PDA

View Full Version : Reflections on very successful holiday gifting at work

rosarugosa
2-19-16, 4:58am
In work this past year, we had agreed that the supervisors in our dept. would spend about $10 per gift to buy small gifts for the associates on our teams. I always buy several amaryllises for the holidays, so this year I got a couple of cases of bulbs, and gave them as work gifts too. I believe the case price worked out to be about $11.00 each from Scheepers. My team had so much fun with them. They named them and engaged in a friendly competition of whose was growing fastest. They checked on them first thing every morning, and of course, they were blown away by how magnificent they were in bloom. I also got the bonus of being surrounded by amaryllis flowers in work as well as at home. So overall, this was one of my most successful gift giving experiences I ever had, so I thought it was worth sharing.

sweetana3
2-19-16, 5:32am
My motherinlaw loves the bulbs we give her. A gift that lasts a long time.

iris lilies
2-19-16, 5:59am
That is indeed a great gift experience! I like the sound of that very much. We have Amaryllis plants here, DH grows a few every year. It is such a wonderful surprise when they bloom.

razz
2-19-16, 6:51am
Those are lovely gifts and enjoyable to watch grow. I bought myself two but different varieties. One popped right up and the other took a month before it started to show any life at all. If your crew had a similar experiences timewise, it was an extra bonus.

freshstart
2-19-16, 7:20am
that is a great idea!

we stopped exchanging at work, sometimes we did Secret Santa. One floor I worked on, the dept head decided to give each of us a gift that year. It was one of those plastic clothes hangers you get for 10 for $1. Bizarre, yet frugal, choice, lol

Gardenarian
2-19-16, 1:33pm
What a great idea!
Will amaryllis bloom again the next year?

razz
2-19-16, 3:49pm
What a great idea!
Will amaryllis bloom again the next year?
My sister has successfully had them rebloom after sitting in the garden for the summer. This past fall, she advised that one bulb had three stems come up. Like everything else, one must do the steps thoughtfully and the odds are then good.

iris lilies
2-19-16, 7:41pm
SH puts his amaryllis plants out in the sun each summer to build up the bulb, and they bloom the following winter.

Lainey
2-21-16, 6:05pm
. . . This past fall, she advised that one bulb had three stems come up. Like everything else, one must do the steps thoughtfully and the odds are then good.

Except this is what happened to mine - I had 3 giant green stems, each almost 2 feet tall, come up, but no flower! Maybe I got a "recycled" bulb, or I have the blackest thumb ever ..