PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a long gravel drive?

CathyA
4-11-11, 10:50am
Our gravel drive is close to 1/4 mile long. We've had it graded and filled a number of times......which ain't cheap! Its usually a couple thousand dollars.
Its in horrible shape now. We don't have a tractor......which is insane, since we've needed one for almost 30 years!
anyhow....DH mentioned a $100 grader he saw in a catalog. I really think we need way more than a $100 grader that you pull behind your lawn tractor. Are there any easy fixes for the worst holes? You can't just dump gravel in the holes. You really need that dust. I suggested maybe pouring some powdered cement in the holes, then mixing it with gravel. Would that work?

These holes are unbelievable. I think I've even bent a tire rim on them. rrrrr

Any less-expensive ideas for fixing at least the worst holes?
Thanks.

redfox
4-11-11, 11:19am
I used to live down a similar long gravel driveway... I recall all those maintenance nightmares... does yours have good drainage? Our first one did not, and the holes developed very quickly. Our second one did and stayed level much longer. Also, we were coached to never go over 2 MPH on that driveway, which helped prevent ruts and holes.

I don't think the cement will work, as it takes correct proportions and conditions to set properly. I don't know of a quick fix... if this continues to be such an expense, maybe you should price getting it paved.

janharker
4-11-11, 9:38pm
Go visit a tractor dealer, such as one that sells Kubotas or other small tractors. You may be able to get a used one and you'll recoup your costs fairly quickly compared to hiring someone to do the work. Get a blade or drag or something to go with it. In the meantime, work on making sure you have good drainage. Our gravel driveway is about 300 ft. long, up a 10 degree incline, and a bear to clean snow off of. We have a bucket on the front of ours. Very much worth the money. Can be used for moving things around for gardening, etc.

Twice a year I actually take a garden rake and bring the gravel back from the sides back into the middle. Makes a big difference.