PDA

View Full Version : Poor Elect Democrats to Get Money From the Rich

heydude
4-13-11, 3:24pm
I read an editorial the other day in the paper and it makes me extremely mad. It was by a lawyer who was arguing that the poor are electing the democrats to tax the rich and give them their money.

This makes me so mad I do not even know where to start.

1. Some poor people vote for Republicans.
2. Some rich people vote for Democrats.
3. People vote for all sorts of reasons: religion, war, economic, terrorism, civil rights, etc. etc.
4. What things are the poor getting from taxes the rich pay? I am thinking they mean food stamps or something? But do those extremely poor people even vote?
5. The rich get many benefits from taxes including bailouts.
6. Winners always give back to who voted for them. Bush repaid his friends. Obama has repaid me with a "making work pay credit" even though it was just a couple hundred bucks. Senators always fight for some pig project that benefits their district no matter how poor or how rich they are.

I am thinking there are probably more poor or average people than there are rich people and that the author is saying this is unfair because they outnumber the rich and will therefore always be able to take the rich's money. But, money is power and money helps elect people, purchase senators, lobbyists, and air time, etc. ?

Am I missing anything?

Poco Pelo
4-13-11, 4:31pm
Nope you covered it pretty well except for #5, didn't include that the poor get many benefits from taxes, including the $400 making work pay credit. Sometimes i wonder about the age of information and how it effects those who form an opinion with small soundbyte sized info. But then again, political banter with has never been more fun.....

Zigzagman
4-13-11, 6:23pm
Dan Quayle: “Not all of us can be born rich, handsome, and lucky, and that’s why we have a Democratic Party.”

Are you missing anything? I think the biggest thing missing in Western society is that we seem to think in 5 second bursts. Nothing long term. We are all in a hurry to nowhere, seldom listen, and love to find opinions that agree with our point of view. In short, I think we have become almost a dysfunctional society.

On a personal level - I am not concerned at all about how hard I work or am perceived to work. I think wealth distribution had always been a top down issue, and for the most part the American Dream is about keeping up with our peers. We can always be better or worse off but our social status sometimes in US of A is mostly determined by our sense of conformity.

IMO, this is the downside of the conservative movement. It tends to limit creativity, group people, and defy logic in a million different ways.

BTW - wealth has very little to do with political affiliation. We seem to like to be accepted and fit in and quickly embrace common values - unless you have the wealth to "go it alone".

Where did all the hippies go? They were always outnumbered by the sh*t-kickers! :moon:

Peace

I like this definition of wealth - You are wealthy when more money won’t change where you live, what you eat, what you wear, what you drive or who you sleep with.

Gregg
4-13-11, 6:57pm
Am I missing anything?

Only a breath or two. It's not really worth getting riled up over the opinion of some schmuck that felt the need to share his alternate version of reality through a letter to the editor, is it?

freein05
4-13-11, 7:31pm
The poor are the least likely to vote in the first place so the article is way off base.

ApatheticNoMore
4-13-11, 10:21pm
I think the biggest thing missing in Western society is that we seem to think in 5 second bursts. Nothing long term. We are all in a hurry to nowhere, seldom listen, and love to find opinions that agree with our point of view. In short, I think we have become almost a dysfunctional society.

+ 1

On a personal level - I am not concerned at all about how hard I work or am perceived to work.

honestly I would prefer to work as little as possible :). But I have no actual way to live off government for the rest of my life without working (be realistic now, no existing programs would allow that without outright fraud. I'm not a criminal.), nor do I have enough money to do so otherwise either.

I like this definition of wealth - You are wealthy when more money won’t change where you live, what you eat, what you wear, what you drive or who you sleep with.

I'd probably buy a house for cash, rather than live in my rental, but I'd buy right around here mind you :). The rest would not change.

Only a breath or two. It's not really worth getting riled up over the opinion of some schmuck that felt the need to share his alternate version of reality through a letter to the editor, is it?

+ 1

Some probably vote Democratic to maintain certain public spending, like welfare for a lifetime of not working, oh wait THAT DOESN'T EXIST. Like schools and so on. But frankly I think this is more the middle class than the really poor.

Tenngal
4-14-11, 1:44pm
this is absolute nonsense.........we all vote for the person we thing will be best for our country as a whole. I do admit that as I get older, I really see the need for social security and medicare.

bae
4-14-11, 1:46pm
this is absolute nonsense.........we all vote for the person we thing will be best for our country as a whole.

I rather doubt that, looking at the history of districts re-electing the same representatives whose only accomplishment is to bring home the bacon to their district. Once some of these guys get their snouts into the trough, theer position is safer than if they were on the old-school Soviet Politburo.

Poco Pelo
4-15-11, 11:51am
this is absolute nonsense.........we all vote for the person we thing will be best for our country as a whole.

No we do not get pick of the litter to vote for. who we vote for is the lesser evil, since our choices are who can raise the most money that become the final candidates.
Think about it....... was GW Bush or Al Gore the best our political system had to offer in 2000 ? :(

Poco Pelo
4-15-11, 11:55am
[QUOTE=Zigzagman;19305]Are you missing anything? I think the biggest thing missing in Western society is that we seem to think in 5 second bursts. Nothing long term. We are all in a hurry to nowhere, seldom listen, and love to find opinions that agree with our point of view. In short, I think we have become almost a dysfunctional society.
Well said

Where did all the hippies go? They were always outnumbered by the sh*t-kickers! :moon:
We got 'em C'mon over, we'll have you talking spanglish in no time

Bronxboy
4-15-11, 12:29pm
Being that nearly two-thirds of midterm election voters were over 45 in 2006, and turnout among the young dropped from 2006 to 2010, one can argue that older people elect their representatives (of both parties) to take from the young.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/socdemo/voting/publications/p20/2006/tables.html

http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/general/voting-behavior-10.pdf