PDA

View Full Version : Purge 2015 DECEMBER 100 Items

Float On
12-1-15, 11:49am
Wow! The last month of the year and another 100 item goal.

Ultralight
12-1-15, 11:51am
Wow! The last month of the year and another 100 item goal.

You got this! :)

Float On
12-3-15, 12:34pm
1-2. kitchen Chairs (been sitting in studio/not used)
3. table
4. office chair
5. kiln (made $300) an extra kiln
6-12. kiln molds/ spray, glue, shelf paper, shelves, other bits and odds and ends (extras)
13. pants
14-15. 2 shirts
16-19. 4 wooden christmas trees
20. curtain rod
21-23. 3 pair DH's shoes

Ultralight
12-3-15, 12:40pm
1-2. kitchen Chairs (been sitting in studio/not used)
3. table
4. office chair
5. kiln (made $300) an extra kiln
6-12. kiln molds/ spray, glue, shelf paper, shelves, other bits and odds and ends (extras)
13. pants
14-15. 2 shirts
16-19. 4 wooden christmas trees
20. curtain rod
21-23. 3 pair DH's shoes

Nice! :)

ejchase
12-4-15, 2:53pm
Mostly, when I purge my four-year-old daughter's stuff, it's surreptitiously when she's not around, though occasionally she will pick out some clothes that are too tight to give away or pick out a toy to give to a baby we know. In any case, lately she's been wearing several pairs of very frayed shoes to school which she doesn't want to part with and while I don't want to shame her too much, I have been talking to her about how when things get that frayed, they don't look so good anymore. Finally, this morning, she picked out two pairs that were pretty bad and put them in the trash can. Success! Total for month: 2.

Float On
12-4-15, 3:04pm
Mostly, when I purge my four-year-old daughter's stuff, it's surreptitiously when she's not around, though occasionally she will pick out some clothes that are too tight to give away or pick out a toy to give to a baby we know. In any case, lately she's been wearing several pairs of very frayed shoes to school which she doesn't want to part with and while I don't want to shame her too much, I have been talking to her about how when things get that frayed, they don't look so good anymore. Finally, this morning, she picked out two pairs that were pretty bad and put them in the trash can. Success! Total for month: 2.

I can relate to that. My #1son had a pair of shoes he loved and wouldn't wear the new ones I bought. His teacher in Jr High taped the soles back onto them one day with duct tape. I felt so embarrassed when she sent home a note with him recommending a few thrift shops or other ways of getting him some shoes. I went in the next day with a box of shoes to show her we could afford shoes...wearing loved shoes and tape was his idea of "ok".

rodeosweetheart
12-4-15, 3:05pm
Took three large garbage bags of miscellany to Goodwill yesterday.

Have another one ready to go today. Not sure how many things per bag-probably 20 in this one?

ejchase
12-4-15, 9:36pm
I can relate to that. My #1son had a pair of shoes he loved and wouldn't wear the new ones I bought. His teacher in Jr High taped the soles back onto them one day with duct tape. I felt so embarrassed when she sent home a note with him recommending a few thrift shops or other ways of getting him some shoes. I went in the next day with a box of shoes to show her we could afford shoes...wearing loved shoes and tape was his idea of "ok".

Oh my gosh! So funny! So far, my daughter's teachers haven't said anything, but one little girl did. I hope we don't have to get to the point of using tape, though there *was* one dress she wouldn't give up that we sort of had to safety pin together at one point!

Returned a pair of shoes that were too tight today, so now my total for the month is 3.

ejchase
12-4-15, 9:37pm
By the way, Float On and Rodeo Sweetheart, your progress is inspiring me!

Chicken lady
12-4-15, 9:52pm
I had a pair of shorts that I adored. They fit when I was nine, in the 70's (we wear short shorts....) so the fact that I was still forcing myself into them at 12 was probably obscene, but I still haven't completely forgiven my mother for giving them away while I was at school.

ejchase
12-7-15, 1:49am
Yeah, Chicken Lady, my mom gave away a lot of my stuff when I was gone, too. Now that my daughter is almost five, I'm trying to include her more in the process!

