PDA

View Full Version : Year two of the elephant

Chicken lady
2-23-16, 4:08pm
So a year ago I started the thread about "eating the elephant". I expected it to take two years. I now think it will take the same "two years" it took my dh to finish school after we got married. We celebrated out 5th Christmas together before that "two years" ended.

i have cleared out a lot of things. I think most of the areas of the house are better, but it's hard to tell because a lot is still packed up.

there have been increases only in the doll collection and studio equipment, but the studio as job took it's first baby steps.

The repairs are finished on the old basement and most of the old rug is gone.

the basement is dug and the new foundation poured, but there is still stuff belonging to the contractors in the new basement. The new basement also has windows and an exterior door.

the addition has framing, sheathing, a subfloor, tyvec, tar paper and a chimney. We poured two small concrete porch floors.

in the next year:

I want to continue to make progress on the sorting, purging, organizing of the house/barn/studio contents. I would like to have my closet totally finished and my studio completely set up. I want to sort through and right size the decoration for each holiday - starting with Easter in March.

i expect to have the roofing finished, the windows and doors installed, and the siding on. I would also like to have the yard graded and the new electrical service installed. I hope to have the new basement cleared out and usable.

wiring, drywall, and flooring are stretch goals. So are getting all the books back on shelves and accessible, and having three inviting guest rooms. Maybe painting the walls in the old basement.

if anybody cares to join me for another round of elephant, I welcome the company.

Ultralight
2-23-16, 4:11pm
So a year ago I started the thread about "eating the elephant". I expected it to take two years. I now think it will take the same "two years" it took my dh to finish school after we got married. We celebrated out 5th Christmas together before that "two years" ended.

i have cleared out a lot of things. I think most of the areas of the house are better, but it's hard to tell because a lot is still packed up.

there have been increases only in the doll collection and studio equipment, but the studio as job took it's first baby steps.

The repairs are finished on the old basement and most of the old rug is gone.

the basement is dug and the new foundation poured, but there is still stuff belonging to the contractors in the new basement. The new basement also has windows and an exterior door.

the addition has framing, sheathing, a subfloor, tyvec, tar paper and a chimney. We poured two small concrete porch floors.

in the next year:

I want to continue to make progress on the sorting, purging, organizing of the house/barn/studio contents. I would like to have my closet totally finished and my studio completely set up. I want to sort through and right size the decoration for each holiday - starting with Easter in March.

i expect to have the roofing finished, the windows and doors installed, and the siding on. I would also like to have the yard graded and the new electrical service installed. I hope to have the new basement cleared out and usable.

wiring, drywall, and flooring are stretch goals. So are getting all the books back on shelves and accessible, and having three inviting guest rooms. Maybe painting the walls in the old basement.

if anybody cares to join me for another round of elephant, I welcome the company.

Keep us posted here!

mschrisgo2
2-24-16, 4:31am
I'm happy to join in as part of your cheering section. I have such great admiration and respect for what you accomplished this past year! Some how, I can feel that you will even reach your stretch goals this year :)

iris lilies
2-24-16, 11:16am
OP, your progress is good, and your detailing of it even better. Continue on in your narrative, it is interesting.

freshstart
2-24-16, 11:23am
job well done so far!

I'd like to join in, my goal is to ruthlessly purge my area of the house over 6 mos (I have to give myself long time goals or the date comes and goes and I've done nothing) and then start on the hoarded basement box by box. I figure since it took my mother decades to accumulate this crap, it is going to be very slow going and I am naive if I think I am getting anything past her without her approval. And I know you are not supposed to do that to hoarders anyway, it's just very overwhelming knowing she has to be part of it and she cannot even get down there. I'm eating an elephant that bites and growls.

Chicken lady
2-24-16, 7:04pm
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

I'm sorry you're dealing with that, but it's nice to have someone else along with a long term project. We can encourage each other to keep taking bites when the progress seems slow.

freshstart
2-24-16, 7:34pm
I'm motivated by what you accomplished last year

Teacher Terry
2-25-16, 3:25pm
Keep up the good work everyone!

Chicken lady
2-25-16, 9:04pm
I spent a lot of time puttering today, which is helping me feel more centered. Everything got so disorganized being packed up and shifted around.

I found the tin with the advent garland my aunt made for me - I knew I hadn't permanently lost it, but I was really angry that I couldn't find it to put it up in December.

i found two bins of clothes I had packed away and was able to toss a whole bin full into goodwill without even trying them on. Put the rest back in one bin and set them aside so I didn't get derailed.

have all the holiday stuff I have found so far on one storage rack, grouped by holiday. (this partly cleared out both guest room closets)

purged the the linens a little bit

started grouping craft stuff by type of project (would like to get rid of the glass painting stuff, but can't find it - wonder if I got rid of it and forgot?)

started grouping all the empty picture frames and homeless framed pictures on one a card table in the basement.

freshstart
2-25-16, 9:08pm
good job, that's a lot in one day!

Lainey
2-25-16, 9:22pm
... grouping craft stuff by type of project ...

started grouping all the empty picture frames and homeless framed pictures on one a card table in the basement.

Interesting, Chicken lady, because I've been using that trick for decluttering, even before Marie Kondo's book which basically recommends the same technique, and it is very helpful in a) seeing every similar thing in one place and b) enabling quick decisions about what to keep and what can be discarded.

Enjoy reading about your progress.

Chicken lady
2-25-16, 10:00pm
Well, in my case it's more that everything got scattered. Things were packed away by what fit best where rather than what started where, so, for example, the sewing stuff started out in the same place, but ended up in 5 different rooms and dozens of boxes.

mschrisgo2
2-26-16, 12:39am
Wow, Chicken Lady, that's great progress for a day of "puttering." Congratulations on not letting yourself get derailed.

Chicken lady
2-29-16, 8:48am
I mostly did farm work over the weekend, but my dd came by and helped me purge a few things, and I'm still gathering pictures/frames. There is a lot of art stuff in dd2's room and she will be home next week. I'd like to get her room down to just her stuff. (Well, and a little bit of my stuff - there is a beach themed decorative wall shelf in the room with my shells and photos. But she's in some of the photos.)

meanwhile, dh started working on grading the yard. The clay is still much too wet in most areas, but he did manage to scoop semi- dry clay off the highest spots and dump it in the standing water. He eliminated several decorative pond sized puddles.

mschrisgo2
3-2-16, 2:54am
Ooh, unintentional ponds gone, cool. What is your plan for where the art stuff will live?
(I'm assuming you mean what I would call arts & crafts supplies/materials/tools)
Does it go to the basement, studio, or- ?

Chicken lady
3-2-16, 7:00am
Actually that "art stuff" is work done by my kids (mostly the girls who both have/art getting art related degrees). I put it with the frames. I intend to frame some of it to hang and put some of the other (mostly younger) stuff in some kind of book.

the arts and crafts stuff is still stashed all over everywhere and I still don't know where it's permanent home(s) will be, except that I want to only have pottery and soap making stuff in the barn studio/workshop. I'm thinking about keeping the active sewing stuff ("tools", mending, thread, project underway - the fabric stash is too big for the closet) in one of the guest rooms.

mschrisgo2
3-4-16, 12:13am
Ah, the fabric stash... I have 12 bankers box sized plastic cartons full, stacked in the corner in my bedroom, plus 5 flats (18x24) under my bed. Notions (and other craft tools) are all sorted into 2 rolling carts under my work table. Quilting rulers are in the bottom drawer of a dresser in my bedroom... and about a dozen 9x13 plastic bins, with patterns and projects-in-progress, and 2 shelves of mostly quilting books, but some paper art books too. Oh, and two 3-drawer bins of scrapbooking paper. I finally got real about the crafts, and gave away or sold everything except quilting/sewing/paper arts. It was very liberating!

Chicken lady
3-7-16, 4:14pm
I'm afraid to count the fabric bins!

we just got back from a 1500 mile round trip. Memorial for dh grandfather, where we saw many of his relatives, stopped overnight at my parent's, where I traded a LOT of Christmas tins for two ziplock bags of lace and sewing notions, 8 rolls of crochet thread and a handful of crochet hooks for dd, and a chefs apron for future son in law. Tossed out the shoes I wore to the service because they split (afterward thankfully) and picked up dd at college and brought her home for spring break.

the weather has improved and the roofers come back tomorrow.

mschrisgo2
3-8-16, 1:20am
Yay for roofers!
Sounds like you packed a lot of significant events into your trip. Is this daughter as good at helping you declutter as her sister is?

Chicken lady
3-8-16, 8:17am
No. This daughter is an enabler. She's my motivation not to pass the hoarding on to another generation! We are learning to let go together. At least I started her learning at 17 instead of 45!

i was exhausted last night. Now it's time to unpack and get regrouped to go back to work tomorrow.

Chicken lady
3-8-16, 10:31pm
The roofers finished the dormer and shingled one big surface of the new roof (out of 4 big surfaces and 2 small ones). They are coming back tomorrow.

i planted some of the herbs for my daughter's wedding favors using starter pots that had been sitting in my barn for 4 years. It's only a nibble, but it's the right direction.

Chicken lady
3-10-16, 9:38am
The roofers didn't get too much done yesterday because the rain showed up early, BUT it rained all night and my basement is dry.

the windows were delivered this morning, more shingles to come some time today, and framing inspection this afternoon. More rain, so I'll be working inside.

dh and I are discussing siding.

mschrisgo2
3-10-16, 1:09pm
Great progress on the building! I'll bet you were happy not to wake up to a wet basement. Hopefully those days are history now. Hope all goes well with the inspection.

Chicken lady
3-11-16, 7:24am
The shingles are here. There are two places in the framing where code says we need an additional stud - dh is going to put those in this weekend. I'm taking another batch of molds to school today. I also cleaned out a file yesterday while working on some related stuff. more incremental progress.

the roofers were not planning to come today because it was supposed to rain, but now the weather looks good. I'll be gone all day, (work and groceries) so I'll have to see if they came by looking at the roof when I get home. There is only one day next week when it isn't supposed to rain. Maybe the roof will be done by the end of March.

then we will be done spending money for a while. dh and I are going to put in the windows - slowly - with the help of our kids and possibly friends or hired kids belonging to other people - cheap raw muscle. The next big expense will be the siding. Since I don't work in the summer, that might wait for fall.

