PDA

View Full Version : Erin Go Bragh

LDAHL
3-17-16, 3:00pm
At the risk of accusations of cultural appropriation, happy St. Patrick's day.

catherine
3-17-16, 3:02pm
haha!

Yes, Happy St.Patrick's Day. I just sent my kids an analysis of our right to say "Kiss Me, I'm Irish" based on our family lineage, and I think it's roughly 20%. So I wear green, and DH wears orange, but it's all good!

Unfortunately, it's no Guinness for me, though, since I'll be interviewing until 9pm tonight, so will a few of you please have a pint for me!

Ultralight
3-17-16, 3:06pm
I hate to admit this:

I am 15% Irish.

iris lily
3-17-16, 3:26pm

Ultralight
3-17-16, 3:27pm
http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1576&stc=1

I am not sure I really know the difference.

Teacher Terry
3-17-16, 3:29pm
My Dad was half Irish and I had red hair so we will go out for a good Irish meal and beer. Many places will have live music outside, etc.

Ultralight
3-17-16, 3:33pm
...a good Irish meal and beer.

I love Irish stew with lamb. So, so yummy!

LDAHL
3-17-16, 3:34pm
My mother's father was a Chicago fireman who used to boast about his proud lineage of Irish rebels and riffraff. He named his first son James and his first daughter Joyce. My grandmother used to warn us not to believe a word he said.

I have a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel Reserve to toast his memory tonight.

rodeosweetheart
3-17-16, 4:00pm
Thanks to Ancestry I have learned i am 19% Irish, and I have Irish Quaker grandparents who came over and bought land from William Penn!

So I'm into this year, for the first time ever!

rodeosweetheart
3-17-16, 4:06pm
Thanks to Ancestry I have learned i am 19% Irish, and I have Irish Quaker grandparents who came over and bought land from William Penn!

So I'm into this year, for the first time ever!

Teacher Terry
3-17-16, 4:09pm
I had thought of doing ancestry but my family is certain of their heritage. My Grandma's maiden name was definitely Irish.

iris lilies
3-17-16, 4:24pm

My Scots immigrant ancestor got married in Ireland, and that gg grandmother when he married might have been Irish. But I dont care about that, its just not interesting ro me.

JaneV2.0
3-17-16, 4:47pm
It's all interesting to me--especially the scoundrels.
I'm having ground beef and cauliflower (keema, with onions and peas). I'll get caught up with Corned beef soon.

catherine
3-17-16, 5:01pm

Don't say that to a Scotsman! The response that I got from DH to the email I sent to my kids this morning with evidence that, despite his lifelong propaganda, we are NOT 100% Scottish was a long diatribe stating my email is Communist crap and that they have 100% of HIS DNA. Interesting perspective. Not very good science, though.

He seems to forget that while his own paternal grandmother lived in Scotland, she was definitely Irish.

iris lilies
3-17-16, 5:19pm
Don't say that to a Scotsman! The response that I got from DH to the email I sent to my kids this morning with evidence that, despite his lifelong propaganda, we are NOT 100% Scottish was a long diatribe stating my email is Communist crap and that they have 100% of HIS DNA. Interesting perspective. Not very good science, though.

He seems to forget that while his own paternal grandmother lived in Scotland, she was definitely Irish.

Hahaha. Science/schmience, who needs that!

I know, I had written a screed to the Rev UL but decided that he was not being deliberately provocative and I deleted it. :~)

Ultralight
3-17-16, 5:23pm
Hahaha. Science/schmience, who needs that!

I know, I had written a screed to the Rev UL but decided that he was not being deliberately provocative and I deleted it. :~)

I want to read it!

nswef
3-17-16, 5:33pm
I never thought of Irish Quakers....we have a good bit- Mom's side traced over to Ireland. Dad, not so sure. Happy St. Pat's.

oldhat
3-17-16, 5:43pm
I think St. Patrick's Day, at least as celebrated in the US, is one of the dumber holidays.

I'm not sentimental about my Irish heritage. Those people had it tough. My paternal great-grandmother died in NYC while still in her 40s. My cousin uncovered her death certificate, which lists her cause of death as "exhaustion."

However, I expect she left Ireland to escape an even more unpleasant fate.

lessisbest
3-17-16, 6:39pm
Hubby is nearly all Irish - a pack of cut-throats and horse thieves, and I brought the long lost Irish foods back to the family after I took an Irish cooking class. If St. Patrick's Day falls on Friday or Saturday we usually have a "hooley" (party) with all traditional foods. St. Patrick's Day is my favorite holiday - great food and no gifts!

Teacher Terry
3-17-16, 7:07pm
It actually is a big deal in the town we live in now. After we retired we started going out to an Irish pub for dinner/beer. Also there are about 6 irish pubs some with live music outside all within walking distance so we do that.Always have a good time and met new people. The weather is usually decent this time of year too which helps.

iris lilies
3-17-16, 7:27pm
I want to read it!
Too bad, its gone, but it probably used words like "communist" and "pinko" as well.

haha.

ApatheticNoMore
3-17-16, 8:59pm
I'm 1/8th Irish, so it's no cultural appropriation, that's a full 12.5%

IshbelRobertson
3-23-16, 4:24pm

Seriously?

I'm much the same about USA-ians and Canadians (not).

iris lilies
3-23-16, 4:53pm
Seriously?

I'm much the same about USA-ians and Canadians (not).

Its part of his game to deny his
Irish heritage. If its not unique, then it doesn't matter, or thats the logic. :)

Ultralight
3-23-16, 4:57pm
I am only 15%!