Gave eleven pieces of my daughter's clothing which she's outgrown to a friend with a 2-year-old. New total for month: 14.

Chicken lady
12-7-15, 8:52am
Good job ejchase!

Also, I think it's really important to include kids in the decision making process and help them learn to recognize when it is time to pass something on or throw it out. Just like you teach them to manage their time and money, they need to learn to manage their stuff.

One thing about hoarders is that we have a really hard time making decisions about objects. Maybe it would have helped if someone had started teaching me how to do that when I was little.

ejchase
12-7-15, 8:37pm
Good job ejchase!

Also, I think it's really important to include kids in the decision making process and help them learn to recognize when it is time to pass something on or throw it out. Just like you teach them to manage their time and money, they need to learn to manage their stuff.

One thing about hoarders is that we have a really hard time making decisions about objects. Maybe it would have helped if someone had started teaching me how to do that when I was little.

I think this is so true. On the other hand, I don't think I could have started having these conversations with my daughter much sooner than now. She just REALLY had trouble letting things go until about six months ago, except for one time when a friend got a new little sister, and then she was into giving her baby clothes away.

So at this point I'm experimenting with doing some of the decluttering with her and some when she's not around. And I'm thinking I might try starting a Christmas tradition this year where I ask her to pick out 10 things to pass on to another little kid (it's easier for her if she thinks of Goodwill that way) to make space for her Christmas presents. We'll see if it works. I do know I need to think about helping her develop the ability to let things go. My mom (I realize now) must have gotten rid of a lot of my stuff when I was away and while I don't remember missing anything I loved, it would have helped me learn to do it myself if I'd been included in the process.

Float On
12-10-15, 11:14am
Worked in the studio for awhile yesterday since the weather is so warm.
24-25 Found 2 more sets of knitting needles (repeats of some I already have). Sometimes when we spent so much time on the road traveling for art shows, I'd stop and buy yarn and needles for the ride in the truck. I should of kept some in the truck all the time. Ends up I find them everywhere!
26-30 shelf bracket sets
31-32 plastic storage boxes
33-40 a box from my mom stuffed full of things (I don't even want to look) going straight to thrift. It's just little odds and ends.
41-45 cans of paint
46-50 4 lbs of broken glass I won't use (colors that do not re-kiln well like red that turns a ugly brown)
51 -55 stack of extra copies of magazines where we were featured (I've got 2 of each in long term storage in the attic in case the boys want them
56-57 thermoses (small size like for soup)
58-60 packed up several garbage bags of bubblewrap and kraftwrap/tissue paper. Will drop off at our potter friend down the road who still ships large pieces.
61 sledge hammer
62 chisel
63-70 box of misc tools

rodeosweetheart
12-10-15, 1:51pm
4 bags of stuff to Goodwill yesterday, including some French haviland china that I was going to keep for granddaughter as a tea set. But figure she doesn't need to worry about breaking it, and I don't particularly love it, and while it will probably be all the rage when she is 20, do I really want to wait around and find out? Someone else can probably sell it and make money on it now, or they can enjoy using it as their good china.

Linens that are perfectly okay but someone else could be using, and don't feel like looking at them anymore. Going more streamlined in the bedding, making my own very plain duvet covers like what I saw in Lucerne when stayed in a hostel as a teenager-very white, very clean.

Books and movies--we buy the 3 for a dollar vcr tapes there at the Goodwill, watch them, and then return them.

Float on, I do exactly the same thing with knitting needles--have a whole box full, need to go through and streamline them, gulp/

Float On
12-14-15, 1:33pm
71-81 A stack of probably 50 hangers. I realized I finally had more hangers than needed after all the clothing purging this year. Only counting them as 10 because I want to go through a few more things.

pony mom
12-14-15, 9:44pm
For some reason I tend to save small plastic bottles, containers, sample-sized jars. This has gotten out of control so today I found and put them all out on a table. You never know when you need a small plastic bottle for traveling, but I haven't gone away since 1999! So I kept a few of the nicer ones, a few odd ones and tossed the rest. If I ever need more I'll just go to Sephora and get samples of a few things.

