PDA

View Full Version : thinning hair

Catwoman
4-16-11, 6:40pm
My hair has been thinning on top for several years, linked to low thyroid. I just colored it darker than usual and it seems to be even thinner on top. I colored it a week ago..I wonder if it is the contrast of my white scalp that is making it more evident or an effect of using hair color. If it would thicken up my hair, I would be happy to stop coloring it! Any suggestions guys, I don't want to be a bald headed woman at 52 - Thanks! I also did look up other reasons, one is unrelenting stress, that would define my classroom this year, it is like going to war every day - but only six more weeks of this group.

Kestrel
4-16-11, 11:34pm
Ugh; me too. (I'm 67) I don't think it's hereditary -- my father's side of the family had very fine and thin hair, but no baldness whatsoever. My maternal grandmother's side of the family had thick coarse hair, but my maternal grandfather was bald on top. My brother and one sister got the fine/thin hair, and my other sister and I got the fine and thick hair. But looks like I inheirited some recessive genes somewhere along the line. Stress could be a part tho ... my DH has been extremely busy since retirement, which has put a lot of stress on me. ... Also, I use a cpap at night, and the top strap runs across the top of my head where it's thinnest. Which I don't think is a good thing. So I'm not a happy girl here. >:(:0!:( However, DH is darn close to bald on top, so he doesn't sympathize with me much.

Oh ... my hairdresser recommended Nutri-Ox products (have to get them at a beauty supply shop) -- 3C spray-on treatment for extremely thin and fine hair, and I also use the shampoo and conditioner.

rosarugosa
4-17-11, 8:14am
I do think a dark hair color emphasizes the thinning. I think you're right about the contrast between dark hair color and pale scalp color.

Float On
4-17-11, 8:40am
Hereditary hair loss tends to be passed along thru the maternal side rather than the paternal side. I do think the darker hair would contrast more against your scalp than a lighter color - I know I really notice my husband's thinning hair (and he does not have a good head shape for the bald look), he has very dark hairexcept for all the 'translucent' (gray) hair.

I have thick but slow growing hair,I know the only time my hair grew fast and even thicker was when I took prenatal vitamins. I've been tempted to try them again to see if it'll help me grow out my hair faster.

I wish there were an easy 'fix', I have two friends struggling with hair thinning due to thyroid as well. I was reading someone's blog the other day and she had hair extensions put in a couple weeks ago to plump up her chin length hair (not changing the length of her cut), made a huge difference.

Kestrel
4-17-11, 9:53am
You know, you're right. I do remember "knowing" once that balding came from the mother's side. My older son is nearly bald, and second son is quite thin on top. Hmmmmm

I'm not really concerned about thinning per se, except right on top. The rest of my hair is JUST FINE. :~)

I didn't know about the thyroid connection. Anything you can do on your own about that, or do you have to see a doctor?

leslieann
4-17-11, 10:50am
There may also be another hormone connection. A naturopathic doc explained to me just the other day (as I mentioned my thinning hair) that if progesterone is particularly low, it can make the thyroid function less well. So even though tests for thyroid hormones test out at adequate levels, if progesterone is low those hormones may not work as effectively.

I have no other evidence or support for this, but I thought I'd share the information as I received it. Of course at this point I only know that my thyroid tests came back fine and I don't know anything much about progesterone. In fact, I don't even know how stuff like that is tested.

I have noticed my thinning hair as my short, layered look grows out. Now that I have a part in my hair, I can see that there is quite a lot less at the front and crown than at the back and sides. And it is gray, not much of a contrast with my white scalp. Male pattern baldness, of all things. Anyway, I still have tons of hair but I can tell it is different than it was a few months ago.

YMMV, as always.

Gingerella72
4-18-11, 10:47am
There are products that can help mask the scalp showing through. Google "Joan Rivers Great Hair Day" (she's been selling it on QVC). It's tinted powder that when matched with your hair color will hide your scalp, kinda like face powder. I think knock-off products are sold at Sally Beauty stores too. I haven't used this powder yet, but came across it in researching solutions to my own thinning hair.

