PDA

View Full Version : house churches

Catwoman
4-14-11, 6:01am
Anyone involved in one? They are gaining in popularity and I just wondered about how the members liked being involved in such small groups.

Bastelmutti
4-14-11, 8:33am
I am not personally, but have perused this blog from a simple living perspective, and this family is involved in that movement: http://walkslowlylivewildly.com/

goldensmom
4-14-11, 9:09am
I'd also like to hear of personal experience with a house church. I've researched it some online but there is nothing local to check out personally. I think house churches are a perfectly valid form of worship seeing as that is the way it all started in the first century but I'm pretty much a traditionalist (traditional as in since the 1600's) so the idea of actually being part of a house church is out there for me.

Sad Eyed Lady
4-14-11, 9:24am
I've always been intrigued by the idea of house churches, but have no personal experience myself.

Stella
4-14-11, 9:54am
I'm Catholic, so a house church isn't really an option for me, but I think it's an interesting concept. I can see the appeal of it. I could see myself possibly participating in a prayer group that met at people's houses.

The blog Bastelmutti linked to had a post on house churches just a week or two ago.

Mrs. Hermit
4-14-11, 10:18am
We have been involved in house churches. We have had some very good experiences with the fellowship, encouragement, and closeness that come from being in a small group of believers. If the house church is thriving, it is a good environment to really get involved in people's lives, and have people around you that know you well enough to really pray for you, adivse and help you. It is also great place for hashing out ideas, and boy, your ideas can get challenged and debated!

Float On
4-14-11, 10:51am
Our involvement in one became negative because one man's 'teaching' was always off base (and he always wanted to 'teach') but I still like the concept of it.

We're kind of outside the norm. In our church building we have 3 churches. Our church is part owners of the building with one other church and then we have a 3rd renter. I keep the calendar. The other co-owner church has decided they can no longer afford a building and they are giving the house church concept a try. We just bought their part and still have the renter and are looking for a second church or school renter. The idea of having 2-3 churches share a facility is really pretty good, helps keep everyones expenses down.

domestic goddess
4-14-11, 11:31am
While I think the concept is interesting, my church building is used for things we would probably have to give up if we gave up the building. Where would we house the food pantry? The homeless shelter that meets a couple of nights a week in our basement? Our jr. and sr. high youth groups? Our nursery school, which meets daily? The different community groups, like AA and others, that meet in our building?
We have a lot of different activities and groups that meet, sometimes long term, sometimes short term, and people flow between the different groups. Not sure how that operates in a house church.
Maybe our church is just the kind of church for house churches.

goldensmom
4-14-11, 4:07pm
While I think the concept is interesting, my church building is used for things we would probably have to give up if we gave up the building. Where would we house the food pantry? The homeless shelter that meets a couple of nights a week in our basement? Our jr. and sr. high youth groups? Our nursery school, which meets daily? The different community groups, like AA and others, that meet in our building?
We have a lot of different activities and groups that meet, sometimes long term, sometimes short term, and people flow between the different groups. Not sure how that operates in a house church.
Maybe our church is just the kind of church for house churches.

The church you attend sounds quit active and involved in community outreach and I don't think all that could operate in a house church situation, not to the extent you describe. The link Bastelmutti suggested above gives a good overview of a house church. Once in the site, go to the drop down box on the left and scroll down to 'following Jesus'. This is pretty much what I've learned about house churches in my research. Thanks Bastelmutti for the link. There are pluses and minus to both worship settings.

bae
4-14-11, 4:21pm
The "house church" is how the Amish seemed to do things when I was growing up. The location constantly varied too, with the whole community showing up at someone different's farm each time. I thought it was a very interesting way of doing things.

Mrs-M
4-14-11, 4:50pm
The dream of house churches visits me often. I dream of living on acreage where a small quaint chapel could be built that would support the gathering of small groups of friends, family, and neighbours in order to congregate from time to time for prayer and celebration. A wood burning stove in the corner, an area for eating, and a small landscaped area for the kids to play. So homey.

KayLR
4-14-11, 7:52pm
The "house church" is how the Amish seemed to do things when I was growing up. The location constantly varied too, with the whole community showing up at someone different's farm each time. I thought it was a very interesting way of doing things.

It's actually the way Christian churches began -- period. There were no church buildings at the time of the disciples. People met in homes. And quaked and shook that they were listeningto and adhering to something new and outrageous.

domestic goddess
4-14-11, 8:54pm
Sorry. I meant to say "Maybe our church just isn't the kind of church for house churches. That changes things a bit.
Yes, our church is located in a suburb, near to a poor area in the city. There are many from the city who we serve.
We do make small, more intimate fellowships possible by having spiritual guidance groups, prayer buddies, and a variety of activities. Some groups meet to fill a need, and then disband when the need is no longer there. Other groups are more long-term. A large church doesn't have to be cold and distant. There are ways to make the experience more intimate, if people are willing to make it work. So far, it seems important to our congregation, and I think it mostly works well.

domestic goddess
4-14-11, 8:59pm
Actually, there were church buildings in the time of the disciples. They were called temples. Since most of the early Christians were Jews, the idea of worshipping in a larger building was not foreign to them. But the early Christians met in small groups in homes since there wasn't the money for a large building, and the danger of persecution was real. It surely isn't contrary to the values of early Christians to meet in designated church buildings.

