PDA

View Full Version : How lazy are you on Saturday mornings?

Life_is_Simple
4-16-11, 11:47am
I am extremely, extremely lazy on Saturday morning. Saturday mornings are my time to let the busy-ness of the week dissipate, have no time constraints, and sit here with my laptop. I will catch up on my online banking (which is the only real work I do), read some of my 'net forums. Let the energy flow back into my body.

My friend commented yesterday that during the week, my brain gets full, and i need a "brain janitor."

So Saturday mornings, I let the Brain Janitor do his thing.

Some time later, if the Brain Janitor has been successful, I may start to tidy a little. Or come up with other ideas of things to do.

Currently, the Brain Janitor is no more than half done ;)

Rosemary
4-16-11, 11:52am
I get up and make breakfast for everyone as usual, but the best Saturdays find us still in our pajamas at lunchtime.
Summer is different, though - I'm outside as much as possible, walking, biking, working in the garden early in the day.

ljevtich
4-16-11, 12:04pm
My Saturday is usually some laziness in the morning, while I still make breakfast or sometimes DH makes "brunch" usually eggs with lots of veggies. But we then usually go back to oatmeal on the next day of our weekend.

Once I start working at Grand Canyon National Park, I will have (every two weeks) a three day weekend. I think we will be a little more active then. One day to veg and the other two days to have fun. But sometimes you just need to let your mind escape all of the info you get. As long as you don't do this all the time, I think you should be fine.

domestic goddess
4-16-11, 12:52pm
Okay, I'm a lazy bum on Sat. mornings! I like the "brain janitor" excuse; think I'll adopt that one, if you don't mind. Sunday is always a quiet day, too. I do plan to do some much needed shopping later, if the pain in my legs lessens. If not, oh well, I can go to bed and read.
ljevtich, I have a 3 day weekend every week, and I still have trouble getting up and moving! Inertia sustains itself. You have to fight it! I don't.

ApatheticNoMore
4-16-11, 1:15pm
Well I'm chronically lazy so :).

Honestly the worst was when I had an hour commute each way to a full time job once (job was extremely stressful too). I spent most of Saturday sleeping to recover then (that much driving really drained me), I wouldn't get up until mid afternoon. I hope not to have to do that again, but who knows.

mattj
4-16-11, 1:58pm
It's not unheard of for me to sleep right through morning and wake up for lunch. Today was different.. up and ready to go at 7:30... went for a walk... did a few things at home... took the kids to the garden center and Aldi.. put out mulch etc. I bet there's a nap in my near future though ;)

Alan
4-16-11, 2:11pm
I'm usually pretty lazy on Saturday mornings, as well as afternoons and evenings. Today is a little worse than usual though. Up at 8:30 rather than my usual 6am. Sat around drinking coffee and watching it rain through mid-morning. My wife went out for her Saturday morning Zumba class at 9:30 which allowed me an hour and a half of complete isolation and silence. Had scrambled eggs at 11:30 after she returned. Now it's 2pm and I'm still not dressed, nor have I done anything at all.

Yeah, I'm pretty lazy on most Saturday mornings, but particularly so on this one.

goldensmom
4-16-11, 4:56pm
I sleep in until 6 AM on Saturday rather than the usual 5 AM during the week when my husbands leaves for work. Our Saturday mornings are 'unstructured and flexible' but we are usually out and about by 9AM. Dog demands and farm chores do no allow much down time but it feels lazy when compared to Sunday or a weekday.

