PDA

View Full Version : Senior Doggies!

fidgiegirl
4-15-11, 7:02pm
We just went to the vet and I was reading an article and was reminded of how I would like to get a senior doggie next time we adopt. And of course, now I want to get one right now :)

Our almost 11 year old baby has been with me since 2006 when he was six. He is a calm, loving boy. He gets so excited for his walks, doing the butt wiggle. He has some food needs that it took us a while to figure out, but now that we have, he is happy with eating, too. He has some chronic pain so he is on daily Rimadyl. We love him so much!

When I go on rescue sites I am drawn to the seniors. I don't do this anymore because my DH gets flustered with me since he doesn't want another one until our dear Corky isn't with us anymore. But I like to peruse RAGOM (http://ragom.org) especially, even though we know we won't likely get another shedding breed.

DH has expressed some trepidation about adopting a senior since he has a hard time parting with his animal friends. I think I am a little less sensitive about pet death, maybe from having had many more pets in the course of my life, and so while it's never pleasant, I am less afraid of it than he is.

Are you into seniors? What do you love about them?

iris lily
4-16-11, 12:05am
I am always drawn to the senior dogs, too. They are calm and patient. I hate jumpy, wiggley dogs. I always am sad to see senior dogs in rescue because I always think that they've known good homes (although perhaps they have not!) and it's so sad to see them out there.

In the group of Frenchies we pick up tomorrow there are two 10 year olds and an 8 year old. We'll choose our pets from those three and let other people take the younger ones. We've had so many pet deaths through this house in the past 20 years I don't fear it or hate it, although when one of the is dying that is always a hard time.

Kat
4-16-11, 6:02am
I am drawn to senior cats and dogs, too. Don't get me wrong--I love kittens and puppies. But an older pet's chance of adoption is slim (at least around here). When I see an older cat or dog, I see a life that matters. They have often been through a lot--sometimes abuse and/or neglect--and they deserve to be cared for and loved. They, in return, make wonderful, loyal companions and don't dish out half of the nonsense that the young'uns do. :-)

That being said, I do take pet death very hard. No matter how many times I've been through it, it is just breaks my heart every time. It is so awful. And every time I vow not to get another pet because the pain of loss is so great. And then I always do LOL Actually, my childhood cat died shortly before my 19th birthday, and I was devestated. I told DH there was no way I was ever getting another cat. And then a little two-year old stray started hanging around, and she won my heart. That was my Sam; she is 11 now. :-)

goldensmom
4-16-11, 7:02am
We have a birthday in our family today, our oldest Golden Retriever turns 13. We’ve had 2 from birth to death and losing them was so traumatic. I am super sensitive to pet death and like Kat, at the time of death I say no more but a few months later we have a new puppy. Our youngest now is 1 and we have a 7 year old in between. I loved our senior dogs and I love my current senior. I have a soft spot for seniors because I see how people go ga-ga over puppies and ignore the seniors. Seniors need attention and sometimes medical care that people don‘t want to do or can‘t afford. Our current senior is on medication for arthritis and I spend way more on her medical needs than for our whole family.

Even though our baby is 13 today and can’t run up the stairs or jump onto my lap anymore; can’t hear or see me as good as she once did, I look into that now graying face and see the puppy she was and always will be to me.

Rosemary
4-16-11, 8:49am
I've had the same thoughts about senior cats - I love how calm they are, but adopting them means less time before the inevitable and also potentially high medical costs. Our recent adoption was a middle-aged cat; our cats are 5 and 6 years old so I hope I won't have to think about it again for a while.

Bronxboy
4-16-11, 10:00am
Does a senior guinea pig count? One of our daughter's two is 7 1/2.

fidgiegirl
4-16-11, 5:14pm
@Bronxboy, we had one that lived about that long, too! We were amazed!

Bronxboy
4-17-11, 10:28am
@Bronxboy, we had one that lived about that long, too! We were amazed!

