PDA

View Full Version : Purge January 2016----5 items a day.....

danna
1-3-16, 11:48pm
Jan 01,02,03
I am challenging myself to 5 items a day...but please join in with whatever you would like to challenge yourslelf.
I am on the final leg of the decluttering so this is my year to finish.

I am off to a very slow start but, I would like to at least start
--2 Xmas handtowels in rag bag
--1 small bag of stuff from wrapping ribbon etc draw
--1 small bag of scraps of cards made into tags
--1 pen dried out.

Total of 5

rosarugosa
1-4-16, 6:08am
Good start, Danna! I am challenging myself to systematically go through my cellar and purge/reorganize. I made a little bit of progress yesterday. It's a bit of a daunting task in its entirety, but I'm overall quite neat and organized, so there's no reason why I cannot do this. I'll only be able to do this on the weekends, but I have no issue with taking the slow and steady approach.

Float On
1-4-16, 8:04am
Great start and thank you for taking this over this year. I'm ready for a bit of break after last year's 1200 item challenge....yet I found myself on NYDay going through nail polish and closet once again.

Chicken lady
1-4-16, 10:11am
Ok, I don't want to count items (it seems arbitrary to try to get rid of a certain number of things), but I want to do a space/area/zone (drawer, shelf, cupboard, closet, etc) every day. If it's too big a job for one day, I will do at least 15 minutes. Also, since today is the 4th I will do extra until I have 1 per day of the year.

Ultralight
1-4-16, 10:24am
Counting items does not work for everyone.

It really helps me though. I find that is has some intriguing insights and -- after the initial work involved in counting and tracking -- it makes it so much easier and simpler to right-size. :)

Chicken lady
1-4-16, 10:35am
It's just, for me, what if I'm cleaning out a drawer and I find 5 gum wrappers - wow, yay me! Am I done? Or I spend two hours on a closet but only get rid of 3 shirts and a pair of boots - did I fail? Oh, quick, better have a piece of gum....

Works much better for me to clean out a cupboard and feel happy with the number of mugs at the end, wether I purged 11 or just moved the non-mugs to somewhere else....

Ultralight
1-4-16, 10:40am
It's just, for me, what if I'm cleaning out a drawer and I find 5 gum wrappers - wow, yay me! Am I done? Or I spend two hours on a closet but only get rid of 3 shirts and a pair of boots - did I fail? Oh, quick, better have a piece of gum....

Works much better for me to clean out a cupboard and feel happy with the number of mugs at the end, wether I purged 11 or just moved the non-mugs to somewhere else....

Well, obviously you should do what work best for you.

Counting items works best for me at this point in my life. It helps me to know if I am slipping up or if I have made progress.

Float On
1-4-16, 10:51am
Ok, I don't want to count items (it seems arbitrary to try to get rid of a certain number of things), but I want to do a space/area/zone (drawer, shelf, cupboard, closet, etc) every day. If it's too big a job for one day, I will do at least 15 minutes. Also, since today is the 4th I will do extra until I have 1 per day of the year.

You don't have to count. Tracking an area is a wonderful way to do it. That's how I've done it in the past. I made a list of every area of the house I wanted to declutter in past years (and may end up doing that again this year more as a declutter/clean because I want to paint some rooms this year and even the walls could use a dusting/cleaning prior to painting). I think your plan of 15 minutes a day is great. There are a lot of blog posts with 15 minute challenges and plans. Here is one after a quick pinterest search http://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/declutter.html

rodeosweetheart
1-4-16, 11:42am
You don't have to count. Tracking an area is a wonderful way to do it. That's how I've done it in the past. I made a list of every area of the house I wanted to declutter in past years (and may end up doing that again this year more as a declutter/clean because I want to paint some rooms this year and even the walls could use a dusting/cleaning prior to painting). I think your plan of 15 minutes a day is great. There are a lot of blog posts with 15 minute challenges and plans. Here is one after a quick pinterest search http://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/declutter.html

That's a cool site, Float, with a great plan.

Danna, I am going to do this site plus what you are doing, 5 items a day.

Thanks for starting this-- today's 5 things are

2 knives from old pattern

1 serving spoon

1 coffee pot lid for old pot

1 plastic pouch that no longer fit my jump drives.

kally
1-4-16, 2:43pm
Okay I am in. Will list later what I am dumping.

Chicken lady
1-4-16, 3:01pm
I know Ultralightangler, it's just for me, I don't get that sense of progress/slipping because all items are not created equal. Canoe does not equal fork.

I am also far too type b for that site. In fact, I was too type b to finish reading it.

