PDA

View Full Version : Voluntary Simplicity classes start tonight!

Ultralight
1-20-16, 1:03pm
I am coordinating two North West Earth Institute courses on Voluntary Simplicity this winter. The classes are 6 weeks with one meeting each week. The meetings usually last an hour and a half. The courses are self-directed and in the old "consciousness raising" style where everyone sits in a circle and talks and listens.

http://www.nwei.org/discussion-course-books/voluntary-simplicity/

I have 12 people signed up for the Wednesdays class and 13 signed up for the Sundays class. I had to turn people away! Apparently there are more people interested in living simply than I thought!

The first class is tonight. We're going to do introductions and a couple ice breakers, like the 10 for 10 Simple Living Test. :)

Simple living community in real life. :)

iris lilies
1-20-16, 1:13pm
I am coordinating two North West Earth Institute courses on Voluntary Simplicity this winter. The classes are 6 weeks with one meeting each week. The meetings usually last an hour and a half. The courses are self-directed and in the old "consciousness raising" style where everyone sits in a circle and talks and listens.

http://www.nwei.org/discussion-course-books/voluntary-simplicity/

I have 12 people signed up for the Wednesdays class and 13 signed up for the Sundays class. I had to turn people away! Apparently there are more people interested in living simply than I thought!

The first class is tonight. We're going to do introductions and a couple ice breakers, like the 10 for 10 Simple Living Test. :)

Simple living community in real life. :)

hope this goes well! I hope you are left with participants at the end of the course. People will drop out, but if you end up with a small group who is highly interested, thats better than 12 who just want to get their finances in order.

Thats what a majority of people may be expecting--information about personal finance. Thats usually the second biggest focus at the beginning of a new year, the first being weight control.

iris lilies
1-20-16, 1:21pm
I just skimmed the NWei book's table of content. I have to say that is a limiting point of view. Earth sustainability seems to be the overarching principleo, which by definition is a "this is good for us, something we should do" rather than "this is fun and leads to a rich, self actualized life."

But good luck. presumably these people have reviewed the content of the course, and you can always go off on tangents about why simple living is personally rewading..

Be sure to send them here and to the MMM site as well.

Ultralight
1-20-16, 1:23pm
hope this goes well! I hope you are left with participants at the end of the course. People will drop out, but if you end up with a small group who is highly interested, thats better than 12 who just want to get their finances in order.

Thats what a majority of people may be expecting--information about personal finance. Thats usually the second biggest focus at the beginning of a new year, the first being weight control.

I have taken 4 other courses from the NWEI, including the Voluntary Simplicity class. There is usually like a 10% drop-out rate.

But it is not that serious of a course. Basically we just read a few articles in the class book about Voluntary Simplicity. Then we come to class and discuss them and the issues they highlight. At the end of each class session we pick some task do to -- clean out the closet or whatever. It is always something small that can be done in a week or less.

These classes are more about finding people who are like-minded already than converting anyone.

I still hang out with almost everyone from the classes I took previously -- we do potlucks, wine tastings (I give my wine to the lushes, haha), or other social events.

Ultralight
1-20-16, 1:25pm
I just skimmed the NWei book's table of content. I have to say that is a limiting point of view. Earth sustainability seems to be the overarching principleo, which by definition is a "this is good for us, something we should do" rather than "this is fun and leads to a rich, self actualized life."

But good luck. presumably these people have reviewed the content of the course, and you can always go off on tangents about why simple living is personally rewading..

Be sure to send them here and to the MMM site as well.

Oh yeah, it is for super-leftists. :)

Chicken lady
1-20-16, 1:33pm
Good luck. I tried to take that class. Everybody else who showed up was at least ten years older than I was and wanted to know where they could recycle (blank). I was a drop out - I looked at the group and what I was getting out of it and decided to simplify my life by not driving 45 minutes every week. Still have the book though. (Of course)

freshstart
1-20-16, 1:38pm
I think it's great you took this on and can share your wisdom with like-minded people. I have to google the Ten for Ten test.

Ultralight
1-20-16, 1:42pm
Good luck. I tried to take that class. Everybody else who showed up was at least ten years older than I was and wanted to know where they could recycle (blank). I was a drop out - I looked at the group and what I was getting out of it and decided to simplify my life by not driving 45 minutes every week. Still have the book though. (Of course)

Every class's demographics are different but it tends to (historically, apparently) attract people 60+ years old. So... I did the recruiting myself and have people from age 20 to 70, lots of folks are in the 30 to 50 range though. I brought in some people from the minimalist crew, the atheist crew, and a couple other similar groups. Then people who were in the class told their friends who they thought would be interested too.

Ultralight
1-20-16, 1:44pm
I think it's great you took this on and can share your wisdom with like-minded people. I have to google the Ten for Ten test.