It's been quite a surprise to us, but we've been thinking that if pig #2 lives as long as pig #1, we'll be minding a guinea pig while our daughter is at college.

goldensmom
4-17-11, 2:35pm
Does a senior guinea pig count? One of our daughter's two is 7 1/2.

Does a senior guinea pig count on a 'Senior Doggie' thread? I'd say yes, but only if it barks, chases it's tail, digs everywhere or is named Fido or Rover.

Bronxboy
4-17-11, 10:39pm
Does a senior guinea pig count on a 'Senior Doggie' thread? I'd say yes, but only if it barks, chases it's tail, digs everywhere or is named Fido or Rover.
The younger one is active and noisy enough to come close, though it is (of course) tailless.

The older one is pretty tame, except that she used to try to climb anyone holding her:0!. This led to numerous rescues from my daughter's head and shoulders.

iris lily
4-18-11, 10:16am
Let's see if this photo works:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/kprp/008.jpg

Here is DH with a bunch of Frenchies. The two fat piglets in his lap are elderly seniors. We are calling them "The Grannies" and we will be keeping them.

French Bulldog Rescue is really helping me a lot with this crew. It turned out that we took 6 Frenchies rather than 5. Two of them are sick. Amy from FBR is a fountain of knowledge and she is dedcated to getting this crew the best homes they can have. She came to our house yesteday to evaluate them.

The Grannies are a bonded pair at 8 and 10 years old. French Bulldog rescue representative told me that it will be practically impossible to place both of them together at their advanced age. So, we are keeping them. And the really ironic thing is that these are the best of the lot--funny, affectionate, well behaved, good bathroom habits. They are both AKC Champions although that is neither here nor there.

treehugger
4-18-11, 11:52am
DH has expressed some trepidation about adopting a senior since he has a hard time parting with his animal friends. I think I am a little less sensitive about pet death, maybe from having had many more pets in the course of my life, and so while it's never pleasant, I am less afraid of it than he is.

This is a valid worry about adopting a senior, but I do think that the joy and love you get from them helps outweigh this. You are truly giving a senior pet a second chance at a great forever home, and even if the time with them is short, it's worth it.

Our greyhound rescue group adopts out ex-racers who are usually age 2 to 5, but sometimes we get brood matrons who are anywhere from 6 to 12 years old. The average life span of a racing greyhound is 12 to 14 years. Anyway, those who have been lucky enough to adopt a "broodie" (we almost never get senior males, since the kennels don't keep males around [they just keep their sperm!]), enjoy the pleasure of an extra-sweet, extra-calm dog for a few wonderful years. These dogs are destroyed if not adopted, so being able to give them a few years of lovely retirement feels like a bonus rather than a limit.

Kara

SRP
4-18-11, 3:46pm
Yes, if I adopt another pet, it will definitely be a mature one, though I won't limit it to "senior" only. My dog is 13 now, and very definitely showing her age. We've been through a lot lately, but I think we've achieved a new balance. Thank goodness. I'm not ready to lose her yet. I adopted her from a humane society when she was 4. She'd lived her first four yeas there after being left on their doorstep as a puppy. She is a wonderful dog.

My cat just died - she was 18, and for an outdoor cat, that's pretty ancient. It was heartbreaking to come home and find her dead in the yard. But she'd been healthy right up to the end and showed no signs of struggle or injury. I hope that I'm right that she simply knew it was her time to go.

I also have a senior horse who is 22. So far, so good... she's old and a bit arthritic, but doing all right. She was born right in front of our barn and has never had another home. She's had a pretty cushy life, that's for sure.

Having older animals can be a challenge, but it also can be a very rewarding experience, to know that you are able to give them the very best home possible, so that they can live their lives in comfort.

fidgiegirl
4-18-11, 7:38pm
The Grannies are a bonded pair at 8 and 10 years old. French Bulldog rescue representative told me that it will be practically impossible to place both of them together at their advanced age. So, we are keeping them. And the really ironic thing is that these are the best of the lot--funny, affectionate, well behaved, good bathroom habits. They are both AKC Champions although that is neither here nor there.