Something had to go out since I found a gorgeous vintage Dooney & Bourke purse in Goodwill for $15. Now I'm hooked and want to hunt for more old ones, which don't seem to have so much bling on them.

Gardenarian
12-15-15, 1:40am
I went to an Abundance Swap over the weekend. I traded 3 purses, a jigsaw puzzle, and a throw blanket and got something I've always wanted - a lap harp! Really fun way to pare down a little and meet like-minded people.

leslieann
12-15-15, 11:57am
I know I'll never get to 100 but I did send six items to the clothing bin and a box full of "stuff" accumulated over the last few months to the second hand store. So probably 18 items total. Not great but an improvement over adding to the clutter. Looking here helps remind me of what I am aiming for.

And I just now thought of a few empty spice bottles stored downstairs. What was I thinking? Off they go....

Leslie

Float On
12-15-15, 12:01pm
Something had to go out since I found a gorgeous vintage Dooney & Bourke purse in Goodwill for $15. Now I'm hooked and want to hunt for more old ones, which don't seem to have so much bling on them.

My favorite is and D&B purse I bought at a hospital thrift shop for $3. It's legit, there are a lot of fakes. It's very old solid leather lunch bag style and I love it!

Float On
12-15-15, 12:02pm
I went to an Abundance Swap over the weekend. I traded 3 purses, a jigsaw puzzle, and a throw blanket and got something I've always wanted - a lap harp! Really fun way to pare down a little and meet like-minded people.

I've always wanted to be invited to one of those Abundance Swap parties. It sounds so fun. Enjoy your harp!

pony mom
12-15-15, 12:59pm
My favorite is and D&B purse I bought at a hospital thrift shop for $3. It's legit, there are a lot of fakes. It's very old solid leather lunch bag style and I love it!

I was with a friend at a flea market and she wanted to buy a D&B from a guy selling lots of "designer" purses. It felt like it was made out of cardboard and didn't even smell like leather, but she insisted it was real and had one just like it. So that night I went online and researched how to spot a fake vs real. Little did I know that two days later I'd put that info to use.

Your $3 bag was a steal!!! Mine is exactly a style I would have chosen for myself.

JaneV2.0
12-15-15, 1:17pm
I scored a nearly-new small cross-body glazed leather Brahmin bag for under five dollars at Goodwill--a savings of about $245 dollars. Probably my best find ever. Not a repurposed flour sack, :~) but I was pleased.

Float On
12-15-15, 1:19pm
I scored a nearly-new small cross-body glazed leather Brahmin bag for under five dollars at Goodwill--a savings of about $245 dollars. Probably my best find ever. Not a repurposed flour sack, :~) but I was pleased.

Wow! Very good Jane!

Teacher Terry
12-15-15, 2:38pm
I once found a designer bag in Goodwill for $7.00. I went through my closet yesterday and got rid of 4 bags of clothes.

rodeosweetheart
12-15-15, 9:31pm
I once found a designer bag in Goodwill for $7.00. I went through my closet yesterday and got rid of 4 bags of clothes.
Wow, Terry, that's great! I have to go through my closet again now that I found all those clothes from the SC house. They are pretty much my work wardrobe, so I will probably keep them all, but I need to rethink and make sure I am not over in any categories.

Maybe I need to re-Kondo-ize.

ejchase
12-16-15, 1:28am
Took 30 more things to Goodwill. New total for month: 44.

And I went to the kids' consignment shop to look for some stuff for my four-year-old daughter. Found her size 10 pink cowboy boots to replace the ones she loves but are too tight for her now. And when I brought them home to her, an amazing thing happened: she got out the old ones and handed them to me to give away. I was speechless. We've been talking about "making space" for new things, but this is one of the first times she's really initiated it. I was so proud!