I am actually just coordinating it -- recruiting the people, securing the location, getting free parking, and so forth. I will attend the classes and orient people to the NWEI class style and protocols. But I am going to hold my tongue for the most part. The class is more about self-discovery and exploration than my "wisdom!" haha

Thanks though, I mean it. :)

Ultralight
1-20-16, 2:05pm

I posted about the Ten for Ten Test on here before.

One column: List the most expensive material possessions you currently own that you bought. You can be currently paying for them or they can be paid off, either way. These are usually things like houses or cars. Non-physical things, like a college education don't count.

Second column: List the ten things that are most important to you and/or add the most value to your life. These can be physical things (like a house or car). They can also be non-physical things, like your Religion or your jogging hobby. These can be pets or siblings or a park you often visit -- anything!

When you have honestly, genuinely listed both sets of ten compare the two columns. Do the most expensive things serve the more important things? Do the most expensive things take away from the most important things? If you got rid of something expensive, could you spend more time on something that is more important/adds more value from the second column?

freshstart
1-20-16, 5:01pm
thanks for posting that because it didn't come up when I googled. I'm gonna take that test tomorrow

catherine
1-20-16, 6:18pm
I'm jealous! I've always wanted to take one of those classes from that group (or give one--but I'd have to walk the walk first)--wish I were in your class, UA! Good luck--you'll be great!

Ultralight
1-20-16, 9:37pm
thanks for posting that because it didn't come up when I googled. I'm gonna take that test tomorrow

People in the class did the Ten for Ten quiz. Very interesting revelations...

Ultralight
1-20-16, 9:38pm
I'm jealous! I've always wanted to take one of those classes from that group (or give one--but I'd have to walk the walk first)--wish I were in your class, UA! Good luck--you'll be great!

Believe me when I say you do not need to walk to the walk to take the class.

A friend in the class asked me how many possessions I own. I said: "About 150..."

Someone else said: "I have more than 150 in my junk drawer!"

Williamsmith
2-20-16, 3:20am
While I might be interested in the book, I am genrally not a "go to meeting" person. I've tried to understand this and mostly it's a privacy thing. I'm not comfortable expressing myself in a small group format if you can believe that or not, especially if they are strangers.

I don't mind a general pot luck dinner type thing but to be attending something I'm not the leader of and to have to follow along with someone else's gameplan......I'd be a drop out especially as soon as I decided anyone is a fake and only there to highlight their own achievements. I don't like being led.

Usually there will come a time in the class when the leader realizes I haven't participated and will ask me a question, then look out. They don't usually like what I say. Yeah, I guess I'm a loner. I could be in the mountain cabin, just me and the dog and never miss interacting with people for a very long time. But I would be a minimalist for sure.

Ultralight
2-29-16, 8:50am
While I might be interested in the book, I am genrally not a "go to meeting" person. I've tried to understand this and mostly it's a privacy thing. I'm not comfortable expressing myself in a small group format if you can believe that or not, especially if they are strangers.

These classes are quite possibly not for everyone. Though the vast majority of people who take the classes end up taking more classes from the NWEI or they take the Voluntary Simplicity class a few times, like every few years or so.

I don't mind a general pot luck dinner type thing but to be attending something I'm not the leader of and to have to follow along with someone else's gameplan......I'd be a drop out especially as soon as I decided anyone is a fake and only there to highlight their own achievements. I don't like being led.

I like potlucks, pretty much as a general rule. It is all the fun of going out to dinner, but cheaper and often with more variety! haha

The thing about these courses is that the gameplan the NWEI has is very loosely structured. I observed this by doing two classes at the same time. In one group a certain article got lots of discussion. In the other group total silence on that one. So beyond the very loose NWEI structure, the class is guided by the members on a rotating basis. I mostly just listened and observed. Though I did occasionally ask the tough questions.

Usually there will come a time in the class when the leader realizes I haven't participated and will ask me a question, then look out. They don't usually like what I say. Yeah, I guess I'm a loner. I could be in the mountain cabin, just me and the dog and never miss interacting with people for a very long time. But I would be a minimalist for sure.

Nothing wrong with being a loner. I feel you on that! That is sort of my natural inclination. Left alone I rarely get bored. I love fishing alone for hours -- even a whole day is great!

Ultralight
2-29-16, 8:53am
So the Sunday night class ended last night. Everyone seemed both sentimental about it ending and charged up to continue their journeys into voluntary simplicity. A couple people are probably going to go totally minimalist! :)

We are all going to meet up at least two more times. In a month we're having a potluck at one of the class member's houses. We'll mostly just socialize, but also discuss how our journeys are going a month after.