Oh!! If only I could take them!! Actually, next time we adopt, I have it in my mind that I want to get two at the same time. Bryce thinks it would be too hard to introduce another dog onto Corky's turf, and I think he is right about that. So I'd want to get two that live together in our house from the minute they arrive here.

What is it about bulldogs that you love, iris?

iris lily
4-18-11, 11:33pm
Oh!! If only I could take them!! Actually, next time we adopt, I have it in my mind that I want to get two at the same time. Bryce thinks it would be too hard to introduce another dog onto Corky's turf, and I think he is right about that. So I'd want to get two that live together in our house from the minute they arrive here.

What is it about bulldogs that you love, iris?

Oh, I love the bulldogs because they are so silly and fat and useless.

Now, do not tell my Frenchies, but after a 3 year experiment with owning Frenchies I have to confess that they do not move me the way the English bulldogs do. I love the big bulldogs and that's why I do bulldog rescue. Someday I will have a very nice English again.

HappyHiker
5-1-11, 7:10pm
Our dog, Mr. Regal, is around 14..he's mostly deaf, mostly blind, but still eats with great gusto and manages pretty well...he's a cool doggie and we've been lucky to have him around so long...

iris lily
5-1-11, 9:18pm
Today was a bittersweet day.

We had someone come here today, driving four hours to pick up the "problem" dog from our pack of 6 dogs. He had great references. He's had French Bulldogs for 20 years. He likes taking the difficult ones and turning them around.

His verdict on her was: she is agressive. Underneath the fear biting is agression.
He is taking her, but only for evauluation. I think he is her only hope. Her chances are probably 50/50.

However, he fell in love with the feisty red headed "Gem" who is a little snappy and standoffish with humans, who beats up other dogs, but who is a beautiful red rotund Frenchy. She loves car rides and going on walks. He thinks she needs a strong leader and she will stop trying to beat up all other dogs (except for her big black boyfriend who she adores.)

ANYWAY--the guy ended up taking three dogs. yay! We said "Gem can't go without her boyfriend King" and since King is a dude, a big easy going clown dog, he's easy to love so they took him.

I am down to 4 Frenchies now--one of which we will be placing in another home when she gets better, she's been emaciated and full of worms and we are fixing that.

fidgiegirl
5-1-11, 11:33pm
One of my students told me the other day that his dog is EIGHTEEN!!! I didn't ask what breed, but I've never heard of such an old dog.

iris lily
5-1-11, 11:59pm
One of my students told me the other day that his dog is EIGHTEEN!!! I didn't ask what breed, but I've never heard of such an old dog.

He's probably some tiny little yapper!

Wildflower
5-2-11, 12:02am
Iris Lily, good to hear the Frenchies are going to a good home with someone that can deal with their issues. Will the aggressive one be coming back to you if he can't change her behavior?

Fidgiegirl, from what I've heard and seen myself, mutts live the longest lives. They just don't have the high number of health problems that purebred dogs often have....

iris lily
5-2-11, 7:59am
Iris Lily, good to hear the Frenchies are going to a good home with someone that can deal with their issues. Will the aggressive one be coming back to you if he can't change her behavior?

Fidgiegirl, from what I've heard and seen myself, mutts live the longest lives. They just don't have the high number of health problems that purebred dogs often have....

She (the biter) can come back here, in fact, we've insisted that we will drive to get her if they guy doesn't keep her. However, if she comes back here it's not going to be pretty. I won't keep a dog who bites. It's likely that we will put her down although that's going to kill my friend from French Bulldog Rescue network who has been helping me with these dogs. But FBRN will not take a known aggressive dog, nor should they.

Anne Lee
5-2-11, 9:36am
What a bundle of fuzzy love! Mr. Lily and all the Lily pups are just adorable. Enjoy the ladies.

I go back and forth about getting another dog. I think for the foreseeable future we will remain dogfree as I'd like our soon to be empty nest (in a year or two) to be truly empty. DH and I would like to do a little more spur of the moment traveling. But to show my support for pets, I'm supporting our local humane society.