My two (january 4 plus one make up) areas for today are:
1- my second milk stand - which was buried under two boxes of ceramic molds. I am sorting the molds out for home/school/trash and each one in the first two categories has to be carefully handwashed. I've actually done over an hour on this and am 2/3? Done
and
2- the drawer in the little secretary in the kitchen. It has gotten jumbled and messy with everyone home doing projects and wrapping gifts. That should be quick.

Ultralight
1-4-16, 3:03pm
I am curious what you all think about stemming the flow of items into one's life. Purging all day every day can be useless if one does not stop the influx of stuff.

Chicken lady
1-4-16, 3:06pm
That was actually my first area of focus. Because as a hoarder it's exponentially easier to resist acquiring something than to let go of it once you think of it as "yours".

Ultralight
1-4-16, 3:08pm
That was actually my first area of focus. Because as a hoarder it's exponentially easier to resist acquiring something than to let go of it once you think of it as "yours".

The idea of "yours" or "mine" largely befuddles me.

But from all of my reading on hoarding, I totally get what you mean. This is the whole idea why dealerships let you test-drive a car. :(

Float On
1-4-16, 3:25pm
I am curious what you all think about stemming the flow of items into one's life. Purging all day every day can be useless if one does not stop the influx of stuff.

I never had an influx of stuff that wasn't wanted or needed. In fact....I have empty shelves in the hall closet, laundry room, studio storage. I still want less or better. Example: I'll pass along 3 pair of jeans and replace with 1 nicer pair.

Ultralight
1-4-16, 3:27pm
I never had an influx of stuff that wasn't wanted or needed.

Sweet! :+1:

rodeosweetheart
1-4-16, 3:29pm
Do you think perhaps the philosophical discussion could be moved to its own thread? I think Danna's thread is about purging 5 items a day, and she invited everyone to define how they wanted to get rid of things? Seems pretty open ended and inviting, and a great thread. Maybe a different thread should be formed by those wanting to discuss ways and means--this challenge seems pretty well defined already?

Gardenarian
1-4-16, 3:51pm
I'm in. I'm already 20 items behind! Shouldn't be a problem, though.

Ultralight
1-4-16, 3:55pm
General comment: These purge threads are great!

Inspirational, insightful, and neat amateur archaeological studies. ;)

Chicken lady
1-4-16, 4:31pm
Apologies Danna and rodeosweetheart.

I finished my first area - I have 12 molds ready for my studio, 24 to go to school, and a heavy trash can. (I may need to dump part of that into a different can to take it to the road)

Chicken lady
1-4-16, 8:11pm
And I did my drawer.

Along with the expected random assortment of stuff that simply needed to go elsewhere but - oh! The extra steps! Swoon... I found a mysterious case of mechanical pencil lead (dd and dh have 24 hours to claim it - she'll be home tomorrow.), the missing pin from the hinge on the antique bar (oops! The pin fell out. Hmm, I could try to put it back, tell somebody, or, I know! drop it in mom's drawer in the other room!), and two hole punches - one that operates smoothly and one that sticks. (Bye bye sticky hole punch!)

danna
1-5-16, 12:40am
Jan 04
UltraliteAngler & Chicken Lady I get what you are both saying we need to do what we each need to do for ourselves to
get stuff under control.
I/we need to remember that the meaning of stuff and control is different for each of us....
Chicken Lady you are right a year or so back I remember that I listed pens and a Snow Blower on the same list....lol
and, UlraliteAngler I know you are right that all this decluttering does NOT matter a bit if we do not stop bringing more into our homes.

Having said that today I did bring more in today but, I rationalized it and hopefully it all makes sense in MY big picture.

Jan. 01,02,03,
--2 Xmas handtowels in rag bag
--1 small bag of stuff from wrapping ribbon etc draw
--1 small bag of scraps of cards made into tags
--1 pen dried out.

Total of 5
Jan 04
---1 pair of winter boots,.....I have 3 perfectly good/safe pair of boots and this pair I wore out today on very slippery parking lots....SAD
---1 purse I used today that has a large tear...SAD...I have many really good purses that have never been used.
---6 items rtd. to store
Total 13 items

Ultralight
1-5-16, 8:15am
Yup, I think honesty with one's self is really the key.

I tried to go without counting my items. Some friends in the minimalist group here were doing it without counting. So I thought I could do it.

But it just felt so vague and foggy to me. I stuck with it for several months. Eventually though, as some things came into my place and some things I got rid of I just did not like the uncertainty. So I counted things up and put it in a spreadsheet.

This helped me to get really low --- or what I consider really low -- which is about 150 possessions total.