Mrs-M
4-16-11, 5:06pm
I think being a little lazy (or a lot lazy) on Saturday mornings (weekend mornings for that matter) is a good thing. It helps rejuvenate the body and soul and spirit.

rosarugosa
4-16-11, 5:09pm
My intentions are always so good, but sometimes I get off to a late start. But I still always manage to do all the housework and laundry, and the occasional extra project.

pinkytoe
4-16-11, 5:10pm
There is usually too much going on in this city to be lazy on Saturday. Farmer's markets, garage sales, birding, volunteer work but this morning I made an exception and slept in till 8. Sunday am is my lazy time - I can spend two hours reading the paper and drinking coffee.

lhamo
4-16-11, 7:05pm
I love weekend mornings -- this is also my major decompression time. I usually am up at 4:30 am during the week, so on weekends I get to "sleep in" -- usually up by 6-6:30, but even that extra hour or two makes such a difference. The rest of the family doesn't start stirring until 7:00 or sometimes even 8:00 or later, and I enjoy the quiet time on my own. If I am making something special for breakfast (which I do a few times a month), I'll get that started -- get the muffins or other baked treat in the oven, or whip up the pancake batter so I can start making them when people start getting up. Otherwise it is me, a cup of coffee and my favorite websites. This is #1, of course! I'll often do updates to our finance spreadsheet -- i keep on top of tracking most things during the week, but need to input investment changes, especially at the end of the month. I'll catch up on Facebook and email with friends and family. Plan my grocery shopping and meals for the weekend. I usually head out to shop around 9:00-9:30, and it takes about an hour for me to do the rounds -- cheap small grocery store for staples, veggie stand, fruit stand, then import store for the rest. When I wasn't doing afternoon workouts with the trainer I would do my workout on the way to shop, leaving around 8-8:30.

Many of the people we know have kids involved in weekend classes and sports activities. I am really resistant to that, because it seems to interfere with having a flexible approach to the weekend. I figure weekdays are so scheduled out already, why mess with the weekend? I love having that wide open, we can do whatever we want feeling on Friday night/Saturday morning.

lhamo

treehugger
4-18-11, 12:21pm
I don't seem to be able to sleep in, ever, no matter what time I go to bed, but I definitely enjoy having no agenda for weekend mornings. Getting to slowly ease into my day (in contrast to weekday mornings) is a real luxury. The earliest I will schedule something on a Saturday is the 9:30 a.m. class my friend teaches at the gym. She can sometimes get me free visitor's passes, so I will do that and then grocery shop after.

Count me in as someone who needs to let the brain janitor do its work on the weekends!

Kara

Fawn
4-18-11, 8:55pm
rrrrrDesperately needing a jammie day.

babr
4-20-11, 8:16am
i truly have a difficult time being lazy; on sat. i will be washing whites as its lower heat and electricity bills; we do try to do something fun on the weekends which is nice; i come from a family of workaholics; but will take a page from your posts; and try to cut back

Spartana
4-20-11, 2:08pm
I'm retired so everyday is Lazy Lindi day for me ;)! Actually Sat is like any other day for me in that I get up around 6 am, leave the house by 6:30 and am really busy (playing :D) all day long. Then around 6 to 7 pm I crash. Drag my sorry, exhausted behind home, shower, eat, put on the PJ's and hang with the pups watching the boob tube or read the rest of the night. Don't go to sleep until around midnight but definetly am not a night owl.

Rogar
4-22-11, 9:40am
I no longer work, which sort of puts a whole different light on Saturdays. I do volunteer wildlife surveys part of the year and always schedule my time on Saturdays so am up and out early. I like getting away from the bustle of shopping traffic busy recreational areas on weekends. I'm a morning person and have never been good about relaxing early in the day or sleeping in. My relaxation time is typically in the early afternoon and will settle in with a good book for an hour or two on slow days.

Gardenarian
4-25-11, 4:17pm
Lucky me - I get a three day week-end every week, so Friday is my Saturday. We get out of the house by 8 to get dd to wilderness studies, and I use the time to take a long hike. I love my Fridays; I go hiking no matter the weather. On actual Saturdays I'm usually up and gardening.

I never have to get up particularly early for work (I usually start at 9 or 10) so sleeping in is not a big deal.
Thank all the gods for part-time work!

larknm
4-27-11, 6:50pm
Now that warmer weather is often here, I take Cochiti (African Grey Parrot) to the Saturday farmers' market, where she gets held by many adults and kids, old friends and strangers, and gets her photo taken many times, and gets offered a bean by this vendor and a sprig of spinach by another. All this makes her seriously happy--I mean happy with a serious demeanor of studying and taking in everything. She prefers men, so when a man holds her, she usually climbs up his arm, onto his shoulder and nestles by his neck. It's good for her, them and me.

iris lily
4-27-11, 7:55pm
Sunday morning are MY lazy time. Usually on Saturdays I am running around getting things done. Often I go in to work on Saturdays.