Chicken lady
3-11-16, 9:47pm
Almost the entire new roof is done (they left about 9 square feet instead of breaking open the next pack of shingles)

Next week they should begin replacing the old roof and continue over the top of the original house and garage.

Chicken lady
3-13-16, 11:50am
Yesterday dh worked on the yard grading/drainage again.

i cleaned stalls, which isn't elephant work, except that I laid out some of the cardboard that had accumulated in the barn under the used bedding where I was putting it out as mulch.

2 steps back - it has been very warm the last few days and the bottom of the floorboards (the new basement section that had so much water) are growing mildew/mold. I'm going to have to scrub the whole thing with bleach. Dh is buying a dehumidifier.

mschrisgo2
3-16-16, 7:37pm
How will you deal long term with the possibility if mildew/mold in there? Does the dehumidifier take care of it? (I have no experience with such things)

Chicken lady
3-16-16, 8:18pm
I think the dehumidifier will take care of it. Possibly it won't even be needed - the problem was months of rain and snow on the tops of the boards and repeated flooding below them. The roof is on the addition and starting across the existing house, so there should be no more rain on the subfloor!

Chicken lady
3-19-16, 3:12pm
We have roof on everything but the front slope of the house - which includes two dormers. It looks good!

ds came home today to help and he and dh are installing the first window. Ds also has a grocery bag of assorted household stuff he gathered up this morning to take with him while dh was buying notions (or whatever the term is for the construction equivalent of thread and buttons - lol!)

Tammy
3-20-16, 12:53am
Notions. I like it. :)

Sometimes I can't think of the word (utensils) so I call my kitchen things "tools".

Chicken lady
3-20-16, 5:56pm
3 pies and a pile of roast beef sandwiches later I have seven new windows! Nine windows and three doors to go. Five of the windows are really big and will require scaffolding and/or more than two guys to install.

mschrisgo2
3-20-16, 6:59pm
Seven windows installed, Wow!! What an accomplishment!

nswef
3-20-16, 7:17pm
CL That is amazing!!!

Chicken lady
3-20-16, 8:26pm
My crew does good work. :-)

tomorrow I meet with the guy who is going to put in the new fuse box/electrical service for the addition (actually his sons do the work). Dh explained the wiring diagram and calculations to me, but said I can just show the guy. Dh is going to do all the post - box wiring, but tomorrow we have to confirm that (the guy is ok with dh numbers and ) we can run a service large enough without digging a second line from the big green power company box. Also we'll be deciding where the new breakerbox goes and then the guy will send us a quote.

i don't know if the hired guys will work on the roof tomorrow or not, it's supposed to be kind of cold. But Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday look good (Wednesday there might be rain) so I am guessing they'll be done shingling by the end of the week. We still need flashing and gutters.

i don't know if I've mentioned that our roofers are a father-son team. The guy who did our basement repair was working for his uncle - his dad was the contractor for the new foundation. I kind of want to put up a sign that says "this house built by a bunch of local guys and their kids." It makes me happy.

Chicken lady
3-23-16, 8:13am
Yesterday I started helping my heart daughter move. She wasn't exactly ready, so we didn't get very far, but fortunately the rain has been pushed to tomorrow, so hopefully she packed like a machine last night and we can at least empty the house of furniture today. I took her a bookshelf from my basement.

i drive past goodwill to get to her neighborhood, so I am going to put the giant pile of goodwill stuff that is in the barn into the back of my truck and drop it off on the way this morning.

my shingles are done except for a line of cap on the peak - they ran out, so that will hopefully get done today.

mschrisgo2
3-23-16, 4:41pm
Yay for shingles finished, yay for Goodwill donation delivered, yay for bookcase gone to DD. Hopefully she got her move completed. When does your window crew gather again? Is the electrical installation on track?

Chicken lady
3-23-16, 9:10pm
Dh and the high voltage guy are still discussing the new panel. The guy things dh can do what he wants with less capacity cheaper, so they are going to go over the numbers together.

the move isn't over, but my part is done. What's left is furniture too big for us to carry - she's hiring "two men and a truck" to come tomorrow, and small stuff that she just has to box and take over in her car - like kitchen stuff, laundry room... (it's three city blocks)

i feel feel good about having that goodwill pile gone. I filled their bin on wheels.

Chicken lady
3-25-16, 3:54pm
This morning we took four cans of mostly construction debris up to the curb (the other two cans were too heavy).

after trash pick up we brought the cans back down and cleaned up around the porches. We've got five cans ready to go up next week (we get 6 can service limited to 40lb/can and we're saving can #6 for household garbage to topped off later). It will probably take three weeks to completely clean up from the shingling. It's not so much the volume as the weight.

dh also took a load of metal scrap to the recycling center and brought back $50, which he points out we already more than spent on materials - it's like the $1.00 rebate by mail on the $15 bottle of wine. Only not as good. I think he was afraid I'd want to go out to dinner.

He's trying to decide if we're going to do the small windows I can help lift or if he's going to replace the exterior outlet he removed to allow for a wall.

nswef
3-25-16, 5:41pm
That's wonderful to get rid of the 4 big cans and ready to go with the rest.

Chicken lady
3-25-16, 9:03pm
We put in a window. We only put in one because there was a problem with a flange and we basically put it in twice. - dh caulked, started nailing at the top, got close to the bottom and said "this is bent. I don't think it was attached correctly." (Pull nails, pull window, straighten flange, secure flange on window frame, reinstall window....)

we we also moved our porch chairs to our back porch. Even though it isn't done yet.

Chicken lady
3-26-16, 8:35pm
Today I worked on the garden, but dh worked on the house. He moved my dryer vent and started relocating some of the wiring from the existing house that will be used differently (example - outside light that would have been inside is now an electrical outlet near the floor)

he was basically trying to get jobs done he could finish with parts from his workbench and extra bits and pieces from the construction, but I think he ran out. He made a list of stuff to buy as he went along.

mschrisgo2
4-1-16, 9:29pm
Plans for weekend work? More windows?

Chicken lady
4-2-16, 11:32am
Ds is here and went with dh and our truck to pick up a desk (for him) then they are coming back to do doors and/or windows. Future son in law and dd1 are probably coming out later today too.

the carpenters finished off all the interior framing details and are putting the metal trim and eaves on around the roof. After that they will do gutters and downspouts and their part will be finished.

we are nearing an agreement about the siding.

danna
4-2-16, 12:11pm
You are both getting so much done it is inspiring!

Chicken lady
4-2-16, 6:57pm
They decided to do the front door. It looks really nice. We're just going to spend the evening relaxing - and gave a fire because it's been very cold and windy all day.

Chicken lady
4-3-16, 7:27pm
Today we did the two little windows next to the front door. Dh also has the back door ready to put in place, but I'm not strong enough to help him lift it.

additional clearing out from yesterday - half a bin of ds's childhood toys and dd took a stack of fabric the size of two bed pillows to make table runners for her wedding, plus a gallon ziplock bag of candles to make centerpieces.

mschrisgo2
4-3-16, 9:16pm
Wonderful progress! You are your crew are an inspiration!

Chicken lady
4-5-16, 2:49pm
Remember about bleaching the basement ceiling? I kind of put it off. Got down there for 45 minutes yesterday and an hour today. I think there's another 45 minutes and then recheck in a month. Right now I have a mild headache and my house smells like it used to at the end of day 3 when the kids had a three day swim meet.

also my arms and shoulders are sore. The stuff I did yesterday looked really good today though.

Chicken lady
4-10-16, 8:44pm
Dd1 came by this afternoon and helped put the back door in. Then dh and I did the little window beside it.

one more door - side door, and 5 gigantic windows to go in. The windows have to be assembled from multiple sections, which I can help with, and then lifted into place - which is going to require more manpower.

we filled all the trash cans again.

more bleaching tomorrow.

the electric service has been rescheduled for Thursday because there have been a lot of wind storms in our area and people needed power.

Chicken lady
4-12-16, 7:01am
Yesterday I "finished" bleaching the ceiling (there are still spots that will need to be hit again, but all the surfaces have been sprayed at least once and it looks way better.

then I stopped to admire my work and a drop of bleach fell from the ceiling, behind my glasses, and into the corner of my eye.

rinse, call a friend for a ride, urgent care, numbing drops, more rinse, anti-inflammatory drops, sent home with antibiotic drops, a painkiller that is overkill, and directions to not rub it. Today it is red and itchy and gummy and my vision is just a touch blurry. They said the blurry should be gone by Thursday.

Thoughts this morning - do I add the $35 copay and Rx to the cost of the addition? And - I am deeply grateful that we have good insurance! (From a job that did not release dh from a meeting to go pick up his wife at urgent care - no free lunch.)

freshstart
4-12-16, 11:09am
oh, jeez, that doesn't sound fun! glad it should be better soon

Chicken lady
4-14-16, 7:42pm
The new electric panel is in - they will call tomorrow or Monday about the inspection.

the gutters come Monday. Once they are installed we will be done with all the external work that is to be hired out (except the basement guys are going to come regrade if the yard ever dries out, but that was paid for when the concrete was poured.)

we will probably take a break except for installing windows (and minor cleaning out and organizing) whenever help is available until after Dd's wedding in June. Then we'll buy siding and I will start painting during the week and on weekends we will put up whatever I have done and dh will work on wiring and plumbing.

i will get back to the big cleaning out and organizing after the wedding also - I do not work in June, July, or August. And ds will have moved all of his stuff that is stored in our barn to Wisconsin.

Chicken lady
4-16-16, 10:39pm
Dd2 is home this weekend for dd1's bridal shower. We put another window in.

freshstart
4-16-16, 10:43pm
I think you are eating that elephant in big heaping forkfuls, color me impressed

Chicken lady
4-17-16, 9:34pm
It still feels slow. I took dd back today. She left behind most of what she brought home so that she won't have as much to bring at the end of the semester (in three weeks). Her room is a mess.