This is likely to change when I move out into my own apartment in May. As of now I have a lot of access to items communally.

Chicken lady
1-5-16, 8:46am
Building on my enjoyment of space in my barn yesterday, my first area is going to be the second small pile of molds (there is also a huge third pile of well over 100, so that will be a different kind of job.)

I haven't chosen a make up area yet.

Ultralight
1-5-16, 8:56am
So when I was doing my major purges and decluttering I couldn't wait for it to be over. Like: "Things are going to be so much easier and simpler once all this stuff is outta here!"

That sentiment really helped me stick with it, and it helped me to be a bit on the ruthless side about decluttering.

This overarching sentiment still gives me warm fuzzies. I know in the spring I won't have any spring cleaning to do, so I'll just be fishing!

Chicken lady
1-5-16, 11:59am
7 molds for me, 15 for class - this pile was smaller.

The molds themselves were smaller too, so I have more drying space on my porch. I might do a few more to take a bite out of the big pile.

Chicken lady
1-5-16, 1:15pm
I did dig into the big pile, and I found 9 more molds to take to class and none for me, and i spent around 45 minutes, so I'm going to call that my second area.

However, I'm not counting the molds anymore because I've got my teeth into them now and they will end up being all of January if I'm not careful. Better to hit a variety of areas. And preferably some in the house.

Teacher Terry
1-5-16, 2:59pm
I read that if you bring in an item you should get rid of a like item so I try to do that. Buy new sheets get rid of a set -same with clothes etc. I have also decided that I only need 2 sets of each for the beds. The exception is blankets/comforters because we have 4 old dogs so use a lot of these on their beds, etc. I bought some new coffee mugs and got rid of a like # otherwise stuff will build up and be too much again.

Chicken lady
1-5-16, 7:47pm
Well, categories I'm up in (down or even in everything else, I was tracking for a while until I built up such a buffer I stopped bothering) are ceramics molds/supplies, dolls (deliberate collection - unlikely to go down), and dishes (I just brought home 19 items I made in a class - mostly cups as it was a class entitled "tea"). the dishes are my only addition for this year.

I'm more interested in right-sizing the studio than anything else, but should probably address all the dishes before ds moves in may so he can choose from the extras.

danna
1-5-16, 11:09pm
Jan
--- pair of socks
Total to date 14

ctg492
1-6-16, 7:42am
I had the biggest goodwill, recycle center, trash first of the year event ever. Remember the house saga and we had an offer and were buying another? SO the massive decluttering happened. We had lawn tractor, snowblower and actually two pickup beds of outdoor items a fellow picked up. Inside, O goodness, perhaps I was in a frenzy of moving and anger, but I got rid of so so much. I had things that needed to go and this was the time. 300+ Lps, 300 CDs, All the assorted non important pictures on walls, clothing galore. Goodwill got the cart when they saw me pull in three days in a row. Bedroom set went too as a new one for the new home was what we wanted.

Fast forward, I have the most organized home in the area I think. We yesterday decided to take the home off the market and stay put for another two years. I spent yesterday unpacking the boxed rooms. I will continue this for two more days. I am glad the weight of most those things are gone. We needed a new tractor and snowblower anyhow. ONE item I am sad that I tossed. I had a little garden clay man I got from an Aunt when I was 10. Clayman had been through almost my entire life, all those moves, yet I tossed him in a fit of moving anger I guess. I feel bad, but will recover.

Chicken lady
1-6-16, 10:05pm
Ctg492, i'm sorry about your clay man, but it sounds like you are enjoying your "new" home.

i didn't do anything here today - except pack up a bunch of molds and take them to school, but I did do over half an hour in my classroom so I think I can count that - I spend 2 days a week there. So I still have a "make up" area to do tomorrow.

danna
1-6-16, 11:18pm
Jan 06...good day!
--1 grocery bag of card from under the basement stairs (all organized/cleaned/missing things found that belong in other areas of house)
--2 very old lipsticks (like past due dated 2012)
--3 food storage containers
--20 food storage container lids (how did I have so many without matching bottoms.....lol,
---2 mugs to charity (rec'd 1 new one for Christmas)
---1 very large Christmas gift bag in the garbage (wherever it was it left a large quantity of sparkles thought it would stop but seemed to get worse.)
Total todate 43

iris lily
1-7-16, 7:10pm
I am in with you all in spirit, if not in actual counts. This is the time of year when I purge more items than usual.

I did toss 3 things that were a little hard for me today, one sentimental, the other two "should" keeps. But not letting anyone "should" me, I pitched 'em.