There are so many factors involved in hair loss that it's hard to pinpoint exactly what the cause is. Hormone imbalance, thyroid, diet, heredity, environmental toxins, or a combination of all of these. Upon the advice of my dermatologist I started using Rogaine (the men's 5% foam) as it is the only thing that will make hair grow. Don't buy into all of the shampoos, gels, etc that promise to regenerate hair growth by stripping the scalp of DHT buildup, they are bogus claims. I've been using it for 8 months now and have had some regrowth and my balding areas are much less noticeable now. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to continue using it forever, but I just look at it like it's just another medication. Don't waste your money on the women's Rogaine formula, it's worthless. Use the men's 5%, and don't worry about the warnings that it's for "men only."

Float On
4-18-11, 3:18pm
Upon the advice of my dermatologist I started using Rogaine (the men's 5% foam) as it is the only thing that will make hair grow. I've been using it for 8 months now and have had some regrowth

So are you happy with what Rogaine has been able to do for you. You said 8 months but how long did it take for you to notice any difference? My DH is so upset about his thinning hair but I know he would get upset if he didn't see some results pretty quickly. He is one of those types who thinks you should see immediate results from everything and gets upset when he is still coughing 2 minutes after taking cough medicine. I may have him talk to our hair stylist and see if short extensions would help plump up the thinning. I know that won't do anything for the receding hairline but if it could help a little it might be worth it.

Kestrel
4-19-11, 12:20am
Gingerella, thanks for the info about Rogaine. I might just give it a try. But yeah, eight months? I'd like quicker results than that too :) ...

danna
4-19-11, 5:54pm
thyroid connection is real; I have very thick hair and loss a lot of it with low thyroid but it seem to mostly grow back in once my thyroid levels were corrected.

Gingerella72
4-20-11, 5:37pm
Rogaine is definitely not an instant fix, it does take time. It's a long-term committment, and I'd say I started seeing a difference after 4 months. Some people it might come sooner, some people it might take longer. And, for some it doesn't work at all, you just don't know unless you try it. I'm under no illusions that I'll have the kind of hair I had when I was 21, but if it allows me to somewhat keep what hair I have and I have no obvious balding spots, I'm happy.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/Gingerella72/IMG_0491-1.jpg
This was taken in August 2010, right before I started using the Rogaine
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/Gingerella72/IMG_0680-1.jpg
And this was taken December 28 2010. Slightly different angle but it looks (and feels) much fuller.

Catwoman
4-20-11, 6:11pm
OK Gingerella, that looks like an answer to my prayers! Thanks for the pix, think I might need to just check with my physician since I am on thyroid meds

Kestrel
4-20-11, 9:28pm
Wow! I've been using the stuff from Sally's for longer than that, so this seems to do a better job. Actually, I stopped using the gel because I didn't see any results, and now it's worse than it was :confused: ... so I better get right on this ...

Gingerella72
4-20-11, 10:01pm
I had been using the Sally's Nutri-ox and the name brand Nioxin, and tons of different supplements like Saw Palmetto and Evening Primrose Oil for months and months before my dermatologist told me that all of it is pretty much useless for trying to stimulate hair growth. To prevent hair from falling out? The jury's still out on that, but for actually stimulating hair growth Rogaine is the only thing that has been proven to work. I was relieved I could stop buying into the "snake oil" marketing of all those other hair products and save some money.

Now if only my insurance would cover it as a bonafide medicine, I'd be even happier, lol!

Tussiemussies
11-26-13, 4:43pm
My hair has been thinning out badly on the front and crown too. This past year would notice my hair everywhere. Just thought it was peri-menopause but thyroid never crossed my mind. Would like to try the Rogaine but am on so many meds already.