4 Windows and a door yet to go. Only one window that we can put in with me, dh, and any other adult.

mschrisgo2
4-18-16, 2:01am
We get to hear about what's been accomplished, but don't see what's left to be done, and the rapid accomplishments are impressive. It must be a little frustrating to put the momentum you've had going on hold, and I'm sure you'd rather it all be done before DD1's wedding. But you have made incredible progress in the last year!

I'm thinking when DS is home for the summer, he will help rustle up some other helpers and get all those windows in, in record time.

Chicken lady
4-18-16, 9:02am
Ds won't be home for the summer. :(

he will be home for part of May and the weekend of the wedding. He got a job and he's moving to Wisconsin. I'm really sad about that, but he reassures me that the money is really good and it's a starter job - (average employee age is 24) so he only plans to be in Wisconsin for 2-4 years. "I didn't go far away to college, so just pretend I'm the youngest and now I am."

his girlfriend's mom lives about an hour from us and there is a strong pull there, so I'm pretty sure they will come back. Sometimes he teases me "maybe I'll love Wisconsin!" And then she gives him a dirty look.

gutter guys should be here soon.

Teacher Terry
4-18-16, 9:07pm
As someone who has lived away from family and close to them and my kids have done the same just because he is leaving does not mean he will stay there. YOu just never know. The only reason we ended up leaving was for jobs. My boys had an adventurous spirit so moved around more when young. After launching them I moved West for a better job and eventually they all moved here. Now only 1 lives here. My DIL is from Poland and misses her family a lot but with Skype she talks to them almost everyday and can see them which is great. She flies home about once every 2 years. they could live there and my son would but the jobs are not plentiful. Many Poles have had to move to Germany in the past to work. It is really, really hard at first but you adjust with time. My Mom said the same thing when my first hubby was in the service and I left home at 19. Back then it cost a fortune to make long distance phone calls as I am sure you remember. Much easier to stay close now. Hugs>8)

Tammy
4-19-16, 11:49am
My daughter has been in Canada since 2005. We see each other 1-2 times a year. It's really ok! We talk daily on social media. I feel very close to her.

mschrisgo2
4-19-16, 9:12pm
Aw, CL, I'm sorry DS is moving away soon. I know that feeling. My daughter followed a boyfriend from California to Connecticut when she was 22. Same sort of reasoning, she hadn't gone away for college.... We had traveled extensively. though, and it just seemed like another grand adventure to her. Six months later, as she realized he had no intention of coming back to CA _ever_ she was on a plane on her way back, and has stayed within a 30 mile radius of me ever since.

Chicken lady
4-19-16, 10:50pm
He doesn't want to go because he wants to go away. He wants to go because he is young, semi-single, childless and the money is terrific. He plans to sock it away like a squirrel, or maybe not so much like a squirrel, since they forget where they put stuff. He figures he can save half his after tax and still feel rich compared to college. His gf did talk him into a nicer apartment, but she'll also be paying half the rent. (Ultraliteangler would love this girl. She hates to have my ds pay for anything. Otoh, she has a lot of stuff.)

and mschrisgo2, I think if ds told the gf he was never coming back - she'd also run back to her mama like a shot.

gutter work is proceeding slowly. Kidding season is keeping me busy in the barn.

Chicken lady
4-23-16, 9:09pm
Two short pieces of gutter left to go up and a bunch of metal flashing.

two of dh friends came over this afternoon and we got the last door and the big scary window over the kitchen sink (and outside the drop down the basement stairs) installed. 3 more big windows. Dh has to put them together first - they are stacked casements.

mschrisgo2
4-23-16, 11:53pm
Congratulations on the last door and the Big Scary Window! Only 3 windows to go, and the gutter is almost done too. Excellent! How many kids do you have so far?

Chicken lady
4-24-16, 10:19am
Lol! It took me a second to remember I commented on kidding season. 10 kids. 3 does, 7 bucks. There were 8 bucks, but one was a runt and only lived two hours. I would be happier if the balance skewed the other way, but I still have 4 to kid out. Mostly first freshers, so I'm expecting singles.

Dd and future son in law are coming for dinner tonight and said they will help put a window in if it's ready, so dh is going to try to get it assembled today. He also wants to put lintels and doorknobs on the doors.

mschrisgo2
4-24-16, 4:24pm
Cool! On the kids, and the possible window install today.
Hey, is a "lintel" the same as a "header"? (I had to look it up, checking to be sure I understood it...)

Chicken lady
4-24-16, 4:34pm
Technically yes, except in this case it's not load bearing - the headers are already in, this is just a thin piece that goes over the top and closes everything up tight. Because there was a little space left so the door could be leveled and squared.

Chicken lady
4-24-16, 9:44pm
Had a nice dinner and got the window in. Two left. Both need a four person team, and also dh needs some parts we don't have to assemble them correctly. Those are ordered, so we're waiting for them to come in.

Dh says the next step is siding. After discussing it at length and looking into a variety of options, we've decided to do what I wanted to do the whole time, which is match the existing green stained cedar plank and unstained shake accents.

whenever we get the boards, I'll start staining them on sawhorses during the week and then we'll put up whatever I've finished/ we have time for on the weekends. If the weather is bad on the weekend he'll do electric or plumbing work instead.

i already know what I want for Christmas - drywall.

Chicken lady
4-26-16, 6:27pm
I got called in to work today, and while I was gone, the guys beat the rain and finished my gutters and flashing!

Lainey
4-26-16, 8:32pm
i already know what I want for Christmas - drywall. Most frugal and simple want for Christmas ever:)

Chicken lady
4-26-16, 9:12pm
One year I got a utility sink. And my last birthday I got an outdoor spigot.

dh said he thought I was a real bargain - I didn't want fancy clothes or jewelry, I didn't want to eat out, I was perfectly happy watching movies on the vcr or at the 75 cent theatre.

then he realized I wanted real estate.

Zoe Girl
4-27-16, 10:58am
The year I got a potting bench and a pitchfork was a great one, there was one year my ex listened to other guys and I got 3 fancy outfits like suits with short skirts. Very cute but not me at all, he recovered however!

Tenngal
4-27-16, 4:35pm
I cleaned off the front porch and threw away lots of old planters that should have been done away with several years ago. Spray painted the rocking chairs so now they are shiny and clean. Put out some flowers in containers and put out 2 hummingbird feeders. I think I am also realizing that I have been overweight since my twenties and need to do away with lots of clothes, leaving room for those I really do wear. I long for a clutter free environment.

Chicken lady
4-27-16, 5:56pm
So Tenngal, is that your elephant? Are you going to tackle your whole environment, or just the closet(s)?

i confess that I have been focused more on the building side of the elephant than the purging side lately. I never quite finished the pottery molds, I have added more bits and pieces to the studio, the month of April offered me several bargains for the doll collection that I jumped at, and I even bought two new dresses this week (my summer is full of "important events")

i need to to revisit the closet and dresser. I noticed this morning that the pair of work (as in going to work) pants I'm wearing need to be demoted to work (as in cleaning stalls) pants. Meanwhile I have four pairs of "dress pants" that I almost never wear - that I could wear to work if I wasn't trying to keep them "nice".

My youngest is coming home from college is a week and a half, and my mom is coming to visit for ds's graduation two weeks from tomorrow, and ds is moving all his stuff back here temporarily, so I really should hit the indoor spaces again.

Chicken lady
4-28-16, 8:40pm
The "last" of the non-metal, non-wood construction debris are up at the road for collection (I'm sure I'll continue to find random bits for months if not years.

i also threw out a small throw rug that was too worn to donate instead of hanging on to it and trying to repurpose it.

Teacher Terry
4-28-16, 9:01pm
Our 1 car garage has been a disaster due to my DH. Well 2 years ago I cleaned out a huge shed we had and only kept what was needed so it was 3/4 empty. So today DH decides to clean the garage and put that stuff in the shed. I was very happy and totally shocked. So CL how long do you think until all your remodeling is done?

Chicken lady
4-28-16, 9:28pm
Well, I thought it was going to be two years. :laff:

Now I'm hoping before my youngest graduates in 2018.

siding all summer, electric and plumbing in the fall, drywall in the winter/spring we'll be into year three...

then an there are paint, floors, cabinets, appliances... All diy except the drywall.

Teacher Terry
4-28-16, 9:31pm
It takes a long time to do a major remodel when you are both working f.t. too.

Chicken lady
4-28-16, 11:02pm
Well, I only work part time, but he has all the skills. I can paint and tile and help move stuff.

Chicken lady
5-9-16, 8:19pm
Today I cleaned up all the small burnables scrap to my pottery firing wood pile and stacked the last of the larger (3'-5') stuff out of the way.

I moved some some stuff out of dd' closet back to the basement where it was before construction (the basement is starting to be a wreck) and she put her clothes and shoes away nearly.

mschrisgo2
5-17-16, 12:32am
CL, how's the elephant?

Chicken lady
5-17-16, 7:23am
My in laws came for ds graduation and took away a bed we were done with. But very little is currently happening because my in laws came for graduation. Which required a stash operation (which always sends me backwards) and a lot of actual cleaning.

mil is an exhausting woman and she doesn't sleep, so she was wandering around my house in the middle of the night opening and closing cabinets and drawers (to see what's in them) and slamming doirs (because it's the only way she knows to close them)

so I am exhausted.

ds is taking the last of his stuff away this week. That will open up the loft, but is making me really sad.

Teacher Terry
5-17-16, 2:55pm
What would make anyone think they can open doors/drawers on other people's stuff? If she does this at friend's homes I would guess she does not have many friends. Ugh! Has your DH asked her not to do this/

iris lilies
5-17-16, 3:37pm
I enjoy hearing about the OP's mil, pretty crazy!

Chicken lady
5-17-16, 4:03pm
There are so many things she does that are more annoying that we have asked her not to do to no avail...

she actually said to me one morning "I got up early so I went out and rummaged around in your barn." She also digs stuff up out of my yard to take home without asking - not the flowerbeds, the wild flowers. And small native trees. I have asked her to not do that.

