PDA

View Full Version : End of year organizing

pinkytoe
12-27-15, 6:49pm
As I work at a university, I alway have two weeks off for winter break and it provides a nice space for getting ready for the new year. As a start, I decided to do a "panry scan" where I went through everything in the freezer, fridge and pantry to see what's in there and needs to be used. Found a couple of duplicates and made lists of everything that needs to be used for "shop from the pantry" recipes. Today, I went through the spice cabinet, organized, combined and made a list for the back of the pantry door of what is where so that we know what's where. This is kinda fun...

razz
12-27-15, 7:01pm
Interesting time of year to do this.

I have always done something similar in early spring as I plan my garden. By that time I have used up a lot of my winter supplies of last year's frozen fruit/veggies and preserves. I also have an idea of how much I will need to harvest whether my own or from U-pik for the coming year.

Good idea to do this for the spice supplies and mark down the list.

Zoe Girl
12-27-15, 7:07pm
I also have extra time this season. I don't want to let it evaporate by binge watching TV shows. So I have put up all my new art I got for Christmas. This week I am dropping off one sewing machine, and a pair of boots for repair (how will I live without the boots for 3 days!) And I need to order a mat for one of the new pieces of art.

I am also finishing the sewing projects I have had sitting around. If they don't get done over break then I should write off the fabric cost now. But I am making super good progress on that. I have a goodwill dress that is becoming a hooded sweater, 2 pairs of pants I am sewing, I already did the skirt, and then I had a baby blanket to finish knitting just in time.

freshstart
12-27-15, 9:00pm
you guys got a lot done! we need to eat the food we have, too. My dad keeps buying more and the extra freezer cannot fit one more thing. Plus the pantry needs an overhaul, that would be a do-able project for me. But I keep focusing on my room, BR and closets, I want to get them set first. My NY resolutions will include some sort of organizing on a schedule because it is not getting done

I have a large piece of art over my bed that cost more to frame than to buy and I am just sick to death of it but because I paid to have it framed, I've kept it for years. It's going into storage, I think. I have a beautiful mirror from my old house that might look nice if it's not too big and it would bounce light around the room. I have another piece by the same artist that needs to be rotated out for a while, but I don't have anything to put in its place so I guess it will stay for now. My tastes have changed, I'm in the mood for lighter colors. I should have not hung these when I moved. I'd prefer a bare wall. Oh, well.

TxZen
12-28-15, 10:45am
This is my favorite time of year to "refresh" as I call it. Then I am all set for the next 12 months. :)

Gardenarian
12-29-15, 11:22pm
That's a great idea.

I'm on an academic schedule too. I love having the rhythm of the school year; I don't think I could deal with a year-round work schedule. It's so great to have these breaks that mark the changes of season, gearing up and winding down.

Williamsmith
12-30-15, 3:21am
Until my issues with my back are resolved, I'll have to find other things to do that are useful. Still have a need to harvest one deer for venison for the fridge for the year but I can audit our pantry and get rid of out of date stuff. This is a good time to reboot for next year.

rodeosweetheart
12-30-15, 6:54am
You guys are inspiring me to do the kitchen project I have been putting off. Both DH and I are avid cooks and seed collectors, so the kitchen is currently in a state.

Will start with spices, maybe organize them in a shoe box lid, a la Kondo.

happystuff
12-30-15, 8:06am
Great motivational posts, thanks to all. I have been trying to "eat down our pantry" for a couple of months now. My canning jars are piling up as they get emptied, so I'm thinking it may actually be time to make a physical list of what is there, what I want to restock and then clean and organize it all.

pinkytoe
12-30-15, 10:00am
One thing I found is quite a few jars of 1/2 cup of something like quinoa, arborio rice, barley, split peas. I don't necessarily want to restock all but not sure how to use up all. Soup I guess.

Zoe Girl
12-30-15, 10:33am
I like fried rice, or any grain, as a change up for small amounts of grains. And for the split peas you could make an Indian dal as an alternative to soup.