Chicken lady
1-7-16, 10:10pm
I am doing better at this in spirit than practice. I spent time enjoying having my youngest at home today and the rest of the day got eaten up by "have to"s and construction stuff. I didn't even get the laundry done. So have have two more make ups to do.

danna
1-7-16, 11:53pm
I was also, a no toss day....volunteered this afternoon but, not sure were the rest of the day went....lol

Williamsmith
1-8-16, 3:16am
My neighbor just left for snow bird trip south leaving me to sit his house for a couple months. He still has to pay for trash removal because it is included in the home owners association fee so I am looking at his container thinking this is an opportunity to get rid of some things as my capacity just doubled. Now I just have to figure out what goes and how to get the stamp of approval from the wife on some things.

We keep a bins of toys for the granddaughter to play with. She got some new play kitchen items. I went through the old plastic stuff and tossed a bin full in the trash. I keep reinforcing the idea that we don't need to buy her everything her little heart desires that she sees on the Disney channel ads.

kib
1-8-16, 11:52am
I keep looking in the same space, my office, and I think I'm about done in there for now. It's getting to the point where I just stare at what's left and feel stuck. It all fits nicely and I know where everything is in there, so even though some stuff is superfluous, it's not really unwanted. I did come up with two books I can't see reading again that I've been keeping purely because they're part of a category that interests me.

pony mom
1-8-16, 11:25pm
Today I got rid of some costume jewelry and two books. I don't really wear much jewelry, usually a watch, sometimes my antique ring and in the summer, seed pearls.

Each building in our development has a common room (ours happens to be a craft room) so we just leave stuff on a table and usually someone will claim it for themselves. Also left two books that were required for massage school---they were self-help books. Never read them so off they go.

danna
1-10-16, 12:22am
Jan 09
--1 t-shirt garbage not even able to use for rags too much polyster..but at least 8 years old
--1 pair of oven mitts with Christmas design really old and really ugly....and why do I need special oven mitts for Christmas anyway?
--1 plastic Valentines tablecloth that got used to put together and decorate a Ginger Bread house not sure why I thought I should save it...wipe but
sure there was still icing on it.
Total to date 46

Float On
1-10-16, 9:21am
I'm not going to count this year but I will post when I do an area. Friday it was my office at church, shredded 1999, moved 2012 from my tall office file cabinet to the long term room where it waits for shredding. Moved 2015 from my desk drawer to the cabinet and made my 2016 file folders. Cleaned out the drawers of odds and ends, ended up filling a small bag with office supply things for the thrift shop and tossed another bags worth (some shredded, some recycled, some just trash). My office is all clean, shiny, and organized.

kib
1-10-16, 11:48am
I'm doing a little shimmy in the wrong direction, outfitting a van. But being mindful of my tendency to indulge a shopping jones for no real reason is keeping me 'shopping' in my own house for now, at least.

rosarugosa
1-10-16, 9:33pm
Completed my annual culling of the paper files for 2016, & DH just has to finish up with the shredding. One box of miscellaneous is ready for the Salvation Army & I made a good start on another.

danna
1-10-16, 11:56pm
Jan 10
---1 box of tea to Dd, for some reason I had too duplicates and would not get it used. She was pleased to have it.
---3 bag of fudge out of the freezer....decision was that it was garbage in the can or in me.
---1 small piece of carpet (not even sure were it came from) and not big enough to do anything with.
---1 very old odd smelling, dried up container of foot cream...garbage
Total to date 52

JaneV2.0
1-11-16, 12:01am
Shredded 2012 bills, continued to add to pile for thrift store, bagged cardboard to save and/or recycle.

Greg44
1-11-16, 1:33am
3 Big bags of clothes, old blender, large stuff dog, misc items. dropped off at St. Vincent de Paul. We keep a large box in the garage for "donations" so everyone knows that when something is no longer wanted, doesn't fit, etc. etc. it goes in "the box".

My father just turned 80 and has been "unloading" miscellaneous possessions - nice gesture, but our house is already full. Need to learn how to respectfully decline these "gifts". *sigh*

kib
1-11-16, 12:17pm
Does anyone have a problem with wood? I just can't seem to part with all these 5-10" bits and pieces, and the long boards - project extras, mostly - are even worse, they don't really fit anywhere and create major cluttery obstacles. I'll admit it's great to fish around and find something precisely the right size, especially compared with having to go to the hardware store, but the woodpile is starting to outweigh the shed.

kib
1-11-16, 12:21pm
My father just turned 80 and has been "unloading" miscellaneous possessions - nice gesture, but our house is already full. Need to learn how to respectfully decline these "gifts". *sigh* My dad just turned 91 and has decided that the best form of love he can give is mailing me a big box of remainder books from the Daedalus catalog every few months, typically about astrophysics or ancient Egypt or the origin of slang that's been out of fashion for 50 years. I've decided to accept it as the love it's intended to be, and pass it directly to Goodwill. (Daedalus refuses to accept any more returns from me).