Teacher Terry
5-17-16, 4:20pm
You are kinder then me. I don't think I would let her visit.

Tammy
5-17-16, 7:57pm
Agreed. I would ban her from my home.

Or alternately - I would encourage her to take whatever she wants home with her! Consider it free help with decluttering! 😄

She's not normal - that behavior is more than rude, it's pathological,

Chicken lady
5-30-16, 10:54pm
So, ds came back for the weekend to celebrate his birthday with us before he starts his job. Lots of grading work is getting done and the ceilings are up (but not painted) on both porches. Heart daughter and her gf came out tonight and we got the last two giant windows in. So the new space is now pretty much bug tight. And all the windows are in and the light and the view are great!

we put up temporary screen on the back porch and all sat out there this evening to watch the sun set.

heart daughter and I both teach, so she volunteered to come out and help me paint some siding this summer.

freshstart
5-31-16, 4:31am
this is nice to hear, I'm impressed by how much you've gotten done by yourselves

Tenngal
5-31-16, 3:09pm
So Tenngal, is that your elephant? Are you going to tackle your whole environment, or just the closet(s)?

i confess that I have been focused more on the building side of the elephant than the purging side lately. I never quite finished the pottery molds, I have added more bits and pieces to the studio, the month of April offered me several bargains for the doll collection that I jumped at, and I even bought two new dresses this week (my summer is full of "important events")

i need to to revisit the closet and dresser. I noticed this morning that the pair of work (as in going to work) pants I'm wearing need to be demoted to work (as in cleaning stalls) pants. Meanwhile I have four pairs of "dress pants" that I almost never wear - that I could wear to work if I wasn't trying to keep them "nice".

My youngest is coming home from college is a week and a half, and my mom is coming to visit for ds's graduation two weeks from tomorrow, and ds is moving all his stuff back here temporarily, so I really should hit the indoor spaces again.

I cleaned out the bedroom dresser, closet and did a partial clean of the laundry room. I really long to get rid of lots of odds and ends.
Little things I have not used for years........

Chicken lady
6-15-16, 8:37am
The siding is supposed to get delivered this morning!

we had a brunch last weekend for Dd's wedding. We set out golfing tables in the addition for everyone to eat, but at one point we had 8 people in our old kitchen/dining area where we had set out the buffet. As dh struggled to reach the coffee he yelled "THIS is why I'm building an addition!" And everyone laughed.

Chicken lady
6-15-16, 12:15pm
Rescheduled the siding for tomorrow. It was supposed to come at 8:00 and we told them no one would be here after 1:00 (I have an errand). I called at 11:00 and was told "they're loading it now. Be there a little after 1:00". Sigh.

Chicken lady
6-16-16, 8:57am
Siding is delivered. Next task - buy stain. Also this week I'm working in the shop barn to make space to stain boards.

Chicken lady
6-17-16, 6:39pm
They no longer make the trim boards for our siding.

custom planing $80 a board. Planer $300. Guess what dh is getting for Father's Day?

i have been working in the basement today. I am starting to reclaim some of the space and plan where things will go. So far, I think the side that was entirely mine before we started will be scrapbooking, fiber arts, and most of the dolls. In the long term, I want to get the books out of there and bring them upstairs. (Except those books relating to fiber arts and dolls). I also want to eventually bring my desk upstairs. Maybe.

For now, I started turning one corner into the scrapbooking area. The floor in that corner is clean, I have a big table and paper sorter set up, and I am ready to start bringing down the scrapbooking stuff that is stashed in ds's old closet (now the guest room) and around the third bedroom, plus one box in Dd's closet. There is also scrap booking related stuff already in the basement.

Chicken lady
6-18-16, 1:59pm
All* of the scrapbooking stuff is now in the corner of the basement. The exception being finished albums - which live upstairs on book shelves but are still shelved at random - one day I will shelve them in order and label the spines.

i also found the box in which I was storing the negatives. As I am far from a professional photographer, I made a pact with my mom that we would both get rid of our negatives (if we want a copy, we will scan the original. Much easier than finding the negative!)

i think I will need to do this on Thursday however, because it's going to be difficult and I will need to take the trash straight up to the curb.

ds former room which is now the guest room now contains:
a queen sized bed with extra bedding in the integral under bed storage drawers
three shelves/cabinets overstuffed with dolls and books and one piece of sculpture
a small rug
a bench under the window

in the closet are:
games - I intend to keep all the games here or in the den (current living room)
empty extra hangers (too many, but again, this shall be their home)
a shelf holding extra fiber arts (sewing) stuff that needs to move and three extra pillows

Dh is out buying boards and stain and a planer.

*that I have found

Lainey
6-18-16, 8:41pm
Chicken lady - do you ever take before and after photos? I bet those would keep inspiring you - and others if you want to share - to keep going. Sometimes it's hard to see progress little by little but it's a big wow when you see the beginning and end result.

Chicken lady
6-18-16, 9:08pm
I did think about it, but I was afraid I would see things in the pictures that I had convinced myself to get rid of and be upset.

i'm pretty good at seeing the progress, it's just hard to get dh to see it sometimes, and he has his eyes on the goal. I don't think pictures would be good though, because I think he actually forgets how bad it really was, and I would prefer that he doesn't remember.

we are taking progress photos of the construction.

mschrisgo2
6-18-16, 11:31pm
Progress photos of the construction are so much more positive, good for you! Keep a record of where you are going, rather than where you have been.

(BTW, I think you are right about seeing things... I have stopped looking at photos of "Christmas Past" with my mom- she still has all the photos- because she will ask me "where is thus-and-such" some toy I got when I was a kid. She would prefer to think that I have saved all of my toys, not remembering that my daughter has been grown for 20+ years, and all three of my grandsons, as well as niece and nephews are well past the toy stage. I very long ago passed the toys on to kids who, I'm sure, wore them out. But that would distress her, so I try not to get into a conversation where we have to go there.)

Chicken lady
6-19-16, 8:44pm
Today we put the cedar shake on almost half the front porch wall and I stained 8 boards for siding.

my current construction job is to stain 8 boards every day, because that is the number that fit on our sawhorses.

Chicken lady
6-20-16, 9:17pm
I stained my 8 boards. Dh planed some more trim this evening and I cleaned up the shavings to use for barrel firing or bedding as needed.

Chicken lady
6-22-16, 7:45am
Yesterday I stained 8 boards and three pieces of trim. Dh put another row of cedar shake over the window after dinner. He says we have enough boards for the weekend because he also has cedar shake to do (he finds it tedious and wants to switch back and forth) but I am probably going to stain again anyway. It doesn't hurt to have a pile of boards ready.

Chicken lady
6-22-16, 2:26pm
I haven't been staining boards. I've been rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

it's overcast and gloomy today and I am super sensitive to sunlight (or lack thereof). I don't want to do anything.

i've been down in the basement moving things around. I did convince dd2 to part with a largish piece of doll furniture and I found a book I can part with. I "found" some empty space on a bookshelf and un-double-stacked a few books. I carried 3 puzzles up to the "game closet". You can't really tell I did anything.

i wish it were Thursday so I could take the trash and recycling up and feel like something has actually LEFT. I'm even contemplating a goodwill run, but the pile isn't big enough to be worth it and I would be driving just for that.

i also really want to go get my storage rack and open up the floor space, but now is not a good time to spend the money and I know there is more work to be done.

today the elephant is sitting on me.

mschrisgo2
6-22-16, 5:16pm
Aw, darn elephant! Maybe getting out of the house would help lift your mood? (it usually does for me) You could think of it as a mood enhancing trip, rather than a "not big enough to be worth it" trip...

Chicken lady
6-22-16, 7:16pm
I gave up on the elephant and did the laundry and made dh favorite pie, which was a good plan because he's up for pie with a side of elephant after dinner.

Chicken lady
6-23-16, 8:18am
Horrible storms last night, rain up to 2.5" an hour. Flash floods.

there is a thin line of wet at the edge of the new exterior basement door. That's it. And we know it's a bad seal, the caulk was done wet out of desperation.

my basement is dry!

heck, my cat was sitting on the front porch this morning and HE was dry! I have a place for the mail person to leave packages!

the primary thing that we had to do to stop the basement from flooding and keep the house from falling down is done. We are now working on the icing. :-)

i'm feeling more motivated today.

Teacher Terry
6-23-16, 2:01pm
That is great!

Chicken lady
6-25-16, 5:01pm
Working on the porch again today. Break time. We have 5 more rows of cedar shake to put up over the windows on the front porch facing (every row adds 5.5"). Dh is going to the store to buy more trim boards and I am heading out to flip the boards I stained this morning and stain the other sides.

dd gets back from her honeymoon tonight and she and dsil are coming over tomorrow to get all the presents. Apparently there will also be a slide show in our living room in a couple of weeks after dsil edits 3500 photos.

at the current speed of board staining, I'm guessing the siding will all be stained by October. Which means hopefully it will all be up before the weather gets bad.

Chicken lady
6-26-16, 8:06am
Dh is working again already this morning. He says the hardest part of this project is going to be pacing himself. I pointed out that the boards will only come so fast, so once he gets the cedar shake done (it also goes on the other porch) he will have to put in shorter days.

I also convinced him him to drive with me this afternoon to buy the bushel of peaches I usually get every summer to can. I didn't do it last year, and we missed them. This year I skipped freezing strawberries, so we need the peaches! (Does using up a couple of boxes of my stockpiled canning lids count as eating elephant? A store went out of business and I bought 100 boxes.)

Teacher Terry
6-26-16, 3:30pm
Do you can enough to use a 100 boxes? Maybe have a board staining party and have people help you so it goes faster. Maybe use old sawhorses and doors to make tables to use to stain them. Then feed them when it's done.

Chicken lady
6-26-16, 4:30pm
I can enough to eventually use 100 boxes. It may take 6 years. They were 25 cents a box.

dh has changed his mind and I have to go get peaches tomorrow by myself. But the cedar shake is done on the front porch and he put up the first three siding boards.