I recently stopped going to our Sunday coffee group because it was taking up time and was no longer relaxing, it was an obligation. Now I stay home in the AM and putter around the kitchen and listen to the radio.

rosarugosa
4-29-11, 9:06pm
Hey Larknm, Wish I could bump into you and Cochiti at the farmers market someday; she sounds delightful!
IrisLily, I am totally with you there, I conquer the world on Sat, so take it kind of easy on Sun :)
Spartana, I think I only see midnight once every five years or so!

Stella
5-2-11, 2:12pm
Inspired by just the title of this thread I took some lazy time last Saturday morning. It was lovely.

Mrs-M
12-8-12, 12:33pm
Bump!

Just happened upon this thread and had a laugh! It's Saturday, and so, after logging-in over an hour ago, I'm still here!!!

Anyone else got the Saturday morning lazies?

Tradd
12-8-12, 1:03pm
I'm very lazy on Saturday mornings! Especially now that I don't have to study! :) I need a cup of that caffeine you're pouring! I have the electric kettle going now for tea.

Mrs-M
12-8-12, 1:38pm
LOL, Tradd! There's always lots to go around, and always a cup of two for those like you! :)

ApatheticNoMore
12-8-12, 2:00pm
Hey well what do you know I'm doing the 1 hour commute each way for work again (mentioned in my previous post in this thread) - a lot less distance than that other time, but traffic is worse so it's still around 50 minutes spent in the car and 10 walking (work parking is not that close) each way to work.

And so Saturday morning a lot is going on, but I usually arrive at the morning exhausted and just wanting to do nothing, and so miss out on a lot (I have energy by Saturday afternoon, Sunday, but no everything is just happening on Sat morning, when I'm just RECOVERING from the week - finally time for myself! finally!!!!!!).

Mrs-M
12-8-12, 3:58pm
Perfect tea-day, ApatheticNoMore!

Tammy
12-8-12, 5:31pm
6 mile bike ride at about 8 this morning to breakfast at a cafe. I have loads of weekend energy for things I love, now that the kids are grown.

artist
12-8-12, 5:35pm
Not at all. I work on Saturday mornings. My day off is Sunday and I'm up at 5:30 because of church stuff.

bunnys
12-8-12, 7:17pm
Up usually @ 6ish. Or w/no alarm, 7. Drink coffee and Internet until 8:30 when I get dressed and to the park for the dog walk. Home by 10:30 then breakie and make my list for errands. Once they're done, I'm pretty much useless for the rest of the day. Same routine on Sundays, but then I'll do my laundry or something else domestic (and lots of cooking for the week) instead of running around doing errands.

But this Saturday I was out the door by 8:00 as I am the forensics coach at my school and we had yet another all day tournament. There is NOTHING that sucks the life out of a person more than sitting around a high school cafeteria all day long on a Saturday afternoon. Today, we didn't get out until nearly 5P.

Tiam
12-8-12, 8:00pm
Bump!

Just happened upon this thread and had a laugh! It's Saturday, and so, after logging-in over an hour ago, I'm still here!!!

Anyone else got the Saturday morning lazies?

