that took her whole family to London, with the church singing and all that crap. That must cost a fortune, how is that really minimalist? Just because it's an experience or a bonding time with family, it's minimalist? I don't agree. She's a pick and choose minimalist in my book. It's like what Jane said about poor people living minimalist. Yup, it's easy if you're rich....

freshstart
11-23-15, 5:46pm
They are probably making life more complicated than before by digitally hoarding. Show me a minimalist without an iPad or a computer and I will show you a true minimalist. All others are merely imposters or hypocrits.

we all have a bazillion photos still, they are just stored in a smaller space, probably we have more photos now than society ever has. My photos, paper and digital give me angst because there are too many to deal with. And I know I'm not a minimalist but it does bug me, the pictures feel like a burden.

JaneV2.0
11-23-15, 5:46pm
[QUOTE=freshstart;222386]my mother is all about the goat and worked her way up to getting a cow some years and she really is happy with that. I still give her something small to open but it's a thoughtful gift that I try to match up to her unique taste. My brother named a star after her once, she thought that was the stupidest thing ever and wanted the cow.[/QUOTEhttp://www.simplelivingforum.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=222386]

I think paying attention to what the person admires, enjoys, needs, or wants is the critical element. I wouldn't mind a goat particularly...But I'd rather have someone sponsor a cat at Cat House on the Kings for me.

Chicken lady
11-23-15, 5:48pm
Having read the whole thread:

If anyone wants to send me a couple hundred bucks, I'll buy another goat in honor of your loved one.

Also Ultralightangler, if you get a smart phone you can get rid of the laptop, the alarm clock, and the tuner!

Humor aside, i finally sent my christmas list to my mil. Two rubber buckets, a dozen cloth napkins, and a really nice veterinary stethescope. She can personalize the stethoscope if she wants. It comes with an option to engrave initials or stamp the tubing.

JaneV2.0
11-23-15, 5:51pm
we all have a bazillion photos still, they are just stored in a smaller space, probably we have more photos now than society ever has. My photos, paper and digital give me angst because there are too many to deal with. And I know I'm not a minimalist but it does bug me, the pictures feel like a burden.

I'm a digital hoarder and proud of it. I probably have 10,000 shots of inspiring arty things. And I have backup, so that makes 20,000. Some art school might find them helpful. If not, it's a shoebox sized trove of plastic discs that can either be erased or melted down. I wish I could put them all in albums, but that's out of the question. I look at them regularly.

freshstart
11-23-15, 5:51pm

Gwyneth Paltrow (she only counts as 1/2 since you can count her ribs when she's wearing a cable knit sweater). She has that lifestyle site Goop or something similar, preaches clean living and food/products that cost a fortune. She tried the diet thing you just did and failed. Her "conscious uncoupling" from Chris Martin. Gag.

Wings over John?

freshstart
11-23-15, 6:28pm
ETA: I do put myself in the camp of "unreasonably obsessed". I probably have 50 pairs of socks. They fit just fine in the drawer, and I have no trouble finding the socks I want to wear. Still, I look at that drawer and feel anxious, annoyed, disappointed with myself, dissatisfied with my life. I need six pairs of socks. Must declutter, must declutter ... it's idiocy. It's socks, for crying out loud. But my anxiety about wanting to get rid of them reminds me of some of the things Chicken Lady has said about her anxiety about Keeping things.

I am like this, I just did my socks, vowed I have enough for a lifetime, they fit in the bin, no need to think about them anymore. But I do, today when I got a pair, I felt guilty for having so many. Same thing with other "stuff". I'll keep the socks because who would want them but I returned a bunch of clothes today that I had bought cheaply for my non-working new life. I had over bought clothes no one who cares will see because they were cheap so must buy 2 instead of one.

Back to Christmas, thinking nothing would be crowded today early, I did my returns of these cheap clothes. The line at Kohls was not BF bad, but pretty bad, a good half hour+ wait. Same elsewhere. My body gave me the solution to stop buying this crap online by finally giving up the ghost in the last store and landed me on my bum in full view of the line. I vowed I am not going back into a store or the mall til maybe never. My kids had a deadline to tell me what they want, they didn't so I'm sure it's cash they want, too late, I ordered them stuff they need and there might be room for an Amazon gift card if I get any shred of the Xmas spirit back. I hate BF, I hate Christmas shopping in generic malls, stuff, stuff, it's all about the stuff. Ironically, the lines were ginormous for everything but Santa. There's the spirit! At least we don't line up to pose with the baby Jesus.

my family is not kumbaya at all but we have cut far back, we do eat that big breakfast and everyone takes a nap, lol. Then boardgames with the kids and my brother and a nice dinner. However, there is the high chance someone in there gets there knickers in a twist and the day is as far from kumbaya imaginable. Often someone (my brother or my son) bails sometime over the two days in a stupid fight. But when it is good, it is really good. And it's not because of anything I opened or gave.