Kids are still coming out this evening to remove wedding stuff from my house.

i don't see having a board staining party to be helpful. There is limited space unless we pull all the machinery out of the barn and I am currently using the 4 sawhorses we have. Instead of using time (which I have) peacefully staining boards, I would be using money to feed people who would add to my stress level. and then we have another bottleneck putting the boards up. Right now, am staining faster than he is siding. If that changed, I will make adjustments.

Teacher Terry
6-26-16, 7:13pm
I thought he was siding faster then you were staining:|(

Chicken lady
6-26-16, 9:58pm
No, he could once the shake is done on the other porch, but this is not supposed to be a death march. He needs to do other things on weekends besides put up siding from 7 in the morning to 9 at night!

most of the wedding things left with the kids. We still have a big box of table runners and my great great grandmother's china that wouldn't go in the car.

i also have a list of things they don't want and I am free to get rid of - several of the containers I bought for flowers are going back to goodwill this week. (I'm keeping a pitcher, one vase, and one watering can, but I'm getting rid of a vase I already had, so I'm just up a watering can and a pitcher.). Also I'm up some table cloths, but all the fabric for the table runners was in my house before the wedding and they are taking those. I think it's close to a wash.

mschrisgo2
6-27-16, 4:17am
Sounds like a "win" for you regarding the wedding stuff, not keeping too much, knowing that some things go back to Goodwill.

On that siding... sounds like DH is trying to just power through and be done. Plus there is measurable satisfaction in the finish... hm, maybe that is the sweet spot for him...?

Chicken lady
6-27-16, 8:36am
Dh is just not good at moderation. He needs to have a project, but once he gets his teeth into it, he doesn't stop. He wants to eat the whole elephant in one sitting!

This project is too big for that. The weather is in the 90's and he's not 25 any more. He hurts all over by Sunday morning, and he needs to not work in the midday sun! He also needs to spend some time doing fun stuff with me and with dd while she's here.

last night he didn't quit to take a shower until after the kids got here. But then we had a really nice visit. And they stayed late enough that he just went to bed afterward, so he wasn't wiped out this morning.

october is perfectly fine to finish siding. Then he can start electrical and plumbing, and I will have two paychecks before the hvac guys need to be scheduled.

Teacher Terry
6-27-16, 2:14pm
I am like your DH. I like to go full force and get stuff done. I hate projects that are half finished. My DH can procrastinate. When we bought our present house it needed tons of work before I would move in. I was skeptical that he could keep at the pace we needed but he promised he would and he did. It was May when we closed on it and we moved in the middle of August. He worked 10-12 days/7 days/week and I hired him a helper that worked 8 hours/day/5 days/week. My DH had just retired so it was perfect and he didn't take on any consulting work until the house was done. It is not humid here so easier to work in the summer. I would be concerned that your husband should take enough breaks so he doesn't get sun stroke, etc. One of our past governors got on his roof in VEgas to fix something even though his wife begged him not to in the summer and he was 73 and a millionaire so could have hired someone. Well he fell off and died so not worth it.

Chicken lady
7-6-16, 8:02am
No siding this week, we've been visiting relatives. I managed to shed some things along the way - a book, a cooler, three potted plants, some plastic containers.

however, we are now at my parent's house, and there is a large shipping crate in the driveway loaded with the table and chairs we had the architect plan the breakfast area around, wooden paneling for finish work, and my grandparent's fountain. All intentional choices, plus some odds and ends. A mirror, two little pictures, a lamp, two sets of sheets, and an impulse chicken dish and lunch box. Not too bad as rememberances from a house I spent most of my summers in as a child.

I did mark another mirror for dd for after the house is sold and my grandmother's clothespin bag for me (still being used), and some pillows and another picture as "don't donate" so they will be mine if no one else wants them.

and I spent some time helping my mom go through a box of broken costume jewelry and helping her decide what to fix and what to throw out. I fixed most of the "fix" stuff for her. Small dent in the herd of elephants that will one day wander across my path.....

Chicken lady
7-9-16, 5:19pm
I'm back home and painting siding again. Dh is putting it up.

dd1 is here for the weekend with her husband and his sister. They're out picking berries right now and then they're going to make us dinner!

Chicken lady
7-11-16, 10:23am
The kids took the last of the wedding related stuff that was theirs. They also had a bonfire and used up a bunch of the scrap wood pile.

after they left yesterday we had friends out for the evening who picked berries and enjoyed the new back porch with us.

The siding is still going more slowly than dh would like, but I feel like we're making good progress.

Chicken lady
7-13-16, 8:24pm
I didn't paint siding today. I did make three one hour round trip trips, plus loading and unloading, to get everything out of our shipping crate. So clearly,more in than out today.

nothing out but the daily consumption of food actually. No empty food containers have become additions to the household though, and the trash and recycling go up tomorrow evening.

Chicken lady
7-14-16, 9:28pm
I didn't paint siding again today.

i went out for sugar to make jam (and cola and cookies and apples for dh lunches) and then I didn't make jam either. I've been really tired lately. I have a sleep schedule issue I can't seem to find a solution to.

anyway, what I did do was take a bunch of little dolls that were in boxes off the bookshelf where they were in front of the books in the second guest room and set them back up in their display case next to my desk in the basement. So the books aren't hidden by boxes anymore, and I can see my dolls, which makes me happy.

i also put some pillows in an empty drawer that was reserved for bedding so I could put some games in the game closet and the wedding tablecloths I'm keeping into the cupboard where I have table linens. Net visible effect - no more tablecloths on the couch.

nswef
7-14-16, 10:23pm
Yay for you, Chicken lady!

Chicken lady
7-25-16, 9:03pm
So, the lamp I brought home has a bulb and is on the intended shelf. The fountain is set up on the dining porch until we finish the entryway. I am back to painting boards and dh is putting them up.

I washed my sheets but didn't put them away yet, I set the mirror aside in the room where it will hang - after dd goes back to school, the table and chairs are under cover in the barn loft, the chicken dish is on the family room book shelf, the little pictures are on the kitchen hutch waiting to be hung, and the lunch box is added to the mess on my desk.

Chicken lady
8-6-16, 10:10am
I have most of the boards ready for today's stretch of wall. (I have to do the second side of the last three this morning)

this is week I have brought two things into the house - a finished tile from a teacher workshop which will be useful as an example in my classroom, and a new doll for my collection.

i cleaned off the top of a shelf in "my" basement space and put the doll out where I can see her. I have room to unpack two others of the same size to go next to her. The doll came in her original box, packed inside a much larger box. When I put her on the shelf I had a sense of progress, but then I had to face the fact that it is not real progress since many of my dolls are still packed away. So I have challenged myself to fill the much larger shipping box with items to donate before I buy another doll. The items can be anything, as long as they are mine.

i worked on that yesterday and have nearly cleaned off my desk. Unfortunately "trash" and "recycle" don't go in the donate box, so still have a long way to go to fill it. This is really good discipline though, because the trash and recycle categories have become easier for me, but the "donate" category (this is a perfectly good thingamajig, what if we need it/ we could use it for something) is still very hard for me.

it has rained several times and the grading on the yard is much improved.

Chicken lady
8-20-16, 4:52pm
Overfilled the doll shipping box.

raining again today, so dh is not doing boards. Instead he is fixing things that got wrecked by a lightening strike last week. Currently he's replacing the garage door opener. Unfortunately we have a high deductible, so even if homeowner's insurance covered the broken stuff, if isn't enough.

we also replaced the modem and router, and the new modem won't talk to the old printer. So dh took it upstairs and hard wired it, leading him to ask if I could move the table out of the large bedroom.

so, I've been playing basement Tetris and doing a little bit more purging (not a lot, because I don't want to get derailed, but when I find an easy toss/donate I take care of it, otherwise I'm making "sort" boxes I know I can thin later)

i emptied two two small stacking drawer cubes, put them next to dd2's bed like a night table, and emptied her desk into them. - desk is on it's way to goodwill. I've been vacuuming and dusting as I go and I'm kind of tired, two hours in I'm taking a drink break.

next I need to move some notebooks onto a shelf space I made, add the hanging rails I found under the stairs to the crate they were in, and empty the plastic drawer tower into hanging folders in the crate. Then the drawer tower comes up between Dd's windows, her dresser gets emptied (and goes to goodwill) her bookshelf moves to where the dresser was (and fits better) and the table goes into the corner of her room under the windows. The room is going to look a whole lot better.

i hope to finish everything but the goodwill run today.

freshstart
8-20-16, 8:37pm
a good job done! you did a lot

Chicken lady
8-20-16, 9:30pm
I did do a lot! Both pieces of furniture are ready to go, and the room looks pretty good. I am going to make the table my new work area. It has good light, and it's away from the kitchen and all the snacking cues. That will also get my "in box" and other papers out of my kitchen.

There isn't as much surface area as the kitchen table, but I can spread onto the bed and the floor if I need to - I tend to lay out papers horizontally while I'm mid project. Added bonus - I can leave it spread out past meal time.

dh installed the new garage door opener. He also bought me a new hose, which is an extension, not a replacement, so that's an "in" I guess.

i bagged up and listed all the small stuff. I'm hoping dh will help me take everything in the truck tomorrow, because I can't lift the dresser in and out by myself.

Chicken lady
8-27-16, 9:24pm
Today we turned the corner! Literally. We finally finished the east facing side of the addition which has a lot of little pieces with slants and cut outs because of doors and windows and roofline - it's the front. We are now starting the siding on the south face of the addition.

that furniture never went anywhere because it turned out dd1 wants it - she's moving on the 10th, so it will go along when she borrows the truck. The goodwill stuff did leave, and the "in box" is out of the kitchen.

Chicken lady
9-13-16, 7:50am
Over the weekend we helped dd move and took her her furniture, so that is out of my house. Also took a painting that belongs to her, leaving a bare spot on my wall. I'm going to leave it bare for now.

we have one more section to do on the south facing side of the addition, but it is the section with the door and two windows, so it will be slow and complicated - lots of little pieces and cut outs. Dh wants to do the long boards up to the windows on that wall and on the west side next, so that he doesn't actually cut something he needs for later.

i have added a pair of 12" dolls, a Pyrex lidded container in the size that always seems to be full when I want it, and a "bento box" style set of plastic ware for dh lunches. I need to clean out the plastic containers again. I can never understand how half a container goes missing (lid or base). Dh added a set of 8 wine glasses.

i am still filling packaging/shipping boxes (doll and wine glasses) as an exercise in visualization, but not aggressively because I've taken my focus off the clean out for a little while.