Ultralight
1-11-16, 12:27pm
My dad just turned 91 and has decided that the best form of love he can give is mailing me a big box of remainder books from the Daedalus catalog every few months, typically about astrophysics or ancient Egypt or the origin of slang that's been out of fashion for 50 years. I've decided to accept it as the love it's intended to be, and pass it directly to Goodwill. (Daedalus refuses to accept any more returns from me).

Nice!

Williamsmith
1-11-16, 1:38pm
I had a wood shop in my basement and when preparing to put the house up for sale, I needed to sell off my tools, seal the concrete block walls with a moisture barrier, just get rid of lots of stuff......when I thought I was pretty much done there was this huge box of wood remnants of all different sizes sitting in the room. I had no idea what to do with it. Then I remembered a friend who heated his house with an outdoor wood furnace. Problem solved.

kib
1-11-16, 2:01pm
I've considered building a fire pit. Lol.

CathyA
1-11-16, 4:57pm
If I can just get started, this will be a good way for me to approach things........rather than thinking "Okay.......I need to completely clean out this whole room." This is real do-able for me!

Teacher Terry
1-11-16, 6:07pm
If someone with too much junk in their house gives me something I always take it and then directly take it to the thrift store. I figure I am doing them a favor.

leslieann
1-13-16, 11:31am
I need to come here regularly for motivation. I tend to declutter in bursts but in between I might start collecting stuff again. I thought I had broken that habit but apparently not so!

I have unloaded a bunch of things though. I put an ad on Kijiji for free large houseplants and handed off three enormous plants, two smaller ones and, because it was there, the lady also took a bag of candy that someone gave me (otherwise would be trash). That felt good, and I noticed again this morning that the space where the plants had been is much more appealing to me. Plus the remaining large Christmas cactus looks gorgeous with space around it.

DSD went back to uni with the last of the holiday fudge from the freezer. That was good. I also dumped a million overage leftovers. I don't think that actually counts but it was necessary and very gratifying. And helps me to be resolved to cook only what is going to be eaten. That's a challenge for me.

I've tried in the past to keep track of the number of items decluttered and I just can't seem to do it. So I'll just try to check in here at least weekly and have something to list. That will probably work for me, and keep my thinking on track.

So....I CANNOT understand why I felt it necessary to buy at a flea market several of those old community cookbooks that were all the thing in the 80s and 90s....I found several for my current little neighborhood and thought they would interest me. Mostly recipes that use canned soup and jello, neither of which is appealing, and also there is practically nothing that speaks to the community itself. Oh well....what comes from the flea market can always be returned to the thrift store!

Float On
1-13-16, 11:35am
Thanks for the reminder leslieann, I have 6 plants that I brought in for the winter but some of them look pretty bad even after repotting. I need to clean up their sunny spot and probably toss a couple of them.

Chicken lady
1-13-16, 5:50pm
I am doing really badly at this.

today a parent brought me ten huge boxes and bins of plaster molds for my class. Almost all of them are dirty, many were damaged, I'm not sure how many will work at all. I left the worst of them in some of the cardboard boxes to be tossed by the janitor, but the back of my car is full - this is not the direction I wanted to be moving with the molds. It's hard though, at least half a dozen of them are really cute. I just need to get more ruthless about tossing and more picky about what I bother trying to wash.

My classroom is starting to look better, but I still really only have 5 areas done for the month and it's already the 13th.

danna
1-14-16, 12:49am
Jan 13-
---3 plastic handled teaspoons (I really liked them) the 4th one broke at Xmas and I saw a crack in one so I bent it
ever so slightly and it broke....so the garbage for all 3
---1 bag of paper from year end files....recycled.
---10 books packed up and it car to take to seniors home tomorrow.
Total to date 66

danna
1-15-16, 12:06am
Jan 14
---5 magazines added to books that I took to seniors home today

Total to date 71

JaneV2.0
1-15-16, 12:29pm
I'm getting rid of miscellaneous computer hardware, floppies, and software circa 1999. It's hard for me to actually throw things away instead of recycling, but I'm getting the hang of it. :D

ejchase
1-15-16, 4:10pm
Ten items to Goodwill this morning. I guess I'm starting the year with baby steps!

nswef
1-15-16, 7:08pm
I've been trying to get rid of things as well. The encyclopedia set has been going out in the garbage pick up 3 volumes at a time...next week will finish that off. A goodwill trip to get rid of things accumulated. So much more to do, but I'm working on the easier stuff.

nswef
1-15-16, 7:08pm
Also, husband is going through old Workbench magazines and culling...lots for the recycle bin!!!

rosarugosa
1-15-16, 7:18pm
I spent the day helping Mom to declutter. We tossed 5 bags/boxes of stuff, filled a box for the SA, and filled a shopping bag of paper for recycling.