Chicken lady
12-16-15, 7:17am
Wow ejchase! That is awesome!

Float On
12-21-15, 1:22pm
71-76 Cleaned out a few old hard spices out of the cabinet
77-80 Donated 4 cans to a collection
81-90 socks, under things and night time tank tops purged
91-93 pairs of shoes donated
94-100 6 more items of clothing donated

Done! I got to 1200 for the year at 100 items a month.
I think I'll take a break!

mschrisgo2
12-21-15, 6:04pm
Congratulations, Float On!!

kib
12-21-15, 6:40pm
Oh, Float On, that's amazing! :cool:

I'm planning to start a more significant purge next year, but had a "moment" today: I can really only use a gel pen, something about being a lefty and the way I hold my hand doesn't work with regular stick pens. This morning I somehow lost both of my gels. Went to my stash and saw a drawer with literally 100 stick pens, pencils, mechanical pencils and various marker-type things in it. And still went to the Walgreens and picked up two gel pens this afternoon, after struggling with a sticky dotty ink pen all morning. I sat there in the car feeling momentarily guilty, and then imagined just dumping out that whole drawer of crap, holding back maybe 4 pencils plus the working sharpies, and sending the rest off to goodwill. It was like the feeling you get when you set down a really heavy box. I'm ready!!!

Teacher Terry
12-22-15, 2:56pm
For me it is easier to spend an entire day de-cluttering then to do it in small pieces. It seems like once I get in the mood I want to keep going. I know it is different for everyone. Float on-you have done a great job this year:cool:

ejchase
12-25-15, 3:56am
Congratulations, Float On! I am really hoping to hit 1,200 items in 2016.

Sometime soon I will figure out my yearly total for 2015 - I think it's probably around 500 or so - which is SO much better than I've done in the past and definitely better than nothing but still not as high as I want it to be.

One of the many benefits I do see, though, is that getting rid of stuff definitely has made me much more thoughtful about what I bring in, so it is reducing my clutter in a couple of different ways.

iris lilies
12-25-15, 10:31am
Yesterday, being another beautiful day, we drove out to a storage shed rented by our lily society and we loaded up DH's pickup truck with crap that needs to be tossed from that storage place. I've been itching to get in there and remove some of the hideous handmade signs, big display items, and old crap that the society hasn't used in ten years. It was impossible to walk through the unit. Now, it's better.

The last time I was there, the President of the organization was with me and he hardly let me throw anything away, yet he had no clue what the shit was used for.

I am angry, angry beyond words, at the mess our organization has made of its legal statuses which I'll write about on the rant thread when I calm down. But yesterday I was able to work out some of that anger by tossing junk.

Float On
12-25-15, 11:46am
One of the many benefits I do see, though, is that getting rid of stuff definitely has made me much more thoughtful about what I bring in, so it is reducing my clutter in a couple of different ways.

I noticed it really affected me when it came to the Christmas season. I had the hardest time picking out a few things to buy for the boys.

happystuff
12-27-15, 10:07am
I agree with the statements about decluttering making me think more about what comes into the house!

While I haven't kept a count for the year of what has gone out, I know it has been good! I already have my first donation pick-up scheduled for the New Year!

Chicken lady
12-27-15, 10:29am
Yesterday was boxing day. I usually "celebrate" with a big clean up/purge, but we had lots of family here and went to a movie. Then we had to clean up after the unfortunate mid-movie dog escape (there will be some repairs) and reassure the visiting dog owner, and everyone packed up and left, and I was just too tired.

So we slept in this morning and got off to a slow start, but I will be doing some major cleaning and purging today.

Teacher Terry
12-27-15, 3:00pm
I worked on purging the kitchen today. I hate having my cupboards packed-I like to have some open space and found out I had way too many coffee mugs, glasses, etc. I also reorganized my pantry so now know what I have. Somehow it got to be a mess. Funny how that happens:)) A few days ago I worked on my walk in closet and took a car full to thrift store. I never count-too much trouble although it would be interesting to know how much went out this year. Yesterday we went out for lunch, walked around exploring downtown, having some drinks, etc. Just a fun relaxing day. We only had a high of 30 so no big crowds which was nice.