Chicken lady
9-25-16, 2:59pm
The excavator arrived to remove the tree stumps one year ago today.

we finished the south facing wall. Including all the fiddley bits around the roof connections that had to be cut at multiple angles with the jigsaw.

the west wall is done up to the base of the windows. It is a story and a half and has a lot of little pieces to fit around windows. We will probably work on that next Sunday - Saturday Ds's best friend has his first arts festival and we want to go. And now dh is watching football.

ds called and his gf is now his fiancÚ. They don't have a date or place yet, but it will probably be next summer near her hometown - which is an hour from here, so all our out of town relatives who came for "brunch in the construction zone" at the beginning of this summer can come back for "________ in the unfinished house". Maybe we'll have grass.

freshstart
9-25-16, 5:04pm
congratulations on the engagement!

Chicken lady
9-25-16, 8:32pm
Thanks. We're pleased. We like the girl and they're living together, so we've gotten used to her. :laff:

Chicken lady
10-2-16, 10:34pm
We finished the west wall!

now "all" that is left is the back porch and the places siding needs to be replaced on the back of the original house because it was damaged in the process of removing the deck, moving the electric service, and/or cutting a giant hole in the back of the house.

oh, and the inside. We need to finish the inside.

i added three metal garden butterflies from the art fair, but I am getting rid of a shirt and I purged some cross stitch stuff - not a lot, but enough to fill a lunch bag.

nswef
10-2-16, 11:02pm
Congratulations!!!!

Chicken lady
10-15-16, 9:52pm
Replaced the siding on the back of the house (complicated because of cutouts for dryer vent and heat pump). Also, dh ended up replacing some wood and foam insulation that was damaged - the job got a lot bigger (don't they all?)

waiting to to go to goodwill - 3 samsonite hard sides, one huge rolling case, two small duffles, three large duffles, one backpack.

mschrisgo2
10-15-16, 11:45pm
Wow! You must have a big closet under those stairs.
What's the long term plan for the space?

Chicken lady
10-16-16, 7:22am
It's going to be a closet - lol! I measured it and it's 39"x12'. It gets short at the back and the door is on one end - just a long run under the stairs. The suitcases we use and keep are going back in - they all fit in my old camp trunk. Also going back in: 4 baby gates (no babies yet, but a grand dog), the pack and play and baby backpack (they go all the way at the short end) three tall kid chairs that dh hung on pegs on the wall, and a high chair, the card table and 4 folding chairs, my little tool box, and cleaning equipment/supplies (mop, broom, vacuum, extra vacuum bags, air filters, goo gone...maybe light bulbs.)

maybe adding a cooler. Maybe off season window fans.

i removed an entire shelving unit that was packed with plastic ware and canning/occaisional cooking/backup kitchen supplies. Some of those things are gone, some are in the goodwill pile, some have new homes,and some are still rattling around in the basement proper.

Tybee
10-16-16, 9:14am
That sounds like wonderful storage!

freshstart
10-16-16, 11:33am
good haul for Goodwill, well done

Lainey
10-16-16, 3:59pm
Agree, and wanted to add that I'm still impressed with your perseverance and your willingness to post all this. It gives many people a good perspective and also inspiration that you can have your home be the way you'd always wanted it to be.

Teacher Terry
10-16-16, 4:20pm
Great progress!!

Chicken lady
10-22-16, 10:14pm
Today besides catching up on the week's neglected housekeeping, I cleaned the closet under the stairs and the keeping items and put the keeping items away.
It looks very nice and open and mostly empty.

i also found a few more things for the goodwill run (I need to go soon, the only way this is all going to fit in my car is if I fill the suitcases I'm donating)

washed a rug from the studio barn which is now drying to go in dh study (at his request) and emptied a shelf from the studio space that I promised to dd. That mostly just made a mess - I only threw one thing away. But the mess is closer to the door now.....

dh started putting the trim up on the back porch.

19Sandy
10-22-16, 11:27pm
Today besides catching up on the week's neglected housekeeping, I cleaned the closet under the stairs and the keeping items and put the keeping items away.
It looks very nice and open and mostly empty.

i also found a few more things for the goodwill run (I need to go soon, the only way this is all going to fit in my car is if I fill the suitcases I'm donating)

washed a rug from the studio barn which is now drying to go in dh study (at his request) and emptied a shelf from the studio space that I promised to dd. That mostly just made a mess - I only threw one thing away. But the mess is closer to the door now.....

dh started putting the trim up on the back porch.

Good job!

Chicken lady
10-23-16, 7:47pm
Today we carried all the remaining construction debris out of the new basement.

dh did one wall of the back porch with just a little help from me.

I nailed together the garlic bed box and got it placed and leveled. I also sent a shelf and a bin of stuff home with dd1.

freshstart
10-23-16, 8:28pm
WTG!

mschrisgo2
10-23-16, 10:18pm
Nice work!

Chicken lady
10-30-16, 4:55pm
All the green siding is up. The (last) back wall of the porch is 1/3 done in cedar shake. Dh got tired of the cedar shakes, so he is working on cleaning up the last remaining dirt pile in the yard and filling in some of the "puddle" spots.

Chicken lady
11-2-16, 11:05pm
I put together the storage rack I mentioned buying in another thread. I put all the bins in that room on it, plus some other things that needed a temporary home. 4 of 9 shelves are empty.

next I play Tetris to move the old China hutch and a cupboard across the room. Then I can set the modular shelf back up in it's original home, start unpacking dolls, and rack more bins.

Dh has shown me where I can't put anything yet because he needs room to do plumbing and electric. Some things are already "put" there from previous Tetris games, so I will need to move those.

i found a book to donate and a mid sized box to recycle.

mschrisgo2
11-3-16, 3:11am
Wonderful!

freshstart
11-3-16, 11:51am
doing good!

Chicken lady
11-5-16, 10:23pm
Emptied the China hutch, moved the China hutch, cleaned the construction dust off the China hutch. Everything that was in the China hutch is upstairs on my dining room table waiting to see how much I want it.

emptied the cupboard, moved the cupboard. Everything that was in the cupboard is piled around the room.

Ripped up the piece of carpet that was trapped under those two pieces of furniture. tore the flexible plastic "baseboard" off the wall. Bleached the mildew off the bottom of the wall where the baseboard was and scrubbed the floor (not the whole floor, just a little past where the carpet was.)

I need to skim coat the base of the wall before I set up the modular shelf.

Chicken lady
11-11-16, 10:52pm
Dh had the day off today, so he finished the cedar shake and polyurethaned the porch ceilings. The exterior is done (except some cosmetic stuff on the front porch and the long term goal of screening in the back porch)

i have the the modular shelf set up. This weekend is organizing in that side of the basement, installing fire alarms, and plumbing the outside faucet (no more double hose running from the front of the house around to the barn!)

Chicken lady
11-14-16, 8:07am
Fre alarm done but faucet not quite finished.

some of the stuff from the table made it's way to the "go" pile.

the new long range plan has the drywall going up summer or fall of 2017.

today I am calling to find out about installing geothermal.

Tybee
11-14-16, 9:26am
Please keep us posted on geothermal. It used to be so pricy, would be fascinated to see what it is now!

Chicken lady
11-27-16, 12:16pm
The geothermal guy has never gotten back to us with a quote.

the faucet is done.

my brood just left after a very nice thanksgiving visit (the local daughter and her husband slept here last night instead of making the hour drive home, and we all had breakfast together.)

my son left with his cat cutting board which he really liked, two blankets, two tablecloths, a bowl, and several shoeboxes of awards and certificates that he accumulated during his school years. My mother reclaimed a dish she had given me that I didn't want anymore, my younger daughter reclaimed a small cookbook, and my oldest took a bowl. I still have a good sized box of stuff headed to Goodwill.

on the in side, I was gifted two Christmas ornaments, two books to read, and a big cookbook. (I'm really pleased about the cookbook though, I just have to clear out some more of the less useful ones.). I also got the next to last carload from my grandparents' (now sold) beach house - twin sheets, towel, a framed picture, a mirror that will eventually move out with dd, some pillows, and a wooden grate for the bottom of the basement stairs. There's still a small chair coming that wouldn't fit in my parents' car.

some more grading work was done on the yard.

TVRodriguez
11-30-16, 3:48pm
Chicken lady, I love that your kids came back for Thanksgiving (and took some of their things with them!) and that you got to have breakfast with your daughter and SIL the morning after. That sounds lovely and I hope to have a similar event in my far distant future when my kids are grown up. Sounds great.

Too bad about the nonresponsiveness of the geothermal guy. That would be cool (haha).

Chicken lady
1-9-17, 8:46am
So, dh has redone the wiring diagram and wired one switch in the basement. He is working on hvac calculations.

i continue to work toward "right sizing" with my recent focus on my closet, which really has nothing to do with the addition, although I was able to empty a coat closet in three minutes to give dh access to the back of it when he did that switch.

mil brought me a small hand-me-down storage cabinet at Christmas time. It is nice enough to use inside the house and smaller than the barn dresser I burned on solstice.

My older kids took a tiny bit more stuff, and my youngest brought home a lot that needs to be stored for a couple more years (she's a college junior). The holiday gift loot is all put away or in the donation box and I am working on getting back to a routine.

Chicken lady
1-18-17, 7:50am
So, dh is doing more wiring preparatory to moving (again, hopefully to it's permanent home) the water softener (before all this started it was against the wall that came out.)

sadly, my current focus is on packing up and moving all the stuff I unpacked and set up in the basement. Because apparently the HVAC guys are also going to create carnage down there.

our upstairs living areas have gotten a lot better in the last two years, what with dd buying a house and ds moving to Wisconsin, and I have been cleaning out slowly (I won't call it purging, it's more of a trickle - but a pretty steady trickle.)

but this past weekend I lost my temper. I told dh I am moving most of the stuff out of the basement into the upstairs until this is over, and if that means we have bins stacked in the guest room, then we have bins stacked in the guest room. He can have the upstairs open and airy and uncluttered when he finishes the >@~^ construction project.