Sloeginfizz
1-15-16, 8:31pm
I don't know my count for the month but I did get rid of some things I'm proud of.

1. A while back I decided to stop wearing all high heels shoes. They hurt my back these days. Life is too short for that. But I was holding onto my last three pairs because they're so pretty. And an expensive European brand. But I got rid of all three finally. Of course I bought 2 more pairs of flats. But baby steps. I'm down one more pair of shoes and have less than half of what I had a year ago.

2. When we painted the condo I bought those containers with the built in brushes for touch ups. That a year they all sat in my laundry room. I finally put the paint in the containers. What was left, I listed for free on craigslist. Someone came and picked it up last night. Down three partial cans of paint and what I have left is protected so it will be good when I need it.

3. When I got married 21 years ago, my mom talked me into registering for a super fancy china pattern. It was something she wanted, not really me. It had gold trim and I'm not a gold trim kind of girl. She bought me the tea pot for the pattern and literally no one else bought me any pieces of this super expensive, super fancy china. I've held on to that teapot for 21 years, simmering with resentment every time I looked at it that I allowed my mother to steamroller me that way. I bought a vintage 70s teapot with strawberries on ebay and stuck the fancy teapot in the Goodwill bin. Total number of items effectively the same, but now I have a teapot that makes me smile when I use it.

4. This isn't quite done yet, but I've finally got a commitment and date from my sister and BIL to pick up the big dresser I'm no longer using but was too nice to just give away. Her dresser is falling apart, so she will use it. This is 2 out of the three big pieces of furniture I decided to get rid.

Other random items this month that have been sent to goodwill:

1 Ikea tray
3 books
1 pair 'jelly' shoes that were never as comfortable as they look
1 drape front sweater that I liked the idea of but felt dowdy in
1 plastic measuring cup thing that came with the stick blender but is never used.

Threw away

1 jar deep conditioner that was awful
1 bottle of after sunburn care stuff that was way past expiration
Combined three packages of light bulbs into one and threw way 2 empty packages.

Also, earlier in the month, I created a wardrobe capsule and put all the rest of my clothes into storage boxes on top shelf of my closet. The idea is that when I get tired of what's in the capsule or it wears out, I can just shop my closet. I might do a post about this later.

rosarugosa
1-15-16, 9:51pm
Sloeginfizz: I was never a high-heels girl; I only owned one pair in my life, but I commend you on being able to let go of pretty & expensive shoes and stick with what is comfortable (we're lucky we live in a time when you can actually get cute comfy shoes) and major kudos on the teapot!

danna
1-15-16, 11:52pm
Jan 15....everyone is having a really great month!
Welcome Sloeginfizz!
---2 long strands of Christmas tree beads put in the charity box
---1 grocery bag of recipes/crafts/home and yard items and articles that had been torn from old magazines but not used
put in recycling.
Total to date 74

danna
1-16-16, 11:27pm
Jan 16
Cleaned under the kitchen sink...
---1 Dish drain to charity box
---2 cleaning products (of unknown age) to hazardous waste box
Total to date 77 items

ejchase
1-18-16, 2:04pm
Passed on a book I read to a friend. Total for month: 11.

pony mom
1-18-16, 10:05pm
Yesterday I browsed through five years worth of a holistic dog magazine, which filled three large binders. After taking out articles I'm keeping, they fit in a 1", bulging binder. The rest I may put on Freecycle in case there are any holistic-minded dog owners out there.

Also did this with holistic horse magazines and was able to give most away to my horse's hoof trimmer.

Sloeginfizz
1-19-16, 1:43am
I went through my old letters today. Sorted out and got rid of about half. I ditched letters from people I knew in college who wrote once and then never wrote back. Cards where nothing substantial was written inside. That sort of thing. I had the momentary impulse to get rid of them all but refrained. I don't get many letters these days and now they all fit inside one small box that formerly held candy. That's little enough for whoever is handling my estate to deal with.