KayLR
4-14-11, 9:23pm
Actually, there were church buildings in the time of the disciples. They were called temples. Since most of the early Christians were Jews, the idea of worshipping in a larger building was not foreign to them. But the early Christians met in small groups in homes since there wasn't the money for a large building, and the danger of persecution was real. It surely isn't contrary to the values of early Christians to meet in designated church buildings. Well, sure...of course there were temples... but as you go on to say--and agree with me---they met in small groups. Point taken.

Catwoman
4-14-11, 9:41pm
I am very interested in this movement...We have a Bible study that has met at our house for close to a year now, I think we may be moving in that direction. I still love traditional churches but can see how much good could come from a close small group who devotes their giving to larger projects, i.e., instead of a tithe to a church, fix up a house for someone in need, stock a food pantry, give a weekend of your time to a homeless mission, etc. I am pumped!!!!

janharker
4-16-11, 7:08pm
My church started out as a house church. Then, we found resistance to new people coming (from the new people, not from us), so we moved to a more public place, a small store front. We ultimately moved to a Sunday-school room of a church that has the available space. We've grown to 27 members, but still have the atmosphere of a house church. Different people provide the props for the worship service. E.g. my DH prepares and prints the bulletin, another couple brings the coffee and communion bread. I am the treasurer. And I make sure we have grape juice; another couple keeps us supplied in apple juice for the kids. Another lady brings flowers. We all find a way to contribute.

We have a written policy that no more than 50% of our giving will go to ourselves (facilities, salaries, etc.) Right now that is kept at under 20%, mostly because our preacher is retired and won't take a paycheck. So we discuss every week where we will give our offering. Generally half goes to local needs such as a food pantry and half goes to distant needs such as disaster relief. We don't just give out money. Because we're a small group, it's like a big family that goes out to do projects. For instance, we maintain landscaping and a vegetable garden for a group home for autistic kids.

One thing that can be a danger of small groups, such as a home church, is that they can get cliquish and judgmental about visitors. Thankfully, our group is welcoming and quick to get new people involved.

Midwife
4-16-11, 9:32pm
I am Midwife to a number of homechurch women, just attended on of their births yesterday.... They are usually headcovering, dress wearing, non hair cutting ladies, and seem to be a very cohesive group. I am also Midwife to many Amish and Mennonite families, and they all seem to be equally as dedicated to their doctrine etc. Most homechurch communities are small, five families or so, and then they may break out and start a new home church. They are all wonderful people!

domestic goddess
4-16-11, 11:46pm
Not all in large churches are tithing strictly to pay pastoral salaries and church utilities, with buildings standing empty during the week. There is some sort of meeting of a group in our church in the building most nights, and there are gatherings of small groups of people with varied interests. We have a "dinner and a movie" group once a month, spiritual guidance groups, groups geared to various age groups from jr. high to us "prime timers" (some of whom may be a little past their prime!), singles, those with young children, etc. There is a food pantry, a walk-in ministry, PADS, and various partnerships with churches and organizations in the adjoining inner city neighborhood. A good number of people attend the monthly birthday parties at a facility that provides services to the poor who have been released from the hospital, often without anyone finding out if they have the ability to receive follow-up care. Many of those folk have said that they never had a birthday party, and they always enjoy these events. We have a nursery school in the church that has been there for upwards of 20 years, and we, of course, have gotten a number of new members from that. Our church is active in GLBT issues, and we have a number of gay members and a lesbian pastor. This is the kind of diversity I love, and think would be hard for me to find in a homechurch.

janharker
4-17-11, 1:31pm
I often miss the energy that comes from a larger church. And all those activities. With a small church we just don't have the resources to have those sorts of things. Still, we do what we can, learn from the Bible, and support each other.

BTW, while my small church started out as a house church and still has the same sort of atmosphere, but we don't cover our heads, only 2 women today had on dresses (one was a business suit), and our professions range from lawyers to engineers to doctors to homemakers. Reformed theology, but 2 of us drive roadster sports cars.

poetry_writer
5-8-11, 2:45pm
I dont go to a house church, but my church has home Bible study groups. I have made some of the best friends of my life who have supported me through some hard times in life. We can go there and spill our guts about what is going on and still be loved! We pray for each other, encourage each other and its been wonderful. We share a simple meal before we start our Bible study and discussion time. Then we share our hearts, concerns, pain and have prayer.

Anne Lee
5-8-11, 10:54pm
After some bad experiences in a small, tightly knit church I prefer the "space" that a larger church gives me.

Packratona!
7-26-11, 10:59pm
Actually, there were church buildings in the time of the disciples. They were called temples. Since most of the early Christians were Jews, the idea of worshipping in a larger building was not foreign to them. But the early Christians met in small groups in homes since there wasn't the money for a large building, and the danger of persecution was real. It surely isn't contrary to the values of early Christians to meet in designated church buildings.

Um, actually they were not called temples. There was one temple in Jerusalem where they including Jesus attended on Jewish holidays if they could get there. Otherwise they met in local synagogues, again, if they could get there. But local synagogues were very small, family based, and yes, often met in large homes if available. A synagogue is a different thing from the Temple. They did not meet in small groups in homes because the danger of persecution was real. They did it because that was the custom. The erection of large costly "church" buildings was a later development, modeled after the pagan temples which were erected for instance by King Herod in honor of various gods, during the "Second Temple" period.