Chicken lady
1-22-17, 8:55am
Te water softener has been relocated. Dh is still messing with the hvac calculations. I am still slowly slowly clearing out the basement.

Teacher Terry
1-22-17, 2:36pm
Why keep wasting your time packing/unpacking/moving junk in the basement? If it is stored in basement in boxes it probably means that you don't need/use most of that stuff so it would be more productive to just get rid of it.

iris lilies
1-22-17, 3:03pm
Why keep wasting your time packing/unpacking/moving junk in the basement? ...
Because the things are more important to her than her time. That's been established.

We all get to assign value to that which is meaningful in our lives. You and I would make a different choice, that's for sure.

My packrat huband keeps every inch of space in our garage full, it annoys me. But recently I had to come up with a flower pot of a very specificc size, one that looked good enough to house a plant in a plastic pot at a flower show. I shopped 4 stores including Goodwill and while there were plenty of handsome pots, none fit that specific size. DH did have a clay pot with light decoration that fit, culled from his hoard. It isnt my favorite pot, but it will do.

Teacher Terry
1-22-17, 3:18pm
IL: I should probably not read this thread because it frustrates me to no end why someone who has a limited amount of time to accomplish stuff wastes it in this manner. To me it's like running on a treadmill and expecting to get somewhere.

iris lilies
1-22-17, 3:26pm
IL: I should probably not read this thread because it frustrates me to no end why someone who has a limited amount of time to accomplish stuff wastes it in this manner. To me it's like running on a treadmill and expecting to get somewhere.
I know, I cannot grok valuing small things more than my time, but part of the OP's dilema ( Correct me if I am wrong, OP) is to dispose of the stuff in a way she considers responsible. That is another value judgement.

I had one of those moments yesterday. I was cleaning out a tiny area under the front porch. I ran across four items, was happy to see three of them since I knew exactly what to do with them, but the fourth item put me in a quandary. It was a wooden mushroom that someone had hand carved. It doesn't exactly fit my outdoor decor aesthetic although I do have a few flowers faires floating around. So, I decided to get rid of the wooden mushroom but that was not easy, and then I stood in front of two dumpsters, wondering which one to put it in. Did it go in the compost dumpster? It was technically compostable but it was a very dense piece of wood. I ended up putting it in the regular trash but I still wonder if that was the right decision.

Teacher Terry
1-22-17, 3:38pm
If it was in good condition I would have taken it to the thrift store. If not throwing away sounds right. Anything decent I thrift but have no problem throwing stuff away if it is not in good condition. We do a ton of recycling and have more stuff in that bin then our regular garbage. I also don't rescue stuff from other people's garbage. I am not responsible for what others throw away. I have noticed since we went to single stream recycling that more people are doing it. You can tell because the lids of the containers have different colors. My time is valuable and no way am I gong to waste it on inanimate objects. My DH is somewhat of a hoarder. His shed, garage and office are terrible. He can never find anything when he needs it. I bet that he has more then 1 of the same tool due to not getting rid of stuff or organizing. Sometimes I help with the purging when he is out of town:0!.

Chicken lady
1-22-17, 5:03pm
So, teacher terry, what do you do with your time? That isn't sarcasm, I'm curious.

this week I plan menus, cook, do farm chores, teach, read,write lesson plans, turn in evaluations, contact my elected representatives, grocery shop, talk on the phone with family, wash dishes, do laundry, sweep, swim, ride an exercise bike, plan my garden, spend time with my husband, rearrange stuff and make decisions, eat out, rescue people's trash, stop at thrift stores, shop online, watch old tv online, and hang out on a couple of discussion boards. If I were going to make better use of my time, I think the last four should go first. (But all I ordered online was vet meds - less driving and cheaper.)

the basement is both all of my storage area and a third of my "living" space - my pantry, exercise equipment, filing cabinet and desk live in the basement. Also games, toys, books, and holiday decorations that are used every year or two for teaching, company, or just my own pleasure. Dishes and kitchen equipment that don't fit in my tiny kitchen and get used less than once a month but more than once a year, gift bags for presents.

the packing and unpacking happens because I live with dh. So, imagine that your dh comes home February 4th and announces "we are having a giant valentines party for many friends, I will need you to cook so much food that you will need all of the dishes in the house. Also, in the week leading up to the party I will be replacing the livingroom flooring and painting the inside of your closet. Please make sure the house looks nice." If you don't say no, you're going to be packing up a bunch of stuff - like your clothes and everything in your living room, plus, rearranging the furniture in the rest of the house so you can empty the living room. And you will be doing it in a hurry. Or, you could donate all your clothes and livingroom furniture....

yes, that's absurd, but it's also a reasonable comparison. I need to unpack the boxes and make decisions about the stuff in them, but I make decisions slowly, and generally I am partway through when I have to pack everything up and move it again. This is worth doing for me because the result of the effort is that my decision making skills are improving, my living space is becoming larger, more pleasant, and more in tune with my life, and my collection of stuff is becoming smaller and more appropriate.

it would be an annoying waste of time for me to spend an hour doing long division problems. For a 4th grader, not so much.

i feel like this weekend has been very productive. Dh has put the water softener in its permanent home and rerouted my dryer vent for (hopefully) the last time. I rearranged all the furniture in the second guest room so that the room feels inviting to me and I have brought up a lot of folks and books from the basement and started gathering all the scrapbooking stuff in one place - there is still empty space in the room for new things that I find as I continue clearing for hvac work.

the hvac guy comes tomorrow to bid the work.

Teacher Terry
1-22-17, 5:50pm
Well DH would not be having a big party if my house was ripped up and only I decide if I want to cook for a bunch of people. I have a fairly small kitchen and anything that does not fit in there or in a small hall closet goes. I teach an online college class and I am sure I spend more time on it then I would if I was still working f.t. but I love it so I usually answer questions 7 days/week if I am home. I volunteer with the Humane Society and also help a few of my friends that have become disabled. I do errands for them, take them to appointments, etc. I walk my big dog for an hour everyday. Friday night I have dinner and spend the evening with my best friend. On Sat DH and I usually go to an event, etc. I usually have my kids over for dinner 1 night/week and have good friends over for dinner a few times/month. I spend time on forums, watch TV, play with my 4 dogs, clean, cook, laundry, do errands and read. I had so many years when I was either working f.t. or going to college and had kids to take care of so I was constantly busy. Being busy all the time does not appeal to me any longer. I also made it much quicker/easier to clean by getting rid of tons of stuff including most holiday decorations, etc. When my kids grew up I got rid of all of the books, toys etc by donating them to foster families that were grateful to get them. I also downsized my book collection from hundreds to about 20. I also downsized the furniture when we physically moved into a smaller house. I don't like a spare look but also don't want to have my house too crowded. At first it was hard to get rid of stuff but the more you do it the easier it gets. I also got rid of my collections of items and just kept a few items that I really like. Since making these changes my life has improved because I have more time for what I want to do versus what I have to do. I struggle sometimes when I read your posts because I like you but also feel sorry for the frenetic pace you seem to be at and it doesn't feel like you are accomplishing what you want to. but that is my problem and not yours. I had a good friend that would not throw things away and would take things out of the garbage. When she got Alzheimer's this got much worse. Finally my husband would pick her up and take her to a dinner and movie while her husband and I deposed of stuff. We quickly learned we could not put it in the garbage because she would retrieve it. So I had to fill my car with either donations or garbage to throw away at my house. He was dying of cancer and got so he couldn't physically help so his ex-wife would come down for a week to help me. He also had a couple of other friends that would come to help. It was a huge job because of all the years of hoarding. Finally the family had to hire a company to buy what was left in the house and empty it.

Chicken lady
1-23-17, 1:49pm
First, I'm not moving at a "frenetic pace". Really. When I read what you do, the thought of being social three or four nights a week exhausts me.

second, I am absolutely accomplishing what I want to do, just slowly.

I knew new you were going to say that about the party -lol. The point is that the way the house works for me and the way the house works for all the other people who come to the house are different. As it is in part my house (and I spend by far the most time here) I think it is reasonable for my needs and wants to be taken into account. We generally do this by "zoning" but my zone has been the basement for most of our marriage and for the last two years the basement has been a space that needs to be emptied, rearranged, soaked, covered in sawdust or concrete dust, used as a staging area for moving, etc.

when ds was still home, I spent a month sewing all his scout patches on a big blanket for his eagle ceremony. It wasn't hard, because I was able to leave the project out on the table and sew a few on every evening. There were more people and more stuff in the house, but I had more areas I could work on projects. Now, it seems like every time I set out a project it has to be completely packed up and moved between one weekend and the next.

so, this weekend, dh resigned himself to letting me put more stuff in the upstairs rooms and I am already more engaged, happier, and making faster progress. I'm not piling stuff on the floor or anything, but for example - gift wrapping supplies are under the extra twin bed, the empty spaces on the bookshelves are now filled with books instead of air, and all the games are now in the guest room closet. Which means that if you need a game, you are probably going to have to lift a few off the top, get the game you want, and put the others back. But you can SEE all the games. So over the next year, when we want a game, we can choose from all of them and I will have a realistic idea of which ones we actually play - and I can make good decisions about which games to keep, which to donate, and which to send home with my kids. (I could make all the games easily accessable by putting floor to ceiling shelves in there, but the long term plan is to reduce the games, not add shelves, so for now they are piled on the single over the hanging bar shelf.)

Chicken lady
2-1-17, 7:05am
The second HVAC guy came to look to bid the job yesterday - dh says he hopes this bid is close to or below the first one because he feels more confident about the second guy.

dh moved electricity across the new basement ceiling and put a plug by the sump for the dehumidifier. He also marked out the corner of my existing kitchen that will be lost to an air return so I can get used to the idea.