And then another member has a house on a lake, so she wants us to come out and have a dinner party there -- and perhaps go fishing. haha That'll be in June though, I reckon.

kally
2-29-16, 1:09pm
I am just gobsmacked at 150 items. Well done.

freshstart
2-29-16, 4:46pm
me, too

UA, do ever catch the consumerist bug and want to spend on something you just really, really want but cannot justify at all as a need?

Ultralight
2-29-16, 5:09pm
me, too

UA, do ever catch the consumerist bug and want to spend on something you just really, really want but cannot justify at all as a need?

Once in a while I think about buying a wallet. I used to have a real weakness for wallets. For the past couple years I have been just using a rubber band as a wallet -- minimalist, free, easy. I like it. But still, once in a while I want a "real" wallet! haha

Williamsmith
2-29-16, 5:40pm
UA, you remind me of the Direct TV settlers commercial. "Now mother, we are Settlers, I've settled for a rubber band all my life. I don't need a wallet. We find our satisfaction elsewhere."

Geez UA, with the money you are saving on your student loan payments, you think you could buy one skimpy little wallet? Get rid of the rubber band and you will still own 150 items......you do count the rubber band don't you?

freshstart
2-29-16, 5:43pm
Get rid of the rubber band and you will still own 150 items......you do count the rubber band don't you?

snort, that was a good one

I have to say I admire your tenacity and faithfulness to your beliefs, UA. I'm sure I could never do what you are doing.

Ultralight
2-29-16, 6:48pm
UA, you remind me of the Direct TV settlers commercial. "Now mother, we are Settlers, I've settled for a rubber band all my life. I don't need a wallet. We find our satisfaction elsewhere."

Geez UA, with the money you are saving on your student loan payments, you think you could buy one skimpy little wallet? Get rid of the rubber band and you will still own 150 items......you do count the rubber band don't you?

I am tempted to google that commercial! lol

I count the rubber band and the cards/fishing license/driver license/IDs/Etc. as my "wallet."

Ultralight
2-29-16, 6:49pm
Why a Rubber Band Is the Best Wallet I've Ever Had (http://lifehacker.com/5993929/why-the-band-wallet-is-the-best-wallet-ever)
http://lifehacker.com/5993929/why-the-band-wallet-is-the-best-wallet-ever (http://lifehacker.com/5993929/why-the-band-wallet-is-the-best-wallet-ever)

Chicken lady
2-29-16, 6:54pm
HA! Ultraliteangler has a rubber band and I just put my cards and money in my pockets!

Williamsmith
2-29-16, 8:55pm
UA I just remembered that my father used to have a rubber band for a wallet. He used the thin type twisted one time so that it formed a cross on both sides. I would do the same except my son gifted me a Ralph Lauren Polo leather credit card and ID holder type. It has the logo on it. Very stylish and speaks of my great taste in fine accessories. When waitresses and waiters see you bust out the rubber band wallet, they immediately think..."I ain't getting much of a tip."

Ultralight
2-29-16, 9:20pm
UA I just remembered that my father used to have a rubber band for a wallet. He used the thin type twisted one time so that it formed a cross on both sides. I would do the same except my son gifted me a Ralph Lauren Polo leather credit card and ID holder type. It has the logo on it. Very stylish and speaks of my great taste in fine accessories. When waitresses and waiters see you bust out the rubber band wallet, they immediately think..."I ain't getting much of a tip."

Ha!

I tip well. I try to do my part in ensuring people get a living wage!

ApatheticNoMore
2-29-16, 9:35pm
Wallets can be gotten at thrifts you know, they always seem to have a large selection around here. It's not like you have to buy brand new :~). I thought I was a little wacky not having a purse though maybe someday, but I do have a wallet.

Chicken lady
3-1-16, 7:07am
UL, you know I was teasing, right? I have a set of silverware with more than 150 pieces. I just thought it was funny to find a function for which you used an item and I did not. I mean, what are the odds?

Ultralight
3-1-16, 7:24am
UL, you know I was teasing, right? I have a set of silverware with more than 150 pieces. I just thought it was funny to find a function for which you used an item and I did not. I mean, what are the odds?

The odds are pretty slim! haha

freshstart
3-1-16, 8:11am
I gave my dad (impossible to buy for) a wallet that has RFID or protects against RFID, whatever. He liked the safety features but said he already has 2 wallets. I'm tempted to mail you one. Or you could make one out of duct tape, the kids made those and they were kind of cool.

Ultralight
5-16-16, 1:43pm
I decided to hold another NWEI Voluntary Simplicity class. It starts Wednesday night.

Again, more people tried to sign up than I had space for. I thought of doing two classes again, but that was a bit too much of an undertaking to do again.

So this class will have 13 people in it (including me).