I want to live simpler, but I do enjoy a lot of my stuff, so I may never reach minimalism but that doesn't really bother me. I purge but I don't feel the need to count my possessions, try to convert others even just by talking about it unless they are of the same vein or give up my netflix because I "should". Baby steps and figuring out how to define it for myself.

Ultralight
11-23-15, 7:18pm
Pizza just doesn't count. It goes in and disappears, only to reappear on my thighs the next morning.

It goes straight to my ever-expanding belly. :doh:

Ultralight
11-23-15, 7:20pm
Having read the whole thread:

If anyone wants to send me a couple hundred bucks, I'll buy another goat in honor of your loved one.

Also Ultralightangler, if you get a smart phone you can get rid of the laptop, the alarm clock, and the tuner!

Humor aside, i finally sent my christmas list to my mil. Two rubber buckets, a dozen cloth napkins, and a really nice veterinary stethescope. She can personalize the stethoscope if she wants. It comes with an option to engrave initials or stamp the tubing.

I know... I know. I did that for a while. Problem is I did not have the daily or minutely (is that a word in this context?) to turn it off or ignore the buzzing. I used to have two iPhones (a 4 for personal and a 5 for work).

iris lilies
11-24-15, 12:09am
Wouldn't butter chicken do for the meat eaters? It does have some tomato, but I never pass it by. :~) And of course there's always tandoori chicken.

i have not had butter chicken. When I looked it up, it seems to be the main thing served by Indian restaurants,hmmm. But it won't work for my third dish, I want something that's not served on rice. Tandoori chicken is the one
I'm thinking of Tandoei chicken, that's it! surely I can make a mock version without a Tandori oven.

i won't give recipes, there are just too many out there on the web to try and you may not like mine.

One thing I've learned about samosas from a cooking class is that you can use La Mission flour tortillas for the outside. Thats easier than phyllo dough for me.

sweetana3
11-24-15, 5:59am
An Indian buffet is not done for me without paleek paneer (spinach with homemade cheese). Chicken can substitute for the paneer or be in addition. In a pinch, the Trader Joe one is totally wonderful. It spices up any meal!!!

Ultralight
11-24-15, 7:01am
I live in "Little India." I can ride my bike to like 8 or 9 different Indian restaurants and a few Indian grocery stores too. There are also Indian fashion/clothing stores around. When I bought my car the dealer gave me a gift certificate for $100 to the Indian restaurant nearest my house! I went to the buffet ten days in a row!

rodeosweetheart
11-24-15, 7:21am
I live in "Little India." I can ride my bike to like 8 or 9 different Indian restaurants and a few Indian grocery stores too. There are also Indian fashion/clothing stores around. When I bought my car the dealer gave me a gift certificate for $100 to the Indian restaurant nearest my house! I went to the buffet ten days in a row!

Okay, that is officially the coolest new car incentive ever. Why don't more car dealers do that??

kib
11-24-15, 12:05pm
i have not had butter chicken. When I looked it up, it seems to be the main thing served by Indian restaurants,hmmm. But it won't work for my third dish, I want something that's not served on rice. Tandoori chicken is the one
I'm thinking of Tandoei chicken, that's it! surely I can make a mock version without a Tandori oven. Could you create a tandoori -themed shish-ka-bab? Yum!

iris lilies
11-24-15, 12:19pm
Could you create a tandoori -themed shish-ka-bab? Yum!

That's a very good idea. I can see that working to provide a dish for those who want to mostly veg and protein.

Ultralight
11-24-15, 12:20pm
Do you ever make pakora?

iris lilies
11-24-15, 12:21pm
Do you ever make pakora?
nope, don't know what it is.

Off to google it.

Ultralight
11-24-15, 12:28pm
nope, don't know what it is.

Off to google it.

Its bad for ya! But so yummy. :)

I lived near an Indian grocer in college and they sold some pre-made pakora mix that was pretty good! So I used to make it several times a week back in the day.

Hint: You need a deep fryer!