Two free standing cupboards are going have to move so the work can be done. They are full of dishes. Only one will fit back. At least it is the big one.

meanwhile, I have almost finished one side of the basement, but I have hit the decision paralysis point again.
example:
these are all framed pictures.
I want them all
they should be displayed
i have no place/can't think of a place to display them
there will be more walls after the project is done - I could store them
i can't think of a place to store them
i will leave them here for now.

next pile, these are all...

at least there are only 4 piles left and they each start with "these are all"

the other side of the basement is still really bad, and one guest bed is covered with sheets and towels I can't put away.

most of my dolls are packed up again (in bins on the messy side of the basement) and their wall shelf is taken apart and stored again because the HVAC guy will need to access the wall. Hopefully the shelf will fit back when he is done.

sweetana3
2-1-17, 7:21am
As far as choosing from bids, we used the bidding process to also determine the professionalism of the company we were talking to. In the case of moving, we choose the most expensive bid and they ended up costing the same because they only charged the exact amount. The work was as good as the estimate and it was a long time local family firm. Estimate was written and complete.

In the case of our siding and roof, the owner of the company did the estimate and his contract and written estimate was at least 8 pages long. He was thorough with all his brochures available and he could discuss options. Did not use any standard sales techniques like "if you buy today you will get a better price". He told us to take our time and let him know. Job was done perfectly and his crew cleaned up each evening. Was not the least expensive but the best job we could have gotten.

Just to say price is not everything.

Chicken lady
2-1-17, 7:54am
Yeah I know. But he was happy with the first guy until he met the second guy, so the bid will have to be close. (Nice hotel room vs. nice hotel room with view and free donuts for breakfast)

sweetana3
2-1-17, 1:33pm
Our bids were pretty much not even close. It was "hey dude" vs "nice to meet you Mrs. Sweet". One mover even said "I think it will be this much."

Chicken lady
2-1-17, 9:55pm
Bid came in lower and better!

Also, can probably start sooner! Yay!

Chicken lady
2-3-17, 8:00am
"Sooner" is Tuesday. I work today, but my weekend will be spent moving dish cabinets (to where?) and clearing space in the basement.

financial analysis is that once we get heat, electric, capped plumbing and drywall installed we will be "camping" in the space for a year while we save up more money for flooring, kitchen and new woodstove. Part of the problem being that we did not anticipate a 3 year wage freeze at dh job, new construction regulations that raised the price of each outlet by a factor of twenty, or two of our children getting married during the project.

in a month I will know if I have a chance at more hours at work next year, although nothing will be certain until September.

Teacher Terry
2-3-17, 2:19pm
That is really bad news. Good thing you are patient:))

Chicken lady
2-3-17, 3:30pm
Or, the good news is that we already got started when interest rates were really low (we took out a construction loan for part of it) and I made a great start on the basement. If we had known, maybe the finish date would be in the same place, but we would be less far along.

i can totally host a big Christmas party in a heated open space with a plywood floor and gorgeous windows.

iris lilies
2-3-17, 7:07pm
Or, the good news is that we already got started when interest rates were really low (we took out a construction loan for part of it) and I made a great start on the basement. If we had known, maybe the finish date would be in the same place, but we would be less far along.

i can totally host a big Christmas party in a heated open space with a plywood floor and gorgeous windows.
I lived with plywood floors for a dcade. If
I had known I would have them so long, I would have painted them.

Teacher Terry
2-3-17, 8:03pm
IL: someone would be dead if I had to wait 10 years for new floors>8).

mschrisgo2
2-4-17, 10:13pm
Maybe MIL can be persuaded to contribute to the construction effort again :)

iris lilies
2-4-17, 11:56pm
IL: someone would be dead if I had to wait 10 years for new floors>8).
DH is painting the "wasted space" (my mother's name for the center room and hall upstairs) for the first time with a top coat. We have lived here since 1990 and it has never had a top coat, just the base coat. He would place much of the blame for that on me for not being able to choose colors for many hears. i will accept only half of that blame.

Teacher Terry
2-5-17, 1:45pm
We always have the inside of a house painted before we move in because it is much easier that way. We used to paint when younger but for the past 20 years hire it done.

Chicken lady
2-6-17, 9:01am
DD1 came over last night and took some of the things that I had set aside to "ask kids about". Unfortunately she also took some of the things I had put in the goodwill pile, thinking I didn't have to ask the kids, so job my decision making process has been undermined. I'm glad she got to have them, I just need to work on my categorizing skills.

except for sweeping, the kitchen is ready for the HVAC guys. The basement is not, but dd gave me positive feedback on my progress.

Tybee
2-6-17, 10:25am
DD1 came over last night and took some of the things that I had set aside to "ask kids about". Unfortunately she also took some of the things I had put in the goodwill pile, thinking I didn't have to ask the kids, so job my decision making process has been undermined. I'm glad she got to have them, I just need to work on my categorizing skills.

except for sweeping, the kitchen is ready for the HVAC guys. The basement is not, but dd gave me positive feedback on my progress.

Could you ask the kids over one day for a "who wants what" session--then, if they don't take something, then it can all go to Goodwill?

Chicken lady
2-6-17, 1:47pm
One kid lives out of state and the other is away at college, but they will be getting a photo of the table with a deadline. "all this goes to goodwill on (date) if you don't e-mail or call." I'm trying to only do it every 6 weeks so I don't annoy them.

Lainey
2-7-17, 8:13pm
One kid lives out of state and the other is away at college, but they will be getting a photo of the table with a deadline. "all this goes to goodwill on (date) if you don't e-mail or call." I'm trying to only do it every 6 weeks so I don't annoy them.

I found that was a serious motivator at my work place decluttering too. Put everything out on the table that's going to be gone by the end of the week, and that makes it easy for everyone to have a quick review.

leslieann
2-8-17, 4:19pm
My daughter and her siblings had left a lot of stuff in her father's basement; he still lives in the house where they grew up. He was away over the holidays and there was a flood of sorts: apparently the hot water heater leaked to the point of water about two feet deep in the basement. That pretty well took care of the kids' things....unfortunately, she tells me that the photo albums that he was unwilling to part with when we divorced are also victims of the floodwaters but that solved the problem of the kids' stuff taking up space. Chicken Lady, it is kind of you to give your kids a chance at stuff and setting the time limit makes perfect sense to me.

Chicken lady
2-12-17, 8:17pm
Today dh finished all the lights, outlets,and switches in the new basement and installed a bulb and a switch (to later become a light fixture) in the entryway of the addition. I helped him feed wire through holes.

he says it's time to pick out kitchen appliances (but not buy them) do that he knows what wiring to install.

i want to buy them! What if they get discontinued?

Teacher Terry
2-13-17, 4:36pm
I would wait for a sale and then buy them.

Tybee
2-13-17, 5:27pm
They sound like great Christmas presents from the family, CL!

Chicken lady
2-13-17, 7:03pm
Both very good points. I should watch because most things go on sale before being discontinued. We start looking tonight. :)

debbie
2-15-17, 2:57pm
Hi, I have been reading all over the forum, but this is definitely my favorite thread! I'm so amazed at all you've accomplished CL! You inspired me to clean out my stuff a lot. I'm with you about finding a new home for things. And I am jealous of the new space with all the Windows.

My sister and Dad are "collectors" so I try and help them too. I know I can't hurry their pace. If I did, they regret their choices and that is a setback. But anytime they wish to get rid of anything, I offer to drop it off at goodwill. So everything that goes out feels like a victory!

Keep up the fantastic job and I can't wait to hear more!

19Sandy
2-15-17, 3:39pm
Debbie - read the Marie Kondo threads too about discarding - the books are easy to find at a library and quick to read. The 2 books have really made me view possessions in a different way than before. It isn't about getting rid of what you hate but keeping what you love.

Chicken lady
2-15-17, 8:54pm
Hi Debbie! Glad if I can offer some inspiration. It's good of you to facilitate the discarding for your "collectors."

we haven't made any decisions on appliances yet - what I really want doesn't seem to be available (too basic).

Teacher Terry
2-16-17, 2:31pm
I try to avoid appliances with a ton of features because I don't use them. But they are hard to find. Sears here has a scratch and dent center where you can often get good deals. Pretty soon you will have to change the title of this thread to Year Three:~).

mschrisgo2
2-16-17, 9:50pm
CL, regarding "basic" appliances, look for a place that sells to apartment complexes.

Chicken lady
2-19-17, 4:51pm
Where would one look for apartment complex appliances?

the kids responded, and I am making the big goodwill/bookstore/free store run on Thursday because I can time it conveniently with no extra driving. Randomly, that will also be the start of year three.

dh installed the porch lights and is now working on outlets in the new room.

i'm making some progress in the basement. I only found a couple of small things to get rid of, but I am getting things sorted, organized,and put away such that it is becoming two functional rooms. I moved the storage cupboard mil brought me down from it's parking spot in the addition to a useful spot in the basement, but it is still empty. It's nice to have some empty space available as I am sorting and putting away the things that are still piled on surfaces and packed in boxes.

Chicken lady
2-20-17, 8:27am
I ordered the ovens and cooktop last night - president's day sale and employee discount. I put it on my cc for an additional 1% back, but I have the money set aside to pay for it. The ovens are still really expensive, but this is one of the areas where I'm willing to pay more for exactly what I want. Dh was shocked at the low electricity use when he looked up the specs. He checked them in three different locations on two sites.

It would actually have been cheaper to get bigger ovens with more features. Probably because there is a lot more competition in that market.

the cooktop otoh, couldn't have been much cheaper. Maybe if I went to the habitat restore, but then I would have to drive and hunt. It has virtually no features - coils and knobs. It will be white, because white was the least expensive "color". Dh pointed out that I now have appliances in a combination of black, white, and silver and none of them match. I told him that all of those are neutrals, not colors, and they match anything, and he said "ok." (My current fridge is white - and staying for the new kitchen, the current range is almond and black - and going, and the sink - which is staying but not moving to the new kitchen is stainless steel, so I don't know what his issue is.)

next we plan the cabinets. He is hoping to get all the non-kitchen outlets wired this coming weekend.