We we shredded about 3 months worth of credit card offers, privacy notices from bank accts, etc. I don't know why we let it build up like that. I'm not sure this really counts as we would have done it eventually. I don't really count it decluttering when getting rid of something you usually would, like the wrapper after you eat the food.

Combined two partly full shampoo bottles into one. Not mine, but husband's. I only ever have one going, but he's not so mindful about certain things. He never noticed. Nor did he notice when I poured the travel size mouthwash the dentist gave him into the big bottle.

Next up, listing the day bed on Craigslist. It's the 3rd of 3 big furniture pieces I wanted to get rid of.

Chicken lady
1-21-16, 10:34am
I have got to remember that it is winter. I keep trying to get some momentum and then I have a couple of bad days and I feel discouraged. It's winter. Any day I don't backslide is a good day.

so far today I found a "set" of cup, saucer, and dessert plate for 3 that I can get rid of. I also found four books to pass on, and I broke the zipper in an old ratty pair of jeans. So today is a progress day.

I think for the rest of the month I'm just going to take it one day at a time - progress, backslide, or neutral, and my main goal will be not to have any given day be a backslide day, with the secondary goal of compensating enough for those days to make net progress.

kib
1-21-16, 12:52pm
I've had to give myself permission to get rid of things that are broken, perhaps more so than things I know someone will actually want. "What can I do with this dishtowel that's so old it's falling apart, how can I use this pair of smartwool tights that has 50 runs in them (they were expensive, after all). This plate was glued together and it looks ugly, but it's functional and no one else will want it." Lately I think I've overcome this hurdle, I'm actually pleased when I've "worn it out" and can put it in the garbage. I don't produce a lot of garbage, but I'm coming to terms with owning my personal contribution to the landfill. Throwing things away if they're truly not worthy of use has come to feel like a triumph rather than a discomfort.

Chicken lady
1-21-16, 7:24pm
Kib, I am totally with you there!

i was overjoyed the day the goodwill attendant told me they recycle fabric items that are too worn/torn/stained to sell. the running store shreds sneakers for playground padding.

just keep telling yourself your house is not a landfill.

my friend came over and took all but one of the windows we removed from the house to use for cold frames (the one was cracked). I also was able to give her a dozen jelly jars, a few ornaments, and the cheese my kids left behind after break that we don't eat.

Chicken lady
1-23-16, 8:50am
Yesterday I took a dozen pencils to my classroom. I brought home food and a few classroom items I need to use here and then return. So yesterday was a progress day.

home all day today so we'll see how it goes.

Sloeginfizz
1-24-16, 8:17pm
Hey guys. This is big. I got rid of one of my blankets.

The house I grew up in never had any extra blankets really. It wasn't that we couldn't afford them or my mom was a minimalist. It was that our rooms were decorated and you had the bedding that went with the room and that was it. It was fine for the other rooms in the house but it was an old house with forced air. The register in my room didn't really work so I was often cold in the winter. Not like ice on the windows cold, but like if the rest of the house was set for 70, my room would be 62.

its not like a huge complex I have or anything. But I have one bed and eight blankets for it, plus a quilt that is in process. Not counting afghans and my baby blanket. The blanket stash has survived many years of purges, growing even. I guess eight or nine blankets does not a hoard make, but it's far more than we need, especially as the heat in our place is nice and even. It stays pretty warm due to neighbors above and below and to the sides, even if we don't run the furnace.

Also, on the purged list- the set of biscuit cutters (I can use a glass if I ever make biscuits), the vegetable steamer I never use (I can use the basket that came with my rice cooker), an extra ice cube tray and a big decorative vase. It was maybe too nice to just give away but no longer my style at all- fancy Chinese flowers highlighted in gold.

Chicken lady
1-24-16, 10:22pm
I'm still finding a few things each day to add to the goodwill pile, so so far steady, if slow, progress. Today it was a shower curtain, a sweater, and I recycled some papers.

danna
1-24-16, 11:28pm
Jan 24...
--4 pair of underwear to the garbage (they needed got no more needs said on this one) except to quote my mother "Would you be embarrassed to be taken to the
hospital in those" lol
--1 can of air spray I am not sure how it came in the house or how old it is...hazardous waste
--4 old gold coloured glass plates (1 exploded in the mircowave and of course I probably should not have been using them in the mircowave at all but,
the fright of it going into hundreds of pieces and imagining what would have happen if it had explode as someone opened the mircowave door....very frightening
Total to date 86

danna
1-25-16, 11:44pm
Jan25
--2 silk scarfs to charity box
--1 dusty old Christmas tree skirt (as in cheap white felt) to garbage
Total to date 89

Chicken lady
1-26-16, 6:34am
Danna, you are doing well!

sloeginfizz, I have a lot of blankets also. I do use most of them, but I have a half a dozen antique quilts from my great grandmother that rarely come out.