I am in some senses struck by how many people just hear in Columbus want to take these classes and want to simplify their lives!

freshstart
5-16-16, 6:01pm
that's great! is there a way to get paid for running these types of classes? like offer them as continuing ed classes at a high school?

Ultralight
5-16-16, 6:04pm
Ha! Maybe, but it would not be much.

Ultralight
5-26-16, 12:45pm
The class is on its second session and so far it is going really well. I recommend taking the Northwest Earth Institute's classes -- especially Voluntary Simplicity -- if one has the chance!

You really can meet people of like-mind (if you are into NWEI type stuff) and bond quickly. It is like forming a tribe! :)

Ultralight
6-16-16, 2:51pm
I have one session left in this class. Last night was the second-to-last class.

Irony: Several people missed a class or two -- or three! -- (out of six) because they just had too much going on...

So they could not make it to their Voluntary Simplicity class. haha

But I have seen an awakening in one person and some strong realizations in a few others.

Lainey
6-17-16, 7:53pm
That's great, UA, because those who catch on will most likely spread the word to others. Voluntary Simplicity still seems like a small movement which people seem to hear about almost by accident.

Ultralight
6-23-16, 1:54pm
The last session of this class was last night.

7 of the 12 people in the class did not show up. The attendance dropped steadily from the first class on.

A couple people got sick, which happens. A few others seemed to just have competing obligations.

But I think what really got people -- what really kept them from attending -- was they just decided voluntary simplicity was not for them.

In the previous NWEI Voluntary Simplicity classes I organized there was one or two in each cohort. But in this one I think there was more like five.

I observed them and could sort of tell that voluntary simplicity was just something they could not get themselves on board with.

Float On
6-23-16, 2:04pm
Maybe 2groups should be offered:
Volunteer Simplicity - is it for you? An introduction to the various levels of simplicity. Find the place that is right for you.
Hard-Core Volunteer Simplicity - taking it to the next level. For those already involved in simplicity who are ready to go to extremes.

There are so many different views and levels.

Ultralight
6-23-16, 2:07pm
Maybe 2groups should be offered:
Volunteer Simplicity - is it for you. An introduction to the various levels of simplicity find the place that is right for you.
Hard-Core Volunteer Simplicity - taking it to the next level. For those already involved in simplicity who are ready to go to extremes.

There are so many different views and levels.

This is a good idea! And it could be fun. :)

So what I think is that, the people who take the classes and realize "it is not for them" think they can have it both ways.

They think they can have all the stuff, but still live in a decluttered house. They think they can have all the stuff, but not spend the money on it. They think they can declutter and stay decluttered with out any effort. Just read the book (maybe) and come to class (maybe) -- then abracadabra!

Float On
6-23-16, 2:19pm
If you look at a ladder. Some people it's a lot of effort to reach the first rung and that is their only goal and that is their happy place. Someone else may aim for the top rung. But there is no judgement, there is a place for everyone at whatever level they want to be. Maybe simplicity to someone is learning to declutter and be happy with less, maybe throw in some budgeting skills and goals. Maybe to someone else it's learning to only throw away one small bag of trash in an entire year, make their own deodorant (or go without), only have 12 items of clothing, etc. Having a non-judgemental overview type class would be more friendly to a larger audience. Your hard-core group is going to be smaller. I think the biggest advice is to not toss around judgements about what level others "should" be at.

Teacher Terry
6-23-16, 2:21pm
I have went to classes that I did not enjoy so quit going. The 2 that come to mind were belly dancing and yoga.

Ultralight
6-23-16, 2:38pm
If you look at a ladder. Some people it's a lot of effort to reach the first rung and that is their only goal and that is their happy place. Someone else may aim for the top rung. But there is no judgement, there is a place for everyone at whatever level they want to be. Maybe simplicity to someone is learning to declutter and be happy with less, maybe throw in some budgeting skills and goals. Maybe to someone else it's learning to only throw away one small bag of trash in an entire year, make their own deodorant (or go without), only have 12 items of clothing, etc. Having a non-judgemental overview type class would be more friendly to a larger audience. Your hard-core group is going to be smaller. I think the biggest advice is to not toss around judgements about what level others "should" be at.

I am not judgmental before or during the class. I am not judgmental to the people in the class. I am mostly there observing and making sure everyone has a time and space to talk and listen.

My anonymous reviews come back really good. And the regional NWEI representative has observed me facilitating. Again, strong reviews.

I like to reflect on the experiences of the class though and try to understand the participants, their motivations, their challenges, their successes.

Ultralight
6-23-16, 2:39pm
I have went to classes that I did not enjoy so quit going. The 2 that come to mind were belly dancing and yoga.

If folks did not enjoy it, I definitely think they should just drop. And a couple have. But I never tell them this.