Oh, my goodness, Yes! I'm glad t hear it's not just me! I think it's the season. I notice that in November and December when the days get really short and the cold is really setting in, I get lethargic and lazy. It picks up later in January. I'm not sure if it's just acclimation, but I know this time of year is difficult for me. So, barely anything done this Saturday. I don't want to do anything. I did go to a book sale, took a 30 minute walk in the woods and got some minimal housework done. Other than that, I'm a slug.

peggy
12-8-12, 10:49pm
Not as lazy as I would like to be! I help my sister with her bakery on Saturday mornings so I'm up EARLY! Oh-dark-30! So afternoons on sat are kind of lazy as I usually come home and take a nap. At least this time of year. In the summer there is always something happening in the garden or with the trees or ponds that need attention. This time of year, I just watch the muskrats busy gathering as much cattail as they can store, and the robins stuffing themselves in great flocks that descend on the yard, or Bradford trees. (the whole first robin of spring thing is a hoax! They never actually leave. They are here all winter in the woods, venturing out on any simi-warm day to eat whatever they find)
Sunday is my day of rest. The husband/prince grills and the daughter makes the salad, and I do whatever I wish (more or less).

Zoebird
12-8-12, 11:58pm
Currently, not at all lazy! I teach a class at 9:30 am every saturday now!

And in the afternoons, DS and I are hanging out while DH does his writing time. This coming Saturday afternoon, DS and I are going to make the stick-and-twine skeleton of our christmas tree, then when DH gets back at 4:30, we're going to go out and pick pine branches and pohutukawa branches (NZ christmas tree-- it blooms red! and there are also yellow versions!), and then twine them to the skeleton. Then hang it on the wall.

We might even make some paper ornaments for it, too. I don't know.

Then the saturday after that, we are doing the big declutter and clean/organize before my ILs come -- after I teach class. I told DH that he will not get writing time until the house is as I want it, and I need his help. It won't take long if we work together (it's a small house), but it needs to be done!

pony mom
12-9-12, 12:04am
I work Saturdays, so Sunday is my Saturday. And I LOVE to sleep. Usually my deepest sleep is between 8-10am so if I sleep in, I don't get up until after 10 or 11. Flip thru the paper, eat breakfast, no rush. My day is usually taken up by spending time at the barn, then doing a complete water change on my fishtank. Usually that's about it. In nice weather I'll sometimes drive my bike to some railtrails early in the morning before it gets crowded and ride 12-15 miles.

Being so lazy has its disadvantages. Seems like the whole day is wasted by sleeping so late.

I really hate working Saturdays, but like having Mondays off.

AmeliaJane
12-9-12, 8:51am
I do my errands on Saturday morning. The library branch I use has a cafe nearby. I like to get my books then go get a cup of coffee or if I am feeling decadent, eat lunch before finishing grocery shopping. Once I get home and finish tidying up and laundry, I have the rest of the weekend free to play or rest or catch up with family. I do turn off the alarm, though, and wake up naturally.

Mrs-M
12-9-12, 3:18pm
Lots of fun reading everybody's entries!

I go hard and steady (all the time) as a homemaker, so when days come around where I sense I'm due for a little spoiling, I don't feel one bit guilty over spoiling myself! LMAO!

catherine
12-9-12, 3:26pm
I always tell myself I'm going to do some work on Saturdays, but if I've had a busy week, I just can't get myself to do it. My internal motivator is on "pause"--so I've learned to accept the day of rest and then work on Sunday (maybe I should be Jewish instead of Christian).

I really, really love to putter. I don't like to get up late--I'm an early riser (as is Nessie, my dog), but that doesn't mean I do much of anything important. I just go where the wind blows me, whether it's goofing off on the internet, going for a long walk, working on a hobby, watching a good movie on TV, or even finding satisfaction in decluttering a small area.

Mrs-M
12-9-12, 4:05pm
Tiam. Add me to the list of the lethargic and lazy (come winter)! LOL!!!

Oh, Peggy, helping out your sister at her bakery sounds delightful! How I wish I could join you!

That sounds lovely, Zoebird!

Pony Mom. I'm an early-riser (by nature), however, when I've extended myself to the point of exhaustion, occasionally, I'll take-in a little extra beauty-sleep, and boy does it ever feel good! Now, if only I could train my DH and kids to serve me breakfast in bed! LMAO!

AmeliaJane. Sounds like you really know how to spoil yourself!

