PDA

View Full Version : Article: Prof Stephen Hawking Has More Bad News For Humanity...

Ultralight
1-19-16, 10:38am
Prof Stephen Hawking Has More Bad News For Humanity: We’re About To Wipe Ourselves Out
http://news.yahoo.com/prof-stephen-hawking-has-more-bad-news-for-091739271.html

kib
1-19-16, 11:00am
The MSN article is a lot cheerier, what he seems to be saying is that this is a touchy time for humanity, we may extinguish ourselves before we can get a handle on our technology or improve it enough to attempt extraterrestrial colonization. For a guy who's been locked into his body for fifty years, he's really pretty upbeat.

“We are not going to stop making progress, or reverse it, so we must recognise the dangers and control them,” he (SH) added.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/most-threats-to-humans-come-from-science-and-technology-warns-hawking/ar-BBop0uY?li=BBnb7Kz

simplelife4me
1-21-16, 9:11pm
Hogwash. We could have been wiped out by our own creations 50 years ago too (nuclear). The sky is not falling.

Ultralight
1-21-16, 9:17pm
Hogwash.

How do you know it is hogwash?

LDAHL
1-22-16, 9:11am
How do you know it is hogwash?

Well, you could certainly argue from the fact of our continued existence that doomsaying has proven to be hogwash so far. Based on the record of various doomers over the centuries, a certain degree of pessimistic metainduction from past falsity might seem justified. Of course, one of them may eventually be proven right; they just won't be around to gloat about it. That's why I feel there's very little downside to an optimistic outlook.

Ultralight
1-22-16, 9:14am
Well, you could certainly argue from the fact of our continued existence that doomsaying has proven to be hogwash so far. Based on the record of various doomers over the centuries, a certain degree of pessimistic metainduction from past falsity might seem justified. Of course, one of them may eventually be proven right; they just won't be around to gloat about it. That's why I feel there's very little downside to an optimistic outlook.

My car keeps running...until it doesn't?

LDAHL
1-22-16, 9:29am
My car keeps running...until it doesn't?

More like I will live until I don't. The hand-wringing of the doomers may be justified, but I'll be spared their annoying "I told you sos" if it is. At the very worst, I avoid the time wasted on hand-wringing.