Teacher Terry
12-28-15, 7:57pm
I guess the de-cluttering bug has bit me:cool:. So I cleaned out my office and the linen closet. Filled my car again with more stuff to donate. Finally decided that I only need 2 sets of sheets for each bed. Got rid of tons of towels, etc. Things look so much better. The day flew by and it is nice to open a closet door and be able to easily see stuff and not having stuff fall out, etc.

Lainey
12-28-15, 8:46pm
I took advantage of the Staples.com coupon and brought the 6 lbs of paperwork to my local store to shred. The coupon is good for 5 lbs to shred for free, but the clerk said she'd consider the 6 lbs close enough and accepted it. Coupon expires 12/31/16 so if anyone else is so inclined and doesn't have access to a good paper shredder this is a good incentive.

Float On
12-31-15, 11:16am
I de-cluttered one more thing. My antique/flea market booth.
I emptied it out yesterday and thanked it for the year and a half of helping me de-clutter.
101-103: Bookshelf, mid-century mod low bookshelf, smaller bookshelf that I used for display
104-150 Everything thing that was left.
I used 3 laundry baskets and made one trip. Nothing is coming back in my house except 2 large scale framed photographs, a mini-watercolor travel set, an antique iron. Everything else was going to be dropped off at my favorite thrift shop but it is underwater. I'm waiting to hear where they'll set up temporary drop-off/storage site while they shovel out the mud and all the ruined merchandise and re-do the store. Everything is organized, re-boxed and sitting by the door of the garage waiting for their announcement.

mschrisgo2
1-1-16, 8:49pm
Congratulations again, Float On! Your decluttering was very inspiring!

AND, I achieved my goal!! I had a total of 1056 for the year going into December, and got right up to Dec. 30-31 without finishing... Then, motivation hit to reach that goal!!

6 -- As I repacked the Christmas decorations, I set aside a small pile of 6 things for my daughter. She was thrilled to get all of them last night.

12 --When I went to the walk-in closet to put Christmas boxes away, I was struck, literally, with extra pillows and blankets falling off the shelf. Grandkids used to come and spend the night, and I had accumulated quite a bit ... loaded all that up and took it to my daughter's-- kids swapped out pillows, trashing the old ones, and gathered up the blankets like long lost friends!

9 -- Got a new blender and decided to put it on the counter where the toaster was that I haven't used in years, then had the arrange the cupboard to find suitable glasses for smoothies, and decided one set of mugs should go.

52-- Last load of books and materials for school, bagged and in my car for Monday.

18-- Socks and underwear- this was really the motivator! When it gets cold and I want my heavy socks and have to hunt through my drawer ... time to clean out!

8 -- misc stuff from bathroom cabinet
8 -- Dog grooming tools, cleaned and sent to the local rescue
7 -- Dog towels (holey, faded, hems off) also to the local rescue

13 -- Clothes from my closet (some worn out-> to the trash; some for thrift store)

6 -- boxes flatten and into recycling
2 -- bags of shredding

3 -- 2015 calendars

Grand Total: 1200, @ average 100/month for the year!!
Woot!

Float On
1-1-16, 8:54pm
mschrisgo2, congrats on also reaching 1200 for the year!

ejchase
1-3-16, 9:40pm
Congratulations, mschrisgo2!

ejchase
1-15-16, 2:47pm
I decided today to look at my previous posts for 2015 to figure out my total for the year. It was 531.

When I first started counting in 2011 or 2012, I think my goal was to get to 365, and I did, and that felt like a really big deal. Then a year or two after that, I got to somewhere in the 700s, and that felt like a big accomplishment.

Though I still would like to join our Hall of Famers Float On and mschrisgo2 (and was there someone else who I missed?) and get to 1,200 in 2016, I'm feeling good that I'm keeping things flowing out the door even if the flow is just a trickle at times!