Oh, Catherine, I know all about the pause-mode!!! ROTFLMAO! And it's getting worse the older I'm getting!!!

citrine
12-10-12, 11:52am
I work on the weekends so Monday is my Saturday....and I love having a couple of cups of coffee, doing laundry, and catching up on the forums :)

Life_is_Simple
12-21-12, 10:40pm
Oh I started this thread originally :laff: I didn't even remember, but it does sound like me ;)

happystuff
5-29-21, 6:38pm
I know this is an old thread, but it strikes close to home right now. With working a second shift for the first time in my life, and having such a physically demanding job during the week - Saturday is now my "recovery" day. I may get a few little things done here and there, but for the most part, I'm just trying to relax and - almost literally - wake up.

razz
5-29-21, 6:52pm
I think it is smart to plan a quiet recovery day for our well-being and especially when the schedule is so different. The trick is to make it happen. What does that take - less perfectionism, more planning on alternative ways of doing, re-evaluating what is truly necessary vs routine - are a few thoughts that come to mind.

Something simple that happened in my life as an example. My bed had bedsheets, covered with a cotton blanket and a duvet on top. The blanket was so long and a pain to strip for laundering the sheets and then when remaking the bed. I finally realized that the blanket was an unnecessary routine addition that I had for years without questioning. Life has been better without it. Other things have similar effects when I really examine if they are necessary at all.
Yay for relaxing Saturdays!!!!!

Teacher Terry
5-29-21, 10:07pm
When I worked I always had a stay at home day to rest.

Gardnr
5-29-21, 10:20pm
I did all our errands and laundry and house chores during the M-F workweek no matter how long the days. Weekends were sacred time: play, rest, relax, recover.

catherine
5-30-21, 8:06am
I also find that Saturday is my "day of rest"--I've often thought that Sunday as the traditional day of rest doesn't work for me. By Saturday morning, I'm tired from work and schedules and demands. Sometimes I say I'm going to be busy on Saturday, but instead the day just gets away from me by me just doing nothing. It feels good.

KayLR
5-30-21, 6:40pm
I am busier on Saturdays, then relax and do "me" things on Sunday. Having said that, I never sleep well on Sunday nights in anticipation of going back to work in the morning. I can. not. wait. to. retire. I'm just afraid no one is going to apply for my job. It didn't have any takers after 2 days on Indeed. I thought at least I'd get the usual people applying because they have to for unemployment.

happystuff
5-30-21, 6:43pm
I am busier on Saturdays, then relax and do "me" things on Sunday. Having said that, I never sleep well on Sunday nights in anticipation of going back to work in the morning. I can. not. wait. to. retire. I'm just afraid no one is going to apply for my job. It didn't have any takers after 2 days on Indeed. I thought at least I'd get the usual people applying because they have to for unemployment.

What do you do and can it be done remotely???

LOL. Yes, I'm still looking for another job!

Edited to add: Seriously! Feel free to pm me.

Tybee
5-31-21, 5:55am
I have to teach one of the weekend days, remotely, so I teach Saturday morning, then take off from noon through Monday morning. Well, that's the theory, but in reality I also work some during that stretch of time.

So I guess Sunday is my relaxing day, although Saturday afternoon feels great, with "school out" for the weekend.

Gardnr
5-31-21, 10:51am
I can. not. wait. to. retire. I'm just afraid no one is going to apply for my job. It didn't have any takers after 2 days on Indeed. I thought at least I'd get the usual people applying because they have to for unemployment.

Someone filling your job is not your problem. If you're ready to retire JUST DO IT! My boss was quite surprised I gave only the required 28 days notice. I followed policy and not a day more. Leadership jobs take average 6-9 months to fill. Not my problem.

Alan
5-31-21, 12:33pm
Someone filling your job is not your problem. If you're ready to retire JUST DO IT! My boss was quite surprised I gave only the required 28 days notice. I followed policy and not a day more. Leadership jobs take average 6-9 months to fill. Not my problem.
I did just the opposite. For the last dozen years of my career I was a one-man shop devising, maintaining and overseeing DEA required security requirements for a small pharma manufacturer. When I decided it was time to retire, I knew the company would need to recruit just the right person who would then require a certain amount of time to be brought up to speed on systems and processes. As a result, I announced my intention to retire in early January, 2018 and actually retired on August 1, 2018. I couldn't bring myself to consider it not my problem, but rather as my responsibility.