Yesterday i didn't find anything to get rid of and I bought three microfiber dust cloths (they are very helpful for cleaning up the concrete dust I am fighting from construction) and two medium sized dolls I had bought a few weeks ago arrived. I had been watching these for a really long time, so they weren't an impulse buy, but it was a significant "backslide" day.

i did wash 15 more molds, most of which will go to my classroom.

Chicken lady
1-26-16, 10:10pm
Today was neutral. No in, no out, nothing added to the goodwill pile.

mschrisgo2
1-27-16, 2:12am
Neutral is a great place to be!
Chicken Lady, just curious, how big are these molds?

Chicken lady
1-27-16, 6:52am
The molds vary. Closed they range from half a brick to an adult boot box. Median size is two bricks. Most of them are two pieces and when they at open an assortment of 15 covers the floor in front of my woodstove. I'm taking a dozen more to school today.

ejchase
1-27-16, 11:07am
My daughter gave me a pair of her shoes that were super worn out and too tight to throw away (she's learning!), and I did. Returned a book to a friend who had loaned it to me. Total for month: 13.

danna
1-28-16, 12:20am
Jan 27
Thank you Chicken Lady I am trying to make myself see what I don't use and don't need....the need it, use it, or love it thing...lol
---2 catalogs ---to recycle
---1 book --to charity
Total to date 92

Chicken lady
1-28-16, 7:11am
I didn't have much time at home yesterday, but along with taking the molds to school, I grabbed a set of double sheets for the goodwill pile (we no longer have a double bed)

Chicken lady
1-31-16, 9:25am
Friday was sort of a backslide day - my school s phasing out the 32 gallon trash cans in the lunch areas for more smaller ones. I knocked a hole in the can I keep my feed in because it was frozen and was going to need to buy a new one, so I asked management about the fate of the old cans. I was told to take them all, so I brought home 4 32 gallon trash cans with lids. I'd like to claim that we will get rid of some of the old, battered, cracked, lidless cans we've been using, but they will probably be "down-cycled"

Then yesterday I went to an all day teacher workshop at a local pottery studio. It was fantastic! I came home excited and energized with a notebook full of notes and plans. I also came home with 4 finished projects, 2 boxes of glazes, a roll of posters (for my classroom), a new splash pan for my classroom, but I will bring the old leaky one home and throw out the more broken one on my wheel if it fits, a bag of handouts and catalogs I need to sort through, and two glass plates, a fabric "lace" curtain, and a plastic candle holder I stopped at goodwill and bought for $2.68 because they would work for some of the projecs we did.

Sofull backslide.

Float On
1-31-16, 9:41am
3 of those lidded paper case boxes (love those boxes for collecting thrift shop items) in the back of the Escape ready to be dropped off. Don't even know what all is in them because son#2 was home and cleaned his room. Need to ask DH to bring home a few more paper boxes.

kib
1-31-16, 10:40am
The last two weeks I've been in "listing mode" - every afternoon I take a junk mail envelope and write everything for the coming day on it, even the minor stuff like do laundry or have coffee. It's tiny baby steps but I force myself to do Everything on that list, which usually takes up the whole envelope. One of the things consistently on it every day is "1 item to toss or donate". Sometime I get on a roll and a whole box of stuff goes, but just the act of forcing myself to seek out one item I don't want is really helpful - and painless. While I can find it nearly impossible to look at 15 sweaters and tell myself I only want to keep five, it's pretty easy to pick out one I don't especially love.

danna
1-31-16, 11:16pm
Jan31---the last day of the month, have not reached 105 but very happy with what I have done.
It is getting harder because there is so much less in the house (not counting the garage, worked on it last summer but,
it will need more this year)
2--more magazines
2-- broken tools from the inside tool bag
1--lamp shade
Total to date 97
The other things I have done while decluttering this month are:
--Hang 4 pictures I love and that remind me of very special people (they were stuck in a closet)
I have hang them in places I can see them and enjoy them. Not out of the house but being honoured and enjoyed.
--Took 6 pair of really good quality knee socks that were too tight at the top and cut them down to ankle socks.
They feel good and did not unravel. So again not out of the house but being used up.

iris lilies
2-1-16, 12:57am
I cleaned out earrings. I decided that if I wear a pair of earrings and one of them falls out of my ear and is lost, so be it. That's life, and I will toss the other one.

There are 3 -4 pairs that I really like, but do not wear because they fall out of my ears. Now I will just accept the loss and move on.