PDA

View Full Version : would you save this paperwork?

pinkytoe
3-3-16, 5:17pm
Cleaning out "memento" folders I have been avoiding and came across all the legal paperwork for both of my parent's estates from 25 or so years ago. Wills, family correspondence, deposit slips after distribution of assets, lawyer letters. Is there any reason at all to save this stuff or shall I let it go?

kally
3-3-16, 6:17pm
Don't know legally. I might keep a copy of each will and anything hand written and dump everything else unless there are mortgage papers or something.

rosarugosa
3-3-16, 6:29pm
I would also keep death certificates.

Simplemind
3-3-16, 11:32pm
It is just my own thing but I would say yes. I am scanning everything to save.

ToomuchStuff
3-4-16, 1:07am
Scanning is a good idea, as well as death certificates, but what I am wondering about, is if you have some sort of paperwork, showing all the probate stuff was finalized? (final order of the court) I think that is one thing I would hang on to, or at least make sure you scanned it.

simplelife4me
3-4-16, 7:38am
Let it go.

pinkytoe
3-4-16, 8:33am
showing all the probate stuff was finalized
Yes, however there was one asset that was "illiquid" at the time - a partnership in a development that was supposedly transferred to our names though I had forgotten all about it till I saw the paperwork. Being that it was 25 years ago, I imagine it went under during a recession and that was that. But now I wonder...

rodeosweetheart
3-4-16, 8:47am
As someone who does geneological research, I vote keep the wills, as they are a treasure trove of information for future generations.

iris lilies
3-4-16, 10:30am
As someone who does geneological research, I vote keep the wills, as they are a treasure trove of information for future generations.
I agree, they are great genealogical records. The O's great grandchildren might be very interested. Someone in my family snet to me a digital copy of the will of a gg grandfather, and it was interesting.