KayLR
5-31-21, 2:42pm
I did just the opposite. For the last dozen years of my career I was a one-man shop devising, maintaining and overseeing DEA required security requirements for a small pharma manufacturer. When I decided it was time to retire, I knew the company would need to recruit just the right person who would then require a certain amount of time to be brought up to speed on systems and processes. As a result, I announced my intention to retire in early January, 2018 and actually retired on August 1, 2018. I couldn't bring myself to consider it not my problem, but rather as my responsibility.

Kinda my take on it too, Alan. Although not as high of a responsibility as yours, I do feel some integrity toward making sure the next person is well-trained. I don't want to leave that way, with chaos and uncertainties in my wake. They have known of my intention to retire since last summer, but then my boss changed his sabbatical plans due to the pandemic and begged me not to leave until his return. THEN HR decided (after I itemized for a month everything I do--they were clueless) to rewrite my position description. So, now I wait...frankly I think they added too much, and should hire a contract person to do social media/web and just leave the position as an admin. But, not my decision.

jp1
5-31-21, 6:15pm
I suppose it depends on one's job and one's relationship with their employer how much notice is reasonable. Based on KayLR's brief description it sounds like HR is trying to force her into staying longer than what she had planned by dumping additional responsibilities onto her that she never signed up for. I wonder if they even increased her pay when they did this. My guess would be no since she questions whether they would find a new employee. The answer is probably not unless they come up with significantly more money than they are paying her. Frankly her boss should have stayed until she had retired and her replacement hired and trained before he went on his delayed sabbatical. If she retires and the department turns into chaos in her absence it's on him. Given these circumstances I wouldn't feel bad about leaving, or I would at least go to HR and tell them that I was willing to stay for a set period of time (3 months? 6 months?) while they find a replacement (temporary or permanent) and that person gets brought up to speed, but that I will only do that with a commitment bonus from employer. Otherwise I will be turning in my two weeks notice by the end of the day. Then the company can decide how important she really is.

The bottom line is that no one should spend sunday night dreading having to go to work on monday. Some people have to because they need the income. Since KayLR was planning to retire anyway it sounds like she doesn't need to make herself miserable for an employer that doesn't seem too concerned about her well being.

Gardnr
5-31-21, 7:56pm
Kinda my take on it too, Alan. Although not as high of a responsibility as yours, I do feel some integrity toward making sure the next person is well-trained. I don't want to leave that way, with chaos and uncertainties in my wake. They have known of my intention to retire since last summer, but then my boss changed his sabbatical plans due to the pandemic and begged me not to leave until his return. THEN HR decided (after I itemized for a month everything I do--they were clueless) to rewrite my position description. So, now I wait...frankly I think they added too much, and should hire a contract person to do social media/web and just leave the position as an admin. But, not my decision.

From this 10000 foot view, they are manipulating you into staying because they believe you'll stay (and you have!). Only you can decide your date so I would do it. Be it 3 weeks or 3 months. Give notice. You obviously want to retire. They are not going to do it for you.

JaneV2.0
6-1-21, 11:40am
Corporate loyalty is an oxymoron--it is only a memory, if it ever existed.
I agree; submit your notice and don't give it another thought.

KayLR
6-1-21, 12:39pm
Thanks, but a few apps are trickling in. So I will heed my conscience and stay through training the next person. This is not a corporation; it's a non-profit, and I care about it too much to leave it in the lurch.

Alan
6-1-21, 1:36pm
Thanks, but a few apps are trickling in. So I will heed my conscience and stay through training the next person. This is not a corporation; it's a non-profit, and I care about it too much to leave it in the lurch.
That's commendable, I very much respect that.

happystuff
6-2-21, 11:03am
That's commendable, I very much respect that.

I agree with Alan - :0! (just kidding!!! LOL)

Good for you, Kay. Do what you feel you need to do and leave feeling good about your departure.